Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

sound effects for force crush

Page: 1 of 1
 shangoman
02-28-2005, 1:11 AM
I don't know if it's just me, but the promo for kotorII had a wicked bone crunching sfx for forcecrush. So I finally get power and enemy groans but no *bone crunching* sfx. anyone know if maybe that sfx can be enable and how.
thx in advance.
 Keiko
02-28-2005, 4:34 AM
That would be sweet!:D Do it, do it!
 Ferrek
02-28-2005, 4:56 AM
I might be wrong, but I seem to remember getting that sound when I played the game as darkside. The power is something you get from the Sith Lord prestige class, isn't it? Cause I ran around using that one a lot, partly due to the nice damage combined with immobilizing the enemy while he was being crushed, and partly because of the sound it made.

Maybe you're just standing too far away from the guy you're crushing to hear it?
 seanconnery
02-28-2005, 5:09 AM
Originally posted by Ferrek
The power is something you get from the Sith Lord prestige class, isn't it?
Actually, no. Teehee.

Maybe you're just standing too far away from the guy you're crushing to hear it? [/B]

Possible. I'll check and report back.
 shangoman
02-28-2005, 5:32 AM
Could be, I'll crank the sound when the bird not home and get up close and personal and listen for that bone crushing sound. Thx for the replies thus far.

Just tried it with all other sound turned off except sfx and definitely not sound as enemy gets crushed into ball. with music on, music gets louder and faster (sorry don't know music, its probably called a crescendo or something like that).

Now I guess I need to learn about animations and timing sfx to it. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it. Cause the lack of sfx takes away from the power I think.
 Xcom
02-28-2005, 5:41 AM
Hmm.. the sound is there (I mean in the sound library), but it doesn't play for as far as I can tell. I could be wrong though.
 Seprithro
02-28-2005, 6:30 AM
actualy that sound isnt in the files, but a more "gooey" sound which really dosent fit the power, so what i did was rip the sound from the trailer and use it for the power :D it's part of a wip i am doing for the force powers, it should be done before to long :D
 shangoman
02-28-2005, 6:37 AM
sounds great, but how do insert a custom sound effect into game? I'm currently researching it. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

BTW what does W.I.P. stand for?
 ChAiNz.2da
02-28-2005, 8:07 AM
Originally posted by shangoman
BTW what does W.I.P. stand for?
W = Work(s)
I = In
P = Progress

:)
 stingerhs
02-28-2005, 9:58 AM
wait!!! before you start, the sound does exist!!!

using fred's kotor tool:
kotorII>BIF's>sounds>WAV's>v_imp_crush.wav

the game just doesn't use the sound. although, i hear its not too difficult to put it back in....;)
 Seprithro
02-28-2005, 11:13 AM
Yes, but that is not the sound used in the trailer, its more squishy than the crushing sound
 Doc Valentine
02-28-2005, 1:15 PM
Forgive me Seprithro but I tried editing sound before in kotor 1, the lightsabers mainly, and it ended up failing horribly. Could you please tell me how exactly you replaced the sound, IE:where you put it, and if there is a specific format you used. Much thanks.
-GSCCC
 stingerhs
02-28-2005, 1:51 PM
well, since this has somewhat caught my interest, i have successfully ripped the audio from the trailer into a .wav file. i'm currently using some audio editing to isolate the sound of the Force Crush. give me a moment....

edit: okay, i've successfully ripped out the Force Crush sound effect from the movie, the only problem is that i don't have anywhere to host it. oh well, i'm sure i can resolve that issue as well......
 Seprithro
02-28-2005, 7:49 PM
ok what i did was simple first i used bink to convert teh trailer to a wav file, then i used sound recorder to get just the sounds i wanted out and saved it, then i used bink again to convert it to a 16bit mono wav, then i renamed it to match the default\unused sound, (v_imp_crush) then i droped it in override, open up spells.2da and changed the line castsound from v_useforce to v_imp_crush saved and droped in override bingo bone shattering force crush sound effects :)
 stingerhs
03-01-2005, 3:07 AM
hmm, had a feeling you had to play with a .2da for it to work. thanx for the info Sep. :)

heh, go figure though. i downloaded the trailer in .mov format and spent 30min looking for a program that would extract the audio. leave it to me to forget that the trailer comes with the game, and that i could have used the Bink! editing stuff the whole time.....:rolleyes:
 Juha Avery
03-01-2005, 6:23 AM
So could somoene send the sound file for me? If its ready i mean. I just dont understand WHY is it in trailer and not enabled in game.
 stingerhs
03-01-2005, 6:51 AM
Originally posted by Juha Avery
So could somoene send the sound file for me? If its ready i mean. I just dont understand WHY is it in trailer and not enabled in game.
my guess is that they cut it because it made the game too violent, well, in their eyes anyway. even the one they included with the game sounds like a 'dumbed' down version of the one in the trailer.

