Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Thus Far, do you plan to buy SWBF2?

Page: 1 of 2
 Talen
09-27-2005, 7:28 PM
I've played SWBF1, thought not as a maniac, and generally agree that Movie Battles in JKA is superior in many ways.

I was excited about SWBF2, until I read here and the Beta Forums.

I think the most HUGE factor about my deciding not to get the game would be ot the gameplay, but the attitude of LucasArts in general.

I've been playing thier games since X-Wing came on a set of 10 floppies to play on my 486. Over the years, I have ot admit, thier staff has been less than helpful.

I even emailed them once to get help with an issue, and they deleted my email without reading it (Outlook Read Receipts rule). I mean how much more disrespectful can you get?

Ultimately, I feel that LucasArts is reposible for the actions of the Devs. LucasArts can control what pixel location they want an imperial insignia on the model of a tie fighter.

I heave read in many places about the lack of response from Devs. Especially I have noted ForumPlanet where the Beta Forum is hosted, the Devs don't even repond to help with people who have bugs and can't install the game. Thats so retarted, its below words to properly describe thier worthlessness.

In contrast, Look at Empire at War. http://swempireatwar.10.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=308)
Here the Devs take time to do a Q&A with just plain old Fans. (They do this far in advance of a beta, and host thier own forums for the community) They also do plenty of updates to show what they have been doing in regard to making the game. Thus far, I appreciate thier intrest in the community more than that of Pandemic. Worth mentioning also, Petroglyph has gone out of its way to make almost anything about EaW moddable. So Moddable in fact, thier is already a mod in the works, before the game has even been released!
http://swempireatwar.10.forumer.com/viewforum.php?f=12)

A Developer response to the community is important to me. A product of any kind will in the end be purchased by the individual, not its creator. Thus why large corperations spend millions in surveys to find what people want! But here, like I mentioned ealier... Got a bug in the Beta you just paid for? Tough luck, they don't care. Probably have a liscense you agree to that says thier not obligated to help you.

I've even taken note that many perviouse SWBF1 gamers have no intrest in purchasing the new one.

I can wait until its $20 on sale.

So, back to the question at hand... Do you plan to purchase Star Wars Battlefront II new?
 TK-8252
09-27-2005, 7:30 PM
Undecided. I may want it for PSP... but I'd have to get a PSP first. ;)
 ET Warrior
09-27-2005, 7:55 PM
Absolutely not. The thought never even crossed my mind. Battlefront was a terrible game, and I dont think they've changed this one enough to be not terrible.
 boinga1
09-27-2005, 7:58 PM
Thus far, nope. Nothing substantially new, just $50 for an expansion pack. Jedi aren't substantially new and don't really belong, IMO.
 ParanoidAndroid
09-27-2005, 8:09 PM
I'm still pretty undecided but I think I will be getting the game, I liked the last game alot and I like the sound of most of the things that there adding to the second. But I'm not completely sold yet, I'll probably see what the reviews and my friends say about it before I decide to buy it.
 McCusto
09-27-2005, 8:51 PM
Yes I am, and I don't care what crap ET and TK are saying, because they are on my ignore list.
 TK-8252
09-27-2005, 9:31 PM
Yes I am, and I don't care what crap ET and TK are saying, because they are on my ignore list.

