Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Multiplayer in EaW

Page: 1 of 1
 cardif
09-03-2005, 3:34 PM
good evening,

the last thread about multiplayer is several months old. i apologise if there is a newer one - couldnt find it. ;)

i ve played rebellion and Force Commander on the internet... tho those games had some disappointing parts i loved to play 'em from time to time.

i ve read about two game-modes in eaw. simple "conquest" and some skirmisch, that allows eight players to play in one game.
i havent found more infos in the previews... prolly my english didnt allow me to understand all of it ;)

how long does a multiplayergame last *remembers rebellion*? how does that skirmish-mode work - more like AoE, Armada, etc? are there any other gamemodes planned?

any info would be appreciated!
 Darth Andrew
09-03-2005, 3:57 PM
As far as I know, very little information besides what you mentioned is known. :(
 FroZticles
09-03-2005, 11:00 PM
No idea might get some more specific info closer to the end of the year.
 starmark2k
09-04-2005, 6:12 AM
I know multiplayer conquest is suppose to be played between 2 players, You can select how many planets there are and they are suppose to be split eqully betwee the two. Then you move your fleets around the Galactic map. when a battle begins i think the map will be paused and the space battle will begin in which both players control their fleets. If the attacker is successful the ground battle should begin.

The skirmish mode will proberly only be for either space or ground as with 8 players it will be hard to do both fairly.
 cardif
09-05-2005, 5:42 PM
thanks for the info.. i was hoping they'd have some more info about the multiplayer part :(

jediknight, xwa/xvt, rebellion and FoCom... played all of those on the internet, which were pretty funny with other crazy friends :D
 Kurgan
09-08-2005, 10:38 PM
I wonder how they'll choose to balance the Empire with the Rebellion, and if they'll go for EU friendly stats or if they'll try to be more true to the movies? The Star Wars games have long been criticize for their "unrealism" in regards to stats (like single star fighters being able to take down capital ships, 5 km super star destroyers instead of 17 km). In the videos the TIE's get hit by turbolasers and survive... I realize in games there is a certain amount of "rules bending" that has to take place to make it fun and a challenge, but it'll be interesting to see what route they go.

I know they're taking massive liberties with the battle of Hoth for example, by putting the shield generator OUTSIDE the theater shield (which looks like the Gungan shield from TPM). Silly, but oh well. I thought in the movie the reason they had to use ground troops was because the shield was up, or else they could have bombarded the rebels until they gave up, from orbit. Bomb the generator, strafe their hangars and then capture Luke and the leaders easily. Instead they had to "land" outside the shield, and march their walkers through the shield (slow moving walkers and mechanicals can push through shields that ordinary humans or fast moving ships can't), the go in and blow up the generator (maximum firepower!) and take the shield down... ah well. Maybe movie realism will take more of a backseat this time around.

The space battles I imagine would be rather tricky to control online. I wonder how players will manage to take on the confusion of the 3-D battle? Then again, if there is a lot of "auto aiming" (so to speak) and automatic flying navigation that might not be much of a problem. Will ships dodge asteroids automatically? Are flight paths pre-determined? Can we micromanage dog fights?

So many questions. I hope the demo gives us a taste of both ship and ground action, but I'm especially curious about the flying.
 Jan Gaarni
09-09-2005, 5:40 AM
I wonder how they'll choose to balance the Empire with the Rebellion, and if they'll go for EU friendly stats or if they'll try to be more true to the movies? The Star Wars games have long been criticize for their "unrealism" in regards to stats (like single star fighters being able to take down capital ships, 5 km super star destroyers instead of 17 km). In the videos the TIE's get hit by turbolasers and survive... I realize in games there is a certain amount of "rules bending" that has to take place to make it fun and a challenge, but it'll be interesting to see what route they go.
Games will always have to bend the rules in order to make it fun, or to draw out the battles, or make it easier, like in the shield generator issue, be placed outside the shields. :D
I have noted that they seem to not have included the "shield generator dome" issue with the Star Destroyers, which warms my heart. :)

I know they're taking massive liberties with the battle of Hoth for example, by putting the shield generator OUTSIDE the theater shield (which looks like the Gungan shield from TPM). Silly, but oh well. I thought in the movie the reason they had to use ground troops was because the shield was up, or else they could have bombarded the rebels until they gave up, from orbit. Bomb the generator, strafe their hangars and then capture Luke and the leaders easily. Instead they had to "land" outside the shield, and march their walkers through the shield (slow moving walkers and mechanicals can push through shields that ordinary humans or fast moving ships can't), the go in and blow up the generator (maximum firepower!) and take the shield down... ah well. Maybe movie realism will take more of a backseat this time around.
Exactly what I was thinking too.
Page: 1 of 1