Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Cantina 6: PTH Part V Revenge (Discussion)

Page: 5 of 5
 Writer
11-12-2004, 1:21 PM
Originally posted by Redwing
The time skip won't happen, if it does happen next thread, until at least midway through the plotline. I'm guessing you mean the dimension jump? :)

Of course... I think :confused: :D Ya, before dimension jump... Elaina has to be with them through that so she's not left behind in the time skip... ok? (I've just totally confused myself... did I confuse you guys too?:D )
 jokemaster
11-12-2004, 1:39 PM
is about the end of the universe,
*Starts singing 'it's the end of the world and we know it'*
 Redwing
11-12-2004, 1:55 PM
Originally posted by wildjedi
Of course... I think :confused: :D Ya, before dimension jump... Elaina has to be with them through that so she's not left behind in the time skip... ok? (I've just totally confused myself... did I confuse you guys too?:D )

No, that's what I thought you meant. ;)

That's exactly the issue that might come up with everyone else, which is why I'm bringing it up (and am willing to delay it indefinitely if there are any issues) :D
 BattleDog
11-12-2004, 3:04 PM
Admiral: Drago does remember. You don't think he'd "forget" do you. If he heard you say that you'd be in serious smelly brown stuff.

At any rate Vidar never said he was going to take Drago up on the offer and I'd say that if Allessa doesn't get off the planet then the deal will be off. (Along with a few Asier heads, if Hal has anything to do with it.)

As to Viking, you know as well as I do that the meaning of words gets twisted and while I've also seen it translated as port I think everyone got the meaning I intended.

Reference Scar's opinion of my forces, well, since he doesn't have his own army I think his opinion is moot.

In adition, for the purposes of my own reference I am compiling a tome on Agamar.

Brief History

Culture

Conflict between Commons Parliament and Noble Senate

Geography

A detailed breakdown of the military, including variations in Legionary formations, precise numbers for each territory and an illustrated weapons guide.

If anyone's interested maybe I could make it available for download.
 Kuuki
11-12-2004, 3:14 PM
 Redwing
11-12-2004, 3:32 PM
I'm interested. :)

I'm doing something similar, mostly because I have to. >< A webcomic, a novel (first chapter written, need to write more to submit for next workshop class ^^;;), and the RPGs here...I need to keep my notes straight! :D

Although it's more of an outline than yours looks to be, BD; reason, because I'm constantly developing the world, through writing as well as art, and I like leaving room to add stuff.

I had the idea of making a sort of group world-building/revealing/describing-type project, since I have the Aether, you have Agamar, Admiral has the Aesir culture, and Deac has Mrear and [can't remember the name, am half-asleep :D] Deac's culture. (JM, Scar or whoever else wanted to join could make something else up. :D) We'd use something like the questions from here (http://www.sfwa.org/writing/worldbuilding1.htm), roughly, for example, and post a couple things per day, or something. Since everyone keeps saying how they need to finish writing/compiling/etc their 'world bibles', I'm curious to know what you of this idea :)

Second topic: As for the armies and Scar's opinions, I do think you are very much underestimating the Aesir. There is no way that, in a match between a force of Agamarians and Aesir of equal numbers that Aesir would win. The Aesir are all adults are between a hundred and hundreds of thousands years of age. They all are Force-sensitive, and have had all that time in their adult life to become extremely skilled and versatile with whatever they chose to. All that experience, plus superior military technology - better weapons and armor. Add in the fact that they are ultra-paranoid and thus likely to be much better prepared, and will likely know everything about their enemy forces if at all possible (and it's very much possible in this case). The Agamarian army has no possible edge over all this from what you've listed. Ignoring ranged weapons and eliminating the Futhark gives the same result.
 jokemaster
11-12-2004, 3:37 PM
I have no imaginacion/time/energy to come up with my own culture. :p
 BattleDog
11-13-2004, 6:38 AM
While I broadly aggree with you I need to make a few points in defence of my people.

