Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Developer for KOTOR 3

Page: 2 of 3
 (Strider)
08-01-2005, 11:39 PM
^^^^

I agree with the parth that LA controls thier developers.

Anyways, I would like either BioWare or Ubisoft to do the game.
 Prime
08-02-2005, 9:20 AM
I think Bioware and Obsidian are the only real options...
 Bastila
08-02-2005, 1:56 PM
I read on the swamp that BioWare are using one of there engines for an untitled project. (wounder what that could be)
 Hannibal
08-02-2005, 8:49 PM
of course, i've stated it before and i'll state it again: why can't LucasArts develop Kotor 3 internally??

One word for you, Obi-wan.
 RevanA4
08-02-2005, 9:36 PM
@Hannibal why not just say death to microsoft they are worse than ea

and I have only one company I don't want making it MICROSOFT other than that bioware or OE are the best bet
 lukeiamyourdad
08-02-2005, 10:54 PM
I don't think Microsoft would like to do it.

They publish more then they make themselves and their games are pretty good, unlike EA's whose policy is "churn out as much crap as you possibly can."

By the way, EA's games are way worse then Microsoft's. I mean, where was EA's Halo (made by Bungie, published by Microsoft)? Or AoE3? Or Forza Motorsport?
 Lorden Darkblade
08-02-2005, 10:57 PM
I think Bioware should do it.
I liked KotOR1 a bit more then KotOR2.
 General Kenobi
08-02-2005, 11:23 PM
I agree, :) Microsoft and Lucasarts now that would be a pair...lol

Neither would want to do what the other wanted I'd bet. "I"m the boss"...."No I'm the boss" ;)
 stingerhs
08-02-2005, 11:49 PM
One word for you, Obi-wan.don't forget that LucasArts also developed Republic Commando internally as well. ;)
 IceReaper
08-03-2005, 2:06 AM
I would like a Engine like the Doom3 Engine... Look at those shadows, they would be perfect for lightsaber duels.
And everything what the quake3 engine can do, can doom3 do too.
I spend a lot of time in modifying the doom3 engine, and i must say, its one of the best engines i know, and the effects would be great.
Even a RPG system should be possible to implent, when you see Lineage2 got a Unreal engine, it means it should realy be possible, and why not? ^^

edit: and about the developers... Models can be used in every game. all they need is to write the main code for another engine, but that cant be so hard, when i see what they already did!
 (Strider)
08-03-2005, 3:29 AM
^^^^

That would be cool, but I think that LA likes to work with companies that they have worked with in the past.
 lukeiamyourdad
08-03-2005, 9:02 PM
I dunno, the Doom3 engine seems to have "plastic" textures. It looks kinda weird and unless we really want a survival horror KotOR3, amazing lighting effects aren't that important.
 Dashus
08-05-2005, 7:18 PM
Bioware, I believe, stated that they would never again do a Star Wars product. I don't have an exact quote or reference but I have seen this referenced on multiple boards. The most likely developer is Obsidian, though after NWN2.
 General Kenobi
08-05-2005, 7:30 PM
Bioware, I believe, stated that they would never again do a Star Wars product.

I am betting that LucasArts is VERY hard to work with. I've seen interviews with ole' Georgie going on about how "hands on" he is with Star Wars. After probably 20,000 changes they said never again...lol

:ben:
General Kenobi
 IndianaSolo
08-07-2005, 9:31 PM
I'd rather have Obsidian develop KOTOR III, mainly due to the fact they wrote KOTOR II and that story is a bit....wide open, so they probably have the best idea what they were attempting.
 The Grey Ranger
08-08-2005, 8:56 AM
At this point Bioware has pretty much stated that they are only working on their own intellectual property. That leaves us with OE.
 IndianaSolo
08-08-2005, 11:25 AM
At this point Bioware has pretty much stated that they are only working on their own intellectual property. That leaves us with OE.

Or another development house. All that means is it won't be Bioware, not that it will be Obsidian.
 DuleLightSaber
08-08-2005, 11:43 AM
the should deffinetly work together bioware had good thing s that could contribute to the futer of gameing and obsidian had much better graphics and overall gameplay was more life like.... i had a much better time with kotor 2 than i did with kotor 1 but if the 2 game develpors put both things together it would be a overall sure win for game of the year.....
i mean think about it kotor 1 won over 40 game of the year awards and that means they did somthing rihgt but kotor 2 flew off the shelves so they too did somthing right....they would be better off working together....
 lukeiamyourdad
08-08-2005, 12:02 PM
Bioware has a way of doing things.

Obsidian has a different way of doing things.

Bioware + Obsidian = Not good
 eopiesdoor
08-08-2005, 12:46 PM
It doesn't matter who developes it if LA doesn't stop rushing unfinished games out the door. Don't get me wrong, I like LucasArts. They just need to stop being so strict with release dates.

