Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Vader breath sound loop

Page: 1 of 1
 obijon1138
12-03-2004, 6:07 PM
Is there anyway to make a sound loop attached to an NPC?
Like Darth Vader's breathing machine.

Working example: the sentry or interrogator droid. They have .wav files in their sound directory that are the reference to the ambient sound they put out when nearby.
How does the game engine know to run these loops (command?)
I would like to know how to get the same effect for Vader.

Thanks
 obijon1138
12-05-2004, 6:47 PM
Hurry!
If I don't get his breathing machine to work he's gonna die!
And I sure as hell ain't gonna do...ugh...mouth to mouth.:eyeraise:
 razorace
12-05-2004, 9:19 PM
OJP's animevent code lets you be able to do that for your MP NPCs. If you're asking for an SP solution, I can't help you.
 obijon1138
12-06-2004, 11:34 AM
Eh...just another SP code roadblock for the mod community. Well I have discovered so far that character class is hardcoded and now this.
I don't suppose they will ever release it. Even though they have exhausted the Quake 3 engine.:(
I guess people would be going out making all kinds of SW games if they did. Then they would have no control...it would be anarchy! CHAOS! AHHHHHHHHH!:D
 razorace
12-06-2004, 1:55 PM
Yeah, that's why I'm working on getting the SP maps to run like the SP game in MP. Made great progress so far.
 obijon1138
12-06-2004, 3:07 PM
Would this be a co-op team map? Such as an SP map set up with bots (opposing team) that a player could join on the server with others on the same team and complete the objectives. That would be great!

I am working on a co-op SP mod but I am having trouble with characteristics that are encoded out of reach to the average editor.

Maybe there are other methods...such as tricking the program.
Computers are only as smart as you allow them to be. It's a matter of learning how to lie to it.:p
 razorace
12-06-2004, 9:30 PM
Actually it's a code modification, not a map. It's just setting up the system to get things to run on the defualt SP maps and the maps of the Dark Forces mod.

Basically, the players just battle thru the map(s) against the NPCs, just like in SP, objectives and all.
 lassev
12-07-2004, 1:51 AM
Originally posted by razorace
Yeah, that's why I'm working on getting the SP maps to run like the SP game in MP. Made great progress so far.

It must be a huge amount of work. Just the other day I heard reports soundsets don't work in func_statics rotated with a script in MP, whereas they work alright in SP. I haven't tested this myself, though, but if there are differences like that, your work, if succesful, is a real heroic deed.
 razorace
12-07-2004, 9:18 AM
Yeah, I've already dumped thousands of lines of code on it already. But it's getting there. A lot of the maps are at least playable at this point.

I've never heard of that problem before. Is it a problem whenever the object is script rotated, or just script moved?
 jedispy
12-07-2004, 9:16 PM
I was thinking that it might be possible to run looped sounds on maps. This seems apparent. What would stop us from running the breathing loop as a sound in the room itself. Therefore we'd hear Vader's breathing, even if it isn't on Vader himself.

Yes? No?
 razorace
12-07-2004, 10:38 PM
I suppose you could do that. But then the sound would be localized in the room and only work for that room.
 jedispy
12-08-2004, 4:43 AM
True, however for my purposes (which I understand are not exclusively discussed in this thread) the SOTE mod has only one level where there is only one room. It would work perfect for our team.

Again, not a fix for everyone else though.
 obijon1138
12-08-2004, 11:26 AM
If it were to be done that way you would have to look up the ambient soundfile for the map or scene and mix it in. I could try that for you.
There is an ambient folder which usually has the background sound loop for the map placement. Jungle sounds, ship control sounds, water movement, etc. Or place the loop in Vader's position on the map.:D Which I'm not sure how to do.

But what I would need would be action movement. Where you would be constantly moving with him in action on the map.
Page: 1 of 1