ET saying crap? Apparently hell has just frozen over.
 ET Warrior
09-27-2005, 9:54 PM
For certain. I never say anything but pure unbridled goodness.
 Micahc
09-27-2005, 10:25 PM
I am; but when have ET and TK said crap? I thought all they're posts where well thought out.
 Whoopknacker
09-27-2005, 10:27 PM
I never got bit harder on a game than SWBF. I got up at midnight to get the DVDs and game. I took a day off of work to play with it. First disappointment, NO VOIP, I was ticked, man they jipped us. Find out like a week later they pulled the plug on it at the last minute. Then I saw the first person graphics and thought "Man Im glad I ate breakfast three hours ago cause Id be throwing it up right now" Graphics were awful, then the netcode was an absolute pile of crap that never really got solved. Granted there were some fun moments but they never even fixed the game. NO WAY I WONT PAY. Maybe if I find it in my kids cereal box Ill give it a whirl. In the words of The WHO "We dont get fooled again"
 ET Warrior
09-27-2005, 10:42 PM
I am; but when have ET and TK said crap? I thought all they're posts where well thought out.Our posts are crappy because we don't love Battlefront apparently. Least, that's the impression I get. Who knows.
 Commander Obi-Wan
09-27-2005, 10:44 PM
I am.....I have already preordered it.....
 ScoutTrooper95
09-27-2005, 11:31 PM
Im getting it indefinetely. Regardless of the negatives, it's still fun. (or at least the demo is, anyway)
 Redtech
09-28-2005, 3:59 AM
As a point, Empire @ War is created by Petroglyph, the team made of former Westwood Studios employees. Westwood made the Command And Conquer series which are well known for being mini-masterpieces in their own right, and they have great support for the CnC community.

Heck, they randomly just visit forums, post quips etc when they're bored, so people can have a word with them. How's that for community support? (I disregard Generals as that's an EA Game BTW, and EA and Lucasarts have similar attitudes IMHO).
 zerted
09-28-2005, 9:05 PM
...I even emailed them once to get help with an issue, and they deleted my email without reading it (Outlook Read Receipts rule). I mean how much more disrespectful can you get?...
Read Receipts are not hard to block and some things block them by default.

If I don't buy the game new (depends on how much free time I have), then I'll get it when its cheaper ($10-$19) on eBay.
 RaV™
09-28-2005, 9:13 PM
I'm going to buy it when it comes out, it may not have a plot, but it's fun to shoot an ewok in the face!
 Commander Obi-Wan
09-28-2005, 11:03 PM
I buying because I liked the first one....me friend is also buying it too.
 Redtech
09-29-2005, 5:23 AM
For all the "nay-sayers" out there. Is there any more evidence why LA are going to be making a killing out of BF2?

Still, I bet in the UK it'll be seriously over-priced.
 MachineCult
09-29-2005, 5:58 PM
It's only Ј30, i preordered it though...
Why are people who hate battlefront on a battlefront II message board?
 TK-8252
09-29-2005, 6:29 PM

Well, why are there democrats in a republican-controlled senate?
 zerted
09-29-2005, 6:39 PM
Well, why are there democrats in a republican-controlled senate?

I do not think that is a good example. How about:
Why do people who hate reality TV shows, watch reality TV shows?

A possbile answer to the original question: Because liking SWBF2 is not dependent on liking SWBF1.
 Redtech
09-30-2005, 4:01 AM
It's only Ј30, i preordered it though...
Through Game stores? My ol' "Comrade in arms" has done that. Look forward to tag-team Battlefronting. Next best thing next to Halo 2 co-op.

Well, I believe your question was answered, although with BF1's gaming record, I dunno how people could expect more from BF2. I don't recall BF1 being perfect either, so an imperfect sequel to an imperfect prequel.

Well, at least I get to massacre Jedi. "All hail the CIS!" etc.
 MachineCult
09-30-2005, 8:11 AM
Like all British people, I don't care at all about politics especially American politics.
OK zerted why are people who hate the whole battlefront franchise on a battlefront II messageboard?
 ET Warrior
09-30-2005, 12:11 PM
Because it's fun rifling your feathers? Maybe becuse I'm a moderator of these boards? who knows....
 HordaK
09-30-2005, 1:10 PM
I will preorder it tomorrow, Im NOT such a Star Wars crack that i want all the right colors for any Unit, the only 2 thinks i dislike from SWBF1 were the AI and the boring "Capture the Commandpost" Gameplay...

