Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Dialog Revision

Page: 1 of 1
 The Regent
03-16-2005, 7:18 PM
I didn't see this in any searches, so hopefully I'm not doing something that's already been covered.

I'm thinking about tweaking the dialog files in K1 or K2 to allow for a more deceitful way of obtaining DSP. We've all heard the complaints about being forced to become a 'school yard bully' just to get DSP. Quite a few people on the game forums want a more 'Palpatine' way of doing things. I'd like to add more options to lie to and deceive NPCs you may come across.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on acheiving this goal. More specifically, suggestions on which dialogs to tweak.

Thanks. ;)

Check for updates here (http://home.earthlink.net/~genz44/).
 Drazin
03-16-2005, 7:25 PM
I agree.
Glad you are going to tackle this. It has been mentioned before but I dont think anyone has done anything about it yet.

The main thing I would like to see is less "Gimme your money or I'll kick your butt." dialogue.

More manipulation, More Decietfullness.
 DarthRevan2102
03-16-2005, 8:45 PM
yea i agree too... but leave the things like.... give me all your credits and jump into the pit.... i found that quite funny:( :D
 jblue789
03-16-2005, 9:14 PM
Sounds cool, but keep the pit one and the ones that are already manipulationy.
 Doc Valentine
03-16-2005, 9:28 PM
This will be an interesting mod to see, considering how much the dialogs in both games were questionable. They didn't quite have the starwars feel to them. But I guess its hard making that transition from NeverWinter Nights to Star Wars, two completely different things, the Kotor 2 dialogs were better though, still some changes needed but not as bad as kotor1.
 kay338
03-16-2005, 10:37 PM
yeah that would be great and hard :), i dont like killing everything i see for dsp, dialog would be alot nicer :) and yeah the gimme yoour money and jump down was kinda funny :P. anways good luck
 Shadow Blaze
03-16-2005, 10:49 PM
I think this will be a good mod to have. Heh the first time I saw that give me your money and jump in the central pit line I almost fell off my chair laughing. Speaking of which you should put some rather funny ones in too. Good luck with the mod!
 Emperor Devon
03-16-2005, 11:21 PM
KOTOR 2 has good dialogue, but there are a few things I think need revising.

First, more options to kill people. I know there are a few of those, but I would like to be able to slaughter most of the people I meet. For example, you can steal a false holocron from Ralon, but not kill him!?! A true Sith would never let anyone try to play him for a fool and live! :dev11:
But, I would like more subtlety - with party members. Obsidian had said you could tell your companions what they wanted to hear, and outright lie to them - but you can't do that. And speaking of companions, another thing that should be changed is their personality. If a party member is corrupted to the dark side, why would he/she still have a light side personality? If Bao-Dur is on the dark side, and I kill an innocent, why should he complain? No sense there.
And for a final thing, the way people call your PC a JEDI! :monkbomb: I mean, if your PC is wearing black robes, has pale skin, and large, purple veins, why would your character be called a Jedi? It was a good touch how the occasional NPC would comment on your face, but I think that needs to be taken to a higher level.
And the duel with Sion. Nothing wrecks a good lightsber duel when someone calls a Sith Lord a Jedi. :whacked:
 Lorden Darkblade
03-17-2005, 10:52 AM
This sure is a promising mod :)
Good luck with it ;)
 PoM
03-17-2005, 2:29 PM
Well, as a matter of fact...I made a crappy mod that changed kinda 12 dialogs or something in the kotor1...It really was kinda boring actually, but just to point out..
 Flashblade
03-17-2005, 5:35 PM
Originally posted by Emperor Devon
If Bao-Dur is on the dark side, and I kill an innocent, why should he complain?

Actually when you seduced them to become Dark Jedi, the complaining stops and it makes somewhat sense that they complain before that, trying to cling to the person they once were.
 Doc Valentine
03-17-2005, 7:28 PM
KOTOR 2 has good dialogue, but there are a few things I think need revising.

First, more options to kill people. I know there are a few of those, but I would like to be able to slaughter most of the people I meet. For example, you can steal a false holocron from Ralon, but not kill him!?! A true Sith would never let anyone try to play him for a fool and live! :dev11:
But, I would like more subtlety - with party members. Obsidian had said you could tell your companions what they wanted to hear, and outright lie to them - but you can't do that. And speaking of companions, another thing that should be changed is their personality. If a party member is corrupted to the dark side, why would he/she still have a light side personality? If Bao-Dur is on the dark side, and I kill an innocent, why should he complain? No sense there.
And for a final thing, the way people call your PC a JEDI! :monkbomb: I mean, if your PC is wearing black robes, has pale skin, and large, purple veins, why would your character be called a Jedi? It was a good touch how the occasional NPC would comment on your face, but I think that needs to be taken to a higher level.
And the duel with Sion. Nothing wrecks a good lightsber duel when someone calls a Sith Lord a Jedi. :whacked:

I agree with the sion part, that should have been alot different!
 jblue789
03-17-2005, 8:09 PM
While I agree to most of Devon's words, the calling a Sith a Jedi isn't needed to be changed. Most people don't see much difference between Sith or Jedi, and Sion probably doesn't want to consider the Exile as even a possible Sith. Sion is a Sith Lord, Nihilus is a Sith Lord, in Sion's eyes, the Exile is not a Sith Lord. Not ever. Until he gets killed...
 Emperor Devon
03-17-2005, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by jblue789
While I agree to most of Devon's words, the calling a Sith a Jedi isn't needed to be changed. Most people don't see much difference between Sith or Jedi, and Sion probably doesn't want to consider the Exile as even a possible Sith. Sion is a Sith Lord, Nihilus is a Sith Lord, in Sion's eyes, the Exile is not a Sith Lord. Not ever. Until he gets killed...

