Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Color me bad...

Page: 1 of 2
 Cygnus Q'ol
11-16-2005, 8:23 AM
Who would like to alter, enhance or change your lightsaber colors?

I don't mean just changing the crystals.
I mean with enough XP and the right crystals and fixtures found about in the game, you get the ability (using a workbench of course), to alter the hue or brightness of your selected color(s).

I wouldn'd mind a double colored saberstaff either.
... I had one in a dream once.
 The Doctor
11-16-2005, 11:57 AM
I don't like the idea of a multi coloured doublesaber. It doesn't seem natural. I do, however, agree that we should be able to change the brightness and intensity of the saber blade.
 Axe Windu
11-16-2005, 2:14 PM
Yeah... I mean we can take lightsaber customization up a notch but we cant get crazy with it. I think it would be cool if everyone had there own saber. By that I mean when you make your saber its (enter names) saber. And if someone is using there saber they get a +1 to hit with it. And maybe different sabers can have different things about them to more costomize the feel. Maybe you could change the way the hilt and stuff looks too. Serioulsy though in the movies you see Green, Blue, and Red. Mace Windu has his purple which is due to him getting some rare crystal on a quest or something...? So I dunno if we have to get that crazy with colors. Maybe a pink saber would be cool or different variations on the same colors.
 Achilles
11-16-2005, 3:57 PM
I really don't see how that will enhance gameplay. Considering you'd have to have individual model and texture files for each of the individual shades or hues, you're also wasting a lot of space on something that isn't going to have that much "wow" factor.
 KOTORwhore69
11-16-2005, 4:11 PM
I would totally make a pink light saber with a aqua colored handle shaped like a Ketchup bottle. The ketchup bottle handle could squirt this aqua liquid that when placed on hot dogs it turns the persons skin thats eatin it green and its shrinks their penis to the size of 4inch speggeti noodle. That would kick ass. And ingraved on the bottle it would say Premium Knighty Olds Juice in Dark black writing. Just imagine what a Jedi would be capable of doing with that kind of light saber. He could rule the Universe single handedly.
 lukeiamyourdad
11-16-2005, 4:12 PM
^^^^
Agreed.

Besides, it's the crystal that gives the saber its color. It wouldn't be "realistic" if you could alter it that easily.

Color crystals should be more accessible though.
 johnhawke
11-16-2005, 6:24 PM
um.. yeah.. a ketchup bottle shaped saber... These two fellows in the White Robes will take you to a place where you can have all the ketchup you want. ;)
 Hallucination
11-16-2005, 6:40 PM
I thought about it a while ago, but I came up with the idea to add 'shading crystal slot'. In that slot you could put one of 2 crystals (a darkening one and a lightening one) one crystal makes the saber a lighter colour (red becomes pink etc.) and one make the saber darker. I don't really care to much about saber colour, as long as they have purple.
 johnhawke
11-17-2005, 7:37 AM
I seem to remember reading somewhere that purple identifies with a rogue in the Jedi order. Hence Mara's purple saber. It didn't make sense for me to see mace with one until I heard that it was a contractual thing with SLJ so he would stand out in the Geonosis battle. Of course I could be wrong, but I swear I heard that somewhere. Maybe, idk....
 Cygnus Q'ol
11-17-2005, 8:47 AM
I really, really, really want a Black lightsaber.

Impossible you say?
I think not.

I know of a way it can be done. It would be too sweet.

"Upon my presence with a black saber, all jedi would cower in fear..."
 Amor
11-17-2005, 11:16 AM
Then how could it be done? Black color with white glow? IMO that wouldn't look really realistic...
 Axe Windu
11-17-2005, 3:26 PM
Yo I thought Mara Jade had a pink saber. And Mace Windus purple overrides Maras purple even if it was purple. Because Mace Windu was in a movie and Mara Jade is just in EU. It was more of a request from Jackson then a contract thing and Lukas agreed. He also wanted BMF on his hilt (I kid you not) because of pulp fiction but Lukas was like ok no. Originally in episode 1 the Mace action figures had a blue saber and the hilt was different. It was only after they decided to expand upon the role that Jackson requested purple. Now apparantly he built his Amethyst and Gold lightsaber between episodes 1 and 2. However he supposidly had purple the whole time and the reason being in EU is Mace when he was though Mace was the best pupil of the jedi trained with him he was the last to complete a saber. When asked why he told the council he wanted a real challange to collect the best pieces to complete his saber they sent him back to his home planet of Haruun Kal to find these pieces. There he saved a native from falling into a chasim and was rewarded with a unique Amethyst crystal... a crystal that produced a unique purple blade of a lightsaber. Also if a rogue had purple wouldnt Jolee or Quigon Jin have purple? Actually I gave Jolee purple purely because he was black and I think all black people should have purple light sabors. Seroiusly its my favorate color but especially for black people. My favorate PC in all Star Wars RPG Axe Windu... Mace Windus great great whatever whose a Jedi Weapon Master. See Axe is also a one syllable midevil weapon like Mace... see what I did there...
 Hallucination
11-17-2005, 6:45 PM
^^Axe Windu.... learn how to use paragraphs. It helps people take you more seriously.