1. After you achieve mastery of a weapon you don't have much more to do. You can only know so many moves, combinations etc and you can only get so fast.

2. Agamarian Warriors train exaustivly with two or three weapons. For example.

Bow & Shortsword

Shortsword & Spear

Lance & Longsword & Shortsword

So although they're not as versatile they're highly specialized.

Added to this the Noble Orders (I refuse to use the word Knight, I'm actually leaning toward creating my own title) are fanatically dedicated warriors, thats why out of all the nobles there are only around 150-200,000 on the whole planet.

So although Admiral's Asier would win it would be really painful.

As to thw "World Bible" I should have something to show you around Christmas time.
 jokemaster
11-13-2004, 6:39 AM
Santa BD is coming to town.....
 Redwing
11-13-2004, 11:07 PM
I had the idea of making a sort of group world-building/revealing/describing-type project <<snip>>

We'd use something like the questions from here (http://www.sfwa.org/writing/worldbuilding1.htm), roughly, for example, and post a couple things per day, or something.

I prolly should have pointed out that this would be done in a new thread. :D

It could be treated like an RPG, answer one question a day (or several days). When complete, we'd have approximentations of world bibles, that could be used for RPGs.

Anyone interested in doing this? Coz I don't want to post this, and then be the only one replying in the thread! :D

(BD, if you want to do your Agamarian Bible on your own, you could do some other RPG world 'Bible'...like the End of the World RPG (a world which I find a tad confusing), as the list I referenced does allow for alternate Earths as well as "not Earth at all" worlds ;))
 Deac
11-14-2004, 7:45 AM
Sounds fun. I'm in.
 BattleDog
11-14-2004, 10:40 AM
I'm in but any answers I give in the thread will be subject to revision when I release my "final" version.
 Admiral
11-14-2004, 5:58 PM
Does seem like a good way to flush out my Aesir so I'm in.
 Redwing
11-15-2004, 2:27 PM
Woo. ^_^

BD: That goes without saying (and same disclaimer for me)

Will make said thread later on when I'm not supposed to be studying for a test that I have in an hour. :D
 Redwing
11-16-2004, 7:58 PM
Okay, PtH questions:

1) Do the undead Sith get their body parts reattached immediately when they're removed, or do they have to die before they fully reconstitute?

2) Did the Aesir make wing-armor for Aidan as well as armor for the rest of his body? [Not too far-fetched considering how light mithril is, but it woud require alot of extra mithril to cover all that...]
 Admiral
11-17-2004, 8:27 AM
Red:

1.) Yes a sith needs to die before they reconsistute. Until they die they cannot reform.

2.) Yes. Just like Raschel has armor for her tail.
 Redwing
11-17-2004, 1:58 PM
Gotcha.

Originally posted by BattleDog
((I stand by my assessment of the swords, since they should have short swords, and daggers.

As to the helms, since the Heloki seem to be able to rip it apart anyway..... Well.))

Well mithril is (at least nearly) impenetrable by lightsabers, which is very important here as there are many more Sith than Heloki. Also, while the Heloki have armor-piercing claws, it still takes a moment to pierce the armor, I assume...imagine what would happen to a bare head.

Originally posted by Admiral
((Sorry but I have to run, tonight I plan on posting one of the indivdual fights in it's entirety (just to make things simple since I have a number of them) ))

I assume you mean fights between your own characters?

Also: See PMs.
 Admiral
11-19-2004, 9:32 AM
Red and BD: about that first part.

Yes it takes a second before the Heloki can puncuture the armor. And do not forget about the Fenris brood (they haven't played a large part since this battle doesn't play to there strenghts). Bare heads with a Heloki's claw could mean in short order a missing head.

Another thing about long swords. They have greater reach then short swords and can be designed for stabing. Also as the formations fail and one finds himself with more room you then can take full advantage of a longsword. Where Hal switched weapons, the Aesir do not and that is far better since they do not have to be defenseless even for a second.

--------------------------------------------
Yes I mean my own characters.