Oh, and hello everyone. i'm new!
 lukeiamyourdad
08-08-2005, 3:03 PM
Hello Welcome to SWK :)
Enjoy your time here!
 Jeff
08-08-2005, 5:21 PM
It doesn't matter who developes it if LA doesn't stop rushing unfinished games out the door. Don't get me wrong, I like LucasArts. They just need to stop being so strict with release dates.
I agree with you. Going back to tsl, if they hadn't been strict with the christmas release, it could have been much better. Hopefully (and it seems they aren't going to with it not being scheduled till '08) they don't make the same mistake again.
Oh, and hello everyone. i'm new!
Welcome to the forums! :)
 TheOssusKeeper
08-08-2005, 6:49 PM
maybe Bioware should do kotor 3, they could incorperate the same new stuff that Obsidion did... and make it more stable... however i am not knocking Obsidion because they were rushed to get the game out...
 General Kenobi
08-08-2005, 6:52 PM
I agree with you. Going back to tsl, if they hadn't been strict with the christmas release, it could have been much better. Hopefully (and it seems they aren't going to with it not being scheduled till '08) they don't make the same mistake again.

I agree if they had taken some time The droid factory, planet and more could have been better in TSL not to mention the horrible "loose" ending. :D

General Kenobi
 IndianaSolo
08-08-2005, 6:54 PM
i don't really know who should do it, but i heard that Microsoft was in the process of buying out Bioware

Where did you hear that?

if thats the case i doubt that Lucasarts will work with them...

Why not? Lucasarts worked with them already, since KOTOR was sold on a Microsoft exclusive console.
 General Kenobi
08-08-2005, 6:59 PM
Why not? Lucasarts worked with them already, since KOTOR was sold on a Microsoft exclusive console.

Well, think of it as this: Does every game/software application for Windows work with them? Not really ;) Other than assuring it runs on a platform etc.

Leave it to Microsoft to buy up the darn planet :rolleyes:

General Kenobi
 TheOssusKeeper
08-08-2005, 7:07 PM
actually i retract the bioware being bought by microsoft statement, i read that in an old post (Feb. 2004)... besides it was just rumor anyway... Bioware down played the rumors... you can do a web search to find all the relavent posts...
 Rok_stoned
08-08-2005, 11:33 PM
I agree, Microsoft and Lucasarts now that would be a pair...lol

I can picture it now...

Take 1
micro:that way
LA: no that way.

take2
project leader: Whos idea was it to DOWN-GRADE kotors engine?
micro: he did it.

take3
Micro: i got the brain.
LA:nuh uh I got it

but anyways can we span beyond OE and bioware i get it every1 likes them id rather hear new ideas than just some posting OE and BIOWARE are my choices my nickname is gene aric. *picks nose* my MY mOM says that... *Picks nose furiously* falls asleep.

wow.
 The Grey Ranger
08-09-2005, 12:21 AM
I'd like to see Obsidian do it, honestly. The storyline they did showed promise, but their developement timeline was too short for what they were trying to do. With a little luck they'd have a longer developement cycle and will have learned to better allocate the time they do have.
 The Source
08-11-2005, 12:40 PM
I think Obsidian should do K3. Considering the position they were in, they made a hell of a game in record time. Was it the game that they wanted to make? No. But it was a great game nonetheless.

Come to think about it BioWare made 80% of the game, so Obsidian had very little to do...
 The Source
08-11-2005, 12:41 PM
I'd like to see Obsidian do it, honestly. The storyline they did showed promise, but their developement timeline was too short for what they were trying to do. With a little luck they'd have a longer developement cycle and will have learned to better allocate the time they do have.

Hahahahaha...
 IndianaSolo
08-11-2005, 2:21 PM
Come to think about it BioWare made 80% of the game, so Obsidian had very little to do...

Do you have something against Obsidian? I'm new here but it seems every thread you post in you make comments like that.
 lukeiamyourdad
08-11-2005, 10:25 PM
More like ignorant comments.

They used the same engine to make a sequel.

It's as intelligent as saying id software made Medal of Honor Allied Assault.
 The Grey Ranger
08-12-2005, 10:13 AM
The source, if you don't like the work Obsidian did, you can always vote with your gaming dollars and spend them somewhere else. I mean if you don't enjoy their games why waste your money on something you don't like? I personally will buy others products they publish (with certain reservations such as good reviews). I'm not trying to be insulting, just curious.
 Prime
08-12-2005, 10:16 AM
Hahahahaha...Why's that funny?
 IndianaSolo
08-12-2005, 5:03 PM
More like ignorant comments.

They used the same engine to make a sequel.

It's as intelligent as saying id software made Medal of Honor Allied Assault.

His post(s) has to be literally one of the dumbest I've seen on any forum.

By that estimation, Troika didn't make Bloodlines, Valve did.

All those Infinity Engine games? Then I suppose using his logic the only one that was actually difficult to make was the first one. The rest of them were basically 80% complete and just needed finishing touches.

