Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Bless all souls running pure servers

Page: 1 of 1
 Willybone
10-01-2004, 6:57 AM
Seriously. You guys rock.
It's so nice to go someplace where my un-modded self can find a fair fight. There's too few of you, so I wanted to encourage you to keep up the purist work.
 Nokill
10-01-2004, 6:59 AM
same whit me ;)
JA+ is not that nice btw :p
 Prime
10-01-2004, 10:29 AM
I concur completely. Too rare indeed.
 Neverhoodian
10-01-2004, 12:05 PM
Yeah, game mods are a double-edged sword. The good thing about them are that it can give an aging game a new lease on life by introducing something new and innovative to the game, thereby sparking a renewed interest in playing said game.

However, mods can also be problematic. I had to recently reinstall JA because of interference with mods. For one thing, the sky box wouldn't show up. Also, I had so many extra files that tied up resources that the game's performance started to suffer. I found myself lowering the video settings to just about as low as they could go and still experiencing unacceptable amounts of lag.

My experience with Wolfenstein: ET mods was even worse. Not only was the game slow, but it wasn't even working properly. Sometimes an "illegal operation" error would randomly appear and the game would crash. Other times, it would crash and bring up my internet browser whenever there was a file the server used that I didn't have. It would even crash sometimes when I tried to vote in the game. After putting up with this for quite some time, my frustration had nearly reached Biblical proportions. Filled with a righteous rage, I uninstalled the game and deleted every single extra file that was even remotely related to the game.

After reinstalling both games, things are working fine now. Since then, I've taken a more cautious approach at mods. I'll only keep them in the game files when I want to play them, and I only download a fraction of the files than I used to do. Kudos to pure servers-they keep life simple for us gamers!
 Amidala from Chop Shop
10-01-2004, 2:16 PM
Just to clarify, there is a difference between "pure\unpure" and "basejka\modded". You can have a basejka server that is either pure or unpure, and a modded (such as JA+ mod) server that is either pure or unpure.

My JA CTF server is "basejka" and "unpure". My JK2 instagib server is running a mod (Disruption) but is "pure".

"Pure" just means any .pk3 file that the client is using (including the assets files and a model or skin that the player is using) must exactly match the file of the same name on the server. It is designed to prevent players from "hacking" their game (assets) files to cheat. Mostly, it just forces players to not use any custom skins or models they have, unless the exact same file has been placed on the server.
 TK-8252
10-01-2004, 3:59 PM
I really don't see the point of setting pure (as in no custom skins, sounds, etc.) servers. I'm pretty sure that there is no way to "cheat" with .pk3 files. Are there even any "cheats" or "hacks" in JA? I've heard rumors about wallhacks and aimbots in MBII and instagib servers, but that's it...
 iamtrip
10-02-2004, 6:04 AM
Yes, what amidala said.

Pure stops some hacks in the form of assets.
But even with a basic ogl hack, whether the server is running pure or not becomes irrelevant.
 razorace
10-02-2004, 10:10 AM
Well, the problem is that the "pure" hack check is pretty easy to get around with a program that simply changes the CRC of your files.
 Lightning
10-03-2004, 4:27 AM
Originally posted by razorace
Well, the problem is that the "pure" hack check is pretty easy to get around with a program that simply changes the CRC of your files.

So theres not really a good reson to set your server on pure? :confused:
 iamtrip
10-03-2004, 9:04 AM
I stops retards from hacking (ie. most of the people who play JA (***NOT INCLUDING anyone who reads this thread***), but not anyone who is determined.
 razorace
10-03-2004, 8:51 PM
Originally posted by Lightning
So theres not really a good reson to set your server on pure? :confused:

Well, it's nice for client/server mods where you want to force the players to download the mod.
 Willybone
10-04-2004, 7:31 AM
While it may not stop a truly determined hacker/cheater, at least on unmodded servers, I find the playing field to be consistently level. And if someone did hack themselves some extra powers, I'd feel justified in complaining or leaving the game.
I just like playing the game the way it was originally written.
Page: 1 of 1