While I agree with that Son wouldn't want to consider the exile a Jedi, I would think he would be more intelligent... Would a Jedi kill the last of the Jedi? Would a Jedi says things like "Fight or die, spare me the threats?" would a Jedi dress in black? I think even Sion would be more intelligent... But it just ruins the feel of a good duel between two SIth Lords when one calls the other a Jedi.
 The Regent
03-18-2005, 1:48 AM
I'll probably regret this, but I'll see if I can edit the sound files to have people say "Sith" instead of "Jedi" if you're dark side. Just remember that I don't have access to the original actors. :disaprove Hopefully it won't sound like a bad foreign film.

Anyway, I'll have a site up soon listing my progress.

:lightning
 Xcom
03-18-2005, 2:54 AM
would a Jedi dress in black?

Well, if you look at the movies, then the answer is yes.

Luke in ROTJ was wearing mostly black.

Anakin in Ep2 wasn't really "lightly" dressed. He wasn't totally black, but in dark tints. And I don't remember Obi-Wan saying, "Hey, Anakin, whazzup with the dark outfits? You aren't turning to the DS, are you?" :D
Dooku was in black. Ok, he was darksided, but (obviously) he was presumed to be a Jedi until Obi-Wan discovered his plot.

I guess for us viewers this distinction is obvious, but for actual characters it is not.
 ninjaguy
03-18-2005, 7:59 AM
yeah, I always thought the ol' brown jedi robes look horrible, I usually find myself wearing anything but the usual tan/brown wether playing DS or LS. I don't think there is a color code in SW other than the sabers.

As far as the dialog I wouldn't go as far as editing anything out, but adding dialog certainly wouldn't hurt, and would indeed enhance it if done really well since most of it seems to be more or less far LS or far DS responses. good luck
 The Regent
03-18-2005, 3:41 PM
Thanks for the wishes of luck, everybody. I'll probably need it. ;)

Now a question:

For dialog that originates from a very light or very dark alignment, should I add dialog for the opposite side? Like adding a DSP choice to the dialog where a companion comments on how you are 'glowing'.

Don't worry about the existing dialog. I won't remove anything. I'll just add a light/dark check for some things.

Get updates here (http://home.earthlink.net/~genz44/).
 Emperor Devon
03-18-2005, 7:34 PM
Wow, I wasn't expecting anyone to make a mod like this! THANKS! :bounce1:
 The Regent
03-20-2005, 6:52 PM
I've put an early version up at pcgamemods. The changes are listed in the readme.

Comments are welcome. :D
 Lorden Darkblade
03-20-2005, 7:09 PM
Now, I thought you were going to add more then just lying options, if you ask me, it's not only lying that makes one fall to the dark side.
Did Anakin lied?
If the player is very emotional he should also fall to the dark side.
Jedi can not be much emotional. They have to be kinda logic.
They can't love, they have to think what is the REAL best option to be done, even if that means not helping someone.

Well that's just what I think tho.
 The Regent
03-20-2005, 8:38 PM
Good points. Falling to the DS is about more than just lying or being a big 'ol meanie. ;) As the saying goes, "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions." You could have only the purest of goals, but if you harm someone to get to those goals...fallen to the DS, you have. However, as Jolee explained in K1, just having strong emotions or feelings of love can't lead to the DS by themselves.

Having more DS options like you have explained would've been more possible in K1. There were many more things Revan could 'fly off the handle' about. The Exile doesn't seem to have many attachments to people or things that go deep enough through the story to be able to provide such a reaction. Sure, he/she can be pissed at the Jedi, but those options have already been provided for. Maybe if I had the uncut ending to work with...:confused:

Anyway, don't worry too much. I haven't gone looking for dialog 'opportunities' through whole locations yet. I've only hit some companion interaction and area dialogs that have stuck in my mind since I've last played.

If you have any ideas, I'll be happy to explore them. :D
 Emperor Devon
03-20-2005, 11:44 PM
Hmm... I have a few ideas.

You know the gaurd on Onderon who asks you what your buisness on Iziz is? There could be a slight dialogue revision:

Gaurd: Halt, offworlder. You'll have to answer some questions before you enter the city. Now, what is your buisness in Iziz?

PC: After someone finds your corpse, they'll wonder what buisness you were sticking your nose in. Die! (PC attacks Gaurd)

Just an idea... ;)
 The Regent
03-21-2005, 3:41 PM
@ Emperor Devon: I'll look at putting that in when I get down to Onderon. I just need to figure out how this would affect the rest of the guards in the city. You know, if they would attack you on sight or not.

@ Uchiha Itachi: If you, or anyone else ;), has an idea where a good emotional 'burst' could be implemented, I'd appreciate any input. I've been trying to think of one, but I can't come up with anything good.
 Emperor Devon
03-21-2005, 6:19 PM
Originally posted by The Regent
@ Emperor Devon: I'll look at putting that in when I get down to Onderon. I just need to figure out how this would affect the rest of the guards in the city. You know, if they would attack you on site or not.

Is that a bad thing? ;)
Page: 1 of 1