Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Oh Screw This!

Page: 2 of 2
 zerted
10-02-2005, 1:38 AM
To what bugs are you refering to TK-8252?
 TK-8252
10-02-2005, 1:42 AM
To what bugs are you refering to TK-8252?

SWBF2
 zerted
10-02-2005, 1:53 AM
Ok, fine. Don't give me a list. Your statement "BUGGY AS HELL" doesn't mean much if you can't provide some examples. You are right about the graphics though, they are below par.

Anyone like the dying animations? You just disapear :blast5:.
 TK-8252
10-02-2005, 1:57 AM
Ok, fine. Don't give me a list. Your statement "BUGGY AS HELL" doesn't mean much if you can't provide some examples.

I did provide an example. Restarting after minutes of play.

There's also instances of lock-ups where I couldn't use the keyboard or mouse, yet everything around me was going on as usual.

But I'm not going to make a list. Too long, and too tiring for me to bother with.
 zerted
10-02-2005, 2:25 AM
Ok, I was just wondering. Mine crashes to the desktop sometimes (less often than SWBF1 does) but thats the only problem I've seen so far...
 TK-8252
10-02-2005, 2:26 AM
Mine crashes to the desktop sometimes

Yup. Mine too.
 Commander Obi-Wan
10-02-2005, 3:18 AM
Mine hasn't yet....
 MachineCult
10-02-2005, 6:38 AM
Mine just won't run, i double click on the icon and nothing happens, is it my computer?
 zerted
10-02-2005, 7:11 AM
Most likely it is your computer. Open the 'Windows Task Manager' before you attempt to play the game. Go to the 'Processes' tab and see if something like BattlefrontIIEngBeta.exe shows up when you try to play. If it doesn't, then the game didn't even attempt to start.
 MachineCult
10-02-2005, 7:31 AM
It runs for a second and then stops. I hate my computer, any ideas on what i could do?
 Kurgan
10-02-2005, 1:37 PM
Okay, my curiosity finally got the better of me and I tried out the beta last night. Played a few space maps, tried to play Utapau and it crashed to the desktop upon connect (twice) so I gave up. Here were my random impressions (scribbled these down last night so ignore any typos or bad grammar):

337 players, wow more than SWBF1!

There's a loading progress bar, yes! Tool tips between maps! One Flag CTF on the space maps!

Seperate control setups for turrets and Jedi!

HUD sucks. Chat sucks.. somehow hard to type, font too small, appears at top of screen where it cant be seen well (especially on space maps).

They made the weapons HUD larger and put it at the bottom of the screen.. okay that's good, but they nixed the mini map radar and put the chat text UP TOP (so you have to look away from what you're doing to see it, and it's too small anyway. Very annoying. Take a page from Jedi Academy here I say. Everything's right where you need it, easy to see, you don't have to be scanning your eyes all over the entire screen to keep track of stuff.

Rolling is now a seperate function. Good idea I guess, if you ever want to just leap to the side or roll forwards (no back roll apparently). Can't fire while jumping in any case.

Jedi have a MANUAL BLOCK (I haven't been a Jedi yet, but there's a block button). So apparently you're not blocking constantly like the Heroes in SWBF1. Force power is a button. There's a cycle force power thing, so you can have more than one power per character. There's also force jump (independent of regular jump?).

Fighter control still sucks. You continuously move forward until you hold "back."
Dog fighting is next to impossible. The people who die are the ones who fly straight for a long period of time. Haven't mastered the art of "locking on" yet.

No more cockpit view for starfighters? :( Maybe I just forgot to bind the key... I hope that's all it was.

Everything is still very arcadey, but...

Siege Destroyer is far superior in terms of fighter control (even though doing those little rolls looks cool, not sure how much it really helps avoid enemies). Targets are so tiny, move so fast and are usually so far away, that flying has a high learning curve. You've got two types of ships... slow, sluggish and big, and tiny and fast. I guess this was to encourage convoy type tactics, but I don't see anyone coordinating them yet. Once people learn how to fly... but seriously the fighters just don't have a good feel to them. SWBF1 they were just for hovering and firing at the ground, then weaving off and doing it again. Dumping them into space just exposes their flaws in design, unfortunately. I'm sure you could get used to them eventually, but for now I just wish they'd gone with a better system, like JA's.

Lots of lag. Everyone's "connection interrupted" icons were flashing like crazy so they would just turn them off.

Everyone uses Friendly Fire, which of course sucks. It's so pointless a feature in online play with humans.

No mini map on space maps! To see the map you have to click the button to display the large map which obscures your view of things.

Still no way to type once the map ends to say "gg" or whatever. No chatting again until the next map begins.

