Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Survey - How would you like to find out when a new version of Kotor Tool is released?

Page: 1 of 1
 Fred Tetra
01-19-2006, 1:13 PM
Since it is important to always have the latest version of Kotor Tool, I'd like to know how users would like to find out when a new release is posted.
 ChAiNz.2da
01-19-2006, 1:20 PM
well.. for regular visitors of the site (like me) your posts tend to do the job quite well. That is, when the auto-updater hasn't already told me so :D

And "newsletters" can be a pain in the arse to both the author and receiver, IMO. Plus my SPAM filters would kill it unless I knew beforehand to tell it not to kill it ;)

Not sure if it's possible, but having an auto-update for the maps and .bfd files would be pretty sweet.. though not sure if it would be possible (or a nightmare) to incorporate..

in case you're wondering, I'm an advocate for the "auto-updater".. that little treasure has helped me out tons of times
 Fred Tetra
01-19-2006, 1:23 PM
well.. for regular visitors of the site (like me) your posts tend to do the job quite well. That is, when the auto-updater hasn't already told me so :D

And "newsletters" can be a pain in the arse to both the author and receiver, IMO. Plus my SPAM filters would kill it unless I knew beforehand to tell it not to kill it ;)

Not sure if it's possible, but having an auto-update for the maps and .bfd files would be pretty sweet.. though not sure if it would be possible (or a nightmare) to incorporate..

in case you're wondering, I'm an advocate for the "auto-updater".. that little treasure has helped me out tons of times

You responded before the poll was finished being edited, heh heh. Click the your choice(s) and cast your vote! :)
 ChAiNz.2da
01-19-2006, 1:30 PM
You responded before the poll was finished being edited, heh heh. Click the your choice(s) and cast your vote! :)Doh! :fist:

hehehe.. call me "over-eager" then ;)

Okie Dokie, I voted.. (gee, I wonder which way ;) )
 Darth333
01-19-2006, 1:40 PM
Hehe good thing you allowed us to select more than one option in that poll :D

I picked 3 options:
1. Via forum title / 1st posting : allows us to see right away if there is an update and quickly check what's new.
2. Announcement on Kotor Tool site's news page: visitors know right away if they have the latest version of KT and what is the date of the last update.
3. Automatic or manual check from within Kotor Tool: very practical for those who don't bother to check and who already have KT

and about the rss feed well if you want I would be ready to add something on the main swk tools page when next time we update the site ;)
 Fred Tetra
01-19-2006, 1:55 PM
Hehe good thing you allowed us to select more than one option in that poll :D

I initially thought you couldn't do a multiple-choice poll.

Maybe I should have made you select just one! :) I'll probably go with the most popular one(s); I have to reduce my "posting effort". If only I could call the posting.php page with the new info, I could automate that, too!

and about the rss feed well if you want I would be ready to add something on the main swk tools page when next time we update the site ;)

There is a link to this on the Kotor Tool site: http://kotortool.starwarsknights.com/rss.php)

Go ahead and use it if you like
 Achilles
01-19-2006, 2:05 PM
I went with automatic or manual check and direct email.
 T7nowhere
01-19-2006, 6:13 PM
I voted for RSS feed, I'm starting to use them more and more.(Maxthon's awesome)

Also Automatic or manual check from within Kotor Tool. I prefer manual check to automatic.
 rgdelta
01-19-2006, 7:08 PM
I voted for the autoupdate and the e-mail option autoupdate does not seem to work at all and I did e-mail because with this moved to a thread that is not linked under the KOTOR->Editing lucasforums I forget to check this page for new updates.
 RedHawke
01-20-2006, 12:26 AM
I voted option 1, 3, and 5 myself! :D
 stoffe
01-20-2006, 10:00 AM
I voted for:
New forum posting for each release, since no one else has, and it looks a bit silly with a forum with only one (now two) threads. :) It also makes it easier to spot the release post than having to dig through that huge thread for the announcement.

Announcement on Kotor Tool site's news page, since I check there for new versions on occasion (though the color scheme makes the text on the new site a bit hard to read).

I did not vote for:
Automatic or manual check from within Kotor Tool, since my computer don't like automatic updates for some reason. Neither the one in KotorTool nor the one in Firefox gets anywhere, it just stops and nothing happens. :confused:

Via Kotor Tool RSS feed, since I don't know what RSS is. :)
 T7nowhere
01-20-2006, 10:37 AM
^^^ What is RSS (http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/12/18/dive-into-xml.html)

Its basically an easy way for Users to see their favorite sites news headlines with out having to go directly to the site unless something interests them. I actually found out about the latest version of KT yesterday through the sites rss feed. :)

I've only been using it a short while but Maxthon has had a rss reader built into the browser for atleast a year now.