to be honest though, i'm going to look around on the internet for some crunching noises and modify them so they match with the animations. i'm just not satisfied with the one in the trailer: it just sounds too muddy.
 Keiko
03-01-2005, 11:50 AM
Where would you find the trailer force crush sound?
 stingerhs
03-01-2005, 11:53 AM
it's included with the game. since its in .bik format, all you have to do is follow Sep's earlier instructions to get it in the game. ;)
 Keiko
03-01-2005, 11:55 AM
I mean, I cant locate it, i cant find it! ;)
 stingerhs
03-01-2005, 12:00 PM
oops!

C:\....\swkotor2\movies\trailer.bik

;)
 CluelessDude
03-01-2005, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Seprithro
ok what i did was simple first i used bink to convert teh trailer to a wav file, then i used sound recorder to get just the sounds i wanted out and saved it, then i used bink again to convert it to a 16bit mono wav, then i renamed it to match the default\unused sound, (v_imp_crush) then i droped it in override, open up spells.2da and changed the line castsound from v_useforce to v_imp_crush saved and droped in override bingo bone shattering force crush sound effects :)

Any possibility of your putting the file up for download? I can host it if you need it. :)
 Keiko
03-01-2005, 1:42 PM
When I use a sound recorder, it dosent play the trailer sound, I dont get what to do, i have bink also
 Darth333
03-01-2005, 1:52 PM
You have to convert to .wav format first. read Sep's post carefully.
 Keiko
03-01-2005, 6:16 PM
I did that, but it never plays anything:D
 shangoman
03-01-2005, 8:46 PM
Originally posted by ChAiNz.2da
W = Work(s)
I = In
P = Progress

:)

:o oic, ty.
 Juha Avery
03-02-2005, 4:07 AM
Anyone made the crush sound yet?
 CluelessDude
03-02-2005, 12:17 PM

The only problem with editing the spells.2da file in this manner is that the sound starts playing the moment the player activates the power.

In other words, there's a sound file called by spells.2da for the PLAYER to make (when he makes his hand gesture), and then there's a sound that the TARGET is supposed to make as well.

Using the method above yielded a 'crunch' sound that was completely out of synch with the target's animation.

I looked through the script for Kill to see if I could figure out a way to change the target's sound for Force Crush. No luck. While Kill calls a VFX for the target, Crush seems to call a script function (EffectCrush). I can't find EffectCrush anywhere but its brief mention in k_inc_force, and another one in nwscript.nss. Neither one seemed to define it.

So either there's something to be done that I can't find, or, simply put, the sound for Crush will have to be timed to match up to the animations. Unfortunately, the game doesn't seem to have a set time for the power to go off. Or at least on my computer, the length of the casting seems to fluctuate.

I may be too much of a perfectionist, but I'd rather not have the sound at all than have it not match the animation.
 Seprithro
03-02-2005, 12:23 PM
thanks for the heads up, but i fixed that little problem sometime ago ;) i timed the sound in the editing
 CluelessDude
03-02-2005, 1:41 PM
thanks for the heads up, but i fixed that little problem sometime ago ;) i timed the sound in the editing

Glad to hear it. So you feel like making it available, then? ;) :D
 Seprithro
03-02-2005, 2:18 PM
not until it's finished :D ;)
 shangoman
03-04-2005, 3:47 AM
Replacement sound effects for Force Crush now available at:
http://www.pcgamemods.com/10761/)

After the above post I was playing and noticed that in crowd with all the commotion and other fx it was difficult to hear the crushing part of the effect. So I increased the volume on the crushing portion. The new file is located at:
http://www.pcgamemods.com/10762/)

Sorry for the inconvenience, I guess just got too excited about making my 1st submission.

:band1 My 1st submission. :D
 Keiko
03-04-2005, 12:30 PM
Thank you, thank you, your far to kind!:D
 endpoint
06-04-2005, 4:10 PM
in the readme for the mod it says to open spells.2da but I can't find this file...
Page: 1 of 1