---------------------------------------------

Scar:

As a reminder, the Sith Interrogator would not pause in the middle of this fight to capture anyone. Since Cracern has been given what amounts to a death blow they would go past him onto the others to make sure no Aesir survive.

Also the Interrogator is at the bottom of the Sith Ranks and wouldn't have anyone under his command. Keep in mind when they captured Sir Vin they wanted to know how many others were on the planet. They don't want that information and turning them isn't high on their list of things to do.
 Redwing
11-19-2004, 10:26 AM
Also, what information could Cracern give that Misae can't? :)
 Kuuki
11-19-2004, 10:31 AM
i donno, i wanted to throw him in somewhere
 BattleDog
11-23-2004, 1:06 PM
Okay, I've been thinking: How about having one of the keys on Tarsis.

The main hook with this place is the total blanket "no tech" rule.

The idea being that anything you bring fails, so there's no point. They'd also be stuck there until a pre-aranged time or visual signal for the Asgardried to pick them up.

In adition the group would get hit with about every mythalogical creature we haven't yet seen and I really want to do a pitched battle with some of my legions.
 Redwing
11-23-2004, 7:26 PM
Mythological creature? Wait until you see next thread...

But, sure! I definitely like that idea. In fact, if you look at the draft framework for PtH, you see the plan goes something like this:

PtH 6: My universe (alternate Earth/Magic world)
PtH 7: ?
PtH 8: Fire (Phoenix Gate)
PtH 9: Eye (of Odin)
PtH 10: Ice (Unsure)
PtH 11: Time Matrix

So, PtH 7 really needs a setting...which could be, totally or partially, Tarsis. (Or Tarsis could be a setting in a later thread, of course.) That's from a purely plot standpoint. What do you think?
 Admiral
11-23-2004, 8:46 PM
Taris does sound interesting.

Although by the time the group returns to the current dimension The Sith will be in control of galaxy. Although I'm sure Drago and your legions would make a nice little resistance force.
 Redwing
11-23-2004, 9:02 PM
That depends. The 'Great Time Skip' doesn't HAVE to happen next thread although it's the most convenient place for it.

I don't think that would interfere with the group being able to go to Tarsis, though.

Side note: BD, do you want Drago to tag along to see Earth's magic world, or leave the group before they dimension-skip?

Oh, and incidentally I am posting that worldbuilding thread either tonight or tomorrow (er - *looks at clock* later today). :)
 BattleDog
11-23-2004, 11:07 PM
I think Drago should stay with the Legions, I'm not quite sure at the moment since he should have conflicting responsibilities.

Like I said the hook with Tarsis is the no-tech thing, which leaves the Sith in the lurch without lightsabres. I can invisage the entire Lahara sector Legionary Force (whats left of it) hiding on Tarsis and using it as base. Since ships can land and take off and as soon as something leaves the planet it starts working again.

The reason you don't take tech there is incase the Tarsae capture it and then somehow get off Tarsis.

Flax will be going there in the Cantina next thread so you'll get a look at it anyway. Obviously I don't want to unravel the whole world now.

I'm not really happy with the time skip. 20 years is going to screw with the characters too much, I think. How about four or five smaller jumps.

If we do a twenty year skip Hal will just turn into his father.
 Admiral
11-24-2004, 5:44 AM
Well there are two ways to do this time skip.

1. Normal way everyone gets older. This could be interesting the group not getting anywhere with the quest and just chasing false leads.

As to Hal turning into Flax, that could happen but it is not very hard to see him turning into someone compeltely different.

2. The group gets caught in a time bubble where time moves slowly for them. The get out of the bubble and twenty years have passeed, for them it seems like a day or a week (etc).

This option in my opinion has a lot of fun possibilities to offer. With Hal & Drago: Hal thinking hes been out of touch for a week, not twenty years returns to find Drago who believed he was dead. Then finding the galaxy is now a giant slave labor camp to make things worse.

We've been leaning towards this one (at least in the past we have).