Edit: btw Fred the manual check didn't work for me yesterday, it just reported that I had the latest version, which I didn't.
 Darth333
01-20-2006, 10:53 AM
I voted for:
New forum posting for each release, since no one else has, and it looks a bit silly with a forum with only one (now two) threads. :) It also makes it easier to spot the release post than having to dig through that huge thread for the announcement.
I would rather see different threads on the main Kotor tool features (example: module editor) as it's hard to find relevant info dealing with specific issues in a huge thread or multiple general threads but that's just me :)
 Fred Tetra
01-20-2006, 3:44 PM
To address some of the items above...

I was thinking of having a section for each of:

Announcements (New version annc. and other "urgent" info)
FAQ
Module editor
NSS compiling (could go under FAQ, but could also be it's own sticky)
(perhaps some of you could suggest other sections you'd like to see?)

As far at the auto-update feature goes - it still works, but it "looks" to the original Kotor Tool site as opposed to the new one, so it never announces a new version being available. It is also pretty limited right now, and I have thought of expanding it to offer more than just a main Kotor Tool download; for example, new version and map announcements, downloads of MapInfo.bfd, and other pertinent news.
 Jeff
01-20-2006, 5:18 PM
I voted option 1, 3, and 5 myself! :D
Me too, I think if you do all 3 of those nobody should miss when a new version of KT comes out.
 Darth InSidious
01-21-2006, 4:53 AM
1,2,3 + 6 are the one's I picked...
 rgdelta
01-21-2006, 12:07 PM
To address some of the items above...

I was thinking of having a section for each of:

Announcements (New version annc. and other "urgent" info)
FAQ
Module editor
NSS compiling (could go under FAQ, but could also be it's own sticky)
(perhaps some of you could suggest other sections you'd like to see?)

As far at the auto-update feature goes - it still works, but it "looks" to the original Kotor Tool site as opposed to the new one, so it never announces a new version being available. It is also pretty limited right now, and I have thought of expanding it to offer more than just a main Kotor Tool download; for example, new version and map announcements, downloads of MapInfo.bfd, and other pertinent news.

Ok that makes sense why it always says I have the newest version if you release another version that would sound great.
 darthbudge
01-25-2006, 9:57 AM
Man I wish I would have known I could have Voted for more then one.

Well I voted Email cause I like getting email that aren't spam.

I would also do a New forum posting for each release.
 Joris1
01-30-2006, 8:12 AM
I think it would be good via e-mail.
 Darkkender
02-01-2006, 1:36 PM
I went with the first 3 options as well Fred. As much as the AutoUpdate feature is nice my machine I use for modding & gaming never goes online as a form of manual firewall to protect it as much as possible from viruses.(not that it always works.) I also have a feeling there are others out there like me. So if you base your decision solely on the results above and choose only one then the Auto-update wins hands down and then many of us wouldn't know of the latest releases. If you went with the top 2 picks that would be great. Preferably one of the top picks would be one that involves a Holowan announcement.
 TheOssusKeeper
02-02-2006, 2:04 AM
I usually check the forum title to see if it's been updated with a new version number, but i have also subscribed to the forum/thread so I would get automatic email notifications telling if theres been a new post or update to the thread, then I usually just check out the thread title and posts to see if there were any updates.
 Doc Valentine
02-09-2006, 9:26 AM
I voted 1,2,3 and 5, since I feel those are all the best way to do it, that way you can print what changes have been made on your site and Holowan, and still be able to have it go through by automatic update. That way if people dont check their mail frequently, they can get the benefits as well.

-Gsccc
 Fred Tetra
02-16-2006, 2:05 PM
Thanks to everyone who voted.

Top 3:

Automatic or manual check from within Kotor Tool
Via forum title / 1st posting
Announcement on Kotor Tool site's news page
 Fred Tetra
02-16-2006, 2:19 PM
Thanks to everyone who voted.

Top 3:

Automatic or manual check from within Kotor Tool
Via forum title / 1st posting
Announcement on Kotor Tool site's news page

I will be implementing a new type of version checking (see here) (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?p=2002389#post2002389) from within Kotor Tool in an upcoming release, most likely available to those who've contributed to the Kotor Tool effort.

The announcement on the Kotor Tool site is now handled automatically by the Kotor Tool deployment app.

Finally, as for the forum title, I will continue to set it for each release. (Though I wish I could call the PHP page for editing a post instead of having to log in manually and do it; then then Kotor Tool deployment app could do that, too!)
Page: 1 of 1