Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What Star Wars Episode is your favorite?

Page: 2 of 3
 The Doctor
12-13-2005, 9:51 PM
I think RotJ is still the best movie to date. ESB is a close second, followed by RotS, then AnH, TPM, and AotC coming in last.
 Kurgan
12-16-2005, 1:05 AM
I forgot to say WHY I liked ROTJ the best... let's see:

Character development for Luke. He's matured into a Jedi. In ANH he started out as the whiny naive kid, in ESB he's screaming and banging his head on things, still wet behind the ears. Awesome space battle. The Battle over Endor is THE best space battle in the entire series. Sure, the CG-fest in ROTS is pretty, but the action is much harder to follow and it's over far too quickly. There's no sense of urgency, it's just "oh look at this huge battle" and then we're focusing on hitting the buzz droid's central eye. The action in the ROTJ battle is intense, can be followed, and is moving towards a desperate conclusion. Flying inside the Death Star? Cool. The scene where the generator explodes and the Falcon whooshes ahead of the fireball is just awe-inspiring.

Great lightsaber battle. Sure, ROTS was packed with lightsaber battles, but they were rather short, full of CG and flips, plus the lightsabers had a weak sound when they hit each other. The blades looked pretty though. TPM has the best lightsaber battle in my opinion. We get to SEE the action for most of the second battle (not the one with Maul in the desert), and it looks awesome. The blades look like the classic blades of ESB/ROTJ and not quite as overdone as they do in the later two prequels. But ROTJ's is up there. It's intense, and the blades sound and look awesome (well they looked awesome until Lowry Digital screwed them up, but they still look pretty darn good).

Jabba the Hutt ROCKS. Not that imposter in ANH, and no, the fat Irish guy (rest his soul) is NOT Jabba. He was never intended to be, he was purely a stand in for a scene that didn't work. ROTJ Jabba IS Jabba, period. ;)

A giant slimy puppet could have been silly, but it was pulled off fantastically. He was every bit as memorable a character as Yoda was in ESB. Jabba's palace rocks. Now those are some scary/weird/cool aliens! And the Rancor was great. Though I will admit in the Special Edition the bad matte lines and blue screen artifacts became painfully obvious, those were fixed in the last edition.

Boba Fett dies. Yes! I admit, much of my pleasure at seeing him meet his Maker is due to my disgust with the fanboys that spurred his wankishness in the EU, but still. Cool looking character, gets pwn3d, nuff said. ;) It was the will of the force, end of story!

The Emperor. Steals the show! A witchy guy cackling could really have been silly, but his lines are pure gold. His "psychological" battle with Luke is convincingly pulled off. Excellent. The music, the lightning (forget the Emperor's slugs) and everything in that scene in the throne room is awesome and just gives me chills.

Speeder bike chase. So unsafe, so fast. So much fun to watch! No CG was used, and it still was awesome.

People bash ROTJ because they hate Ewoks, and they wanted the focus to be on Han Solo (or worse, they wanted him killed off) instead of Luke (face it, this movie was his time to shine). They whine about Fett's death or they get upset that Yoda basically tells Luke he's ready for his final challenge and then dies, but really, ROTJ is the best for me. I love it. Each of the other movies has its purpose and place in the trilogy, and they all have their strong points and weaknesses, but ROTJ will always have that special place in my heart. Even to this day, it just rocks. ;)

My sister's boyfriend apparently had some kids over (nephews or cousins or something) who were like "Star Wars sucks" so he showed them the original version of Jedi and they liked it. Now that's the power of the Force, baby!
 Katarn07
12-16-2005, 3:44 PM
Kurgan's thoughts all ring true. Warm fuzzy feelings of me as an 8 year old kid watching his new VHS boxset (the last before the release of the SEs a couple years later) at least once a month, shooting up all the scum and villainy he could in Dark Forces, and playing with his vintage and PotF2 action figures come back to me. I miss the original theatrical cuts of those films and classic SW gaming of the '90s where it wasn't all about marketing but rather the game itself and all the action figures before they were remolded, repainted, and recarded 1000x over. I'll even overlook the mentioning of Boba Fett's death. I thought he was cool all on my own before the internet or any fan club subscriptions. He lives on despite George's attempt to kill the cool off in AotC! :p
 Aenon Jurtis
12-18-2005, 2:39 PM
i'm torn between episode III and Episode VI both are i think equal, VI becuse of the space fight, and III because of the lightsaber battles and Yoda's lines. though i wish their were more dogfights in VI and the space battle was drawn more out. but between them i can't decide though i do like every one of the movies and i wish that lucus will extend the series
 PoiuyWired
12-21-2005, 2:05 PM
Well, ESB is coolest story-wise.

