Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Which movies do you like better?

Page: 1 of 1
 Puphlicus
10-13-2004, 12:11 AM
Feel free to post a reason too.
 Sivy
10-13-2004, 1:26 AM
there are things about the OT dvd i don't like...

greedo still shooting first.
luke's color-changing lightsaber in ANH
jabba's scene in ANH, eventhough it was improved alot for the DVD.
hayden at the end of ROTJ (GL says it will be explained in Ep III, well i hope so)
the CGI mos eisley looks out of place.

but overall i do like the SEs

most of the effects are better
i love the new han scene in the death star when he runs into a room filled with stormtroopers.
bespin was a big improvement
the rancor looks a lot better.

so i'll vote for the DVDs cause there are things i don't like but i can live with them.
 Shok_Tinoktin
10-13-2004, 1:27 AM
I like the original version, because I think some of the changes in the Special Edition were pretty bad. The Jabba in ANH scene was not of very good quality (even though it was cleaned up a little for the DVD), the Greedo shooting first thing (need I say more), the new Jabba's palace scene, the new Ewok song, etc. There were a couple things that were improvements in the SE, like Coruscant at the end of ROTJ, but it was not as good overall. I think the DVD version was a great improvement over the original special edition (except a few things), but I still have to stand by the original cut.

Edit: Just read your post Siv, and I had to comment (since I dont think has been mentioned anywhere else) on what you said about the room with the stormtroopers. I like the original version, because Han catches them off gaurd, but eventually finds that he has gotten himself into a very bad situation. I always found that scene to be very hilarious, and I think the new version takes away most of what makes that such a great scene.
 Shok_Tinoktin
10-13-2004, 1:36 AM
some of the content changes in the DVD version were not as good, but you have to concede that the quality change was unbelievable!
 Lieutenant_kettch
10-13-2004, 7:19 AM
visual quality was a great improvement, but i still appreciate and enjoy OT the most
 TheOutrider
10-17-2004, 9:08 PM
I like the original trilogy best of all!
 El Sitherino
10-17-2004, 9:24 PM
It's all the same to me when I sit down and watch it. :dozey:
 Kain
10-17-2004, 9:34 PM
No Yoda!!!! option? WTF kinda poll is this?!?! F***ing n00b:p (j/k)

Original Original Trilogy here. I like it when Han fries that rodian sack of **** for no reason.
 Shok_Tinoktin
10-17-2004, 9:59 PM
it was hardly for no reason, it was Han or Greedo anyway. IMO, the only thing the special edition changed was to make Greedo a bad shot. So now Han gets tracked down by an inept bounty hunter.
 RedHawke
10-17-2004, 10:21 PM
I voted The Original Star Wars Trilogy, because those are the ones I am used to.

Originally posted by Sivy
there are things about the OT dvd i don't like...

greedo still shooting first.
luke's color-changing lightsaber in ANH
jabba's scene in ANH, eventhough it was improved alot for the DVD.
hayden at the end of ROTJ (GL says it will be explained in Ep III, well i hope so)
the CGI mos eisley looks out of place.

but overall i do like the SEs

most of the effects are better
i love the new han scene in the death star when he runs into a room filled with stormtroopers.
bespin was a big improvement
the rancor looks a lot better.

I agree with Sivy on all these points. :D

But I still voted for the Original versions.
 Kasabian
10-19-2004, 4:48 AM
The only original version of the movies I've seen is ANH, so that's not really my place to pass judgement, but I do have both the DVD and VHS Special Editions. When compared to the VHS version, the DVDs look much cleaner and crisp, and going against what most people said, I prefer Jabba in the Original SE. Overall, I prefer the DVDs, purely because I can stop and go to my favourite scenes straight away, and do great things like slow down some scenes to appreciate the minor details. :)
 Kurgan
10-20-2004, 1:58 AM
I was just thinking how there's really 3 "Original" versions of Star Wars, and 2 "Original" versions of the other two films.

You have the 1977 Star Wars, then the 1981 "Episode IV: A New Hope" with the modified opening crawl, redubbing of Beru's lines and the addition of the "mouse droid scared by Chewbacca" scene (that was apparently in a test screening but not the main release). Then you have the "THX Enhanced" releases of all three films in 1995 (?), which were the same as the previous theatrical cuts, but used some alternate dialouge and sound takes, plus a couple of added lines. Supposedly much of that was unintentional, they just used the best clips they had at the time and didn't pay too much close attention, but anyway.

Then you have the Special Editions released in theaters for all three movies in 1997.

Now we have the 2004 DVD Editions. However the credits for these editions are unchanged from the SE's, even though you have some actors being added or removed since then.

I guess I should say that I prefer certain aspects of the Originals over the SE's and certain aspects of the SE's over the 2004 Editions.

