Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What's your favorite version of the Trilogy?

Page: 1 of 1
 Kurgan
11-09-2005, 10:56 PM
A lot of different versions of the Star Wars classic movies have been made and shown over the years. The last DVD set contained modifications to the visuals and audio previously never seen before. The Special Editions radically changed some parts of the movies and did slight tweaks to others. Even back in the early 80's, Lucas was making changes to Star Wars. So what do you think?

Okay, I realize that Lucas has chosen only to release his "definitive vision" the Lowry Digital enhanced 2004 set, onto DVD... (twice in fact, including the "limited edition"), but be honest here.

What are your favorite versions of the original Star Wars Trilogy, and why?

I'm not asking what people own in their collection, though feel free to share if you like (it may be rather difficult to own the original reels for example) but of the stuff you've seen, what's the best to you?

No need to get into a big debate over whether or not Lucas is a good director or has a right to change his mind or his work, but tell what you like or don't like about each version and why you chose what you did. ;)
 El Sitherino
11-09-2005, 11:07 PM
No preference. I still watch my old VHS' from time to time though, even though they're wearing down.

No scenes or story points important to me were affected, so I really have no like or dislike for any version.
 Kurgan
11-09-2005, 11:14 PM
At least tell us what version you have. ;)
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-09-2005, 11:14 PM
The newer editions since I am going to buy them.
 El Sitherino
11-10-2005, 2:00 AM
At least tell us what version you have. ;)
Well, I have the very first releases, 7 copies of the '90 releases (watched em everyday for three years straight, then about every other day or so), 2 of the '92 releases, copy of the "last chance to own" releases, the SE releases, and the DVD's.
 Kurgan
11-10-2005, 3:46 AM
You are a fan! And you have no preference... ;)
 Prime
11-10-2005, 10:17 AM
I probably like the DVD versions the best. I love the improved visuals and cleaned up footage. I also like that if Greedo isn't made to shoot first again, at least he and Han are more or less shooting each other at the same time. I also like McDiarmid being added to ESB. Overall, I'd say that the improvements overshadow the bad parts (poor lightsabers and Hayden at the end).

But I'm also glad I still have my copies of the originals. :)
 Jeff
11-10-2005, 10:28 AM
I also probably like the new 2004 DVD versions. Though there was a lot of stuff in there that they did not improve very well (lightsabers and boxes around the TIE fighers in ANH), but unless you are looking for those, they are hard to notice. Overall I think the new improvements make the movies much better.

Though the VHS's are always fun to watch. I have the 1995 VHS set, and then the 2004 DVD version.
 Lady Vader
11-13-2005, 7:23 PM
I had the VHS version first but videotapes are going out of style fast, so I got the DVD version (which is much better anyway, in visuals, sound, and pretty much all other aspects).
 The Doctor
11-13-2005, 10:07 PM
I like the DVD's released in 04. They're higher quality.
But I guess the VHS versions are now antiques:xp:
 master_skywalke
11-14-2005, 4:14 PM
I only saw the DVD version, so I voted for the DVD version. I am going to search for an antique VHS release of 1995 or earlier because I really want to see the original version of the OT :D
 MachineCult
11-14-2005, 4:15 PM
Even the 1997 version is alot different to the 2004 version.
 JediConsularAD
11-14-2005, 5:43 PM
i voted the 2004 version, i think that it is of amazing quality which i can watch day and day again, the vhs are still good but i quite like the small touches like new effects and changing the vader fiqure to hayden christian since he so he goes back to befor he was dark.
 Kurgan
11-15-2005, 2:23 PM
I hear they are still selling the LaserDisc versions on places like Ebay. If you're looking for something more long lasting than VHS you can transfer to DVD for convenience, that might be a good route. ;)

Of course you can encode your VHS copies too, but the quality won't be as good!

Interesting bit of trivia... Star Wars was officially released in theaters (in the USA) 6 times!

