Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Price Drop on OT 2004 Special Edition DVD's

Page: 1 of 1
 Jaden25
11-13-2005, 8:19 PM
Has anybody seen a price drop on the classic star wars trilogy DVD's yet I
thought with the sucess of ROTS on DVD there might be a price slash on the
three classic movies.Let me know if you guys have heard anything about this
happening thanks
 The Doctor
11-13-2005, 9:05 PM
I don't think it will happen for a long time. Lucas isn't about to give up a perfectly good source of money to keep the ranch warm.
 Kurgan
11-15-2005, 1:25 PM
Yeah ROTS is selling for so cheap anyway, I don't see the big deal. And despite the huge success of ROTS, the original trilogy has a much wider appeal, modified or not.

And it's fairly cheap as far as three movie DVD sets go (barring the super cheap B movie collections of stuff you've never heard of).
 El Sitherino
11-15-2005, 1:28 PM
Indeed, generally a boxset like this will run about $80-$100, instead we got it starting at $40, now you can get it second hand for about $20.
 Kurgan
11-15-2005, 1:31 PM
Well that seems a little high (then again retail stores tend to jack their prices up, ever see how much those season sets of tv shows normally cost? ouch).

I'd say more like $60-75 bucks for a three movie pack... which incidentally seems close (IIRC) to what the "regular price" of the 2004 set was when it first came out, but you could usually find it for much cheaper on sale, etc. so that the average price was like $45 (and now it would be 20 like you said).

Honestly I think $20 is a little above what I'd pay for a DVD. I'd normally pay probably about $19 for one, unless it was something I really wanted and the price hadn't gone down in awhile. So having a boxed set of 7 dvd's (like say for a Star Trek season) for $140 would make sense. But then if you were going by the prices of individual movies that I normally buy it, you'd price it more at $105. Still, there's few shows I like so much that I'd be willing to spend that much on them at one take. Movie box sets are a little more reasonable because you usually don't have that many (usually 2-4, which at 60-75$ is pretty reasonable).

I think from now on I'm going to buy my DVD's online (the ones I do buy rather than rent or check out from the library). I'm sick of getting damaged merchandise from Wal-Mart (despite their cheap prices and fairly easy-going returns... their policies suck like everyone else's but the sales people are pretty reasonable most of the time), and sick of the high prices that never change at other shops like Best Buy, Suncoast/Sam Goody, etc. Though I will browse the used DVD section out of habit. ;)
 El Sitherino
11-15-2005, 1:50 PM
You forget the bonus disc, the bonus disc counts as a movie. (to retailers and publishing companies) :p

Look at box sets like the Superman collection, Akira Kurosawa collection, etc. They were all about $80-$100 upon first release. Hell the Akira Kurosawa collection is still around $80, been sitting at $75 for a few years.

So yeah, we actually got good deals with it sitting at $40-$45.
 Kurgan
11-15-2005, 7:24 PM
Yeah, 11$ a disc!

It seems the prices depend a lot on the popularity of the material. The super popular releases by major companies can afford to lower their prices to move more volume. Speciality releases and cult stuff tends to be more expensive (unless it's really cheaply produced).
Page: 1 of 1