Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Text problem when using hardware acceleration

Page: 1 of 1
 Ingo Monk
08-20-2004, 6:23 AM
Hi, I'm new to the forums ;)

Anyway, decided to dust off my XWing Alliance and try it on my newer machine. I have an AMD 2500+, 1GB RAM, GeForce FX5900 (128MB)

When I run the game in software more I can read the text in the HUD fine. When I enable hardware acceleration, the text becomes really small and garbled. I can barely make it out. I've tried changing the resolution in the video options but it doesn't seeom to do anything. Everything else looks great with hardware accel, just can't read the text. I've just installed nVidia's latest drivers and it didn't change a thing. I also have XWA at version 2.02 so it should be fully up-to-date.

Is there anything I can do to fix this text problem? I remember when I played Freelancer on this setup I had a problem with the ingame text and menus. Something to do with the fact that the game didn't know what video card I had or something. Went to the Microsoft tech support forums and got some help but it didn't fix anything either.

In any case, can anyone help me? Would you need more information?

Thanks a bunch in advance :)
 Wildstar
08-20-2004, 4:50 PM
Ingo Monk

I'm posing your questions to a few friends on another board. They should be able to answer them. Just be patient. :)
 Ingo Monk
08-21-2004, 4:30 AM
Thanks, much appreciated. :)
 Wildstar
08-21-2004, 1:44 PM
Ingo Monk

Here's your answer: turn off forced anti-aliasing on your graphics card. That will tend to make in-game text garbled as what appears to be your case. :)
 Ingo Monk
08-22-2004, 5:45 AM
Ok turned off anti aliasing and it seems to have no effect. I then tried turning off everything in the nView Performance window and it still didn't have any effect.

Any other ideas to try? :)
 Wildstar
08-22-2004, 8:13 PM
Ingo

Only thing I can think of is to upgrade DirectX. Most recent version is 9.0b. Waiting also for other suggestions.
 Greenlantern24
08-22-2004, 11:08 PM
I have the same problem! I recently replaced my GeForce 4 MX 440 64mb with a GeForce 6800 Gt 256mb

XWA Worked fine with the old card but with the new card i have the same problems you are having.

I would think a NEW TOP OF THE LINE CARD would not have this problem.

If you find a way to solve it Let me KNOW.
:fett:
 Ingo Monk
08-23-2004, 5:19 AM
I had DirectX 9.0b already. :(
 Wildstar
08-24-2004, 4:42 PM
Another thing you guys can try is to run it at only the same resolution that Windows itself runs at (i.e. if your resolution setting in Windows is 1024X768, run XWA at that resolution as well).
 Greenlantern24
08-24-2004, 7:03 PM
Tried that it did not help. I remember reading somthing about this but it was with Jedi Knight. The solution was to go back to an outdated driver or somthing. May be that is what needs to be done.

But I dont see why. The new drivers should suport the old.
 Wildstar
08-26-2004, 4:59 PM
I'm at a loss, so about the only thing left to suggest is to post about the problem in the LucasArts support forums and hope someone has found an answer. Another place to try is the Official Totally Games Forums on EZBoard (http://pub30.ezboard.com/bofficialtotallygamesboard) in the X-Wing Trilogy forum.
 Ingo Monk
08-27-2004, 4:36 AM
I actually e-mailed Lucas Arts tech support. They said 'we'll get back to you in 24-48 hours' It's now been 3-4 days.
 Wildstar
08-28-2004, 7:12 PM
Hey guys

Another of my friends on the board also says it's an anti-aliasing problem, but suggests this...set anti-aliasing to "let application control anti-aliasing" and then either turn it on or off in XWA.
 Ingo Monk
08-30-2004, 11:43 PM
Last I checked XWA doesn't have any anti-aliasing settings.
 Wildstar
09-01-2004, 12:32 PM
Ingo

I talked to Invader (the mod here) on ICQ this morning & we seem to think it's a problem specific to the GeForce FX series of graphics cards. Earlier nVidia cards (such as my GeForce4) and all ATI cards (including the high-end Radeons) seem to run XWA fine, even with anti-aliasing enabled on the card and hardware acceleration enabled in XWA. So basically, you have two choices: run XWA in software mode (no hardware acceleration) or replace the graphics card. Personally, I know which brand I'm getting for my next graphics card upgrade now. ;)
 Ingo Monk
09-02-2004, 10:36 PM
I've been a loyal nVidia-ist for all this time and this happens? What's up with that? By the way, Lucas Arts tech support never e-mailed me back.
Page: 1 of 1