Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

A new Jabba for ROTJ Special Edition?

Page: 1 of 1
 Jaden25
07-14-2005, 3:35 PM
I was watching some of my ROTJ specail
edtion and I noticed something different
about Jaba the hutt that he moved
around a lot more in this verison then
he did in the origianl.Let me know if
you guys have noticed this thanks
 TK-8252
07-14-2005, 5:30 PM
I don't think they ever changed Jabba in RotJ. I know they changed him in ANH a couple times though.
 Jeff
07-14-2005, 8:33 PM
Originally posted by TK-8252
I don't think they ever changed Jabba in RotJ. I know they changed him in ANH a couple times though.
Are you sure? I thought they did change him around a little bit...maybe I'm wrong. And I know they changed that really weird and ugly looking Jabba in ANH Special Edition for the DVD edition. He still doesn't look like himself though.
 Kurgan
07-17-2005, 12:14 AM
ROTJ Jabba is unchanged. For the 1997 Special Edition they cut in another quick shot of him saying "do that again" right before "Jedi Rocks" was inserted (to replace the old "Lapti Nek" thing). But it was just a reuse of a shot that was normally elsewhere in the movie.

So no CGI Jabba in ROTJ, nothing new really in the 2004 DVD Edition of ROTJ.

ANH Jabba was added in the 1997 Special Edition. He was CGI and looked silly (nothing like we later see him... okay so maybe he was supposed to be younger and skinnier? But then we had Episode I with him looking big old and fat again, oops). So ANH Jabba in the 2004 DVD Edition now replaces the first crappy CGI one with a newer CGI model that is just a re-colored version of the one used in TPM. It still doesn't quite look like ROTJ Jabba, but much better than before. He moves around exactly the same, though he's a bit more expressive facially and he makes a fist at one point (after Han steps on his tail).

That's about it.
 Boxah
07-21-2005, 6:53 AM
They replaced him for the DVD version?

Man, I need to check that out. I always hated the redone CGI Jabba.
 Kurgan
07-31-2005, 5:15 AM
They replaced him for the DVD version?

Man, I need to check that out. I always hated the redone CGI Jabba.

Agreed. I like Jabba himself and I like the idea of meeting Han (though I agree the dialouge with him is rather redundant to the Greedo scene and as some say it makes Jabba seem like far less of a threat than he is played up to be normally... I mean normally the surprise has been building until ROTJ) in ANH SE 1997 he looks like a sad cartoon frog. The character is more at home in Wind in the Willows than Star Wars. Also having Boba Fett mug for the camera is blatant appeal to Fett fanboys. They could have just had him in the scene and walk past, just another one of the henchmen. But they have him pause and stare into the camera at the audience. *sigh*
 RaV™
09-25-2005, 7:54 PM
Also having Boba Fett mug for the camera is blatant appeal to Fett fanboys. They could have just had him in the scene and walk past, just another one of the henchmen. But they have him pause and stare into the camera at the audience. *sigh*

Kurgan is that such a bad thing that he does that? Or are you talking about him just looking into the camera, when all good actors aren't suppose to?
 Kurgan
09-27-2005, 12:08 AM
Well, that and it seems such a blatant attempt to tease Fett fanboys (like the other insertions of pointless shots of Fett into the classic trilogy). Had it not focused directly on him and for so long it might not have been so objectionable. You can practically feel his cheesy grin under the helmet!

Many object to having Fett in ANH at all, but I'm not one of those folks. Unnecessary yes, but not objectionable in and of itself. Having him just standing next to Jabba in the corner of the frame and keeping it at that would have been a much more subtle and better angle to keep. Lucas seems to forget that people watch these movies over and over at home, so he doesn't need to overdo it.
 Jan Gaarni
09-27-2005, 3:39 AM
To me it looked more like he was scanning the area for potential threats rather than posing for the camera.
 Prime
09-27-2005, 9:43 AM
The original live-action Jabba is still the best by far.
Page: 1 of 1