Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

cockpit views?

Page: 1 of 2
 Blackrider27
10-02-2005, 3:30 PM
well everyone is wondering if there will be a cockpit veiw like in bf1. someone from pandematic said that they will not take anything away and just add, but the beta had no cockpit(haha cockpit). So if you have any info please post it here

-Blackrider27
 TK-8252
10-02-2005, 4:21 PM
They took it out for SWBF2.

No clue why.
 MachineCult
10-02-2005, 4:51 PM
It was never in the PS2 version of SWBF1.

No clue about that either.
 Kurgan
10-02-2005, 6:37 PM
It would suck if they took this out of the final game as well.

In SWBF1 they were kind of useless, since as all starfighters were basically "bombers" against infantry with so little flight area, you needed all the screen view you could get. The internal cockpits got in the way.

BUT, now that you're in full open space, a cockpit view makes sense, since you have vast distances to squint over, and you have people flying in front of you etc. It would enhance the immersion.

While I can see them wanting to save time by not having to create new HUDS for the new vehicles, it seems rather lazy of them. If anything the huds would be more helpful to most vehicles in this game than they were in the first one. :P

Keeping away the first person views for these vehicles further perpetuates the "this is a console port" atmosphere.
 zerted
10-02-2005, 7:50 PM
Everyone together now: "<b>I want a cockpit view. I want a cockpit view. I want a cockpit view...</b>"
 Blackrider27
10-02-2005, 8:03 PM
someone should write a letter saying that they will lose a lot of bussiness without it
 McCusto
10-02-2005, 8:48 PM
Well, they won't. Trust me. Plus, I would believe it would be too late to add it.

I never used it, anyways.
 zerted
10-02-2005, 8:53 PM
I used it.
 TK-8252
10-02-2005, 8:54 PM
I used it.

*Raises hand*

I as well.
 Kurgan
10-02-2005, 9:25 PM
Ditto here. Sometimes it's just easier when you're aiming for something in front of you.

Just as I toggle back and forth between 1st and 3rd person in infantry combat, I do the same with vehicles.

My comment was in regards to the use of Starfighters (I don't consider the Republic LAAT in that list). These fast moving vehicles tended to crash into the ground unless you were carefully paying attention to what was in front of you at all times, which made the cockpit view dangerous to use. With the space maps, this danger is no longer a problem.

Give us the option. That means some more time spent creating some HUDS, but there you go. I mean they could give us a bare bones "first person view" that's just zoomed in with a semi-transparent model, but whatever. The cockpit view definately has the "I'm there" aesthetic going for it, and that's supposedly what SWBF is all about... to immerse you in the Star Wars battles (and we all know how accurate that's been, but still... they say they want to give us that, so do this, it's a step towards that "goal").
 Kurgan
10-03-2005, 2:15 AM
Update: I see you do have a "first person" viewpoint in the starfighters, but it lacks the cockpit HUD graphic like in SWBF1. :P

Found another bit of unrealism on the space map... contrails! Heh. (well next to the sound heard in space but there you go!)

I went as a gunner on the Y-Wing and discovered that it has the sound effects of an earth-based machinegun, plus the view goes absolutely CRAZY so you can't really hit anything unless you're flying perfectly straight.
 Vagabond
10-03-2005, 1:22 PM
I used the cockpit view all the time for everything. I got really good at judging where the ground was and wasn't. Believe it or not, Kurgan, but when Wilhuf and I play the Hoth map together, I'm always pilot and he's always my gunner, and piloting the snowspeeder with my stick / throttle gear, we're able to take down walkers faster than you could excreet a bantha - all from first-person view.

It really is awesomely fun. I concur with your assessment that not having a first-person cockpit view screams, "I'm a cheesy console port!!!" It's sad...sad! So, sad...sad! It's a sad, sad, sit-ua-tion...
 Blackrider27
10-03-2005, 2:46 PM
but why the hell did they take it out. They have no reason to now its not as realistic you cant BE the character
 Kurgan
10-03-2005, 2:49 PM
I figure they probably cut some corners to make the game out on time.. though they still have time. Hire somebody to do the missing cockpits...
 Tyler_Durden
10-13-2005, 5:50 PM
Anyone who knows me around here knows that I am an adamant supporter of the cockpit/1st person view. For me, it really immerses me into the game, so much that I almost feel as if I'm really the person on the field. When the option was taken out for Jedi Academy, I was crushed and didn't feel like a Jedi anymore but was playing as some guy/girl who was a Jedi which is a totally different feeling. Luckily, someone figured out how to mod the game and it became a whole other experience.

With this game I read that they weren't including that option for vehicles and such. I was this close to pimp-slapping this game goodbye when someone who raid a chat trascript said that Pandemic WAS in fact including the option for PC gamers only. Apparently, there are lag issues present when playing this mode on the consoles, something which PC users do not have. Plus the fact that similar games released such as Battlefield 2 on the PC are played from a 1st person perspective, vehicles and all. I also have a widescreen montior which takes full advantage of the game and I don't lose peripheral vision.