Also if you could start making an outline for what you would like to happen in Taris (Going to tie in anything from KOTOR?)
 Redwing
11-24-2004, 9:15 AM
Tarsis Admiral. Not Taris. :)

BD: I agree with you, which is why I don't like the idea of #1 at all and have always basically planned on #2.

By the way, there are a couple ways to do the 'time bubble' as well.

1: The schism happens because it's part of the quest itself. It is keyed to the 'quest-identifier' magic inside the group, and as time jumps forward for them it will jump forward for everyone with that magic - including Misae, and Drago if he stays with the group for much longer (long enough for the magic to transfer over).

2: The schism happens because of somewhere the group goes. It affects only those in that certain place/situation. Anyone separated from the group (ex: Misae) would stay in the normal time frame and age as such.

Reason it could most conveniently happen next thread is because #2.2 would work best there. So many ways I could have the group stumble into something to cause that in my dimension/while dimension traveling. Why do you think the Middle Ages of my world connects with Mrear, while 2000+ connects with the current SW universe? Schisms in time thanks to an unstable artificial dimension plane. :)
 BattleDog
11-24-2004, 12:57 PM
I haven't played KOTOR, my PC is bellow the spec:(

Okay, well I have a rough concept of Tarsis, since I was going to send Flax there.

The world it's self is roughly Earth-like, there are four main continants and a lot of islands. Most of the equatorial region is desert and the polar caps are quite extensive. The planet has two moons which opperate on a 22 day cycle with the second, smaller, moon roughly 4 days behind the first.

Mostly the Agamarians work in the northern hemesphire becuase this provides them with the neccessary raw materials to make their weapons. (This is mainly to do with the longbows.)

I was thinking of having an army of around 90,000 on the planet.

This would compose 2 regular Northern Compact Legions, stats for those are in this thread; 4 war Levies. These are like legions but they have no house guards, about half the number of cavalvy and billmen and three times the longbow men.

In addition there will be a Cup of Winds Legion (Sophae's people), this Legion is roughly the same as a compact legion but with no billmen. Instead they have 800 heavy militia cavalry.

Then I was thinking a mixed Legion of the other peoples on Agamar, including Carr'nessa and Relinion. That should be interesting for Matt and Allessa.

Then I was going to have about 500 Noble Warriors (Heavy Cav) to make up the numbers.

As to what will happen when they land:

The normal MO is for a group to come in fast, offload in 15-20 minutes and then for the ship to get space bourne fast. As soon as they enter the atmosphere power levels will begin to drop, so speed is important.

As soon as the group land they will be attacked by whatever is near by. The only safe spots on the planet are stone circles. Something about the stones keeps the natives away.

Now a ship landing will obviously also attract the Agamarians.

My vision of the planet is mainly rough moorland and hills with thick forests, rivers, marshes. Think Dark Age Britain.

Now there are lots of ancient ruins around so the key is probably in one of those.

My general outline goes.

Group land ---> Group attacked and meet Legions. ---> Group get embroualed in 25-1 battle. ---> group go search for key in ruins with detachment of Housegaurds. --->

Thats as far as I've got with it so far.

Aside from that I have one thought.

River Styx.
 Admiral
11-24-2004, 1:03 PM
And how closely will you keep to the true "river Styx"

Something for you to think about for the purpose of this planet. are the three Drakes. I'm thinking about having them go with Drago as the Aesirian emisaries (sort of).

They could phycisally land ships, and bring them back to orbit.
 BattleDog
11-24-2004, 11:12 PM
The issue then though would be that the ships reactors would be drained. I would say that sending the Drakes alone would be unwise.

Now I'll go into my thoughts on "Dragons"

There are three types:

A. Flightless Dragons, usually measuring 15-25m in length these are basicall lizzards with short, powerfull legs, they part and run part sliver accross the ground and are only about as fast as a man. They have very mobile tales with spiked ends and they breath fire. They are difficult to kill because of their armoured scales and because the only "weak" spot is on the belly. They usually have to be stopped by battledogs with force forged blades, unless you find a way to get at the belly.

