Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise

Page: 1 of 5
 Prime
09-26-2004, 5:34 PM
One thing I love about Star Wars is stormtroopers, regardless of whether they can hit anything or not. When I first saw bneezy's screenshots of a stormtrooper model in KOTOR, I was excited. Unfortunately, it is illegal to port assets from one Star Wars game to another. Since the model from those original screenshots was from Jedi Academy, that ment that the mod could not be released.

However, Hapslash had made an superior stormtrooper model for Jedi Academy, and thankfully he has given permission for others to use it. bneezy has been kind enough to port the custom helmet into KOTOR. To avoid legal issues, I decided to make a custom skin that could be included with the helmet and released to the community.

There is still a little bit of tweeking to do, but his a shot of the helmet:

http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/screenshots/helmetshot.jpg)

Originally, the idea was just to port the helmet. But I think the mod would be better if it had actual armour to go with it. To that end I have decided to skin stormtrooper armour from one of the KOTOR armour models.

Thanks again to Hapslash for the model and to bneezy for porting it. In the end, I hope we can release both player armour and a Sith Trooper replacement.
 Xavier2
09-26-2004, 5:51 PM
One word. Perfect!!!!!!Is there a chance we can see a Clone trooper version?

Xavier2
 Xavier2
09-26-2004, 5:58 PM
Originally posted by Prime
Unfortunately, it is illegal to port assets from one Star Wars game to another. Since the model from those original screenshots was from Jedi Academy, that ment that the mod could not be released.

To avoid legal issues, I decided to make a custom skin that could be included with the helmet and released to the community.
Since you raised this subject. Do you think it'd be ilegal to use characters and/or portraits from Star Wars movies?

Xavier2
 Mav
09-26-2004, 6:10 PM
:D I can't wait Prime
 DarthBuzzard
09-26-2004, 6:11 PM
I wouild belive so Xavier, but the person to ask is Mrs. Pianist turned Lawer (Darth333). She knows all the legal stuff :D

And wow Prime! I eagerly await the day it's released :D
 Prime
09-26-2004, 6:50 PM
Thanks guys. :)

Originally posted by Xavier2
Is there a chance we can see a Clone trooper version? I'm not thinking about doing that right now, really. I suppose I will have to see how I feel after I am finished this mod. It also depends if a clonetrooper model's original author agreed to allow us to use it, and if bneezy would be willing to port it.

Right now, I'd say probably not.

Do you think it'd be ilegal to use characters and/or portraits from Star Wars movies? Well, modding KOTOR is technically illegal, but it is tolerated. I think if a mod was made to recreate SW characters, that would be tolerated as well.

OK, I'm trying to decide which armour model to use as a base, and I need some opinions. First, here is an example of stormtrooper armour:

http://www.ga501st.com/ArmorTips/armor/Stormtrooper/StormTrooper2.jpg)

Now, here are the two base armours I'm thinking of using:

http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/screenshots/armour8001.jpg) http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/screenshots/armour9001.jpg)

For the one on the left, the pros are that the wrists are better, and the overall armour is less bulky, like the stormtrooper. The con is that there are pockets that extand out from the front of the chest.

For the one on the right, the pros are that it is easier to skin because a lot of armour is in the right places already, and so the model is shaped a bit better. The cons is that the forearms aren't quite right, and it is bulkier.

What do you guys think would be best?
 DarthBuzzard
09-26-2004, 7:00 PM
The one on the right. Definentally. It would skin a much better Stormtrooper. On the left, a lot of the textures are weirdly placed for trooper armor.

Think how nice this is gonna go with orsans E-11...
 stingerhs
09-26-2004, 7:02 PM
For the one on the left, the pros are that the wrists are better, and the overall armour is less bulky, like the stormtrooper. The con is that there are pockets that extand out from the front of the chest.

For the one on the right, the pros are that it is easier to skin because a lot of armour is in the right places already, and so the model is shaped a bit better. The cons is that the forearms aren't quite right, and it is bulkier.

What do you guys think would be best?

well, the one on with the pockets can be fixed so that they're flat. for info on that, check out svosh's 3d modeling tips. he actually did exactly what your talking about. i think that xavier2 did the same thing for his boba fett armor. so, that would be my opinion, although it would be more work. so, good luck!! :D :D
 jedi_5002
09-26-2004, 7:08 PM
I choose option 3: Have you make your own, correct stormtrooper armor. But since that is not very likely...

I choose the second one (based on the special Cassus (sp?) Fett armor, if I am not mistaken (or the regular)). After looking at the picture of a stormtrooper you provided, it seems to fit better to me. The image with the pockets doesn't look restrictive to movement enough, but the other does. If you were to color the arm sleeves (the green-ish parts) and the hands to look more like the stromtrooper's (for the image on the right), then it would be even better.

Just my 25ў.

:fett:
 Achilles
09-26-2004, 7:13 PM
Gotta go with the one on the right. :trooper: :trooper: :trooper:
 Xavier2
09-26-2004, 7:27 PM
Originally posted by stingerhs
well, the one on with the pockets can be fixed so that they're flat. for info on that, check out svosh's 3d modeling tips. he actually did exactly what your talking about. i think that xavier2 did the same thing for his boba fett armor. so, that would be my opinion, although it would be more work. so, good luck!! :D :D
Thats correct. Svosh proved its possible with a medium armor and i made the same with the soldier clothes. I was able to do it with pockets and the strap linking the chest and the backpack.