@JohnHawke: That 'rogue jedi' thing you said sounds like a Wikipedia or Super Shadow to me. And Super Shadow gives you AIDs.
 The Doctor
11-17-2005, 7:26 PM
@Ace Windu: How do you know what colour lightsaber Windu had in TPM? we never see it, so we'll never know. Please state your source on this "information".
 Axe Windu
11-19-2005, 1:53 PM
the actions figures from TPM of Mace had a blue lightsaber... also the hilt in TPM was different then the hilt in Ep2 and 3... so there is debate whether Mace just changed the hilt and it was the same crystal or if in that time period he contructed an entirly unique and new saber, his newer saber also was laced in some type of gold. EU says Mace always had purple but non EU says he changed it between movies thats why in the 1st movie the action figures were blue. I just think they didnt know yet what color he had.
 Engma48
11-19-2005, 3:35 PM
im not so sure about changing the hue of the saber blades, i was thinking that when you make your first lightsaber then you can change the designs of the hilt and the color of the blade, and also the upgrades, but to keep it from being too powerful you cant upgrade the blade but only build it with the enhancements, that way you will have to get all the crystals first before you build it then put them in, after you build the lightsaber, you wont be able to change any of the crystals inside it
 Engma48
11-19-2005, 3:38 PM
also to comment on the lightsaber of mace windu, in the books and storyline of star wars, it says that mace windu got his purple crystal before he built his lightsaber, he always had dreams and visions of his lightsaber and wouldnt create it until it would look like his visions. then one day he saved the life of a boy who gave him the unique crystal of his lightsaber that is why he is the only one with a purple lightsaber in the movies
 DarthLinde
11-19-2005, 6:52 PM
All this Mace Windu history stuff hurts my brain. But, back on topic, I don't really like that idea because yeah like someone way up there said, the crystals controls it, and, well I don't want to work that much on it. And, uh, everyone stole my ideas! Everyone who disagreed I agree with them.
 Engma48
11-19-2005, 6:56 PM
i apologize for the Mace Windu history, hehe, he is my fav character from star wars, simply because Samual L. Jackson is the man
 Sabretooth
11-19-2005, 11:48 PM
My concept is that you can have multiple colour crystals and the power crystals too have colours, so that they overall affect the lightsaber's look. For eg. Adding a green and blue crystal will give a cyan blade, or a yellow+red crystal will give you orange etc.
 RobQel-Droma
11-20-2005, 4:30 PM
I think that would be a good idea, but I don't think that we should have multi-coloured saberstaff.
 Cygnus Q'ol
11-21-2005, 8:30 AM
I think that would be a good idea, but I don't think that we should have multi-coloured saberstaff.

Why not? You don't have to use it if you don't want to.

"I want, I want, I want, I need, I need, I need!"
 JediMaster12
11-21-2005, 11:04 AM
I wouldn't mind something in which the power crystals could visibly affect the coloring and properties of the lightsabers. After all didn't Master Zhar say that the crystals could alter the coloring or even the properties of the lightsaber?
I do say this however, I hated building a lightsaber but a Jedi must learn to build their own if they want to pass the trials and be granted the rank of Padawan.
 Hallucination
11-21-2005, 7:17 PM
^^Exactly. The crystal could affect the blade colour and power. Most crystals only affect one thing. Thats why there are 3 slots. You answered your own question...
 Liit Orda
11-30-2005, 8:46 AM
Perhaps the ability to alter size, much like how Malak has a bigger lightsaber in Kotor? That'd be cool.
 Cygnus Q'ol
11-30-2005, 9:47 AM
Perhaps the ability to alter size, much like how Malak has a bigger lightsaber in Kotor? That'd be cool.