B. Man Dragons, believed to be crossbred with some other creature. They are bipedal, with man like bodies and dragon heads with redused snouts, they stand around 2m tall, some have tales and wings, all breath fire. They are considered dangerous but most houseguards would be expected to take one down.

C. Winged Dragon, basically the classic European Dragon, standing around 10-15m tall and between 20-30m long in flight. The breath fire, they ruin your day. It is the privilage of the Dragonsbain to slay these creatures.

Dragonsbain: A subdevision of most Noble Orders these men are equipped in the same way as others but carry compound bows, the arrows for which are each Force-forged, they have the finest armour and the best horses.

When not fighting dragons they are a dominating and virtually undefeatable battlefield force. They can usually be recognised by their destinctive dragon's scale shields, which they earn after their first kill.

Of the 30,000 odd Battledogs only two tumae (80) are Dragonsbain.

So you can see why the Agamarians won't be too keen on the Drakes.

As to the Styx: The Homeric version.
 Admiral
11-27-2004, 1:51 PM
But would they be willing to work with the Drakes?

What about the other rivers of Hades BD:

Acheron - the river of woe
Cocytus - the river of lamentation
Phlegethon - the river of fire
Lethe - the river of forgetfulness

Those could also be entertaining...

Also I want the group to return to Coruscant after this time skip, and probably before Tarsis.

Couple of reasons why:

1. So knew people can join (that was the point of Yevoth)

2. The group has seen Corsuscant mainly untouched. After twenty years the planet will be in ruins for the most part. Think along the lines of many post-apocalypse movies. I think it would be interesting for the group to see first hand how much Coruscant has suffered.
 Writer
11-28-2004, 8:18 PM
Admiral, I want to make sure Elaina joins the group before any time skipping happens... she is Tanara's younger sister, both physically and mentally. I want it to stay that way. If you're planning Coruscant after the skip, where can I have Elaina run into the rest of us?
 BattleDog
11-29-2004, 12:29 AM
Agamarians are pragmatic, they'll be willing to work with the Drakes but they have to be brought round to it. If one just appeared then all hell fould break loose.

Admiral, have you read the Odyssey? Or even the Aeneid?
 Admiral
11-29-2004, 7:30 AM
WJ: At the beginning of the next thread. The group will be landing at a planet where they can meet.

BD: The Odyssey
 BattleDog
11-29-2004, 1:59 PM
Off Topic: Admiral, what was your opinion of the resourceful Odysseus?

As an aside I wouldn't really recomend the Aeneid.

On Topic: That image is what I want the group to experiance. Having to meet theri dead relatives will be a real eye opener, I think, for all involved.
 Admiral
11-29-2004, 4:42 PM
It's been a coule years since reading it so I'm a little rusty on certain facts. Odysseus seemed to be very resourceful, and came up with some clever idea on how to escape certain difficulties (I paticularly like him adopting the name "Nohbody". Although if not for Athena he would have died early on.

His penchant for bragging was also interesting.

What about you? (and what version did you read? I read the translation by Seamus Heaney)
 BattleDog
11-29-2004, 11:12 PM
I read E.V Rieu. I liked him but his willingness to hop into any bed while still being totally devoted to his wife was a bit.... odd. He certainly owes his survival (and his troubles) to the Gods.

The Scenes in the Palace are great and the ones in the underworld are genuinly creepy.
 Admiral
11-30-2004, 6:59 AM
I liked how it showed a double standard in society. Woman had to be chaste while men could sleep with whoever they wanted. The palace scene was nice and interesting, I liked how Odysseus took his revenge on the suiters.

I watched a movie based on the Odyssey and they butchered the story and Odysseus. They made him into an arrogant idiot who took delight in flipping off the gods.
 jokemaster
11-30-2004, 12:46 PM
I saw oh brother where art thou....
 BattleDog
11-30-2004, 1:00 PM
*Ignores JM*:D

Yes, the double standard it a good point. Whats more interesting is the beafy matcho characters, versus the effeminate Classical Greeks. As to film versions, bear in mind that the poem takes 36 odd hours to sing.