My vote is for the class9 armor. Although its bulkier, it fits better with the helmet size.

An idea mono_giganto gave to my Boba Fett helmet was to scale down the helmet, give it a disguise property, create it as a new head and replace the head of the character.

Xavier2
 Prime
09-26-2004, 8:12 PM
Thanks for the opinions, fellas.

Originally posted by DarthBuzzard
Think how nice this is gonna go with orsans E-11... Do you have a link for that? I might ask if I can use it as part of the mod.
 RedHawke
09-26-2004, 8:38 PM
Originally posted by Achilles
Gotta go with the one on the right. :trooper: :trooper: :trooper:

Ditto! :D
 DarthBuzzard
09-26-2004, 8:52 PM
http://kotormods.t-k.ru/) - used to be on the front page; I've tried to go exploring in there, can't find it, and here the search is disabled :mad: . Good luck finding it.

:Edit" Ta-da! http://kotormods.t-k.ru/mods/e-11.htm) Click the hammer thing and stick it in override. bingo. :cool:
 Prime
09-26-2004, 8:54 PM
Never mind. I seem to have found it buried away on my harddrive. :)
 DarthBuzzard
09-26-2004, 8:57 PM
Dang! All that trouble I went through to find it on Orsan's webby...

Well good luck Prime...can't wait to see it all finished ;)
 Mav
09-27-2004, 12:00 AM
I'd say the one on the right
 bneezy
09-27-2004, 4:38 AM
That is better than anyone could have hoped! The one on the right. Great job.

I didn't know Stormtroopers were so sassy (http://www.ga501st.com/ArmorTips/armor/Stormtrooper/StormTrooper2.jpg). That's definitely not the position of attention.
 Prime
09-27-2004, 6:57 AM
Originally posted by bneezy
That is better than anyone could have hoped! The one on the right. Great job. Thanks man.

Okay, it looks like the consensis is the one on the right. I'll go with that. :)
 stormturmoil
09-27-2004, 9:27 AM
just incidentally, has anyone been planning to do the Scout trooper armour ( for which the one on the left would be better, I think)
 stingerhs
09-27-2004, 9:32 AM
Thanks man.

Okay, it looks like the consensis is the one on the right. I'll go with that. :)

best of luck to ya!! :D
 shosey
09-27-2004, 9:36 AM
this is great, I can't wait to see how it turns out!
 Colma Adawin
09-27-2004, 10:53 AM
Since you raised this subject. Do you think it'd be ilegal to use characters and/or portraits from Star Wars movies?

Xavier2

well i would see it as no, becoz we use Lightsabres, the Force, DS and LS, even Sith Lords names, eg

Marka Ragnos - used in Jedi Academy

so i would say that, but hey what do i know? DONT ANSWER THAT :p

MattCole

PS BLOODLY AMAZING STUFF PRIME!!!! :D:cool:
 Xavier2
09-27-2004, 11:38 AM
I just bought the Star Wars trilogy DVD. Now, due to Prime, we'll be able to immerse into the old adventure and beat the crap out of the stormtroopers. Great job man!!!

Xavier2
 Lorden Darkblade
09-27-2004, 12:20 PM
Great work Prime :)
I cant wait to see those in game ;)
And with the old trilogy in DVD it makes it even better :D
 Prime
09-27-2004, 12:52 PM
Now, due to Prime, we'll be able to immerse into the old adventure and beat the crap out of the stormtroopers. Great job man!!! Thanks, but of course it isn't just me. Without Hapslash and bneezy this wouldn't be happening. :)
 Doom_Dealer
09-27-2004, 1:17 PM
well, im not posting on the forum much anymore, but i thought id crawl out of my dark lil corner for this. This looks fantastic! Im getting there with some models, already have a pistol and a few grenades ready for testing when i can get the game working again (long story). Wahoo, does the mod include a skill which means you cant hit a barn door with a nuclear warhead aswell???
 Xavier2
09-27-2004, 1:31 PM
Thanks, but of course it isn't just me. Without Hapslash and bneezy this wouldn't be happening. :)
Good point.

Due to Hapslash, Bneezy and Prime, we can beat the crap out of the stormtroopers.

Wish i had the time to take my Luke Skywalker outfits mod:( . But i want to finish my clone wars stuff first.