RotJ is also nice, it must be the great epic feel that I like. RotS almost have the same, though the feeling is not as great (lack of huge battles) but made it up by finishing the circle, and delivers a nice tragic (even with bad acting) tale.
 Antizac
12-22-2005, 2:46 AM
That says it all, right there, PoiuyWired. :)
 Aayla Secura
12-22-2005, 1:02 PM
I can't decide. I'm stuck between ROTS & ROTJ. They both rock. :urpdude:
 Aristotйlēsticus
12-25-2005, 7:58 AM
Revenge of the Sith is the best, why? because it shows how Anakin became Vader
 Graphic
12-26-2005, 8:07 AM
Empire Strikes Back, all the way. :)Yup.
 sjack
12-26-2005, 4:19 PM
1. Empire Stikes Back
2. Star Wars (ANH)
3. Revenge of the Sith
4. Return of the Jedi
5. Attack of the Clones
6. The Phantom Menace
 The Source
12-26-2005, 6:36 PM
Empire Strikes Back... ALL THE WAYYYY! :)
 Nanda Keon
01-01-2006, 1:20 PM
Return of the Jedi, Episodes 2,3 didn't have that same star warsy feel to it.
 Padawan Learner
01-03-2006, 6:59 PM
Mine is Episode 3 Because It is a little Background on how the empire was formed
and why Skywalker Made the sarfice to turn to the Dark side and you first get to see Darth Vader in the Really cool Armor and why he was put in it
 Darth-Destroyer
01-04-2006, 6:04 AM
Revenge of the sith
great duels more real action
 spaceholder999
01-04-2006, 1:04 PM
A New Hope. :tie: :tie: :tie: :tie:
 revillsp
01-04-2006, 3:45 PM
Its a hard desistion for me, Empire Strikes Bk or Return of the Jedi.....

I'll have to go for Return of the Jedi

Because Empire Strikes back has the best land battle in the star wars uni and has boba fett, my fav villian in it....but.....

Return of the Jedi had Boba fett in (getting kill granted), also has the best Space Battle not to mention the DS2 that could destroy ships as well as planets.
And it also had Leia in that sexy gold Bikini
 PHaNToM_21
01-05-2006, 10:32 AM
ESB by far....it made the biggest impact with the smallest scope imo.

It had the best acting, direction,drama and suspense unsurpassed by any other episode except for perhaps ANH. Also, it introduced perhaps the darkest and most spine tingling of all musical themes, The Imperial March.

I guess the bottom line for me is that ESB personified quality over quantity and susbstance over flash and it had no damn ewoks.
 Darth_Death
01-07-2006, 12:35 PM
episode III by a mile no doubt about it
 Pink leader
01-08-2006, 9:11 AM
Jedi, closely followed by empire, then hope and then revenge
 AnakinSolaris
01-08-2006, 9:55 AM
1.ESB: Best Story ever
2.ROTS: Best FX ever
3.ANH: Just pure Star Wars magic :D

What he said.

But I would add that AotC had the best action sequence in all the films (Geonosis arena battle), and the Phantom Menace for me had the best lightsaber duel (Obi-Wan / Qui-Gon vs Darth Maul). Every one of the films had something memorable about it (in a good way) for me, and that's what makes the Star Wars saga so great.
 hk47
01-08-2006, 5:14 PM
epsiode 3 is my fav the battle with yoda and chancellor and obi wan and anakin were the best ever
 Burge
01-09-2006, 11:08 PM
1. Empire Stikes Back
2. Star Wars (ANH)
3. Revenge of the Sith
4. Return of the Jedi
5. Attack of the Clones
6. The Phantom Menace

QFT.
 Commander Obi-Wan
01-10-2006, 1:22 PM
Revenge of the Sith is the best, why? because it shows how Anakin became Vader

It shows what happens to the Separtists and the elimination of the Jedi. The battle scenes and it finishes the trilogies.
 codj
01-21-2006, 4:46 PM
I voted Revenge of the Sith but I almost chose Return of the Jedi. I don't see why everyone hates ewoks.
 ghostlyshadow
01-22-2006, 1:38 PM
all of them :) :sithk: :smash:
 Jedi_Jon
01-23-2006, 9:03 AM
Gotta love Empire
 Justus
01-24-2006, 8:17 PM
Empire Strikes Back. Great movie, great atmosphere, great character development. I really like how you go from ANH, which the heroes win, kind of a happy feeling, then you go to the second act and everything is falling apart. Great story telling. Empire Strikes Back just has a way to immerse me in the story line, no matter how many times I see it.
 jediofdoom
01-25-2006, 2:52 PM
I think the new films rely two mutch on special affects. Definatly The Empire Strikes back because of the clasic "Luke...I am Your Father!" but it didn's have a space battle which was disapointing. Return of the jedi is a close second. Personally I think the new films don't even compare to the old ones.
 jediofdoom
01-25-2006, 2:56 PM
epsiode 3 is my fav the battle with yoda and chancellor and obi wan and anakin were the best ever

