Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Star Wars DVD Replacement Plan (read here if having problems)

Page: 1 of 1
 Kurgan
10-02-2004, 4:35 AM
http://digitalbits.com/index.html#real)

Digitalbits.com reports that:

While we're on the subject of the Star Wars DVDs, we've been getting many, many questions and complaints about the audio changes and "music issues" on A New Hope. All we can tell you is that Lucasfilm claims the audio on the disc is exactly as they intended it to be. HOWEVER, we are also getting a lot of complaints from readers who have been experiencing a disc playback problem with A New Hope. Apparently, on many players, the disc freezes for a few seconds (we suspect near the layer switch point) and then skips ahead several minutes. Fox Customer Service is taking the names and addresses of people who are experiencing this problem so they can arrange to send you a fixed replacement disc. You can call them at 888-223-2FOX. Again, this addresses the freezing problem only. This is not a replacement for any sound issues. Just FYI.

Hope this is helpful to people. I'm considering doing it myself as I've noticed some odd glitches on my disc (I just assumed it was a PowerDVD issue, now I'm convinced it's not just me).

In a somewhat related vein, here's an chat transcript with the guy responsible for the DVD set:

http://discuss.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/zforum/04/entertainment_ling092104.htm)
 Astrotoy7
10-02-2004, 6:16 AM
the only glitch I've noticed is greedo still doesnt shoot first, and sebastian shaw's ghost looks all slim and handsome all of a sudden !!!

...kidding.....kidding... :p

I havent had any glitchy things yet, but I havent watched the movies from start to finish either :(

mtfbwya
 Kurgan
10-02-2004, 7:14 AM
All kidding aside...

Let's not waste space arguing about SFX gaffes or poorly chosen story changes (in our humble fan opinions of course!), rather this is for TECHNICAL PROBLEMS or physical defects in the discs themselves.

If Fox is willing to provide a free replacement (minus postage perhaps though I would think they ought to take care of this is they don't want to piss off fans) then why not take advantage?
 Thrawn42689
10-02-2004, 9:14 AM
My disc is shaped like a square for some reason...it doesn't fit in my player.

Sorry. >.<
 andargor
10-06-2004, 9:13 AM
Funny, I get freezing in TESB and RoTJ only. And if I fast forward or pause, it freezes, but I can get to the menu nevertheless.

I was thinking that I would go back to the store where I purchased the DVDs, but are you saying that the whole current production batch is bad?

Andargor
 Kurgan
10-07-2004, 4:08 AM
Could very well be. Especially if you're playing these DVD's on a stand-alone player.

On my pc, some of the newer DVD's I bought have skipping and freezing problems, but it was due to the fact that my DVD-ROM drive didn't have DMA enabled. I couldn't (in fact) enable DMA, because my motherboard bios was set wrong (somehow it reset itself while my computer was off for a few days). So after I fixed the bios settings (thought I was going to have to update the bios ROM, but I didn't have to ultimately) I could re-enable DMA and no more skipping.

But the Star Wars discs thing is a known issue with ANH, dunno about the others. So if you think you have the problem, take advantage...
 guybroom
10-12-2004, 11:29 AM
[PHP]So if you think you have the problem, take advantage...

Are you alowed to say that? Surly they are going to arrest you for that, for fraud or something.

But also. I'm considering buying the DVDs (even with the changes *shakes fish at Lucas*) so would it be better to wait a bit?
 Kurgan
10-14-2004, 5:47 PM
Originally posted by guybroom
Are you alowed to say that? Surly they are going to arrest you for that, for fraud or something.

But also. I'm considering buying the DVDs (even with the changes *shakes fish at Lucas*) so would it be better to wait a bit?

What do you mean? If you have a defective DVD and Fox IS offering to replace it, why should you NOT take advantage?

Unless you are happy with a defective product, then by all means, keep it and keep quiet. I guess...

I don't imagine I'd be arrested for reporting something Fox has already told the public.

As far as waiting for a new version to come out, rumor has it (from the Lowry Digital interview recently posted and a few fan sites like digitalbits) that the "next release" will be on a next generation format (HD-DVD or Blu-Ray disc) in time for the 2007 30th Anniversary of Star Wars.

Then there are these rumors that this is a "Limited Edition" that will stop production by the end of this year.

