Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Darth Vader's Force skills, gosh!

Page: 1 of 1
 Darth Andrew
10-07-2005, 11:47 PM
I've been wondering for a while that since Darth Vader can't use Force Lightning (http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a45/DarthAndrew/File0012.jpg), how does he use Force Choke or Force Pull? Force Lightning I guess requires a flesh and bone hand, but why do Choke and Pull not require this? Also, in Episode V, how does Vader manage to choke Admiral Ozzel when they aren't in each other's presence? Help a fellow geek understand this. :p
 El Sitherino
10-07-2005, 11:51 PM
He can't use lightning because it would destroy his life support system in his suit.
 90SK
10-07-2005, 11:58 PM
Yeah, and force lightning is messier. I mean, it may stray and overload nearby equipment, or catch other officers. It's just a big hassle, while choke is much more precise and menacing (if less impressive).

But regardless, as Insane Sith said, he can't use it anyway.
 Darth Andrew
10-08-2005, 12:27 AM
But regardless, as Insane Sith said, he can't use it anyway.But then how does he use choke, pull, etc? Does it flow through the artificial arm and 'activate' with the certain hand motion?
 El Sitherino
10-08-2005, 12:34 AM
Those are telekinetic powers, as in they're powers of the mind. Force Lightning uses the arm as a projection device.
 Darth Andrew
10-08-2005, 12:38 AM
Those are telekinetic powers, as in they're powers of the mind. Force Lightning uses the arm as a projection device.Then what's the point of Vader's infamous 'handgrip' motion whenever he has a choke hold on someone? Does it help him focus, or is it just for show?
 El Sitherino
10-08-2005, 12:39 AM
Then what's the point of Vader's infamous 'handgrip' motion whenever he has a choke hold on someone? Does it help him focus, or is it just for show?
Theatrics holds a power of it's own.
 90SK
10-08-2005, 2:31 AM
Does it help him focus, or is it just for show?

A visual always helps, yeah. But he doesn't always need to; remember when he kills Admiral Ozzel?
 coupes.
10-08-2005, 7:54 AM
Remembre when he chokes Admiral Ozzel in Empire Strikes Back, he's not moving, he's not even in the same room, so his move was basically just for show.
 Jan Gaarni
10-08-2005, 10:47 AM
:wstupid:

Like the others said, choking people or pushing, pulling, or blocking, any of that is unnecessary to use your hands at all. Though maybe when you pull stuff towards you it might be wise to be ready with your hands to catch it so this (http://www.starwarsspoofs.com/bespin.html) doesn't happen. :D

Basically, it's for dramatic effect. And I don't mean movie dramatic effect on the silver screen, just plain and simple dramatic effect. :)
 Kurgan
10-09-2005, 5:18 AM
I don't see why he can't just build some special "lightning gauntlets" into his suit's arms, since they're artificial anyway, but I guess LucasLiscensing has spoken, and it's "official." Blah... ;P

It's all because they wanted to have Dooku use lightning, now they have to explain why every Sith can't use it! Of course it's even more common in the games and EU...
 JawaJoey
11-07-2005, 2:25 AM
Why do people assume that he can't use Force lightning just because he doesn't? It's possible that in the case of lightning, actual connected fingers help, but maybe Vader just prefers Choke becuase it's no muss, no fuss, no chance of shorting out the delicate electrical equipment that keeps him alive.
 Kurgan
11-10-2005, 3:49 AM
True. Maybe Force Lightning just isn't Vader's style. Very sensible explanation, actually. ;)
 RobQel-Droma
11-10-2005, 11:30 AM
Well, apparently he can't use it because of of his mechanical arms. But like everything else, it doesn't require the hand things. Those were just for show I guess, so that people wouldn't be choking all around Vader and he wouldn't be doing anything noticeable.

EDIT: Ha ha, that spoof was super funny :D. Make sure when you pull something you have the power to stop it.
 Kurgan
11-10-2005, 2:02 PM
How about this... Vader has removable hands. He pops off his robot hand and shoots lightning out of his stump!

*Forwards the idea to Lucas* :lol:
 ABCIMe123
08-18-2006, 12:11 AM
Yeah, telekenisis is all done in your mind. And if you think about it to a certain degree Force Grip could be considered a Force Push and Force Pull around a person's neck.
 coupes.
08-18-2006, 12:54 AM
Please stop bumping old threads. This one is almost a year old. :disaprove
Page: 1 of 1