Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

New Original Trilogy

Page: 1 of 1
 onurhic
02-02-2006, 7:44 AM
I heard that Lucas re-filmed the original trilogy with technological new effects in 1996. Does anybody know where i can find them? Or may anybody explain how they are like? I will be glad to any answer.
 Alkonium
02-02-2006, 7:46 AM
It should be easy. They're called the Special Edition. It's not really refilm, they just improved the effects. Plus they're working on an Ultimate Edition, which will be out in 2007.
 MachineCult
02-02-2006, 8:09 AM
You'd be better off getting the Original Trilogy on DVD, it's loads better than the special edition.
 onurhic
02-04-2006, 1:32 PM
Allright thanks guys
 master_skywalke
02-13-2006, 11:40 AM
Their was a refilm of several special effects shots such as the fight between the Tantive IV and the Devestator(It may look like CG but it is definitly NOT CG) (VIDEO CLIP, .rm file) (http://rapidshare.de/files/10900351/star_wars_trilogy_300.rm.html), the Wampa, this shot has been used for the Special Editions. Some people claim that their more re-shots but I don't have evidence of that.
It should be easy. They're called the Special Edition. It's not really refilm, they just improved the effects. Plus they're working on an Ultimate Edition, which will be out in 2007.
:smash:
Lol, its actually its the 2007 Archival Editions, some people claim that Lucas is going to change all the Stormtroopers voices to the voice of Temura Morrison (SP?), Lucas said in an interview he normally was going to do this for the 2004 DVD's but forgot to do it.
 Kurgan
02-13-2006, 8:17 PM
You'd be better off getting the Original Trilogy on DVD, it's loads better than the special edition.

Well in terms of visual quality, yes, it's lots better, but in terms of content, that's debatable. I think in some ways its better, in other ways worse.

Good:
Removed pink glows from various CG scenes on Tatooine in ANH
Intro to Mos Eisley looks slightly better than before (first shot)
Ian McDiarmand looks kinda cool as the Emperor.
Removal of unnecessarily added Luke scream in ESB.
Better Greedo/Han scene
Better Jabba scene
Great looking lightsabers in the Vader/Obi-Wan fight for the most part
Vader voice "cleaned up" to sound more like ESB (good or unnecessary depending on what you thought of it originally, but I guess it's more toward continuity)
A couple of added lines here and there (don't really add or detract)

Bad:
Hayden ghost replacing Sebastian Shaw and giving a creppy stalker look.
Greedo/Han scene still inferior to the original version
Jabba scene still largely unnecessary
Boba Fett's new (crappy) voice (they even replaced the sound of the Slave1)
Ian McDiarmand's disappointing performance as the Emperor in ESB with new dialouge that is unnecessary and possibly confusing to some people
Fixed Rancor looks way better than before
"Wesa Free!" added to ending celebration (ugh)
Screwed up lightsabers just about everywhere else in all three movies
Screwed up sound in ANH (swapped channels, scratchy lines, horns muted during trench attack except on French track)
 Kurgan
02-13-2006, 8:21 PM
PS: There is no official name for the rumored 2007 editions (the rumors are based on comments made by Van Ling/Lowry Digital in interviews that they assumed the next project would come about for the 30th anniversary and by that time a high def standard should be agreed upon, etc).

So calling them the "ultimate editions" or "archival editions" is just as good as calling them the "Super Jar Jar Editions" until we hear officially. That Lucas comment through me. Did he really say he forgot? How could he forget! (Not that I'd be in favor of so silly a change). He was busy tweaking the Stormtrooper dialouage at the time and he had Temeura Morrison to record the new Fett lines! And this when he already came up with the explanation that they were using multiple clone templates and even conscripting non-clones by the Classic Trilogy era (but Jango Clones WERE still in use in ANH).
 Zappa_0
02-13-2006, 8:52 PM
Arnt they suppose to be putting them to 3-D? Yea some the stuff they did for the OT DVD was kinda a slap in the face basically for the Boba and Shaw. Which you just gave me a good idea. Since I just got a DVD recorder why not record the OT SE. To bad I just have the original SW movie and not ESB and ROTJ. Then I could make myself a good box set. Might have to go ebay hunting for those.
 Prime
02-13-2006, 9:05 PM
Which you just gave me a good idea. Since I just got a DVD recorder why not record the OT SE. To bad I just have the original SW movie and not ESB and ROTJ. Then I could make myself a good box set. Might have to go ebay hunting for those.I'm way ahead of you. :D
 master_skywalke
02-14-2006, 10:57 AM
Then I could make myself a good box set. Might have to go ebay hunting for those.
(This is not for advertising, its just to inform him to stay away from ebay) You should better go and check www.originaltrilogy.com) , their are already many DVD boxsets made of laserdiscs that contain the OOT, their have been tranfers from the '97 laserdisc for the SE and the "OCPMOVIE' Classic Editions", this are basicly the DVD's with the SE elements literally painted out with laserdisc footage, and it really looks fantastic. Again this is NOT for advertising and these tranfers are for FREE. This is just to help keeping Zappa_0 from buying crappy bootleg DVD's.
 Kurgan
02-14-2006, 5:32 PM
Yes, though the less said about it the better. People can find that information on their own. Such things have high potential for abuse (such as the people selling bootlegs on ebay). We assume that such people who obtain such fan made materials understand that they need to own an official copy of the movies first and should not be confused with official products or seek to profit from such materials, etc. The last thing we need is to get Lucas Legal upset with us over such a confusion!

You can legally purchase original Laser Discs and VHS tapes of the unmodified original trilogy from places like Ebay though (which is different than bootlegs, because these things were officially released, though now "out of print"). But there's no reason to pay for a fan edit when you can obtain those edits for free, as the fan editors intended.

Many fans are not satisfied with the movies as the 2004 edition presents us, and with digital editing being so available nowadays, it only makes sense that this kind of thing will happen and be widespread.

So anyway, point made, 'nuff said about that. ;)
 Samnmax221
03-13-2006, 3:38 AM
Heres a good question who still has the unedited box set (one last time). I do but my dog chewed the box up.
 Prime
03-13-2006, 12:28 PM
I have it...
 Foshjedi2004
03-13-2006, 12:37 PM
I have the Original Releases and the Special Edition rerelease from the 1990s. I'm not getting the DVD version until all 6 are released in a mega box set
 MachineCult
03-13-2006, 3:40 PM
I'm not getting the DVD version until all 6 are released in a mega box set
It's not going to come out any time soon...
 Commander Obi-Wan
03-13-2006, 5:48 PM

Meh. I can wait.
 Samnmax221
03-17-2006, 8:25 PM
And that better be because Lucas is working on Indy 4
 Commander Obi-Wan
03-18-2006, 11:02 AM
And that better be because Lucas is working on Indy 4

Yeah. That what we heard.
Page: 1 of 1