FYI if Odysseus really existed he would have been over sixe feet tall.
 Admiral
11-30-2004, 1:07 PM
That is no excuse for destroying the story BD. The version I saw was horrid.
 jokemaster
11-30-2004, 2:03 PM
*Ignores JM*:D

Yes, the double standard it a good point. Whats more interesting is the beafy matcho characters, versus the effeminate Classical Greeks. As to film versions, bear in mind that the poem takes 36 odd hours to sing.

FYI if Odysseus really existed he would have been over sixe feet tall.
They're ignoring me. NOW'S MY CHANCE
*Unleashes plan to take over the cantina universe*
 Redwing
11-30-2004, 3:38 PM
I liked Oh Brother Where Art Thou. I liked the Odyssey more, although I haven't read it in five-six years. =)

Saw the (an?) Odyssey movie a few years ago, didn't like it either.
 BattleDog
12-01-2004, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Admiral
That is no excuse for destroying the story BD. The version I saw was horrid.

That is exactly why it should never havre even have been considered for a film, look at what they did to the Illiad with Troy!
 Admiral
12-01-2004, 7:49 AM
Haven't seen Troy yet, so I really can't comment.
 Redwing
12-01-2004, 8:56 AM
It was pretty horrid. Despite excellent (and attractive ^_~) actors, the storyline was butchered. All the gods were taken out of the story for the sake of 'realism', and some important plot details were altered for (what I can only assume to be) the sake of drama. (especially the ending...gah) That, and the music was annoying and trying too hard to be 'epic' (along with, arguably, much of the dialogue). ;)

I'd love to see an Illiad/Odyssey movie done properly, for pretty much the same reasons I loved the Lord of the Rings films.

I shouldn't even be posting now, I have a major school project due later today :D
 BattleDog
12-01-2004, 12:30 PM
Troy wasn't even realistic, armour, shields, helmets and weapons were all remenisant of Classical Greece, not the badass Mycenaeans.

So, like King Arthur, it fails in both catagories.
 Admiral
12-01-2004, 1:04 PM
I haven't seen the latest King Aruthor movie either but at least it had some celtic references from the trailers that I did see. Unlike some of the ones made.

I really like it when they make a movie with knights who wear armor so heavy that they cann't stand up when they fall.
 Redwing
12-01-2004, 10:45 PM
Troy wasn't even realistic, armour, shields, helmets and weapons were all remenisant of Classical Greece, not the badass Mycenaeans.

Ya, but I didn't mind or even really notice that (so I'll take your word for it ^_~). What really appealed to me were the Greek ships. They always were among my favorite designs as a kid (which is when I studied the Greeks...I was a bookish child :D) and so the opening scene of the trailer showing the vast fleet of beautiful Greek ships covering the sea...the cool music, the voiceover, the shots of the actors (I like pretty much all the major actors in this film, so shoot me)... It's just a real pity that the movie wasn't half as good as the trailer. :p

(Actually, there were some pretty good parts to the movie...couldn't save the overall piece, though.)

Oh, and curious, how were the Classical Greeks "effeminate"? Still not sure what you meant by that...please don't tell me you're from the school of thought that says anything in males resembling what Western culture now sees as 'feminine' is a bad thing ;)

Wow, we're way off discussing PtH by now. :D

Back on subject, superthrawn is really swamped and not able to post much right now (especially since he's got so much catch-up...) He'll probably have Ritchet pop back in apologizing for being pulled away, later on. Convenient when you have a character who can do that at a moment's notice...don't have to worry about another coma like Josine ;)
 BattleDog
12-01-2004, 11:09 PM
Classical Greeks were gay, they didn't like women and thier ideal of beuty is the male form. In addition they spent a lot of time writing boks and bitching.

By Comparrison Ancient Greeks spent most of their time pillaging, killing, making war, and women appear alot more in art. They also had way cooler swords.

So really its a comparrison.
Page: 5 of 5