Bah! Luke Vs. Vader. Father Vs. Son. Good Vs. Evil. The most incredibale battle ever and one of the most emotional. I don't see what the hype is about episode III it felt way too rushed and relied so mutch on special affects.
 Chiraen
02-06-2006, 11:23 AM
Episode 1, because of the nice sabercombat scene
 Steve-O Kreesh
02-09-2006, 5:19 PM
For anyone older than 25, it has to be Empire. For a long time, the first trilogy is all we had. Empire is the best film of the three, although Jedi is a close second IMO. Of the newest films, Sith is by far the best film. But my top three are:

1. Empire

2. Jedi (by a narrow margin)

3. Sith
 Foshjedi2004
02-10-2006, 9:00 AM
Empire Strikes Back. Its the best of all of them It has every angle a film needs!!

Love: Han-Leia
Action: Lightsaber battle and the Battle of Hoth
A Cruel Twist: Luke Is Vader's Son
A Cliffhanger: What will the Alliance do with Han Frozen in Carbonite
 StaffSaberist
02-10-2006, 8:00 PM
As so many of you have said, I think III has the most awesome action evah. But the storyline sucks compared to V. I have parents who agree with my second sentence. My dad still believes ANH is Ep. I, because that's what it was in his day!
 Darth Macca
02-11-2006, 10:20 AM
Revenge Of The Sith. The story line is immence, meets episode four brilliantly.
 jediofdoom
02-11-2006, 1:19 PM
Bah episode 3 sucks. Acting is crap story line is crap. Relies to heavily on special affects. For people who grew up watching the originals there is no comparison. Episode III is terrible. It is way too rushed. Anakin's turn to the dark side should not be over and done with in 5 minutes. It should take time. A grual fall to complete darkness would have been more interesting. To see him battle with himself, but then again he is a crap actor so it wouldn't have made any difference.
 Fate's Decision
02-15-2006, 11:08 PM
Boba Fett dies. Yes! I admit, much of my pleasure at seeing him meet his Maker is due to my disgust with the fanboys that spurred his wankishness in the EU, but still. Cool looking character, gets pwn3d, nuff said. ;) It was the will of the force, end of story!

I don't mean to bash but Boba Fett doesn't die. In the books, he is put as the most heavily armed mercinary in the galaxy, and he basically blows the sarlac pitt to smitharines. Though after he heals up from the massive damage he took blowing himself up, the Empire has already fallen and Boba finds himself rather unemployed by anybody.

As for my vote: Attack of the Clones. I can't believe it's losing!!!! Your taste for action breaks my fragile heart! Though I havn't seen ESB in a few years I can definately tell you that the excitement in AotC leaves it in the dust. I mean come on! I'll back myself up.
So, AotC is basically the grand hunt of the SW series. It starts out super-goth, everything is happy and peaceful, and then something blows up and kills a lot of people. Next the mystery begins to form in your mind as they have a few discussions amongst the primary characters, and then the bounty hunter girl chase begins which totally creeps you out, and you can't tell who is winning, who is most likely to win or what will happen once one side wins. Then the hunt for Jango starts, awsome plot where you still can't tell who is hunting or being hunted. Then the confusion at Kamino, Obi-Wan catches Jango red handed, Anakin flips out and goes Darth Vader on all the Tuskens and is all furious, overwhelmed by sadness and pleased with killing all those peoples, which is kinda freaky. Then the best battle of all 6 movies, Obiwan is in trouble and it's 3 heroes vs. hundreds of Geonosians, things look down and then the Jedi appear. Then the droids show up and things look down again and the Jedi are about dead when all the sudden, WHAM! there are hundreds of clone troopers all over the place and it's so awsome that you can't even comprehend how awsome it is. In fact, go look awsome up in the dictionary right now because I can go ahead and confirm that its deffinition is the Battle of Geonosis.
 StaffSaberist
02-16-2006, 12:16 AM
Here's the thing: If Episodes IV V and VI had the saber effects from III, I'd never watch anything else. Ever. It's so frikkin' awesome in Ep. III, but the storyline is only so-so. That's my only gripe with the OT; well that and that scene in ANH where Luke's hands drop a foot after turning off his saber all of a sudden. That's my ONLY gripe with that trilogy.
 CyRiLLiC
02-20-2006, 6:52 PM
Definitely episode V. That's just because I'm deeply in love with AT-ATs. :atat:
 SarahSkywalker
03-10-2006, 2:20 PM
For me, it definitely has to be Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. I went to see it five times in the cinemas and I cried through the first two. It is definitely a powerful addition to the saga and it was so satisfying to see Anakin become Darth Vader and finally link the PT to the OT.
 jediofdoom
03-10-2006, 4:39 PM
It's true the kids today will never understand the simple power of
"luke.....I am your father" becasue it's had the piss ripped out of it so much
 jediofdoom
03-10-2006, 4:39 PM
to to add to that the slow daunting imperial march played for the first time in episode IV
 DarthMuffin
03-12-2006, 8:38 PM
I don't mean to bash but Boba Fett doesn't die. In the books, he is put as the most heavily armed mercinary in the galaxy, and he basically blows the sarlac pitt to smitharines. Though after he heals up from the massive damage he took blowing himself up, the Empire has already fallen and Boba finds himself rather unemployed by anybody.