1977 (premier)
1978 (re-release)
1979 (re-release #2)
1981 (re-release #3, "Episode IV: A New Hope" added)
1982 (re-release #4)
1997 (Special Edition)

The 2004 Editions have only appeared on DVD (not VHS?) but rumor has it the next release will be in '07 or '08 with the "3-D Trilogy." ;)

Empire Strikes Back:

1980 (premier)
1981 (re-release)
1982 (re-release #2)
1997 (Special Edition)

Return of the Jedi:

1983 (premier)
1985 (re-release)
1997 (Special Edition)

Very interesting, and I didn't know this until I checked, but Episode I: the Phantom Menace did come back to theaters a second time. The movie premiered in the USA in May 1999, and returned in December of the same year (it was the ONLY country it was re-released in). Indonesia finally got the movie on TV (only?) in 2005 (ditto for AOTC)!

Attack of the Clones has NOT been back since its first theatrical run. And neither has ROTS (though it's only been six months...).

Source: IMDB.com (btw their trivia/alternate versions/goofs pages for the original trilogy are horrible and need editing badly!)
 SarahSkywalker
03-14-2006, 6:09 AM
I voted for the 2004 DVD edition. I don't why I like it, many fans don't like the changes that George made, but I think it really enhances the movies for me.
 Lord_MalaKdoggk
08-30-2006, 11:20 AM
I have the 'original' VHS release (pre- ep.4), and the TXH version but am wondering why it's referred to as 'faces' edition ??

My preference is the THX version widescreen (because I LOVE the music) and Hate the 'ring' around the death star explosion found on all later versions.
They've only been inside a VCR twice (once to view, the second time to put on DVD). Ever since the 'special editions' we're released the music timing has been off IMHO, tho' I havent seen the 2004 releases.

I even have the original trilogy music on albums (vinyl baby!).
 Pho3nix
08-30-2006, 11:33 AM
I like the 1997 special editions. The 2004 DVD editions would be my favourites if it weren't for those crappy looking lightsabers.
 Fealiks
08-30-2006, 12:40 PM
I don't have any preference but I'm hoping to get the 2004 DVD box set in a vouple of weeks.
 Negative Sun
08-31-2006, 10:56 AM
DVD version, but I cant't wait to see the OT on DVD like it was back in the day...
 Jeff
08-31-2006, 12:51 PM
When the original dvds come out that version will probably be my favorite :D
 Great Scott!
09-12-2006, 7:34 AM
The DVD versions, aside from the crappy lightsabers, I love Hayden in the ending, Palpatine in the hologram, and A New Hope not actually looking low-budget. And I've never noticed any boxes around the ties...

But I was watching a commercial for those new DVDs of the OST coming out, and it shows that scene where the lightsabers hit each other in front of the Emporer, but it actually doesn't look messed up... unless they took this from the original version, they apparently fixed it. If they did, than I'd probably have no "buts" for saying the DVD was my favorite.

Oh, and what do you mean by "faces" edition? Is that just because of the box art? I don't think that warrants the name... just 1995 version seems fine.
 Jan Gaarni
09-12-2006, 10:59 AM
I too have no real preferance.

In my mind, I like the old Blue Box set from the early 90's best, but I don't mind it being cleaned up and better sound. But some of the scenes, like Greedo shooting first, and Young Anikin at the end of RotJ has got to go. :D
Same with the sound mixing in atleast ANH from the 2004 DVD release.
In my mind, the mixing is not done right, or you have to have a THX system to hear it propperly. Cause you are not supposed to have to turn down your volume from normal when the Falcon exits Hyperspace at Alderaan, just so you won't rumble down everything you got on your walls and tables. And then you have to turn up your sound from what you normally listen to to get the same sound/music volume (and thus the feeling :) I love that particulary peice) when the Falcon is pulled into the Death Star hangars.
The opening scene is also been changed in the later releases, I prefered the original mix, both sound-wise and music-wise. Music is not powerfull enough, and the same with the sound actually. There used to be a calmness higtning your anticipation of what was about to happen, before all hell broke loose as the Tantive IV flew past the camera (only a faint engine sound in the background indicating something is about to happen), which was perfect for the scene if you ask me.

Anyway, I'm rambling again. :)

I like some aspects of the newer releases, and dislike others, and preferably I enjoy the old ones better, preferable the Blue Box set (I suppose that's the 1995 release?). :)
 Jeff
09-12-2006, 11:13 AM
When the original dvds come out that version will probably be my favorite :DWhen I said this I didn't know how crappy the quality of the original dvds would be. I don't even know if I'm going to buy them.
 Kurgan
09-12-2006, 3:27 PM
They're no crappier than any previous version released on the home market that I know of. These should be as good as the best LaserDisc pre-1997 versions.