The main draw for the DVD's right now is the incredible visual restoration. Little things like the inconsistent lightsabers, the goofy audio gaffes in ANH, and the unnecessary changes like the pasting in of Hayden Christiansen and the redubbing of Boba Fett's lines are annoyances. The Original Greedo death scene was fine, and never needed to be changed, though the 2004 Edition at least is somewhat more convincing than the 1997 edition. Likewise the new Jabba scene, while unnecessary, looks nicer in the 2004 Edition than in the 1997 SE.

Redubbing Fett's lines I think was a big mistake. First off putting aside the fact that accents aren't genetic and that young Boba in AOTC doesn't seem to have one, and the fact that the majority of people who saw the prequels first aren't going to notice Jango's voice, they're going to notice his suit. And when they see Boba Fett wearing the same suit and flying the same ship, etc. they'll go "oh, that must be his son Boba!"

They drove the point home that he's going to follow in his father's footsteps when he is holding his slain father's helmet and pressing it to his own forehead in the Geonosis arena.

The other deal is that the new actor just didn't deliver his lines with the feeling and menace that the original voice actor did. The original voice sounded more badass, and I miss it. While Boba may want to emulate his father, he obviously brings his own character to the role of the tough bounty hunter. After all he changed the armor. Oh well...

Ian McDiarmid did a great job playing the over-acting Emperor in ROTJ. For pure cackling maniacal evil and menace, he was great. But his portrayal in ESB just doesn't have it. The original voice actor had more energy, and he said "yes" twice, and differently as if he's thinking about turning Luke. It just has more punch, and is a better performance. The actress playing the "face" of Palpatine in the original hologram shot even smiles at that point, giving more character to an otherwise dull picture. Without that acting, it might as well just be a mask, or CG. The new performance looks like the Emperor, but he doesn't act like the Emperor we know. Again, oh well...

I can accept that the music and celebrations at the end of ROTJ do a better job of "summing up" the end of the trilogy and the end of the series. The original ending was about the Ewoks and THEIR victory. This is about the victory of the whole alliance and the people over the dictatorship of the Empire. The old song is more nostalgic for me, because it brings up memories of seeing the movie in theaters after anticipating it for weeks, of listening to the record at home on our family's stereo, and it conjures up the hours and hours I spent with the "read-along" book on my kid's record player. Ditto for "Lapti Nek."

As far as the latter goes, it feels a little more "alien" to me than the "Jedi Rocks." The whole Jedi Rocks sequence I can rationalize as black comedy, but it sort of kills some of the scariness, with the cartoony characters. Sy Snootles is more animated now, but she's missing some of the detail of the original puppet (she had a feather headdress, tusks, etc).

I guess as far as changes go, Empire Strikes Back seems to benefit the most (I agree with Chris Gould of DVDAnswers) from the changes (with the cavate about the Emperor's scene and redubbing of Fett's lines). It seems the least "tainted" by the changes, and rather enhnaced.

Really the new DVD's feel like a tweaking of the SE, and the SE did add a lot of nice subtle fixes and tweaks, but some of the stuff was fine and didn't need to be changed.

Hopefully in the future Lucas will finally relent and include a restored, but un-re-edited/CGIed version of the trilogy to be released alongside his "new vision."
 Prime
10-20-2004, 6:37 AM
Originally posted by Kurgan
Hopefully in the future Lucas will finally relent and include a restored, but un-re-edited/CGIed version of the trilogy to be released alongside his "new vision." I'd say the chances of that are exactly zero. :)
 Darth333
10-20-2004, 8:07 AM
I surprised myself at voting for the 2004 dvd edition rather than for the originals. Initially I thought I would be deceived by this new edition but on the contrary, I think they did a good general cleaning job and to be able to watch the movies on DVD is great.

There are certainly a few things which I considered should not have been done, mostly those new voice additions (Kurgan has already explained everything concerning this much better than I would have so I won't get into it again) and Anakin at the end ( maybe it's nostalgia but I miss that scene). I can understand why they did it but I prefer the originals on this. I would like them to release a dvd edition of the originals...the 30th anniversary of the ANH is only in a few years...:D
 Jet Black
10-20-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Shok_Tinoktin
it was hardly for no reason, it was Han or Greedo anyway. IMO, the only thing the special edition changed was to make Greedo a bad shot. So now Han gets tracked down by an inept bounty hunter.

I still don't like that Greedo fires at all, but in the EU book "Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina" you find out that Greedo was just a kid with practically zero Bounty-Hunting experience... since Han is an experienced, highly skilled smuggler, it can sort of be explained as you said: Greedo's a bad, inept Bounty Hunter.
 Shok_Tinoktin
10-20-2004, 4:37 PM
but a half-trained monkey with Parkinson's could hit a person across the table!