This is only in the EU. Lucas himself said that Boba had died in the Sarlacc. Officially, he's dead.
 jon_hill987
03-15-2006, 7:25 AM
Bring on the Ewoks! RotJ for me
 Jae Onasi
03-19-2006, 11:17 PM
ROTJ--I'm a big fan of Luke Skywalker, and seeing him finally make it to Jedi status and duel Vader was cool.
One of my favorite lightsaber duels, though, was Darth Maul vs. Qui-Gon and Obi-wan--could Maul move, or what? I know the actor had some martial arts traingin, but geez, was that guy _fast_.
 The Source
03-29-2006, 3:29 PM
I am an Empire Strikes Back fan. I think Empire has the most solid story in the whole saga. Episode III has some great graphics, but ESB takes home the gold.
 Wraith 8
04-12-2006, 5:09 PM
hmmmm tough one....

ep1: the naboo fighters are SO cool... but darth maul makes that movie ok in my book..... but to pick it for the best.... to little of maul to make it so.

ep2: Speeder chase through coruscant. battle between obi and jango. 20 jedi fighting in battle. yoda kicking ass. its very close to my best. but it very much lacked space battle. so it doesnt get it for me

ep3: oh just the beginning gives me goosebumps. the drums at the start and then just POW into spacebattle. (ps i LOVE spacebattles :) ). order 66 was cruel, darkside all over. lets just say plain AWESOME :). (ps again. i love the dark side :p ) and the end battle between obi anakin... wow. very high on my list.. maybe even tied. but no... not the best.

ep4. reminds me so much of the old Star Wars Galaxies game.... its star wars at its best... makes you feel part of it. but no not the best.

ep5: introduced one of the coolest themes.... the imperial march. love it. darth vader at its best... story was great. but it missed my all time favorite thing.

ep6. this had the best thing. a HUGE spacebattle.... massive fighters against eachother.. capital ships.... just great... just AWESOME. ok the ewoks were bad :) but still... the space battle wins it for me.

best in my eyes. ROTJ
 Arch_Nemesis
08-09-2006, 7:28 AM
The return of the Jedi...is my favorite...because Anakin has been redeemed by his son..in the end
 CSI
09-18-2006, 3:02 AM
Well, ROTJ is best because it's a happy landing.
AOTC is the good special effect
ROTS is the best lightsaber duels
ESB is best written...
 Titanius Anglesmith
09-27-2006, 1:58 PM
Episode III is the best in my book. The acting was pretty terrible(except for Ian McDarmid), but the awesome action, music, and emotionally powerful storyline more than make up for it. And in response to what jediofdoom said, Anakin's turn to the darkside takes a bit longer than five minutes-more like 13 years. You should be able to see the anger in his face when, in Episode I, he's told by Mace Windu that he won't be trained. And in Episode II, he shows it when he slaughters the sand people, then gloats about it-"I killed them, I killed them all. They're dead, every single one of them. And not just the men.....but the women.....and the children too! They're like animals, and i slaughtered them like animals! I hate them!" So you're point about the quick change-it doesn't work. Anyway, Episode III dominates followed closely by Episode VI.
 Mace MacLeod
09-30-2006, 1:09 PM
None of the Eps 1-3 are even close to any of the original trilogy. That being said, Sith is by far the best of the new ones, but there's still far too many cringe-inducing lines that would embarrass even the greenest first-year script-writing student.

Best to worst:

1) Empire
2) A New Hope
3) Jedi
4) Sith
5) Clones
6) Phantom
Page: 2 of 3