Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Owen and Beru knew about Anakin I think

Page: 1 of 1
 Jaden25
12-04-2005, 5:06 PM
Hey I was watching SW:ANH the speacil edition and I noticed when Luke
started talking about that R2 might have belonged to ole Ben Kenobi the
atmosphare changed at the dinner table kind of like it was on EP II anywho
I wonder if Beru and Owen didn't now about Anakin really being Darth Vader
let me know if you guys have noticed these kind of things since seeing the
prequels thanks
 edlib
12-04-2005, 5:49 PM
There's a couple of such moments:

Obi-Wan pauses just before telling Luke what happened to his father.
When Aunt Beru tells Uncle Owen "... Luke just has too much of his father in him."
"That's what I'm afraid of."

So, I think the aunt and uncle knew the circumstances that brought Luke to live with them.

Remember, Lucas had the entire series outlined before making the first film. He already knew where it was going, and all the back-story.
 The Doctor
12-05-2005, 8:01 PM
Of course they knew. Do you think they were going to say to themselves:
"Hmm. Let's just accept a baby we know nothing about from some strange guy in a robe we've never met before"?
I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but they had to know. There's no way they didn't.
 TK-8252
12-05-2005, 8:21 PM
Thanks for telling us something we already knew.
 PoiuyWired
01-03-2006, 2:20 PM
Well, I think a more interesting would be, How much do they know about Anakin?

Now, they may not know about the whole thing, cause Obi can well be holding back quite some info.
 han sala
01-04-2006, 11:37 PM
Well, I think a more interesting would be, How much do they know about Anakin?

Now, they may not know about the whole thing, cause Obi can well be holding back quite some info.

True..

P.S The edit button is your friend Jaden
 Paelon_Veers
01-13-2006, 5:05 PM
I'm sure they knew to some extent. Remember, Anakin visited their homestead in Attack of the Clones.
 PoiuyWired
01-13-2006, 8:49 PM
Well even Obi won't tell them all the stories/facts....

"... oh, and that night we were drunk, and cold, and lonely, and this one female jawa walks by..."

" ... oh and this kid's father enjoys shoving his 'saber through that youngling, halfway kebabed, while she screams for mercy..."

I don't think so... :)
 Kurgan
01-14-2006, 4:11 PM
Bear in mind that while some dialouge in ANH has changed over the years, none of it really was altered, added, or removed to be more "in line" with the prequels.

Lucas seems to have made up major plot developments as he went along. He didn't have AOTC mapped out back in 1977, or (probably) in 1997 either. So what seem like plot inconsistencies may be just that. The story has simply changed since that time, so you can try to find ways to explain them or just ignore them.

Here's some examples of changed dialouge. Note, nothing about Anakin's backstory or anything interesting like that.

Aunt Beru's lines all re-dubbed by a different actress (and now her lips don't quite synch up properly) saying the exact same lines.

Threepio saying "we've stopped" in the sandcrawler.

A stormtrooper on the Death Star saying "close the blast doors" before someone says to open them.

Luke saying "blast it Biggs/Wedge where are you" during the Yavin space battle (the line changes back and forth).

Somebody saying "You've got one on your tail" during the space battle" added, then removed again.

The scene with Red Leader and Biggs talking to Luke briefly before the Yavin Battle added in the Special Edition (note: this MIGHT be considered a change, since in the screenplays he mentions meeting Luke's father or having known him and how if Luke was half the pilot he was, he'd do alright. In the current SE scene added in 1997, a pilot wearing a weird helmet crosses in front of the trio at the moment when he'd be saying that line, perhaps to cover an edit out of those lines. I guess Lucas didn't play to include some 20 year old meeting Anakin in Episode II or III!)

A stormtrooper on the Falcon saying "there's no one here," added in the 2004 edition.

Stormtrooper searching Tatooine knocks on the door where Threeio and R2 are hiding and either says "The door's locked" or "this one's secure."

Not really a piece of dialouge, but the "Kraytr Dragon call" (the novel from 1976 calls it this, the movie doesn't explain it) that Obi-Wan does to scare the Tuskens is altered in the 2004 edition so it lacks the end part that sounds like a Dewback roar.

Also the echo-effect of Luke talking to Leia when they first enter the pit area over the broken bridge on the Death Star has been re-done to sound more natural.

Some people have claimed over the years that Vader's lines in the SE or 2004 Edition were re-recorded to sound more like James Earl Jones's inflection of Vader's voice in the later movies, but I don't hear this. It just sounds like they cleaned up or re-sampled the same sounds to remove the more canned "muffled" part of them apparent in a side-by-side comparison of say, ANH and ESB. If they were actually re-recorded, he did a dang-great job of sounding EXACTLY like he did 27 years ago! (which is more than I can say for the actors re-recording Boba Fett or the Emperor in the 2004 editions).

So yeah, all the stuff is still in the trilogy that might "cause problems" for the prequel plots. Owen and Obi-Wan still talk about each other as if they have more of a past we never saw onscreen in any movie, Obi-Wan still doesn't remember owning any droids, Owen still doesn't seem to recognize Threepio or does a dang good job of covering it up. And in ROTJ Luke still doesn't remember his mother but Leia does. And many more little things that annoy us fanboys.

But we can't ALL be such dedicated nerds... ;)
 edlib
01-14-2006, 8:42 PM
Well, I know for sure that the "Close the blast doors!" line existed in the very first version of the movie, back in '77. It's subtraction in subsequent versions always bugged me.

A lot of the audio inconsistencies have been explained by Ben Burtt.

The very first versions of the audio mix were mostly mono. A few stereo mixes existed, but they were primitive. Most theaters were strictly mono back in '77, and most didn't have hi-fi speakers, and most of the audio was printed optically on the actual film stock, which is pretty bad sounding.
When the movie was re-released in subsequent versions the entire mix had to be re-created from all the original recorded elements each and every time; first to hi-fi magnetic stereo, then again for early surround (left/right/rear,) Dolby surround, and so on. Each time the mix was slightly different, due to not being able to find some of the original lines or FX elements, or degradation of the tape of certain recorded elements, as well as just human error. (There was no mix automation back then, so you had to do a full scene at a time as a performance, so every time was slightly different. If you messed up you had to reset everything and do it again.)

When the special editions came out everything was digitized to pro-tools and cleaned up with the CEDAR process, certain elements were lost and had to be replaced and re-created from scratch, others found that had been missing and put back into the mix, and certain other "creative decisions" were made. Again, everything was re-mixed to take advantage of high-fidelity 5.1 Dolby Digital or SDDS sound systems that most theaters have these days, with sub-woofers and stereo surround speakers, and far extended low and high-frequency reproduction.

The CEDAR process, as well as just digitizing everything, could explain why certain things sound far different than we remember. It's likely that the filter effect on Vader's dialog is a digital plug-in these days, for example.

The other movies in the series were far better organized with the audio, and didn't suffer quite the same fate.

Her's an article that describes some of the challenges he faced: http://lavender.fortunecity.com/hawkslane/575/starwars-advanced.htm#)

There was a Mix Magazine article that I read once that went into more details, but I can't seem to find it on the web anywhere.
 Kurgan
01-16-2006, 5:34 PM
So that's why he's so talkative in interviews, he really did a lot of work.

Hats off to the guy and that's really great. I just wish he'd let some others get a word in edgewise on the new DVD's! (Or else just put in a seperate track for him to ramble on)
Page: 1 of 1