Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What WAS That?

Page: 1 of 1
 Kasabian
10-18-2004, 2:56 PM
My first post at LucasForums, so hey all. I've been reading most of the posts, but didn't think I'd be able to contribute much, but I'm going to give it a shot.

Now, I've just recently purchased the Star Wars DVDs, and like all other DVD purchases I've made, I like to stop every so often and zoom in on certain things, just to notice and appreciate minor details. But one thing has me stumped. What was that thing that fell out of the small chute with Luke when he jumps to escape Vader? (To be exact, watch the part where Luke lands and hangs from one of the rod-like objects on the Cloud City underside) Was it his dismembered arm, and if so, how would this work in with the EU tale of Luuke being cloned from the sabered limb?
 Shok_Tinoktin
10-18-2004, 3:56 PM
Welcome Kasabian, and I have not noticed that, but I will check the first chance I get and let you know. That is, provided someone doesn't beat me to it.

*cough* Kurgan *cough*

Update: I watched it and I cant tell what it is. I am fairly certain that it was not his hand, because it didn't seem to be near him at any time. My best guess is that it was his blaster, as we see a close-up of it in his holster, and the way he lands it looks like it could easily have fallen out.
 FiEND_138
10-18-2004, 4:24 PM
^^
Werd. Or Vaders pink saber in ESB/RotJ........

& Greetings Kasabian.
 Kain
10-18-2004, 4:30 PM
Originally posted by FiEND_138
^^
Werd. Or Vaders pink saber in ESB/RotJ........

Lest we forget the whole saber fights opening clash at the end of RotJ...
 FiEND_138
10-18-2004, 4:50 PM
Ahhhh.... washing sickening image from his mind....
 Shok_Tinoktin
10-18-2004, 5:15 PM
Or Vader's orange saber.
 Kain
10-18-2004, 6:29 PM
BACK ON TOPIC: It might have been his lightsaber?
 Shok_Tinoktin
10-18-2004, 6:45 PM
except that his lightsaber flew off with his hand. it was not seen anywhere near him in any previous scenes. that and the fact that it looks as if it was something bigger than a lightsaber.
 ET Warrior
10-18-2004, 6:52 PM
Not inclined to go and look at it, but it COULD be his lightsaber, just because it was in his hand when it got cut off does not mean it fell with his hand....

Welcome to the forums anyways :D
 coupes.
10-18-2004, 7:01 PM
I beleive it's his hand and his laghtsaber. However, it wouldn't make much sense since we didn't see either in the tunnel before he fell under cloud city.
 Jan Gaarni
10-18-2004, 11:21 PM
It's been a public beliefe for as long as I can remember that that was his hand, and possibly his saber.
 Sivy
10-18-2004, 11:24 PM
i always thought it was luke's hand

:wavey: welcome Kasabian
 Kurgan
10-19-2004, 2:14 AM
Originally posted by Shok_Tinoktin
Welcome Kasabian, and I have not noticed that, but I will check the first chance I get and let you know. That is, provided someone doesn't beat me to it.

*cough* Kurgan *cough*

Update: I watched it and I cant tell what it is. I am fairly certain that it was not his hand, because it didn't seem to be near him at any time. My best guess is that it was his blaster, as we see a close-up of it in his holster, and the way he lands it looks like it could easily have fallen out.

Heh, this time you beat me fair and square. I was distracted elsewhere when you posted. ; ) Kudos.

I was wondering that myself when I was watching ESB the other day (in the past I just sort of assumed it was his hand or just some generic debris), but didn't bother to click the screencap button out of sheer laziness.
 Kasabian
10-19-2004, 3:58 AM
I looked over it again, and it looks sort of like a box. Perhaps the blaster, inside it's holster? o.O
 Kurgan
10-19-2004, 10:29 PM
Maybe a toolbox or lunchbox left there by some forgetful worker?
 Shok_Tinoktin
10-19-2004, 10:41 PM
but where would it have fallen from? There seemed to be nothing else in the chute thing, and why would something be dangling from the thing he lands on. Thats why i suspect it was something he had on his person.
 Lieutenant_kettch
10-20-2004, 8:19 AM
i bet it was his hand and/or saber, it could have easily been sucked ito the shoot he was eventually sucked into. then gone on the same path luke was about to take. However, it didn't have enough weight and/or size to activate the sensor that would open the hatch where luke fell from to the open air(very end fall, where he grabs the antennae thing), and when he reached, he set off the sensor, and both of them fell
 Shok_Tinoktin
10-20-2004, 10:38 AM
except for the fact that what we see at the bottom of the shoot is, nothing. I could be wrong, but I would assume that we would be able to see it before the thing opens.
Page: 1 of 1