The AI has been improved, i really hope improved not just make em moving a bit more accurate, and there are more Gamemodes now, so my problems with SWBF were fixed and i can order it without any fear
 zerted
09-30-2005, 10:21 PM
Like all British people, I don't care at all about politics especially American politics.
OK zerted why are people who hate the whole battlefront franchise on a battlefront II messageboard?
They have nothing to do in real life and enjoy harassing others. It makes them feel important, stronger, and/or better than the other person. They think their ideas are more important then someone else's, which is not true. Or they hate Star Wars and want the game to get bad ratings.

I know some Americans who don't care too.
 TK-8252
09-30-2005, 10:22 PM
They have nothing to do in real life and enjoy harassing others. It makes them feel important, stronger, and/or better than the other person.

Speak for yourself.
 zerted
09-30-2005, 10:35 PM
I don't think I am harassing others, I'm trying to answer MachineCult's question. I like helping others. Makes me feel needed, but not more important or better.
 TK-8252
09-30-2005, 10:36 PM
I don't think I am harassing others, I'm trying to answer MachineCult's question. I like helping others. Makes me feel needed, but not more important or better.

Well you're not helping.
 ET Warrior
10-01-2005, 2:55 AM
They have nothing to do in real life .I take moderate offense to that, as that is borderline flaming generalized to an entire group of people whom you know nothing about.

Do you KNOW what I did today/ tonight? I don't believe you do, and I won't go into any details since it's not a competition here, but suffice to say I have plenty to do. I am, however, NOT busy 24 hours a day, and DO enjoy posting on forums. I enjoy expressing my opinion, even if it isn't to go all fanboy and drool over then next Star Wars title, despite glaring flaws.
 Alegis
10-01-2005, 3:18 AM
I was fairly dissapointed in SWBF, though was fun for a while. I'll just wait a bit now and see how it turns out. Or how busy I am at that moment with other games.

People like to discuss things here; or still interested on how SWBFII develops. They're not here to whine or flame SWBFII lovers.
 Pho3nix
10-01-2005, 8:36 AM
Yes. I feel that I'll be a good game.
 zerted
10-01-2005, 8:53 AM
I wasn't trying to describe anyone on the forums. I think I was thinking of someone who really hates every thing Star Wars, but spends all their time complaining about it.

I try not to judge other people, or make general statements about them, but it seems I did. I can't remember what I was thinking when I posted the post, so I can't defend my reasoning. Sorry.
 italegion
10-01-2005, 3:32 PM
the PC version selling will be a really fiasco this time - it was an improductive choise to release to the public this beta that shows how should the game look like.
 Redtech
10-03-2005, 7:26 AM
Well, they needed the input. An alpha is good for bugtesting and game balance, but sometimes the testers get too used to glaring flaws and begin compensating for them.

To be fair, they should just hire more testers, but I think it's a sign of a good developer to have a public beta to iron out things...when it works right.
 Rebel_Trooper
10-03-2005, 9:52 AM

Because weather they hate the game or not, they can discuss it at thier own will. Perhaps they are trying to warn people off buying a bad game?

