Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The Roleplay Padawan Mod

Page: 1 of 2
 Grif Vindh
10-06-2004, 8:43 PM
Achilles gave me permission to use his Padawan Mod as the basis for my little experiment, so I thought I'd throw it out there to see if it attracted any interest.

I have created a "Roleplay-oriented" addon to the Padawan mod that tries to explain why this Jedi runs all over Taris without mentioning to anyone -- including his companions -- that he is, in fact, a Jedi. It was mostly an excuse to play with the dialog editor in the KOTOR Tool, but I was rather fond of the result.

The file is available on pcgamemods.com:

http://www.pcgamemods.com/mod/7808.html)

Use this link instead, about 3/4 scroll down the page:

http://www.starwarsknights.com/kotor1mods.php)

Here's the readme:

Roleplay Padawan Mod by Grif Vindh
-------------------------------------------
Version 1.0, 7 October 2004

Introduction

This mod is based on Achilles' excellent Padawan Mod, which is in turn based on Talchia's groundbreaking Padawan Mod. Both of these mods allow you to start the game as Jedi class, and both do the job well.

What I wanted to do is to alter the beginning of the story so that the PC-as-Jedi on Taris made sense. The game does not treat the character as a Jedi until a pivotal moment on Dantooine: so how is it he's running around with a lightsaber on Taris, deflecting blaster bolts and stunning people?

I have used the "training module" (the attack on the Endar Spire) as an opportunity to explain why this Jedi is on Taris, and why he never tells anyone -- including other Jedi -- that he already is one. It's not a perfect explanation, but it works, and I think it's fun.

This is primarily a roleplaying mod -- it puts the Padawan mod it is based on context in a way that will (hopefully) mesh with the rest of the story better.

Features

1. Uses the basic components of Achilles' Padawan Mod. This means that your character will:

- start the game at third level (initial class and two jedi levels)
- be given one short lightsaber of the appropriate color

2. It breaks from Achilles' mod, however, in that you do not get Jedi robes. This is (hopefully) explained in-story.

3. The introductory dialog has been completely rewritten to set up why your character has become a Jedi and why he will ultimately fail to point that out when he's talking to the Jedi Masters on Dantooine.

4. The Endar Spire module has been modified to reflect your new status. The story is mostly the same, but the context is entirely different.

5. Two responses to Carth's initial conversation on Taris have been modified slightly to fit in with the new backstory.

6. Where possible I have tried to move the "learning the rules" conversation branches and pauses that appear throughout the game, especially in the beginning. Unfortunately, I was only able to find the ones in the dialog branches (and I had to leave the dialog branches alone in the Starboard portion of the Endar Spire module, because I kept breaking them).

What It Doesn't Do

1. None of the new dialog options have sound files attached to them. Maybe someday.

2. This mod is really of interest only if you're bothered by inconsistency of being a Jedi, going to Dantooine, and then being made a Jedi. The only reason to use this mod is if you're interested in the backstory and would like to see it fit a little better into the game itself. Also, it's a lot of fun to hack Sith guards to pieces with your lightsaber, and in the tutorial module you can do this without much trouble.

3. While I have *tried* to remove as much of the "tutorial" portion of the game as possible, there is still enough hanging around to piss you off if you've been through it twenty times already.

4. After you leave the Endar Spire, the "new storyline" sort of stops. If I get ambitious and people are interested I'll try to expand it to Taris. Someday. Maybe. If it doesn't make me cry.

Files Modified

These files were based on Achilles' Padawan Mod, but were altered to conform to the new storyline:

end_trask.utc - Trask Ulgo's character file
end_trask01.dlg - Dialog file that triggers the scripts and sets up the story
make_consular.ncs - assigns XP, Class, and Inventory for Consulars
make_guardian.ncs - assigns XP, Class, and Inventory for Guardians
make_sentinel.ncs - assigns XP, Class, and Inventory for Sentinels

These files were taken from the Endar Spire module and altered to keep the story consistent:

end_cut01.dlg
end_cut04.dlg
end_levelup.dlg
end_pop01.dlg
end_pop02.dlg
end_pop03.dlg
end_room3.dlg

Installation

To install this mod, copy all the files except for this readme into the Override folder in your KotOR directory. Once you have done this, start a new game. After the movies play you'll be taken to the new introduction and storyline.