I liked Greedo not shooting too, but at least the change has made for a lot of good internet jokes.
 Lieutenant_kettch
10-20-2004, 4:48 PM
but a half-trained monkey with Parkinson's could hit a person across the table!

I liked Greedo not shooting too, but at least the change has made for a lot of good internet jokes.

hehe, yeah there have been. it made that part of the movie kinda lame... but after i got used to the stupidity of it, it became part of the movie. Now the real problem with OTDVD is the celebration at the end of ROTJ
 Shok_Tinoktin
10-20-2004, 5:10 PM
One of the few SE changes that I really like. Only problem with it is the change in the Ewok song.
 ET Warrior
10-20-2004, 5:17 PM
Originally posted by Jet Black
since Han is an experienced, highly skilled smuggler, it can sort of be explained as you said: Greedo's a bad, inept Bounty Hunter.

Which makes sense why Han could get the drop on him and blast him before he can even pull the trigger. I think it's insanely pathetic that Greedo could miss a HUMAN from across a table :dozey:
 El Sitherino
10-20-2004, 5:55 PM
but still oddly humorous....
 Jet Black
10-20-2004, 6:06 PM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
Which makes sense why Han could get the drop on him and blast him before he can even pull the trigger. I think it's insanely pathetic that Greedo could miss a HUMAN from across a table :dozey:

Okay, howabout this one... it's a long shot, but it almost fits into Han's character enough to be believable.

In "Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina" we also find out that Han knows Greedo from before, and he knows he's a punk kid... I believe he teaches him a lesson, but can't recall the details.

What if (big IF) Han is toying with Greedo, and *let's* him take the first shot, knowing he'll easily be able to dodge it or he'll miss. How's that for stretching it? :greedo:
 Shok_Tinoktin
10-20-2004, 6:51 PM
Even knowing that he is not especially skilled, I doubt that Han would make the assumption that he would miss the shot. I buy more into something I found in another post someone did:

http://www.arts.mcgill.ca/programs/polisci/faculty/rexb/greedo.html)
 Darth Straker
10-21-2004, 3:50 AM
Apart from the already known flaws, there's really no way a VHS could beat a DVD. Sound Quality,picture quality are really light years away.
 Jet Black
10-21-2004, 6:27 AM
Even knowing that he is not especially skilled, I doubt that Han would make the assumption that he would miss the shot. I buy more into something I found in another post someone did:

http://www.arts.mcgill.ca/programs/polisci/faculty/rexb/greedo.html)

Thanks Shok_Tinoktin, that was wonderfully informative and educational :D

I think they're onto something with the Paranormal Activity.
 Shok_Tinoktin
10-21-2004, 12:28 PM
I've actually dug up a lot of evidence that it was either a) a sabotage that made the blaster fire eskew/explode in his face b) a second gunman firing an invisible shot that caused Greedo's to miss or c) both of the above. My main suspects are Boba Fett and Bossk, but this is all getting a little off topic I think.
 Jet Black
10-22-2004, 6:05 AM
I've actually dug up a lot of evidence that it was either a) a sabotage that made the blaster fire eskew/explode in his face b) a second gunman firing an invisible shot that caused Greedo's to miss or c) both of the above. My main suspects are Boba Fett and Bossk, but this is all getting a little off topic I think.

I know we're still veering off-topic (and you can answer this in the EU forum if you'd feel more comfortable), but I was wondering if any EU stories have ever explored whether SOLO has some sort of 'force sensitivity'. It's possible he does and attributes it to some sort of 'gut feeling' which has always helped him be a good smuggler.

Perhaps, if he was force sensitive, he could see Greedo's shot ahead of time and react accordingly.
 Prime
10-22-2004, 7:10 AM
whether SOLO has some sort of 'force sensitivity'. He isn't. Let's nip that one in the bud. ;)
 Hanna_solo
10-27-2004, 9:05 PM
star wars dvd edition ROCKS :D

:lsduel: :slsaber:
 Lieutenant_kettch
10-28-2004, 7:02 AM
I know we're still veering off-topic (and you can answer this in the EU forum if you'd feel more comfortable), but I was wondering if any EU stories have ever explored whether SOLO has some sort of 'force sensitivity'. It's possible he does and attributes it to some sort of 'gut feeling' which has always helped him be a good smuggler.

Perhaps, if he was force sensitive, he could see Greedo's shot ahead of time and react accordingly.

i wouldn't dare call him force sensitive, a small inkling of the force that gives him his great reflexes and hunches, but definatelynot enough to let him foresee the shot, esp, since he didn't appear to dodge, or even move...
 Shok_Tinoktin
10-28-2004, 12:40 PM
Yes he did. Remember, "back and to the right". Still, I'm with Prime on this one.
Page: 1 of 1