As for the original question, I will be buying Battlefront II. Because with luck, someone will mod it into a good game, and some elements may prove fun. You never know.
 Commander Obi-Wan
10-03-2005, 11:16 AM
From what I saw from the beta I would buy Star Wars Battlefront 2....even if I haven't preordered it, which I have.
 MachineCult
10-03-2005, 6:12 PM
Not everyone thinks it's a bad game, alot of people think it's going to be good actually, and those people aren't going to change their minds just because of a few harsh words from some stranger on a forum.
I hate Driver 3 but i'm not going to go on some Driver forum filled with hardcore fans and constantly tell people how terrible it is,
It's a completely pointless thing to do and it wouldn't achieve anything.
 boinga1
10-03-2005, 9:16 PM
I'm not buying, unless something big happens. I've played the beta, and it seems to be the same SWBF gameply, with arcade-like "officers" added. Heroes don't seem to overpowered, actually, but none of the officer units (which, given their power, are fairly common) feel like Star Wars. Especially the Imperial and CIS - they don't even carry a regular blaster!
Couldn't get into space combat, it's nigh impossible with the mouse + keys, and it's impossible to tail a guy with the stupid lag and 3rd person view. The sprint ability, also, was fairly fake-looking and needs a better animation (see BF2). The HUD is also unqieldy - I like the SWBF HUD myself, but that's nitpicking. Ultimately, there is far too much emphasis on explosives. Why? Because they are the only weapons that do decent damage. Standard blaster rifle still takes too many shots too kill. Eveything is grenades, rockets, mortars, and the blaster is overall pretty useless. IMHO.
 Cosmos Jack
10-04-2005, 6:35 AM
I looked forward to Battlefront myself I got it and liked it even with the bugs. I thought they would fix them like they said they would. I now got Battlefield 2. I couldn't play Battlefront if I tried. With all that's wrong with Battlefield 2 it's still 100 times better then Battlefront or what I have played of Battlefront 2.

After playing the demo for Battlefront 2 All I can say is a the graphics are a bit better. A Star Wars mod for Battlefield 2 would blow Battlefront 2 out of the water even if all you did was replace the character models.

If you going to make a rip off of a good game make a good rip off don't make it half @ss.
 clonearcman
10-04-2005, 11:05 PM
I'll put it simple. I...AM....A.....STAR.....WARS.....FAN.
I....AM....DEFINITLY.....GOING......TO.....BUY.... .BATTLEFRONT.....2
 ET Warrior
10-05-2005, 8:36 AM
Being a star wars fan has nothing to do with Buying battlefront 2. I dressed as a Jedi for the Episode 3 premiere and I'm not even THINKING of touching it when it comes out.
 Rends
10-05-2005, 8:40 AM
preordered it a long time ago far far away...
 Redtech
10-05-2005, 9:55 AM
Personally, I'd dress as a Republic commando. If it has a working knuckle plate. "Winnar!" Saying that, Seen the Master Chief helmet worth several thousand dollars? Damn.
 yellowblood
10-05-2005, 10:26 AM
I'll put it simple. I...AM....A.....STAR.....WARS.....FAN.
I....AM....DEFINITLY.....GOING......TO.....BUY.... .BATTLEFRONT.....2...
 italegion
10-05-2005, 10:58 AM
A Star Wars mod for Battlefield 2 would blow Battlefront 2 out of the water even if all you did was replace the character models.
i agree!
but the mod should be really well done: i applied the mod Forgotten Hope to BF1942 and was spectacular. Forgotten Hope 2 (for BF2) appears even greater (here (http://forgottenhope.bf1942files.com/main.php?flash=no&lang=english&module=) they have released some screenshots)

Galactic Conquest for BF1942 wasnt so great.

where are serious starwars fan modders?
teach to Pandemic how a pc-game should be done making a fantastic sw total conversion for BF2 ..
http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/7208/aviator4yb.jpg)
 clonearcman
10-06-2005, 7:02 PM
Being a star wars fan has nothing to do with Buying battlefront 2. I dressed as a Jedi for the Episode 3 premiere and I'm not even THINKING of touching it when it comes out.
That not true because i wouldn't buy starwars stuff if i wasn't a starwars fan. Is that what you mean?
 TK-8252
10-06-2005, 7:04 PM
That not true because i wouldn't buy starwars stuff if i wasn't a starwars fan. Is that what you mean?

Just because YOU wouldn't doesn't mean everyone wouldn't.

I know some people who aren't Star Wars fans and bought SWBF.
 clonearcman
10-06-2005, 7:10 PM
Why did they buy it?
 TK-8252
10-06-2005, 7:12 PM
Why did they buy it?

...I didn't ask.
Page: 1 of 2