If, in the end, the views are not included, there are guys on another board who are said to be ready to make one available through mods, so it's looking good for PC users.
 Vagabond
10-14-2005, 9:50 AM
Coolness :cool:
 Blackrider27
10-14-2005, 7:44 PM
so there is cockpit views
 McCusto
10-14-2005, 7:48 PM
No
 Tyler_Durden
10-14-2005, 10:08 PM
Yes. But only for PC users. The devs apparently were able to put it into the final version .
 McCusto
10-14-2005, 10:34 PM
**** really? Where did you hear this!?
 Blackrider27
10-15-2005, 11:12 AM
hes from the place i think
 Tyler_Durden
10-15-2005, 10:05 PM
someone from gametoast had a chat transcript posted, said they had read that the views were inserted. He did go on to say that they had cut the transcript short and that the statement with the cockpit views was cut out but was sure he had read it before the moderators cut the transcript.

Believe me, if I was lead to believe this game didn't have the cockpit views, we wouldn't be having this conversation as I would not be interested in buying the game.
 Kurgan
10-16-2005, 3:00 AM
Ah, that's good to hear. I am Jack's gleeful use of cockpit views!

Btw, Tyler, did you happen to check out OJP for Jedi Academy with its first person saber views? (MP only though, sadly)
 McCusto
10-16-2005, 10:18 AM
I bet cockpit views will be spiffy on space battles!
 Blackrider27
10-16-2005, 3:28 PM
:) i agree. It will be like rouge squadron i can't wait to be the arc 170 and doing the first seen in ep 3. I have another question. For the jedi starfighters i know that the colors are yellow and red. Is there any other colors
 MachineCult
10-16-2005, 4:18 PM
Theres just Anakins Starfighter, Yellow.
I totally agree about the first scene in Ep3 that was so cool it's what i've been most looking forward to about the game.
 Commander Obi-Wan
10-16-2005, 4:44 PM
[QUOTE=MachineCult]Theres just Anakins Starfighter, Yellow.[QUOTE]

He said that earlier

[QUOTE=MachineCult]I totally agree about the first scene in Ep3 that was so cool it's what i've been most looking forward to about the game.[QUOTE]

I agree to.

[QUOTE=Blackrider27]i can't wait to be the arc 170 and doing the first seen in ep 3.[QUOTE]

I can't wait to use ARC-170s either....even though I used them in the demo...it gonna be fun using them longer than three minutes.
 MachineCult
10-16-2005, 5:13 PM
I was telling him that there is just Anakins yellow Starfighter in the game.
 ParanoidAndroid
10-16-2005, 5:30 PM
All right, promising news for those who use cockpit views!

BTW quick question for those who have used the ARC-170 in the demo. can you man all three positions in the ARC-170? or just one or two?
 Blackrider27
10-16-2005, 5:33 PM
WHAT YOU USED IN IN THE BETA HOWW please tell me how do i do it
 Tyler_Durden
10-16-2005, 6:32 PM
Ah, that's good to hear. I am Jack's gleeful use of cockpit views!

Btw, Tyler, did you happen to check out OJP for Jedi Academy with its first person saber views? (MP only though, sadly)

I never really got into the MP aspect of Jedi Academy. However one of the modders for that game came up with a SP first person mode which does the trick pretty well.

I would like to continue mapping for those games but Diesel's tutorials are offline.
 MachineCult
10-16-2005, 7:01 PM
WHAT YOU USED IN IN THE BETA HOWW please tell me how do i do it

He said demo not beta, he might have been talking about the PS2 Demo.

And for Gods sake use some punctuation.
 ParanoidAndroid
10-16-2005, 7:09 PM
I was talking about any demo that allows you to use the ARC-170. I just wanted to know how many positions it has, just one for the pilot or can you man the gunner and tail-gunner positions as well?
 MachineCult
10-16-2005, 7:44 PM
I assume it will have all three positions, there are no other vehicles lacking in positions, one thing people can't complain about.
 McCusto
10-16-2005, 8:01 PM
It has 2. A pilot and a gunner.
 Commander Obi-Wan
10-16-2005, 8:29 PM
cool.....my friend and I are going to have fun with the ARC-170
 Tyler_Durden
10-26-2005, 7:04 PM
From 1up.com:

http://pc.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3144676&did=4)

"PC gamers prefer first-person perspective. Pandemic gets the point and has added this POV to Battlefront II's 30-plus vehicles (a selection that includes Revenge of the Sith's V-wing and clone speeder, along with a few venerable Star Wars classics). "It gives you an enhanced sense of speed in space," Baker boasts--perfect for slipping through a screen of TIE fighters and blasting a proton torpedo into a star destroyer's docking bay. Jedi "heroes" (only a faction's highest-scoring warrior can wield the Force), however, stick to the far-and-away third-person solution. Force-choking foes cold with Vader or Ginsuing 'em as the four-saber-wielding General Grievous wouldn't work as well otherwise, we're guessing."