Graphics look a little nicer (rather plastic and cartoony feeling though). Space maps are nice, lots of room to fly, but the poor fighter control reduces their fun. It's mostly chaos now, have little idea what's going on, no teamwork.

You can take off and fly around inside your hangar, but you can't bail out once you've left the ground and you can't fire until you're out of the hangar. Interesting. I guess it's stop somebody from flying in, then just hovering inside blowing everyone up at their spawn points. Glad they caught that one!

Crashes when I try to play a ground battle map on connect...

No first person view for turrets?

I felt like I was playing SWBF1 again but with more chaos. The game felt a bit choppier and slower, but that could be because of Multiplayer lag (I didn't even check to see if there was an FPS cap on MP or not, anybody check that) and having accidentally cranked the settings up to 1280x1024 (I normally run SWBF1 at full settings on 1024x768).

Since it's a beta, I should hope most of the game stopping bugs would be corrected upon release (this is where you testers come in, pound that sucker hard!). A lot of 'sploits I tried had thankfully been fixed!

I wasn't able to bomb the inside of hangars, or eject into space for example. I could TK with impunity but that's because nobody knows how to vote and team damage is always on because hosts think it's "more realistic." I got told to "stop TKing" but that was it. ;)

I really wonder about the chat though. I normally type just fine, but in SWBF1 and 2 I type like a little kid. The letters are so messed up sometimes it looks like I'm dyslexic or have fat fingers or something. Maybe it's a combination of the lag/framerate and the fact that I can't see what I'm typing? :P
 Rends
10-02-2005, 2:26 PM
Kurgan,
Space fighter controls are nice if you use a joystick!
About turrets if you zoom in you have a firstperson view if i remember right.

TK-8252,
if you donґt come up with a buglist your post arnґt more than flaming or whining (take what you want).

I would like to have rolling L/R on double press A nd D key like it works with fighters.
 swphreak
10-02-2005, 2:37 PM
After playing the beta for 5 minutes, I can already tell you I think it sucks. Only difference I see between the two is new maps and you have to earn characters. In fact, I think SWBFI is better.
 TK-8252
10-02-2005, 3:08 PM
TK-8252,
if you donґt come up with a buglist your post arnґt more than flaming or whining (take what you want).

Who am I flaming? LucasArts? Pandemic? And whining? I think you mean critisizing, sir.

And I did list a few bugs, and the rest have been posted by Kurgan and others.
 Rebel_Trooper
10-02-2005, 3:47 PM
Only difference I see between the two is new maps and you have to earn characters.

I think they had to do that to stop everyone being the overpowered MagnaGuard and Commander!

I actually think SWBF2 is better, but each to thier own.

TK was right though, accuracy and consistency really has fallen like an Atlas 'Mech with 1000 buses attached that is is the middle of the sky.

Still I think it's better, but only just.
 Kurgan
10-02-2005, 6:31 PM
Okay, after playing for a bit (on my own server so I'm not totally lagging out) I'm going to say that the infantry combat seems improved over SWBF1. It's not up to JA standards, but it's a lot more fun... what with getting heroes and earning other classes and all that. Granted, it's way off in terms of 'realism' and they've pumped up Infantry at the expense of vehicles (they're a lot slower and easier to destroy now).

Many of the flaws present in SWBF1 are still here. It still has a consoley/arcadey feel which will turn some people off. Likewise the communication's model is horrible (this game seems made for voice communication with a group of friends on your team). The AI seems vastly improved, and giving orders to bots actually works (you can ask them for health for example). A lot of voice samples are still missing (silent commands) and they may or may not be added for the final game, I don't know. There's a lot of place holders... several classes have an exotic weapon but the model is just of a standard pistol or rifle. Given how SWBF1 had placeholders (like the Darktrooper's "cannon") I'm not too hopeful that they'll give them new weapon models.

You still can't type once the battle has been won, and you have to wait for the next map to load before you can quit. The radar thing is a major issue.

A lot of the flaws aren't bugs necessarily, they're just poor design decisions or glaring omissions (when compared to what kinds of things we've come to expect in other PC FPS games).

With regards to the bot difficulty though it looks like they just removed "Easy" and changed Hard's name to "Elite" (and you'll remember they improved Hard in the last patch for SWBF1). There were still a few bots who stood facing walls the entire match and bots that had difficulty tracking their targets (firing even though there was a closed door or wall between them).

Grenades bounce all over the place (more than usual?) and have a high probability of hitting your own teammates (who don't run away from your grenades.. so all the more reason to turn off Friendly Fire!).