Ignorance at its best.
 ChAiNz.2da
08-12-2005, 9:04 PM
Enough of the Flaming already :rolleyes:

Please refer to General Rule #1 here:
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=128142)

Take special note of the "Penalties"

Disagreement is one thing, but geesh... give it a rest...

Back on Topic....
 TheLostWookie
08-22-2005, 5:35 PM
OE needs a break from power hungry LA, they would probably like to create their own original titles after NWN2

Even though they said they were going to focus on their own ip, I'd love to see Bioware work on kotor3, finish what they started with a grand conclusion.

If those two won't do it, then maybe Blizzard could be given the task, after all, Starcraft is being ignored (SCG is hardly anything special), so why not head into Star Wars

lol, going off topic with the blizzard comments, sorry:rolleyes:

anyway, K3 needs a great developer and as little input as possible from LA
 THE MANDALORE
08-24-2005, 8:11 AM
KOTOR 3 should be made by BioWare. BioWare started it and they should finish it (assuming that there will only be 3 games).
 Rok_stoned
08-28-2005, 11:35 PM
finish it? no no no... unlike telvision and movies i find the video games are not subjectable to the trilogy rule. although I think that at they very least if the third one is the end that they should make a spin of sorta game.
 Ztalker
09-13-2005, 1:27 PM
I agree...

The Revan trilogie should be ended porperly by Bioware, and they should make a spin-off, too. I think they will choose for a whole new era. A Knight of the Old republic is a Jedi trained before the rise of the Empire. Maybe playing a Knight during the uprising of the Empire?
 samhain232
09-25-2005, 1:52 AM
bioware should make the new kotor the second was alright too short and the ending was retarded
 Mendagir
09-25-2005, 2:28 PM
Maybe Bioware should make KOTOR III, but they won't. As stated earlier and to be seen in BioWare's own news they don't want to work any longer on licenses stuff. That's why Obsidian has done KOTOR II and is up to make NWN 2. And I hope they will make KOTOR III too. Why, because Obsidian is working together with BioWare. In that relationship BioWare takes the role of an advisor or maybe Quality Assurance. But in the end it doesn't matter if Obsidian will do it or anyone else. LA will ensure that any Software developer getting on KOTOR III is a professional in the business. Experience in making good RPG's is fine, but if you have a given background and a given RPG system, experience is not so essentially. More essentially is that the future developers are Star Wars fans :-)

Concerning the story as far as I know LA - if not George Lucas himself - keeps track of all stories in the Star Wars universe. It doesn't matter if someone is writing a novel, a comic, sourcebooks for the pen and paper RPG or developing a Star Wars game. The story has to be accepted by LA, and nearly all of the stuff besides the films can be classified as canon for the expanded universe. (Kyle Katarn made it into the RPG sourcebooks).

The idea that Microsoft and LucasArts may work together on the development of the game itself sounds some kind of ridiculous to me. Did M$ developed one of their games themselves or did they only bought the companies that originally invented the games release my M$ (well, my most present example is Freelancer, my favourite game besides KOTOR I+II)? So I would M$ classify as a game publisher, not a game developer (and if they are developing games theirselves ... damned ... they should make use of their videogame rights on Shadowrun and make an awesome MMORPG).

Just my thoughts :-)

Greetings,
Mendagir
 GalacticCowboy
09-25-2005, 3:31 PM
Obsidian and Bioware should do it as a joint effort combining the best of both worlds even though both are on the the bioware engine. Bioware came up with a better story but obsidian came up with some cool items and game play animations my only complaint about 2 was some of the trigers in the mech factory were left in and I kept feeling I was missing something.
 FiEND_138
09-25-2005, 3:52 PM
OE.

Chris A. obviously has a direction he'd like the story to go, & personaly I wouldn't mind seeing where it ends up. Or it could be that I enjoyed the story from TSL more than K1's obvious from landing on Taris dream sequence plot twist. Though, thats probably just me...
 Jeff
09-25-2005, 7:26 PM
Obsidian and Bioware should do it as a joint effort combining the best of both worlds even though both are on the the bioware engine. Bioware came up with a better story but obsidian came up with some cool items and game play animations my only complaint about 2 was some of the trigers in the mech factory were left in and I kept feeling I was missing something.That would make for an amazing game, I do admit. I doubt it would happen for money-related reasons, but it would be very cool if it did.
 Vladimir-Vlada
09-26-2005, 8:23 AM
I believe that Bioware and Obsidian, if working together, would make a master piece. Otherwise, I'd say Bioware.
 a_nazgul
09-30-2005, 11:28 PM
Bioware+Obsidia would be great, but unlikely. I think Bioware is a better option
Raven? may be,
What about Sir-Tech, Bethesda?
 a_nazgul
09-30-2005, 11:52 PM
i mean, if just one of them do it, I prefer to bioware
 AnarKy
10-03-2005, 12:04 AM
Obsidian could do a great job if they dont rush the game for chrismas this time. Bioware too but i dont want to see a kotor 3 that would be like jade empire, I hated the combat system.
Page: 2 of 3