Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WinXP 64....Compatable?

Page: 1 of 1
 UFDF C.Reed
10-16-2005, 7:36 AM
Hi guys, im new here, but a long time star wars fan. I have a 64bit machine, with xp64, and i cant get my xwa or xvst to even install. have altered the compatability modes, but no luck. is it possible to get them to work? or are my games lost to the darkside forever? :vsd:
 Wildstar
10-16-2005, 11:04 AM
The problem is that XvT and XWA need a 16-bit loader to load the installation program (which is 32-bit and otherwise compatible) and, as you might have figured out, the 64-bit XP doesn't natively support 16-bit code. Research into the problem is going on @ the XWA Upgrade Project and we will let you know if we find a workaround.
 TheOssusKeeper
10-16-2005, 11:26 AM
The problem is that XvT and XWA need a 16-bit loader to load the installation program (which is 32-bit and otherwise compatible) and, as you might have figured out, the 64-bit XP doesn't natively support 16-bit code. Research into the problem is going on @ the XWA Upgrade Project and we will let you know if we find a workaround.

Thats wierd that you can't get them to work in compat mode...
Thats basically what compat mode is for, running 16 and 32-bit apps on a 64-bit version of Win.... Have you consulted your Win. doc.'s for help on the compat. part?

you may need to make a new autoexec.bat file and a new config file for these games to be compat... don't know if that will help or not, I'm not using the 64-bit version...
 UFDF C.Reed
10-26-2005, 1:55 PM
Not altered any files to speak of, i'd probably mess that up! I'll wait on any news you have, thanks all the same guys!
 Wildstar
11-18-2005, 5:17 PM
Good news...a workaround has been posted on this thread (http://www.xwaupgrade.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=000610) and will eventually be incorporated into the official "Problems FAQ" on XWA Upgrade. :D
 UFDF C.Reed
11-23-2005, 1:42 PM
yay! cheers guys!
 UFDF C.Reed
11-23-2005, 2:18 PM
:( I tried it to no avail. The only difference i saw was the version in the reg you made up, its 2.02, mine is 1.0. Thats the only thing i altered. When i click on setup it just says its not compatible with 64bit, or its designed to run on a machine but not the current one. So i copied as you said all the files to the directory you said, did the reg bit, clicked on setup...nothing! where did i go wrong?
 Wildstar
11-24-2005, 8:16 PM
C.Reed

Try changing the version # in the .reg file shown in the thread. You should be able to apply the 2.02 patch (found on LucasArts.com or on Darksaber's site) later. If there are still problems, post them here, and I'll direct Admiral Alistair (who assures me what he posted works) to this thread. Or post in the thread I gave you. ;)
 Wildstar
11-25-2005, 2:58 PM
Just thought of another thing, C.Reed, after looking @ my own copy of XWA. You should not be trying to run setup.exe. The files on the CDs are actually uncompressed and the setup program just copies them over to the hard disk. But, if you followed the directions in the thread, they will be already copied, therefore, there should be no need to run "setup". :D
 UFDF C.Reed
11-25-2005, 4:57 PM
Ahhhh...the penny drops! Got it going, thanks friend. Just one more thing, what about contents of disk 2? where does that go, or does that happen automatically? Oh and where can i go online, i have broadband.
 Wildstar
11-26-2005, 10:54 AM
Disk 2 probably should be copied, to be on the safe side. As far as online play goes, you might want to hang around the BattleStats forums (http://www.battlestats.com). Being the "Week of War" people, they'd know more than anyone about playing online.
Page: 1 of 1