Xavier2:lsduel:
 Prime
09-27-2004, 1:40 PM
Originally posted by Doom_Dealer
Wahoo, does the mod include a skill which means you cant hit a barn door with a nuclear warhead aswell??? I'm thinking of having a negative "to hit" modifier. :)
 bneezy
09-27-2004, 6:35 PM
Originally posted by Prime I'm thinking of having a negative "to hit" modifier. :)
LOL! Yeah, that would be realistic.
 Prime
09-27-2004, 8:24 PM
I've done a bit of work on the basic stormtrooper suit. It is still really rough right now, and there is almost no detail added to the armour. But this screenshot should give an idea of what it will basically look like:

http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/screenshots/storm1.jpg)

There are still a lot of tweeks to do and detail to add. There are several parts of the suit that don't really line up with the proper features as well as I'd like. Hopefully the flaws won't be too distracting from the overall look. Since I intend it to be a Sith Trooper replacement, in most cases the skin will be seen from a bit of a distance which will help hide the weaker parts.
 Achilles
09-27-2004, 8:27 PM
Oh my goodness....that's amazing.
*Wonders how many people will not be giving the disguise to Gadon on Taris*
 RedHawke
09-27-2004, 9:01 PM
That is awesome Prime! :D

:drop2:
 Airrazor
09-28-2004, 5:45 AM
OMFG :drop2::drop2::drop2::drop2:
 Darth333
09-28-2004, 5:57 AM
Looks pretty good! Awesome work :)
 bneezy
09-28-2004, 5:57 AM
Originally posted by Airrazor
That pretty much sums it up for me. WOW!
 MTV2
09-28-2004, 6:55 AM
That is pretty awsome Prime, I can't wait:D
 FunSolo
09-28-2004, 7:52 AM
is it the light ingame? or is it another (or darker) white on the helmet? :confused:

it looks great but i cant figure out where the difference of the colors come from
 Prime
09-28-2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by FunSolo
is it the light ingame? or is it another (or darker) white on the helmet? :confused: Basically, the armour has the "metallic" property on it left over from the original armour. The helmet does not, and that is why it isn't shiny. There still is some tweeking to do to try and get the "whiteness" as close as possible between the armour and helmet.
 Lorden Darkblade
09-28-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Airrazor

Nothing more to add :D :D :cool: :cool:
 FunSolo
09-28-2004, 10:56 AM
Basically, the armour has the "metallic" property on it left over from the original armour. The helmet does not, and that is why it isn't shiny. There still is some tweeking to do to try and get the "whiteness" as close as possible between the armour and helmet.

well, sounds good, but i hope your able to release it soon :D
 stingerhs
09-28-2004, 11:17 AM
oh heck ya!!! excellent work prime!!!
 Darth_ToMeR
09-28-2004, 11:37 AM
Best!!!
 Hybris
09-28-2004, 3:31 PM
Holy Mother of Yoda! If thats what you call rough then the fine version will be a dream. I love it and I await it to be done.

:trooper: "I can't see anything out of this thing." ~Luke Skywalker Star Wars Ep 4
 Mono_Giganto
09-28-2004, 5:43 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

That is friggin' awesome Prime, very nice job. :)
 Mono_Giganto
09-28-2004, 5:43 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

That is friggin' awesome Prime, very nice job. :)
 Buffy
09-28-2004, 5:51 PM
100% Top model really nice cant wait !
thank you also could you make Darth Vader Model too ?
I know you can make real Looks Darth Vader too .. ;) :amidala: :lsduel:
thank you
 Prime
09-28-2004, 8:20 PM
The skin is coming a long pretty well, and I have most of the rough details finished. Now it is main just neatening everything and polishing things up. In the mean time, here are some screenshots. Unfortumately, most the details are sutle and not all that clear from these shots.

http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/screenshots/storm2.jpg)

http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/screenshots/storm3.jpg)

After the skin is done, I'll ask bneezy to set it up so that the Sith troopers are replaced. Also, I have a couple questions if anyone cares to answer.

1. Is there a way to prevent an NPC from switching to "melee mode?" I don't really want to have my stormtroopers with swords when you attack up close. Is there a way to force them to always use blasters?

2. Would it be best to disable the metallic quality of the armour? Stormtrooper armour seems more ceramic, which is less shiny. This would also make it similar to the helmet. But I do like the shininess also.
 Achilles
09-28-2004, 8:39 PM
Also, I have a couple questions if anyone cares to answer.

1. Is there a way to prevent an NPC from switching to "melee mode?" I don't really want to have my stormtroopers with swords when you attack up close. Is there a way to force them to always use blasters?

2. Would it be best to disable the metallic quality of the armour? Stormtrooper armour seems more ceramic, which is less shiny. This would also make it similar to the helmet. But I do like the shininess also. The simple answer to #1 is take their Vibro-blades away. Editing the utc's might be cumbersome, but I bet one of the talented scripter in this forum could write a remove item script that could fire in each area where there are attackable sith troopers.

As for #2 I kinda like the shiny :D
 Xavier2
09-28-2004, 8:46 PM
First of all its a perfect job!

Second of all i think that every sith soldier, although based in the same model is a unique character in the module, so i guess it would require some major change to unable the melle ability from all of them. Maybe one of the .2da files contains this property.

2. Would it be best to disable the metallic quality of the armour? Stormtrooper armour seems more ceramic, which is less shiny. This would also make it similar to the helmet. But I do like the shininess also.

I think you should try other effects, like envmaptexture Gunmetal or envmaptexture CM_Specmap and see what fits better to emulate the plastic glow of stormtroopers armor. I mentioned this in our last PM.

Hope i have colaborated.

Xavier2
Page: 1 of 5