Exactly! I was even toying with the idea of the single blade that can transform with a click to the staff, much like Darth Maul in Episode I.

I would very much like to be able to do this. However this may create a problem with crystals and upgrades. There must be a way to do this.
 lukeiamyourdad
11-30-2005, 10:58 AM
Exactly! I was even toying with the idea of the single blade that can transform with a click to the staff, much like Darth Maul in Episode I.

I would very much like to be able to do this. However this may create a problem with crystals and upgrades. There must be a way to do this.

I like the idea too, but I don't think there's any problem with the crystal and blade. Afterall, the double-bladed saber uses the same upgrade and crystal slots.
It wouldn't be a problem at all.

For a longer blade though, I'd like it if they made it a seperate saber style. Like how the regular is a standard long sword and the long blade a mighty claymore. Something like that would be interesting.
 Rediy
11-30-2005, 1:16 PM
I like the idea too, but I don't think there's any problem with the crystal and blade. Afterall, the double-bladed saber uses the same upgrade and crystal slots.
It wouldn't be a problem at all.

For a longer blade though, I'd like it if they made it a seperate saber style. Like how the regular is a standard long sword and the long blade a mighty claymore. Something like that would be interesting.

Yeah, that could be very cool. I'd like to see different sized, styled and types of sabers. Maybe some new effects. I'd like to see the game go into some hardcore dynamic lighting, dx9 style.

If you wanted more customization for the saber, perhaps you could customize your hilt. Say there are like 10 options for a few different sections of the hilt, that you can cycle through when you are building it allowing you to mix and match. While it wouldn't effect game play, it could add a little more immersion, as it is custom built for you and you alone.
 Cygnus Q'ol
11-30-2005, 1:36 PM
Yeah, that could be very cool. I'd like to see different sized, styled and types of sabers. Maybe some new effects. I'd like to see the game go into some hardcore dynamic lighting, dx9 style.

If you wanted more customization for the saber, perhaps you could customize your hilt. Say there are like 10 options for a few different sections of the hilt, that you can cycle through when you are building it allowing you to mix and match. While it wouldn't effect game play, it could add a little more immersion, as it is custom built for you and you alone.

Yes, yes, customize!!! I would like to customize most everything useable.
Like I said, I like my options.
 JediMaster12
11-30-2005, 7:02 PM

Way cool idea. I've often wondered why the devs couldn't do that for the game. Maybe there is hope for KOTOR 3.
 Cygnus Q'ol
12-16-2005, 11:21 AM
Would you use a special crystal that changes blade color with the mood/health/ or alignment of the user?

Example: Jedi Gardian or Sentinal. Trouble ensues and you breakout the saber.
It's brilliant blue hue flashes as it crosses with a red sith saber. Depending on the battle, or your foe or your demeanor or health, the saber slowly changes hue then its color altogether.

Perhaps, as I get stronger or weaker, or angrier or calm, my saber reacts with a color change during combat. Of course this would be an unlockable item at some point and used only if desired.
 JediMaster12
12-16-2005, 3:55 PM
Gives a whole new meaning to the term mood swings.

Statement: Interesting idea. Musing, I think the Master would appreciate a mood lightsaber.
 lukeiamyourdad
12-16-2005, 4:43 PM
That would be bloody annoying.

It would mean that all Jedi are feeling sad because of their blue lightsabers.
 PoiuyWired
12-16-2005, 8:17 PM
Lets have the JA+ pimpsabers!!! :)
 Jae Onasi
12-16-2005, 10:16 PM
I like different color options, but if forced to choose between the devs putting in color or power upgrades, I'll go for the power upgrades any day.
 RobQel-Droma
12-17-2005, 12:36 AM
Statement: Interesting idea. Musing, I think the Master would appreciate a mood lightsaber.

:lol: Jedi Weaponsmasters: Sad Jedi.
Jedi Watchmen: Scared Jedi
Jedi Master: Sick Jedi

That is kind of funny, actually. And then - Sith whatevers: Embarrased. :giggle1:

I don't really care if they change the color crystals any more, I liked the colors they had now. Of course, just a couple more crystals would be nice. As for everything else, I don't really care.
 Aurora Merlow
12-17-2005, 5:13 AM
I don't mind the idea, wouldn't be opposed to it
 RobQel-Droma
12-17-2005, 5:35 PM
...Haruun Kal...

