Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Blooper

Page: 1 of 1
 stefanlinden
04-09-2005, 4:56 AM
I have found a blooper in the SW film 'a new hope'. At some moment (when Luke and the others are in the trashcompactor) you see a few stormtroopers walking. If you watch closely one of the stormtroopers bashes his head into a door frame!:D (talking about door clearance ...)
 Shok_Tinoktin
04-09-2005, 5:20 AM
I went years without ever noticing this, but a few years ago, some one told me about it. I can't believe how easy it is to miss! It is even so loud. Suffice it to say, I've noticed every time since. (and its very funny)
 stefanlinden
04-09-2005, 5:31 AM
I really wonder why they did'nt redo that scene or so. Because it is'nt something to miss.:p
 Shok_Tinoktin
04-09-2005, 5:40 AM
Yeah, I kind of wondered the same thing. I do like how they tied it in with Jang bumping his head in AOTC.
 TK-8252
04-09-2005, 6:15 PM
Technically in the DVD, it's not a blooper but more of a way George has tied the Stormtroopers into Jango, with his bumping his head on the Slave I door. Notice that George put in a nice bump sound in ANH that wasn't there before.
 TK-8252
04-10-2005, 2:23 AM
Strange, I never remember there being a bump sound. If you listen to the AotC commentary, George explains the Jango bump was for the audience to identify him as the man behind the army.
 stefanlinden
04-10-2005, 5:31 AM
I've also heard the bumping sound. But i think it's more quiet on the special edition
 Jan Gaarni
04-10-2005, 4:06 PM
The bumping in ANH was never intentional. Just an extra forgetting to duck. :)

But with the new movies out it's been turned into a subtle connection to Jango. The scene in AotC is very much intentional. :)
 stefanlinden
04-11-2005, 9:48 AM
I have found a Starwars blooper guide on the internet. I don't want to make a advertisement of this, so it's ok to delete it. But I hope not! but here's the url: http://www.egosystem.com/starwars/bloopers.htm).
Maybe we can talk about bloopers or so. Bya!
 Kurgan
04-11-2005, 12:06 PM
As others have stated, the hand bonk IS a blooper. George decided to play off this well known gag by, rather than editing it out, throwing in an "explanation" of why it's there and having Jango bump his head in AOTC as an homage. So it's now "canon."

Way to cover, George! (semi-humorus, but now official)

He added the "bonk" sound in the 2004 DVD Edition. It was never there before.
 Shok_Tinoktin
04-11-2005, 2:03 PM
Do you mean that the sound was changed, or that a sound was put in? Because there is definitely a sound in the 1995 VHS version, at least.
 Jan Gaarni
04-11-2005, 3:45 PM
It's been awhile since I saw those movies on the VHs, but you sure the sound you hear isn't from the mic just before the the commander starts to talk, and just coincides with the exact same moment as the guy bumps his head?
 Shok_Tinoktin
04-11-2005, 6:08 PM
It's possible, but it happens right when he hits his head, and sounds like a person hitting his head to me.
 El Sitherino
04-11-2005, 6:20 PM
The sound has been there, but it's never been as obvious as it is in the DVD.
 stefanlinden
04-12-2005, 1:19 AM
There is a sound, and you can hear it just when he hits his head.
So it must be from him.
http://www.rsmeding.promanex.net/stefan/stormbumper.jpg)
 guybroom
04-14-2005, 2:13 PM
That stormtrooper has to be the most famous extra ever!!!
 Kurgan
04-16-2005, 1:10 AM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
The sound has been there, but it's never been as obvious as it is in the DVD.

Most of the sound in ANH was redubbed during production (something like 90% I forget the exact figure but it's huge). Anthony Daniel's costume and the Stormtroopers were all super noisy, clankety clank like a pile of junk when they moved. It ruined many attempts at saying lines clearly. Plus the Stormtroopers, Threepio, etc anyone with a helmet or mask on would have muffled lines, so they redubbed those (and gave them their mechanical/static radio sounds). Vader's voice was redubbed, lines were redubbed, sound effects added by Foley Artists, etc. Heck even Aunt Beru's lines were redubbed!

Since the head bonk was an unintended gaffe, they wouldn't have a reason to add a sound to it. It's just that it's become so famous, that Lucas decided to "get in on the fun" and add the bonk sound in 2004.

Trust me on this one... I remember rewinding and watching the scene on my 1997 SE VHS tapes and it was silent when his head hits. On the DVD, you suddenly get the little "bonk." ;)

Besides, doesn't it sound sort of like the heavy helmet hitting metal? I doubt the prop door was really metal, so if it was always there, it would have been intentional from the start, and thus not a gaffe!
 Shok_Tinoktin
04-16-2005, 1:19 AM
Originally posted by Kurgan
Besides, doesn't it sound sort of like the heavy helmet hitting metal? I doubt the prop door was really metal, so if it was always there, it would have been intentional from the start, and thus not a gaffe!