So for now, all rumors point to this being your last chance to officially own the classic trilogy (albeit in modern modified form) on DVD format.

Not that I would worry too much, there's still people selling the old laserdisks and vhs tapes on ebay, so you might be able to wait a bit if you want to, just that it might be tricker to get them than just walking over to your local media store.
 Pho3nix
11-16-2004, 2:43 AM
Well it doesn't really matter what kind of "flaws" and "mistakes" that are in the DvD release. Cuz i think GL will fix all of those issues to the 2007 Ultra Edition of Star Wars.
 Kurgan
11-16-2004, 12:07 PM
Hello! It matters to anyone that spent money on this version!

That's like saying "oh, don't worry about buggy software, a new version will be released in a few years that's better."

With that attitude we can just wait forever and any mistakes made in any product can be excused because something better will eventually come along.

Puh-leez!

Sides, the company is offering to remedy at least one of the flaws (free of charge), so refusing to take advantage of it is foolish. But if people prefer to waste their time and money, that's their business.
 Samnmax221
12-08-2004, 3:45 PM
When Luke is practicing against the remote in ANH the Lightsaber looks green
 Kurgan
12-09-2004, 7:52 AM
Yes, and unfortunately, Lowry Digital, Fox and Lucas himself have said nothing about fixing that. So you're out of luck until a new version comes out or they change their minds!

As far as I know they haven't even commented on the saber color weirdness. They have only claimed that the sound changes were "a creative decisions" *cough*

The "fixes" are limited to discs freezing and skipping scenes or otherwise physically damaged (scratches, broken discs, etc).
 Samnmax221
12-16-2004, 10:28 AM
Well that sucks soem seiruios ( I don't care how it's spelled) ^#$^#!!
 Kurgan
04-17-2005, 3:52 PM
Well the "limited release" thing turned out to be false, at least here in the US, I see still abundant copies of the Trilogy on store shelves. Some sites were speculating that LucasFilm was actually going to pull overstock from shelves after the first of the year (2005), didn't happen (that would have been stupid anyway).

And no announcements about a new release. They are apparently re-releasing the TPM and AOTC DVD's in time for ROTS hype, but they're 100% identical, nothing changed from the previous one. They just want to be sure that stores are stocking them in anticipation of the ROTS hype sweeps.

I've also heard rumors of a prequel boxed set this November or December, but I imagine it'll just be a big cardboard box housing the two previously available prequel cases and the new ROTS one (which should come out in November, if it follows the same schedule that AOTC did). Lots of companies do that with their boxed sets (look at Paramounts various Trek movie collections and the LOTR sets).
 Samnmax221
07-11-2005, 12:55 PM
Well the only thing we can hope for is that maybe a few years down the road they'll release all the movies in a boxed set with all this crap fixed. I also wasn't impressed with the bonus features that were included. I meen come on the AOTC DVD has about the same amount of special features as the bonus disc that was included with the classic trilogy.
 Kurgan
11-10-2005, 2:58 AM
Well, more rumors have been squashed. A "limited edition" OT set is set for release on December 6, 2005. It is IDENTICAL to the previously released OT box set (in two flavors, as usual.. widescreen & pan 'n' scan) except for different cover art (the movie posters, just like on the discs themselves) and NO bonus disc. Nothing has changed, so don't expect any of the glitches of the previous DVD's to be fixed. It should be selling to the Christmas crowd alongside the previous boxed set...

NO plans have been announced for any prequel box sets. And speculation that Lucas is going to re-release TPM with a CGI Yoda are still just that, rumors (and rumors that CG Yoda would be put into the OT has been explicitly denied, with the word "never"!). Lucas still insists that he will not release the non-SE's on DVD.

I assume as long as the OT box set continues to be sold, they'll honor the replacement plan, if your product has the defects.
 arkodeon
01-28-2006, 12:38 PM
I did have this trouble, my DVDs wouldn't play back. I tried on multiple, and I mean MANY DVDs, but they wouldn't work.

Then I put it into Playstation 2... XDDD

It worked. Go figure. <33 Sony.
 Kurgan
09-12-2006, 2:19 PM
Well, since it's been two years and the new set has just come out, I think I'll unsticky this. If you have problems, and can't get it resolved through the store, call Fox Customer Service at 888-223-2FOX.

And 1-800-Phone-THX ;)
Page: 1 of 1