Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Cantina 6: PTH Part V Revenge (Discussion)

Page: 4 of 5
 jokemaster
11-04-2004, 7:46 PM
Originally posted by Admiral
JM: The Aesir are fighting in the hopes of reducing the number of Fenris Brood and Heloki. As well as having a chance at removing the Jotuns. This would make things easier for the group and is well worth it.

There are other reasons but that is the main one.

Remember there is also just one ship off the planet, and the Asgardried cannot hold all the Aesir.

The Aesir are doomed one way or another. This battle gives them the best chance to do the most damage.
Ah, OK.
 BattleDog
11-05-2004, 4:34 AM
Admiral, not to put too finer point on it but the best chance of doing the most damage would have been not to blow up the galaxy.

As to my last comment a better way of putting it would be, will they fight Saxon or Roman.
 Admiral
11-05-2004, 8:42 AM
Wrong BD: Things would have been worse. Much worse if they didn't.

and they will be fighting in Schiltrons.

The reason why I choose Schiltrons vs PHalanxs, or other formations is that Schiltrons form an entirely circular defense. Where a phalanx tends to have their backs and a side exposed. (Not good when surrounded).

Schiltrons basically form a shield wall with weaker units in the center, stronger ones along the perimeter. Now those in a Schiltron need to be very disciplined and have had a lot of practice with the formation, especially when the formation moves For obvious reason.

And this is going to be the Key to why the Aesir are not dead in 20 minutes. At the center of each Schiltron will be a healer like Idun.

As an Aesir becomes wounded the formation will essentially walks over the soldier until the wounded man is at the center with the healer. Once the soldier has been treated they take up a place in the last ring.

BD. As you see this formation creates the shield wall Drago had initially suggested also allows for the rotation of troops. Those who had been fighting the most can drop to the ground and the formation walks over putting the tired soldier at the center fresh ones in the front.

I will also point out that ranged attacks can quickly destroy schiltrons. And people wonder why I outlawed such attacks early on. ;)

and you may wonder why the group not encouraged to fight: well they have had no practice with schiltrons. It is also why there is no room for people not following orders. When the one in charge tells the formation to move right they all must do so as one.
 Admiral
11-05-2004, 11:11 AM
About the battle:

I need to know who is and who isn't fighting. If I don't get a reply I'm assuming your characters are not going to fight (that being the smart choice). Reason don't need to be given, that can be done in RPG just name something along the lines: Orthos if going to fight, Ellela and Gortick are not.

Currently those fighting (that I'm positive of):
Orthos
Tanara
Aidan

Not Fighting: Everoyone else *at this point*
 Redwing
11-05-2004, 11:29 AM
Aidan is going to fight.

Guy, Marin, and Raschel are not.
 Kuuki
11-05-2004, 2:08 PM
well you already know that the Irvines gotta take part ;)
 BattleDog
11-05-2004, 3:34 PM
So the answer would be smart:D

Drago and Hal will fight.

The House Gaurds will try to fight but Hal will try to get them to protect Allessa instead.

Obviously a couple of my legions would rip your precious Asier apart. *Ridiculas boast.*
 Kuuki
11-05-2004, 3:57 PM
Prolly not, I would favor the Aesir in a fight agenst your legions

from a human training all his life, to an aesir who had been training for ragnarok for eons

the aesir would win no contest :)
 Redwing
11-05-2004, 4:05 PM
If it's a matter of training, and quality of weapons, the Aesir win. If BD's legions are Force-sensitive and trained in arts that the Aesir were not trained in, then it's more up in the air. ;)
 Kuuki
11-05-2004, 4:59 PM
Isnt the Aesir also force sensitive?
 Redwing
11-05-2004, 5:31 PM
Ya, but there are different ways of using the Force...

Too much discussion over BD's joke ;)

So, so far we have:

Fighting: Orthos, Aidan, Tanara, Sir-Vin, Cracern, Hal, Drago.

Not fighting: Guy, Marin, Raschel, Matt, Ellela, Gortick.

That leaves...well, that really just leaves Ritchet. And I dunno if Ritchet could really fight in the battle according to how the Aesir are playing this XD but really it's up to superthrawn...
 jokemaster
11-05-2004, 7:26 PM
Matt's definetely not fighting. He couldn't realistically survive.
 Admiral
11-05-2004, 8:49 PM
Don't know what is funnier, BD's comment or that Scar was argueing about it.

anyways in case any of you think that your characters are going to survive this battle without a scratch think again. They will be hurt, there is simple no way to avoid this except for them not fighting.
 Kuuki
11-06-2004, 3:44 AM
I was in an arguementive mood :)

it just happens to be not with you or red at the time :D
 BattleDog
11-06-2004, 4:31 AM
One on one my Legions would rip Admiral's current forces to bits. Why?