Unless it was unintentional when they shot the scene, but they noticed it when adding sound, and decided to just throw a sound in. I'm not 100% sure that there is a sound for him hitting his head, but it is definitely not silent when he hits head. Trust me on this one... I remember when I first saw him hit his head on my 1995 VHS version, and noticed the noise. I also remember talking to a few friends about the noise, and it was all years before the DVD came out. It is possible that its just the mic, like Jan said, but it is not silent.
 stefanlinden
04-16-2005, 3:56 AM
I did not know they redubbed nearly everything! (you really CAN learn of a forum:D ).
 Kurgan
04-17-2005, 3:31 PM
Originally posted by Shok_Tinoktin
Unless it was unintentional when they shot the scene, but they noticed it when adding sound, and decided to just throw a sound in. I'm not 100% sure that there is a sound for him hitting his head, but it is definitely not silent when he hits head. Trust me on this one... I remember when I first saw him hit his head on my 1995 VHS version, and noticed the noise. I also remember talking to a few friends about the noise, and it was all years before the DVD came out. It is possible that its just the mic, like Jan said, but it is not silent.

I'll check out my 1997 edition again when I get a chance, but I am almost 100% that it's not there. Unless you're saying that the 1995 edition HAD IT and it was removed... which would be odd.

Anyway, I don't have any early editions, so if you can find and record it, I'd appreciate it!

My point is, that Stormtrooper had no lines, and he wasn't wearing a mike. The Stormtroopers were all dubbed in (though some of them might have yelled their muffled lines on set for cues, I don't know). I don't even know if any of the actors wore mikes at all, they would have used boom mikes to catch the lines like most movies (on TV the people wear their mikes, because it's cheaper and frees you up to do more movement).

Update:

DVDAnswers Star Wars Changes part 1 (http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=8&c=28&n=1&k=Star+Wars&burl=r%3D0%26g%3Dinfo%26s%3D1%26k%3DStar%2BWars%26x%3D0%26y%3D0) has the audio clips, but without the video it's hard to say. I don't know if he's using the sounds from the SE or the "original" (1980's VHS/LD release). There is a "clicky" sound in the "original" is that what you're talking about with regards to the "microphone" sound? Because the Troopers do have a radio click whenever they start talking. The 2004 Edition adds a little metallic clang to it that occurs over (but doesn't replace) the previous clicky sound. I'll check it out again if/when I get the time this week.
 Jan Gaarni
04-18-2005, 2:31 AM
I'll check the old VHS I got with the Original Trilogy.
 stefanlinden
04-18-2005, 3:41 AM
when the sound is'nt from the stormtrooper, I then wonder where its from:confused:
 TK-8252
04-18-2005, 3:22 PM
The Stormtroopers did yell their lines during filming. I remember seeing in a few "the making of Star Wars" type documentaries them showing dialogues with Stormtroopers.
 Kurgan
04-18-2005, 9:22 PM
Ok. The troopers yelling their lines (I couldn't remember if they actually showed them doing that or not) would fit in with what else I've heard about the redubbing of ANH. I would think if the shot was ruined by a guy smashing his head into the door and yelping in pain or something, they would have just reshot it. Then again it could have happened to so quietly in the background (and the extra too embarrassed to admit he screwed up, perhaps to an already agitated director) that it was missed until fans pointed it out years later.

Or maybe they were just so short on money (the movie DID go over budget) that this was a one take shot, and they just figured it wasn't important enough to mess with...

I see it now as Lucas making a nod to the fans with a fan favorite blooper making it "canon." ;)
 stefanlinden
04-19-2005, 6:05 AM
I think that will be the reason why they did'nt remake the scene. By the way. Did they have money shortages in other movies?
 scout_zero
04-22-2005, 7:46 PM
After he hit his head, I think he had a headache.
:D
I didn't notice it until yesterday after I looked at this forum.
 Kurgan
04-26-2005, 3:18 PM
Originally posted by stefanlinden
I think that will be the reason why they did'nt remake the scene. By the way. Did they have money shortages in other movies?

Not sure. ANH went over budget and the studio thought it would be a flop. They had to cut corners to finish it up in time for release.

As to the other films I'm not so sure, since Star Wars was such a phenomenal success. Sure Lucas talks now about Special Effects Limitations, and it's not as if these films had unlimited budget (he wasn't as rich in the early 1980's as he was after) but I don't think it was the same case as it was with the first film.
 Konar
05-13-2005, 3:21 AM
Originally posted by stefanlinden
I really wonder why they did'nt redo that scene or so. Because it is'nt something to miss.:p

a) Because they want to keep those people that aren't so interested in the plot entertained.

or,

b) Because they want to re-enforce the fact that stormtroopers are stupid and the lightsiders are cool.
 Furball
05-22-2005, 10:29 AM
What scene in AOTC does jango bang his head?
 TK-8252
05-22-2005, 1:01 PM
Originally posted by Furball
What scene in AOTC does jango bang his head?

Walking into the Slave I after fighting Obi-Wan on Kamino.
 Pho3nix
05-23-2005, 8:40 AM
Yeah, that's a great scene :D
 Konar
05-24-2005, 6:40 AM
How do you people notice these spoofs? I couldn't for the life of me...
 Darth Andrew
05-26-2005, 4:14 PM
They have supernatural powers.... I have never noticed any of them either.
Page: 1 of 1