Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Freeze at title Screen

Page: 1 of 1
 BigBearScot
01-21-2006, 8:09 AM
Hi all,

I have just downloaded the demo, and the installation is fine. But when I run the game it freezes on the title screen and when I open the task manager it says the program is not responding. I then tried to switch back to the demo and it still stays at the title Screen, I then have to close the program in the task manager in order to quit. I have left this screen for half an hour just in case it takes a long time to load.

I have also installed the latest Directx version that comes with the demo.

Has anybody got any ideas on how to fix this ?

I am going to try a couple of things

Download and install from another mirror
Try the demo on my laptop(Pentium M 1.7ghz , Geforce Go6200 128MB, 512MB RAM)

System Specs
AMD 3000XP
1GB RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 pro 128mb(latest drivers installed - 6.1)
120GB Seagate Hard drive
Directx 9.0c

Thanks,
Brian
 Nook29
01-21-2006, 8:35 AM
This exact same thing is happening to me. I ran the tests to see if my computer could play the game, and it past them all.

I've tried downloading and installing again, but neither work. It's really starting to annoy me.
 Scarlet
01-21-2006, 8:43 AM
Try installing the latest drivers for your graphics card.
 BigBearScot
01-21-2006, 10:13 AM
I have installed the latest catalyst drivers from ATI's website. I am currently downloading from another mirror to install it onto my laptop.

Cheers for the help so far.
 Scarlet
01-21-2006, 10:16 AM
Okay cool, tell me how it goes!
 j-muny
01-21-2006, 10:54 PM
mine does it, but i just walk away for alittle while and the main screen comes up, try re-installing it or dl another copy.
 Kurgan
01-22-2006, 12:22 AM
Yeah. Mine had an absurdly long load time (still does), and appears to have frozen, but really isn't. Just give it time.
 Prime
01-22-2006, 12:48 AM
Yeah. Mine had an absurdly long load time (still does), and appears to have frozen, but really isn't. Just give it time.I have this problem as well. Kurgan (or anyone who has had success but a long delay), can you confirm that when you do a Ctrl-Alt-Del that yours says Not Responding?

EDIT: I got it to work using the minimize/maximize solution mentioned in another thread...
 BigBearScot
01-22-2006, 11:13 AM
well I downloaded from a different mirror to install on my laptop and the installation program doesn't work. When I double click nothing happens.

Laptop specs
Pentium M740 1.7ghz
512 MB RAM
80 gb hardrive
Geforce Go6200 128MB

Back to the issues with my main computer -

I have also tried the minimize/maximize solution from another thread, I have kind of ran out of ideas. I will probably try a reinstall on my main computer to see what happens(from a different mirror again).

PS. when I first tried it on my main computer I left the title screen on for 20 minutes while I played Killer 7 on my PS2, did you guys need to leave it for longer than that ?

To sum up what I have done so far

1. Installed on main computer - Freeze at title screen
2. Reinstalled - freeze still occurs
3. Downloaded from a different mirror for Laptop - Installation dosen't work
 Kurgan
01-22-2006, 1:03 PM
I will have to check to see if it actually says not responding, then finally loads up...

I mean you can wait and you can wait, but if it takes more than 5 minutes, forget it. I mean, if you have a 2 ghz machine that otherwise meets the minimum system reqs and it takes that long, is it really worth it? Either we can hope the real game is more optimized or just wait until you upgrade to play. And we're talking about loading it up for the first time, not some super high settings on a low end machine, right?

A demo is very useful for seeing how the real thing will run on your machine though, so if you can't put up with the delay here...

Then again I'll check just to be sure I'm not misleading anyone (which is not my intention). I remember my brother's computer used to be so slow back in the day, he had to wait 15 minutes in order to load up Thief, but the game was so good, he was patient, though most people would have given up. ;)
 BigBearScot
01-22-2006, 7:07 PM
It seems like I am destined not to play this demo :)

I tried to download from another mirror, and it failed with about 10% to go. I will try to download it tomorrow.
 BigBearScot
01-23-2006, 6:59 PM
Finally got it working, I downloaded from another mirror and then installed it on my main computer. No freeze at Title screen it went straight to the main menu.

Now to bring down the Empire :)
 vader815
01-24-2006, 7:58 AM
if you are talking about the first screen that comes up you should just wait a long while, i give it 7 minutes max
 BigBearScot
01-24-2006, 8:26 AM
if you are talking about the first screen that comes up you should just wait a long while, i give it 7 minutes max

I was waiting for about 20 mins, I just decided to download from a different mirrior which worked with no problems.
Page: 1 of 1