Please note: when this mod is installed you will *not* be able to play the "original" storyline -- if you wish to play a Soldier, Scout or Scoundrel beyond level 1, you cannot do so with this mod.

Uninstallation

To uninstall this mod, delete the files listed above from your Override directory.

Reporting Bugs and Making Suggestions

If you find any bugs with this mod, or would like to make a suggestion, you can contact me at this email address: Edited by Darth333: I understand you just pasted your readme but I had to remove your e-mail as per the forum rules (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=127725) - use PM system

Acknowledgements

I would like to thank Talchia for the original mod that inspired Achilles' work.

I also want to thank Achilles for the outstanding work on his version on the mod, and for giving me permission to use his mod as the foundation of mine.

I would also like to think the creator of the KOTOR Tool for making my life a heck of a lot easier when I was working on this.

Fixed Mod's URL link (again)- ChAiNz.2da
 Darth_ToMeR
10-07-2004, 1:20 AM
Good idea, nice job.
 Grif Vindh
10-07-2004, 2:46 AM
Thanks! Of course, wouldn't you know it, I've already found my first bug. :P

When Trask runs off to fight the Dark Jedi, apparently the game gives you everything in his inventory. I really don't want the game to do that...
 Airrazor
10-07-2004, 4:51 AM
that is no bug m8 that is kotor doing that
 Grif Vindh
10-07-2004, 5:17 AM
Well it's a bug in terms of "I don't want it to do that" -- but yeah, it's not an error in terms of the game itself. It releases the Robe and the lightsaber, which immediately goes into general inventory. So I need to create a script that removes those items immediately after the "Trask Death Sequence."
 Airrazor
10-07-2004, 5:49 AM
naaah trask gets back behind masks in kotor 2 :D
 deathdisco
10-07-2004, 7:05 AM
The dialog is excellent. It flows well and adds much to the story.
Good Job!
 Grif Vindh
10-07-2004, 7:41 AM
Thank you. :) I have to say that working with dialog trees are insanely fun -- though also very frustrating. Trying to get the camera to point at the back of Trask's head in the final conversation was a pain in the neck... and there was no way I was going to even try to get a shot of his face. But I was able to figure it out.

The scripts, however, are a different story... I'm not much of a scripter. Took me all day yesterday just to figure out how to compile them properly. Since this morning I've been trying to figure out how to remove Trask's lightsaber and robe from the player inventory after the "death scene" ends -- doesn't make sense for him to strip down before going into certain death.

I came up with this:

void main() {
object oPC = GetFirstPC();
object oRobe = GetObjectByTag("g_a_kghtrobe01");
object oSaber = GetObjectByTag("g1_w_lghtsbr02");
ActionTakeItem(oRobe,oPC);
ActionTakeItem(oSaber,oPC);
}

It compiles properly... but will it work? Any of you scripters able to give me a few pointers?
 bneezy
10-07-2004, 9:22 AM
Great job! Your MOD is SEAMLESS. This will be in my Override for good. The dialog is high caliber as well. Loved it. Good work.
 UrchSr
10-07-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Airrazor

Darth Trask!! That always makes me laugh!!

Pretty cool mod, though. A high level wisdom on Taris would make it a little too easy. I'd hate to stun the Rancor. I'd like to take him down with a lightsaber, though. He's so much bigger than all the other rancors in the game. The monsters should get harder. I disliked that in the regular game. That makes for a good request... Hmm... I think I will.
 Airrazor
10-07-2004, 11:12 AM
there are some stronger sabers if that is what you are talking about....i myslef made 1 look under the Exar Kun topic there is the link to the site of it ;).....

but this isnt the topic about that so back on topic
 Achilles
10-07-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by UrchSr
The monsters should get harder. I disliked that in the regular game. That makes for a good request... Hmm... I think I will. Well technically they do, but the buffs are so minor in comparison to how your character progresses that it doesn't even matter. That's why I love the Hardcore mod. It actually took me about 10 tries to beat the Sith Master on Manaan the other night (btw, don't go to Manaan first when playing with the hardcore mod :eek:).

