Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

XW95, TIE95, XvT and XP Service Pack 2

Page: 1 of 1
 Wildstar
10-01-2004, 9:25 AM
It has come to my attention that X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter and the Windows versions of X-Wing and TIE Fighter may not be able to install on some installations of Windows XP Service Pack 2, as the installation will generate the following error:

16 Bit Windows Subsystem

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

The reason for this error is that the AUTOEXEC.NT file appears to be missing. This error affects new systems with XP SP2 as the included operating system as well as retail versions of Windows XP that include SP2. To fix it, you may find the above file in the Windows\Repair folder; just copy it to the Windows\system32 file. Upgrade installations of SP2 left the file alone; those users need not do anything.
 Cwagle the Jedi
10-02-2004, 4:09 PM
I thought I would confirm a few things.

My Compatibility Fix is fully compatible with Windows XP SP2 and has nothing to do with this problem as a few people have asked me about this.

The cause of the 16 Bit Windows Subsystem problem is that the Version of the InstallShield installer used to install X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter and the Windows versions of X-Wing and TIE Fighter uses 16-bit code to start the installer then changes to 32-bit code once the installer is loaded. It is the 16-bit code that causes the error if the Autoexec.nt and/or Config.nt files can't be found.

Seeing as this is more than an isolated problem, would people like me to add generic copies of to the fix to help out Windows XP SP2 users?

Any suggestions would be welcome.
 Nairb Notneb
12-16-2004, 7:45 AM
I suggest doing what is needed to fix the problem. I haven't upgraded by gaming computer to XP yet so I don't have the problem, but I soon will be. Will there be any problems then?
 Wildstar
12-16-2004, 9:13 AM
Nairb

I think most of it will depend on your hardware and the games you have. XvT should run fine on all XP configurations (w/ the note above about installation) and XW95 and TIE95 need the Compatibility Fix found on LucasFiles.com in order to run w/ hardware 3D acceleration enabled. XWA should run fine on XP, but if you have an nVidia graphics card, you should get the fonts fix that is also posted on LucasFiles.com, especially if you run XWA at high resolutions.
 Nairb Notneb
12-17-2004, 7:59 AM
I hadn't played it in a while, but was planning on it. I've played out my other games and was going to revive some others. I was going to upgrade my OS and wanted to make sure it wouldn't ruin my older games. Thanx for the info.
Page: 1 of 1