You can always rent 'em and see for yourself, of course. ;)

Oh, and what do you mean by "faces" edition? Is that just because of the box art? I don't think that warrants the name... just 1995 version seems fine.

Yes, that's just because of the box art, but then I've seen many other fans refer to it that way. I put it in quotes because it was not an official title, just what fans call it. The other covers were based on the original movie posters. These sets used photocollages consisting of a closeup of a face (Yoda for ROTJ, Vader for ANH and a Stormtrooper for ESB) and then some other stuff in the background (ships, fights).

Before the internet my friends just called it the "THX Enhanced Trilogy" because that's what it was marketed as. Back then we didn't have a half a dozen versions to worry about.

It's funny, now people are referring to the "OUT" (Original Unaltered Trilogy.. which sounds more clever than OOT-- Original Original Trilogy, sort of like calling the 2004 editions "Special Edition: the Special Edition" or SESE!).

Blame Lucas. ;)
 BigMike322
09-29-2007, 9:57 AM
I like the 1995 THX version. It sharpens that sound and what not, also it was Chewbacca getting a medal. That was the one content change that I liked. Also what are the Jawa fan edits, and where might I find them?
 PoiuyWired
09-29-2007, 2:30 PM
*prepares sharp pointy sticks used for painful execution*

Well, I hope no one here enjoys "Greedo Shooting First"
 BigMike322
09-30-2007, 10:13 AM
*prepares sharp pointy sticks used for painful execution*

Well, I hope no one here enjoys "Greedo Shooting First"

That is the worst part of the remakes.
 Han-Solo
05-25-2008, 7:33 PM
2004/2005 DVD editions (by Van Ling and Lowry Digital)
 Iron Rose
06-01-2008, 11:39 PM
Each one that Han shoots first in. Lucas should have never changed that.
 M@RS
06-01-2008, 11:41 PM
I have no preference, I really don't watch Star Wars a lot
 TKA-001
06-02-2008, 8:17 AM
I have no preference. I know that lots of people are insanely against the ridiculously small changes made (like Han shooting second) in subsequent versions to the point that they form secret societies about it, but I'm not among those... people.
 Jedil3thal
06-19-2008, 2:31 PM
:D2004/2005 DVD edition versions:xp:
 PoiuyWired
06-22-2008, 3:46 PM
I have no preference. I know that lots of people are insanely against the ridiculously small changes made (like Han shooting second) in subsequent versions to the point that they form secret societies about it, but I'm not among those... people.

Well, normally I don't mind small variations. I may be annoyed by some "like the loud song in jabba" but I am fine with it eitherway.

But the Han case is special, it defines Han. Basically that is HIS ENTRANCE and HIS INTRODUCTION to the whole Saga.

Its like changing the entrance scene of Terminator from being nikkid to him wearing white spendax.
 Rev7
06-23-2008, 2:55 AM
I don't watch Star Wars much either, but I chose the 2004/2005 DVD editions. I like that they are digitally remastered, and stuff. It just looks better I guess. If it wasn't digitally remastered I would go with no preference, just because Star Wars is Star Wars no matter what the format. ;)
 The Source
06-23-2008, 3:02 PM
What's your favorite version of the Trilogy?
I like all of the original triology translations except the "Return of the Jedi" 2005 version. There are some elements in all of the 2005 versions, which I completely believe should not have been edited. (Han must allways shoot first & Sebastian Shaw will forever be Anakin Skywalker.) All the other additions that came out in 2005 were pretty cool.
 MacTavish
06-24-2008, 8:29 AM
I'm waiting for it to come out in HD, although watching the movies on any format is still fine.
 GeneralPloKoon
07-19-2008, 12:05 PM
The DVD versions!
 Dude111
02-05-2015, 9:09 PM
No preference. I still watch my old VHS' from time to time though, even though they're wearing downPlease try to go easy on them,ya dont wanna lose em!!! (Cant ever be replaced)

I love the original 3 movies (NO CHANGES)

I am much for PURITY and Star wars to me IS THE ORIGINAL 3 UNALTERED MOVIES (As in the original idea)

The BEST 3 part movie ever made!!
Page: 1 of 1