BTW, great job on the mod!
 Airrazor
10-07-2004, 11:16 AM
lol i tried that with the hardcore mod but 1 problem i got my ass kicked :D :D

Edit: Achilles read youre pm box
 Drog
10-07-2004, 1:28 PM
Sounds great i will download it ;)
 RedHawke
10-07-2004, 6:36 PM
Grif Vindh I just tried your mod out, and all I have to say is... very nicely done. :D

Originally posted by UrchSr
I'd hate to stun the Rancor. I'd like to take him down with a lightsaber, though. He's so much bigger than all the other rancors in the game.
Good luck on damaging the Taris Sewer Rancor with an energy weapon, his hide is 100% immune to energy and a couple of other things if I recall, frag grenades work pretty well though :D, and his claws are also insta-kill 100% chance of Death. :eek:
Originally posted by Achilles
That's why I love the Hardcore mod. It actually took me about 10 tries to beat the Sith Master on Manaan the other night (btw, don't go to Manaan first when playing with the hardcore mod :eek:).
Most definately... the Hardcore Mod Keeps you on your toes, especially on any module I make :D, it went into my override just after Talchia released it and it hasn't come out since! :)
 ChAiNz.2da
10-08-2004, 4:54 PM
I commented on this mod at pcgamemods, but it deserves it here as well. If anyone plays as a Jedi from the very beginning of the game, THIS is the mod to play!

Great induction right from the get-go and a much more plausible storyline (for being a jedi) than "We're being attacked, here's your stuff..now git!". And please, no offense by any means to other Padawan type mods, I just personally like more RP out of a game beginning sequence. That and now I won't feel half as ..ahem..guilty by gutting Bandon ;)

I much more felt as if (and treated) 'Trask' as a mentor rather than a 'meat-shield', plus the integration of the Jedi code was priceless. Kudos!

Definitely one of my favs....:clap2:

-ChAiNz-
 deathdisco
10-09-2004, 6:14 AM
It compiles properly... but will it work? Any of you scripters able to give me a few pointers?

You should D/L Darth333's "Party manager & spawning armband":
http://www.pcgamemods.com/7386/)
It has an option to test your custom scripts.

From the readme:
4. Test you scripts:
Paste your scripts in the following file: my_script.nss and compile. Note: make sure you are in the same module as where you expect the event to happen when you select this dialog option.

I've only dabbled in scripting but your script looks like it should work to me. The real trick is to find a good spot to fire it.
 Grif Vindh
10-09-2004, 7:09 AM
That could be it. The place where I told it to fire seems to be a bad choice -- it freezes the game completely.

Thanks for the comments everyone!
 Sgt. Strike
10-11-2004, 10:02 AM
Energy weapons don't work to well againgst the full grown rancors. But you can use all the various mines, except for the flash mines, against them. The following is a tactic I found to be useful, sorry I'm going to insert it as a spoiler. When you want to hit a rancor, without the scent, you should grab what's in the corpse pile, run back to the passageway, far enough to have your NPC's out of range of the rancor, and then go stealth, and plant mines between the rancor and the door. Then throw a grenade, I would recommend either a thermal detonator or plasma grenade, and then run back to the passage, and enjoy the explosions. Never, under any circumstances approach the rancor without stealth. And that should cover that part of the lesson. 'nuff said.
 Lorden Darkblade
10-11-2004, 10:51 AM
Very nice job :D :D
 PoM
10-12-2004, 9:59 AM
D'oh! This mod conflicts with svцsh's mods...Poor me.
 Grif Vindh
10-12-2004, 12:35 PM
What do svosh's mods do? Perhaps I can work around it.
 Raveth
10-12-2004, 1:07 PM
Originally posted by Airrazor

lol bandon slayed trask O_o
 ChAiNz.2da
10-12-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by TheKnife
D'oh! This mod conflicts with svцsh's mods...Poor me.

Hey, TheKnife and Grif. I had the same problem. What I had to do was edit the "end_trasc.utc" file so that the inventory and class matched both Grif's and svosh's mods.

The trick I had was that I had to edit svцsh's "end_trasc.utc" file, and change his class to match Grif's Guardian Jedi. When I tried it the other way around using Grif's file and edit the inventory to svцsh's...it didn't want to work... still trying to figure that one out :confused:

Either way, once I dropped the edited "trasc" file into Override, it worked :) (start a new game though)

P.S. be sure to backup each of Grif's and svцsh's "trasc" file, just in case.