Well, there it is in black and white. This game's as good as reserved for me now.
 biny
10-27-2005, 1:30 PM
I assume it will have all three positions, there are no other vehicles lacking in positions, one thing people can't complain about.

There would probably only be 2 positions because the three positions in the ARC-170 are:
1.pilot
2.copilot/gunner
3.back/tail gunner

Usually in BF the pilot/driver and gunner are combined, as in the AT-TE and AT-AT.

edit:Sorry for the double. Should of read the posts first.
 MachineCult
10-27-2005, 2:12 PM
There would probably only be 2 positions because the three positions in the ARC-170 are:
1.pilot
2.copilot/gunner
3.back/tail gunner

Usually in BF the pilot/driver and gunner are combined, as in the AT-TE and AT-AT.

edit:Sorry for the double. Should of read the posts first.

But there are three positions in the AT-TE and five in the Gunship.
 biny
10-28-2005, 1:03 PM
But there are three positions in the AT-TE and five in the Gunship.

In reality, the AT-TE has a pilot, co-pilot/gun coordinator, 2 front gunners, 2 rear gunners and the top gunner.
the gunship has a pilot, co-pilot, and the 2 pod gunners. this is correct in the game. But the position where you stand in the BF would hold 30 troopers.
In the AT-AT, the pilot operates guns. In the movies, someone drive and another person shoots.

What I mean is that in many of the Star Wars vehicles (ARC-170, AT-TE) the pilot/driver ONLY drives, nothing else.

I know all this with complete certainty because I own the Ep3 and Ep2 cross section books. To be more specific, they are called "Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith Incredible Cross Sections" and "Star Wars: Attack of the Clones Incredible Cross Sections", both published by Dorling Kindersly. They are definately reliable because and astrophysicist who went to Skywalker Ranch helped write them.
 Rends
10-28-2005, 1:19 PM
There are no cockpit views in the game!
Only 3rd person and HUD only.
 Tyler_Durden
10-28-2005, 10:10 PM
would that be for all versions Rends? Cause it says there are in the link that I posted. This is for the final PC version.

There is also a first person mode as evidenced by this pic:

http://pc.1up.com/do/imageDisplay?id=2385933)
 Blackrider27
10-29-2005, 10:02 AM
tyler i really hope your right....by the way thats darth maul is there a mistake? Like we know that there is first person shooting but we dont know about cockpit views i really hope....wait rends if there isn't didn't you say on gametoast you said you could make them.
 Kurgan
10-29-2005, 10:13 AM
Darth Maul isn't a mistake. He's been one of the confirmed Heroes for a long time...

In the beta:

-you could use First & Third person view for infantry (but not Jedi).

-you could use only Third person view for vehicles (there were no turrets usable in the beta).*

-you could use First & Third person view for ships. HOWEVER, in SWBF1, you had "cockpit views" (an "Inside the cockpit" graphical HUD in first person) which the SWBF2 beta lacked. It was just like a zoomed in view from first person perspective.

So does the final PC game have the same, or what?

* In both games of course you could change positions on a vehicle (like as a gunner). Those "first person" views were typically locked without the HUD grahpics (much like the ships). So you either had third person or first person for a vehicle position (1st person gunners, third person drivers/pilots).
 rut-wa jodar
10-29-2005, 11:37 AM
i can confirm that the retail version "doesn`t" have rendered cockpit views for ships, just HUD`s.
 alex533
10-29-2005, 11:49 AM
Perhaps the cockpits could be 'edited' in.
 Kurgan
10-29-2005, 12:10 PM
Well that sucks...

At least they could have ported over the ones from SWBF1. Granted, that's not ALL the vehicles (minus the Episode III ones) but still...
 Rends
10-29-2005, 12:50 PM
No Cockpit View for any vehicle or fighter in the game. Yes i find it a big step backwards to walk the ATAT in 3rd person only. They also left the gunner position out of the ATAT but itґs still there if you use a ATST.
When flying fighters you can switch to HUD only view.
Yes Kurgan i hoped they used at least the cockpits from SWBF1. sad they left them out. It was nice to drive the ATAT from Cockpit.
 Tyler_Durden
10-29-2005, 3:10 PM
Damn, well from what I'm hearing about this game, it looks as though they didn't include a lot of stuff from last year's game, in otherwords, not good for longevity. Also the missing cockpit views are a very big deal with me, though I wonder why the guy from 1up.com would write that, knowing they aren't putting cockpit views in the game? Maybe, just maybe they are including them in the NTSC version.......... hopefully. Sounds like the game is turning into another console port, but I hope not.

By the way Rends, someone said you might be able to implement the cockpit views into the game if they aren't included. Any truth to this?
 Kurgan
10-29-2005, 4:12 PM
Yeah, a few steps forward, a few steps back... ;P
Page: 1 of 2