Space combat is the real disappointment though, sadly. It just doesn't seem well planned out. :P

As for using a joystick, oh well. I thought about buying a flight stick years ago for XWA but never got around to it. A good one tends to be somewhat expensive for what little I'd use it. Would it be good to have it on standby for when I hop into a vehicle? Perhaps...
 Arc-453
10-02-2005, 6:55 PM
WTF R U SMOKING!?!?!? swbf series rocks now if u don't like it go post on a less popular website so the creator can delete it and SHOVE IT UP UR -- hem hem, ok we know u hate swbf and swbf2 but no need 2 publicize that fact. this discussion is for people who like star wars not 4 some fat @ss lazy b*tches who are too lazy to f*ckin get their ass off the swbf case and decide to go spam the goddamned forums so *snip*

Such fowl language. For shame ~ET
 TK-8252
10-02-2005, 6:59 PM
What a wonderful way to represent the pro-SWBF opinion.

I applaud you, sir.
 Mike Windu
10-02-2005, 7:09 PM
Blahahahahahahahhahahaha.

Keep it up buddy, I'm sure you'll last long in the forums at this rate.
 Kurgan
10-02-2005, 7:32 PM
WTF R U SMOKING!?!?!? swbf series rocks now if u don't like it go post on a less popular website so the creator can delete it and SHOVE IT UP UR -- hem hem, ok we know u hate swbf and swbf2 but no need 2 publicize that fact. this discussion is for people who like star wars not 4 some fat @ss lazy b*tches who are too lazy to f*ckin get their ass off the swbf case and decide to go spam the goddamned forums so go shove ur d|ck in ur boyfriend's lesbian mom

If you can't take opposing viewpoints or criticism of something you like, then perhaps you don't belong on these forums...

This is your first and last warning. Refrain from such abusive flames in the future or you'll be banned.
 zerted
10-02-2005, 8:18 PM
I agree, I hate the text. Its too small ( my resolution is 1600 by 1200) and the map's lighter backgrounds make it almost impossible to read. When you are typing, if shows up under/on top of other messages and you can't see read anything. The only thing I do like is that the different type of messages are colored.

About the units, I can't say much because I've only been playing as a sniper. (Got to pratice extra hard because it has no crosshair) One thing I can say about the units is the Jedi. I hate it when I don't notice 'the press F2 to not be a Jedi' and the next thing I know, I'm a Jedi. The default should be you <b>don't</b> respond as a Jedi unless you press F1, not the other way around.

Another thing I don't like at the moment, but will have to get used to, is the view while waiting to respawn. Currently in SWBF2 you watch through the eyes of a fellow teammate. I find this confusing. I sometimes I think I have just respawned and attempt to play, even though its just the view from another player. A few times, I have respawned under 1 second and have though I was looking through someone else's unit. Along comes an enemy and destroys the unit. Thinking to myself: "That person sucks. He just stood there and died, didn't even put up a fight (maybe he was typing?)" Only to figure out a second later: "Oh crap, that was me!"

I have found two 'map glitches' but luckly they cannot be exploited. (at least I keep dying when I try)
 Jan Gaarni
10-03-2005, 5:26 AM
I am going to give you one more warning, Arc-453.

I've been reviewing your posting habits, and lately you've been bumping year old dead threads (spam).

Don't.

Consider yourself lucky I'm in a good mood (and can't remember the Mod page addy :D ), so I'm going to let you off the hook this time in hopes you'll take this in and make sure you won't do it in the future.
 Kurgan
10-06-2005, 10:13 AM
Also, this game BADLY needs an MP console. With the bad typing and being unable to see what you're writing, it's pathetic doing admin commands. Half the time you'll either forget a / or the game will drop out a / and you'll end up broadcasting your admin command to the world. Pretty lame... and completely unnecessary if they'd just give you a console instead of forcing you to use the chat for it!

Heck, even JK1 had a seperate command console, back in 1997! Get with the times, Pandemic!

Also I see you can't lie "prone" anymore. Though of course they may have just left that out of the beta for all we know... I know many people will miss that feature!

Something else I noticed.. if you kick somebody (through the kick console) but type the command twice, they get kicked, and then the next time they join, they're kicked again, automatically! It apparently records how many times you hit the button, so don't do it a dozen times unless you want them to stay kicked for awhile! :P
 ^Invader
10-06-2005, 12:22 PM
Well i downloaded the beta haven't played it yet, was hoping to put on the 501st helmet since im a member of the actual organzation :) Will I buy BF2 well i bought SWG which is buggy since day one, also again being a member of the 501st , and it being star wars.

So yeah will I buy it sure, thing is everyone has to remember it's beta it's not going to be perfect the second it comes out. Look at countless games that has had patches, yeah i know LEC should know better by now but heck Flanneled one knows what he is doing lol
Page: 2 of 2