I would send you (Grif and/or TheKnife) my edited file, but I don't know how that falls into the 'permission' rules. So to be safe I can't offer to do that unless I get Grif's and svцsh's permission, or the moderators here can clear that issue up for me. Since I did it for my system's compatibility and haven't released it to the public, I hope *gulp* I'm safe. But sharing it tends to fall into the "release" definition, at least in my mind.

Can anyone here (preferably the authors and/or moderators) clear this up? I'd like to help if I can without stepping on toes...

::EDIT::
In all my rambling I should say that after all is said and done, you'll need to drop EVERYTHING in Grif's mod and just the inventory items (uti, mdl, mdx, tga) etc. of svцsh's mod into your Override along with the edited "trasc" file...whew...
 Grif Vindh
10-13-2004, 3:28 AM
Well you have my permission to modify my mod as needed to make it compatible with other mods. :)
 PoM
10-13-2004, 6:38 AM
If you get permission by svцsh too, i want the file.
Look for my e-mail in my profile
 ChAiNz.2da
10-13-2004, 2:05 PM
TheKnife and Raveth, please check your PM's. The email function doesn't seem to either work or has been disabled in the profile area. I've provided you a direct download link (from my site, 'JumpStationZ') just in case you don't recognize where it's coming from. Let me know (PM's please) how the file worked out.

And to both Grif and svцsh, thanks for giving me the permission to help out with your mods' compatibilty. BOTH of them are excellent (I use them myself afterall ;) ) and I'd hate for anyone to miss out on either!

::Note To All::
This fix is NOT 'publicly' linked on my site, so it's nowhere to be found. Please don't go 'headhunting' for it. Grif and svцsh were nice enough to allow me to provide the fix, which is easy enough to do, but I don't want to abuse that permission. I can provide a link to it if you PM me, or if the moderators will allow, I'll display the link publicly.

The file DOES contain both of the readme's for the mods, and FULL credit to both authors. I think they both deserve our Kudos for their work.
 svцsh
10-13-2004, 2:35 PM
Thanks for doing this ChAiNz it makes this easier for everyone :)

svцsh
 ChAiNz.2da
10-13-2004, 2:48 PM
Originally posted by svцsh
Thanks for doing this ChAiNz it makes this easier for everyone :)

svцsh

Definitely my pleasure. I've received so much help here it's only fitting (and rather fulfilling) to be able to give something back to the community. By far my favorite forum on the Net....well other than the fact I get no sleep now...

I noticed the NEW force implant on your site, can't wait to try it out! :D

:comp9: Back to work on my NEXT mod now...who'd have known modding could be so addictive
 Darth333
10-13-2004, 5:40 PM
Originally posted by ChAiNz
Definitely my pleasure. I've received so much help here it's only fitting (and rather fulfilling) to be able to give something back to the community. By far my favorite forum on the Net....well other than the fact I get no sleep now...
Thanks for helping out making mods compatible :)

:comp9: Back to work on my NEXT mod now...who'd have known modding could be so addictive
Join the club! :D and welcome to the Darksid...erm...forums.
 Nowhere Man
04-06-2005, 3:49 PM
I'm a total newcomer to the modding community, so I don't know the first thing about how to fix this myself.

I downloaded your mod, and it's fantastic. I mean, really really awesome. However, I've run into a bit of a problem, and I'm not sure if it's a bug in the mod or what.

When I'm playing the game, every three minutes or so, the game minimizes for no readily apparent reason and goes back to the desktop. It doesn't crash or ruin the game as far as I can tell, but it's happening enough (5 times on the Endar Spire alone) to become a major annoyance. I also installed the Revan's Mask/Robe mod, so it might be something with that.

Anyone else run into this problem, or know a way to stop it?

But yeah, other than that, absolutely stellar mod.

:lsduel:
 TKATK
04-06-2005, 3:56 PM
It sounds like a problem with another program interferring,drawing attention

to prove it i suggets you do the following

1)restart comp
2)If it doesnt stop,try renaming override and checking if it still happens
3)If it doesnt stop,try out other games,do they run fine
4)If it doesnt stop,get rid of the attention hog-ish program
 Darth333
04-06-2005, 3:58 PM
Welcome to the forums Nowhere Man :)

I have never seen a mod create such problem :confused: and I don't see any incompatibility between the two mods you are using. Most likely it is something else :confused:

Did you made any changes to your settings lately? Also make sure you don't have another application running in the background.
 Nowhere Man
04-06-2005, 4:00 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'll restart and see what happens.
 ChAiNz.2da
04-06-2005, 4:12 PM
Hey Nowhere Man!