Actually, as I remember, he got the purple crystal from a planet called Hurrikaine. Something about "...braving the rock-encrusted natives..."

Why not? You don't have to use it if you don't want to.

But if they put that in the game (which I doubt) then there would probably be someone using a dual-colored saberstaff, so I would see it. Secondly, it doesn't seem Star Wars, it just doesn't feel right. Kind of the same way I feel about being able to wield dual saberstaffs. More for a mod idea than anything.
 Darca Lar
12-17-2005, 8:36 PM
Wielding two saberstaffs seems a little unreal for the ideal jedi, even for someone like Darth Maul who was extremely well trained, it just seems much too hard to master without a limb being cut off.
 lukeiamyourdad
12-17-2005, 8:42 PM
As far as I know, lightsaber combat still has some realism to it, including how someone can realistically fight. Two double-blades would be almost impossible to master. Even if someone did, it would be too hard to wield for nothing.
 Cygnus Q'ol
12-19-2005, 12:53 PM
Dual saberstaffs is just plain silly.

Multi-colored saberstaffs...

Well, it was just an idea. no harm done.
I guess I'd have to see how it looks.
 JediMaster12
12-21-2005, 12:05 PM
I see more gray than dark or light and both extremes annoy me, but I will say this, the color options for the color crystals in TSL were good, more choice but I can't recall if there was a clause for the color of the blade in the Jedi code.
 Cygnus Q'ol
12-22-2005, 9:17 AM
I see more gray than dark or light and both extremes annoy me, but I will say this, the color options for the color crystals in TSL were good, more choice but I can't recall if there was a clause for the color of the blade in the Jedi code.

Has anyone seen the sith use anything but red?

Guardian: Blue
Sentinel: Yellow
Counsular: Green
I don't think there are restrictions for changing color. I haven't seen anything in the code that limits color use.
 jedi3112
12-22-2005, 9:37 AM
How about altering the color by using the basic Red/Green/Blue setup of the color. I think setting the percentage of the maximum of each color would give you plenty of options to tweak the color of your blade. It would also make for a black or a white saber (all colors to 0% or 100% respectively). It also gives you about 1 million (very slightly) different options for the color.
 Cygnus Q'ol
12-22-2005, 10:39 AM
I welcome a fresh approach to customizing as much as the next guy, and I wouldn't be opposed to a simpler approach to saber color modification.

We'll see what they come up with.
 Ztalker
12-22-2005, 11:19 AM
I do think customizing your lightsaber would be cool.
You can then make a specific colour that you really like, thus ioncreasing your bond with the Pc and increasing game-coolness
 Hallucination
12-22-2005, 12:04 PM
Has anyone seen the sith use anything but red?
On Kashyyyk one of the sith that you fight uses purple.
 RobQel-Droma
12-22-2005, 5:11 PM
I always thought that purple, orange, and red were the Sith colors. Purple is the combination of the Jedi Guardian's blue, and the Sith's red. Orange is the combination of the Sentinel's yellow, and the Sith's red. And so on- they are like "in-between" colors.

But usually you only see Sith using purple and red. As for more Sith using purple, several of the Sith Lords on Dxun used purple, and at the endboss battle Traya calls up those three purple floating sabers.
 ChAiNz.2da
12-23-2005, 4:27 AM
well.. purple is actually a "Sam Jackson wanted to stand out in a crowd" color ;)

But many theories are out there to give it a more "elegant" history to it's existence.

My favorite is because of the Force Form Mace Windu uses borders Dark Side tactics.. the combination of Red (Sith) & Blue (Jedi) makes his saber "Purple"...

Seemed appropriate and although a bit convenient for explanantions, it didn't hurt my feelings :xp: hehehe
 jedi3112
12-23-2005, 6:52 AM
I always thought that purple, orange, and red were the Sith colors. Purple is the combination of the Jedi Guardian's blue, and the Sith's red. Orange is the combination of the Sentinel's yellow, and the Sith's red. And so on- they are like "in-between" colors.

You forgot
Yellow is the combination between the Jedi Consular's green and the Sith's red, so there goes that theorie
Page: 1 of 2