Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Rancor Battle

Page: 1 of 1
 Lady Traya
11-06-2005, 5:57 PM
Why doesn't Luke use the Force to defeat the Rancor or his lightsaber?

This has been bothering me for awhile.
 Lynk Former
11-06-2005, 8:53 PM
It's just too big, and kinda hard to do with the filming techniques of the time XD
 Darth Moeller
11-06-2005, 9:16 PM
And he didn't have his lightsaber, because it was hidden inside of R2.
 El Sitherino
11-06-2005, 9:46 PM
Because where's the drama in him using the force to crush it's brain within 2 seconds?
 The Doctor
11-06-2005, 10:53 PM
^Exactly what I was thinking.
If he used the Force, there would be no "Oh my God! Luke might die! OMG!!!" crap.
 JawaJoey
11-07-2005, 1:14 AM
Luke's no Jedi Master at this point, as skilled as he is. Even if there were any example of any Jedi or Sith simply "killing" anything, I doubt Luke could do it to a monster of that size. Choking it would be hard, considering the substantially larger and thicker neck, and almost anything internal would still be hard due to unfamiliar anatomy. I'm not saying it's impossible for someone to kill a full grown rancor with the force alone, but it's unlikey that Luke is able to.

Also, there's the panic factor. Anyone without years of Jedi training is bound to be suceptible to the panic and raw instinctual fear of being trapped in a dank cave with a giant, drooling, hungry monster. I doubt Luke's mind was at it's clearest at that point.
 Lynk Former
11-07-2005, 5:00 AM
He would've... I mean how much of an anticlimax would it be if he missed and the rancor ate him XD
 Kurgan
11-10-2005, 2:42 AM
There's a deleted scene where Luke Force leaps up to the grates in the ceiling and tries to go hand over hand. Some Jawas stomp on his fingers :jawa :jawa and he falls back down.

I've seen a pic or two of the scene and descriptions anyway...

Even in the prequels where the Jedi have incredible powers, they often fail to use them at times when they would seem helpful. So I guess they're just forgetful at times (suspension of disbelief?). ;)
 RobQel-Droma
11-10-2005, 10:25 AM
There's a deleted scene where Luke Force leaps up to the grates in the ceiling and tries to go hand over hand. Some Jawas stomp on his fingers and he falls back down.

Now that would have been funny. A bunch of little Jawas jumping up and down on his fingers. Where did you see the pics?
 Kurgan
11-10-2005, 1:00 PM
I believe it was either Jedinet.com or StarWarz.com. Anyway there's out there. ;)

The pic you'll probably find is one that has Mark Hamill handing onto the grating.
 Kurgan
11-15-2005, 1:45 PM
I'll post these later if I remember... ;)
 Kurgan
11-17-2005, 12:31 AM
 PoiuyWired
01-03-2006, 2:23 PM
Well, maybe he forgot to put points in force techniques... like that time I forgot to put points in force absorb...

Or, its more fun to watch this way.
 Justus
01-23-2006, 7:07 PM
Plus Luke wasn't quite the Jedi his father or Obi-Wan was, I doubt he knew that beast trick Anakin used on that Reek.
 Kurgan
01-23-2006, 7:12 PM
Who knows. But back in 1983, we had no conception that Jedi could do those sorts of things anyway. About all we could have hoped for was for Luke to use the force to activate the switch (rather than throw a skull at it, though he could have used the force to guide his aim), mind trick the guards to open the grate for him, or levitate the monster so it couldn't attack him. Apparently in the novel IIRC, he sensed the mind of the beast was just pure rage and anguish, so he couldn't really communicate with it. Perhaps Luke was so terrified that it was hard for him to concentrate properly.
 han sala
01-23-2006, 9:13 PM
Luke was so terrified that it was hard for him to concentrate properly.

Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to the Dark Side.
 lord ignarn
01-24-2006, 4:09 AM
I have read that in the heroґs travel. He must show is excellence the "aretй". So he must show what he is able to do without his powers. There is a book about a Star Wars exposition with was made at the Smithsonian a couple of years ago, all about the travel of the hero is told there. Itґs a quite interesting book about the roots of SW.
 MachineCult
01-24-2006, 2:44 PM
Why doesn't Luke use the Force to defeat the Rancor or his lightsaber?

This has been bothering me for awhile.

He wasn't well trained enough to use the force directly to defeat a creature as big as the Rancor, and his lightsaber was inside R2D2.
Thats all there is to say.
 Jan Gaarni
01-24-2006, 3:30 PM
Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to the Dark Side.
Fearfull is one thing.
Terrified, that's something else. ;)
 Justus
01-24-2006, 4:21 PM
Going a bit off topic, but it is interesting how Luke is basically falling in his father's footsteps. He enters Jabba's palace and is so arrogant and full of himself with words like "You can either profit from this or be destroyed...etc." I think it's obvious Luke WAS falling towards the darkside, he just didn't realize it until the final duel.
 JekRendar
01-29-2006, 5:34 PM
Going a bit off topic, but it is interesting how Luke is basically falling in his father's footsteps. He enters Jabba's palace and is so arrogant and full of himself with words like "You can either profit from this or be destroyed...etc." I think it's obvious Luke WAS falling towards the darkside, he just didn't realize it until the final duel.

Brilliant! Lucas is very big into parrallelism and I never noticed this until now.

Also, for those people that keep talking about the "size" of the Rancor...

:newbie: I can't...it's too big.
:yoda: Size matters not! Judge me by my size, do you?
 MachineCult
01-29-2006, 6:27 PM
I'm sure if he had his Lightsaber he would have used it.
 PoiuyWired
02-14-2006, 3:03 PM
Well, nothing says he cannot have a blaster or vibroknife on his person... but he choose not to bring it.
 MachineCult
02-14-2006, 3:31 PM
He didn't need a blaster or a "vibroknife".
Page: 1 of 1