Welcome to the forums! :D

Related to what TKATK was saying... do you happen to have a messanging program open? ie - AIM, Yahoo Messenger, etc.

Problems similiar to this seem to happen if perchance someone on your buddy list logs on and the prog is trying to alert you...

It can also happen if some other program is trying to "alert" you to a problem. Programs that like to remind you it's time to update, virus scanners, or even some crappy spyware/adware that is trying to retrieve a new batch of ads to annoy the hell out of you...

Try scanning the system for those, and check on whether or not some of the "background" programs aren't trying to update or alert you to something... :)
 Nowhere Man
04-06-2005, 4:17 PM
Well, re-starting my computer didn't do anything.

I didn't have any other programs running- at least, none that I was aware of. It may be spyware of some kind, but this was never a problem before. The game ran perfectly fine without the mods.

Then again, my idiot roommate was installing all sorts of crap that had Spyware on it yesterday, and I hadn't played the game again till today, so maybe something got installed without my knowing. Remind me to kick his ass later.

EDIT: Found out what the problem was. My roommate had accidentally downloaded some spyware and my PestPatrol kept alerting me about it. Thanks for the help, everyone, and now it's back to enjoying this awesome mod.
 pokejedi123
09-07-2005, 6:04 AM
:duel: when i downloaded it i thouth good of it but when i starded new it was tottaly slow my game i use a xp home and computer is fujitsu siements
 Darth333
09-07-2005, 11:16 AM
If you experienced a slow down, it is definitely not caused by this mod.

It's possibly your computer specs (having your specs would help) or some application running in the back. If you need technical assistance, please post in the workbench: http://lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=554) ;)
 pokejedi123
09-08-2005, 1:57 AM
oh i had to do only a restarts srry
for distrubing
 james975
09-28-2005, 11:37 PM
What happened to this mod? I can't download it from anywhere....
 RedHawke
09-29-2005, 12:27 AM
What happened to this mod? I can't download it from anywhere....
:eyeraise: Er... ok... http://www.pcgamemods.com/mod/7808.html)

:D
 james975
09-29-2005, 1:58 PM
Thanks a lot. For some reason, the URL at the top of the 1st page didn't work for me.
 RedHawke
09-30-2005, 1:31 AM
Thanks a lot. For some reason, the URL at the top of the 1st page didn't work for me.
Simple... Grif hasn't been around to update the link. Since PCGameMods upgraded all the links changed, and as such for these older mods whom the modders are MIA the links may seem broken, because of this the PCGameMods search function has become your most valuable freind. ;)
 Knickalen
08-07-2007, 4:25 AM
Is this mod located anywhere else? Given the demise of PCGameMods... If someone could send it to me I'd be very happy with them. Maybe a party, parade...or just many words of praise...

I'm not sure this is even the most ideal place to make the inquiry. But the mods creator has not been around in quite a while, so PMing them seemed somewhat pointless...
 ChAiNz.2da
08-07-2007, 8:51 AM
Is this mod located anywhere else? Given the demise of PCGameMods... If someone could send it to me I'd be very happy with them. Maybe a party, parade...or just many words of praise...

I'm not sure this is even the most ideal place to make the inquiry. But the mods creator has not been around in quite a while, so PMing them seemed somewhat pointless...

We have it featured over at SWK. You can grab it here about 3/4 scroll down the page. I've also updated the first post of the thread with the new link :)

http://www.starwarsknights.com/kotor1mods.php)
 Knickalen
08-07-2007, 6:00 PM
Many Many Thanks :)
 moiraesfate
04-23-2008, 3:55 PM
Except that the SWK link doesn't work now and I'd love to have this mod. Anyone else have it anywhere?
 Achilles
04-23-2008, 7:36 PM
Works fine for me. Are you not able to get to the SWK download page or does the download link not work for you once you get there?
 Revan.Ragnos.85
05-06-2008, 2:08 PM
The download link at SWK doesn't work for me either. Please help, I really want this mod!
 Darth Payne
05-06-2008, 2:13 PM
I have it.

Anyone that wants it can PM me their email and i'll send it to you as soon as i can.
Page: 1 of 2