Longbows, Horse Archers, Lancers, not to mention Barbarian Northmen and Car'nessa javalin men, plus the myriad other special troops.

Then We have 30,000 Battledogs, 6,000 Golden Lions, 12,000 Sword Brothers and 8,000 Men of the Shore.

The fact is though that I can only field 200,000 Legionaries and around 400,000-500,000 Reserves and I can't use all of those for one battle.

Fielding all 56,000 Noble Warriors is also impossible.
 Kuuki
11-06-2004, 4:39 AM
cus admiral's forces are roughly 5 million
 Admiral
11-06-2004, 8:36 AM
That is funny BD, wrong but funny.

Your are making many assumptions about the Aesir's forces based on a battle with specific rules that outlaw Calvary, and ranged weapons.

You are also forgetting the Drakes that fight alonside the Aesir. Given no rules against ranged weapons they would reign fire down upon your legions before they got in range to use their longbows.

Also forgetting about the Futhark users who could put up shields that would make your legions ranged attacks useless, and well could refelct such attacks back at them. (handy trick).

You assume that the Aesir would not field calvary, again that is wrong. They actually have a long tradition of mounted combat. (In the true form of Ragnarok, Calvary is not outlawed, nor is ranged weapons btw).

Then you assume that they wouldn't have any ranged attacks of their own. Again that is wrong, Archery is another popular form of combat for the Aesir.

The beauty of living for so long is that you can train and become proficient in many different types of weapons.

Oh, you also forgot that if ranged weapons are allowed, they have weapons that fight on their own (remember Raschel's gun in the last thread). Each Aesir on the field could have a number of guns hovering over them and shooting at the enemy.

and that is just the tip of the iceberg. This battle is as limiting to the Aesir as it is to their enemies.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Reaons why Ranged attacks are outlawed:

1. Didn't feel like using them.

2. 5 Drakes with their fire would make the battle end very quickly. Even with the 3 friendly drakes, there is still 2 free enemy drakes that can send fire at the Aesir and kill many in a single pass.

3. Jotuns can launch fire balls, and frost/ice balls a great distance wanted to limit that ability in this fight (make things more interesting)

4. The Aesir's "mages" could caste defensive shields that would repulse attacks of the enemy and possible send them back at whoever initiated the attack (this is considered a ranged weapon/attack). I wanted to limit this as well.

and some more.

Reasons for No calvary:

1. Wanted to make things harder on the Aesir by depriving them of that option. Heloki in a way are the enemy form of calvary.

2. I wanted a pure melee fight.

and a some more reasons.
 BattleDog
11-06-2004, 3:24 PM
I said my forces, if they numbered five million, would waste your no ranged attaks current force. I am quite aware that without these restrictions you'd wipe my forces off the face of the earth.

However, since we're on the subject I have few surprises of my own.

As you may by no have gathered force sensitivity is more common among Agamarians.

As a rough figure, if a Lord has five sons one of them will be strong enough in the force to be trained. If he has five daughters then two will be strong enough for serious training.

This makes the Futhark rather less funky.

LOL.

I have a mental image of the two armies playing tennis with all those arrows :D
 Admiral
11-08-2004, 7:36 PM
Some more battle information:

Each of the characters fighting will be in a seperate Schiltron. The schiltrons are controled soley by the Aesir and they will ignore any recommendations any characters make.

The characters in the schiltrons are in the center of the formation with the healer and are somewhat safe, they will not be rotated to the font of the formation. Their combat will truely begin once the Schiltrons begin to fail (this will be due to taking loses and them no longer having the ability to hold the formation due to lack of people.

Certain characters who have specific enemies to fight will not be in a schiltron. They will be at the front of the army and will be ignored by the enemy army (Example: Heimdall is going after Loki, and loki after him. Each army is going to ignore the two and let them fight to their hearts content). Reason it is how Ragnarok occurs.

Characters in Schiltrons:
Drago
Hal
Sir Vin
Cracren
Aidan

Characters in the front:
Orthos
Tanara
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posting: Hopefully tomorrow I will advance time again and have it be dawn right before the battle begins, allowing for some reactions if anyone wants to.

2nd post will be a short talk between the two sides.

3rd post will advance time again bringing to a point where all characters will be involved in the fighting.

Deac, WJ your two characters will be fighting against their opponents from the start so please don't think I'm trying to limit your characters action just don't want don't want to have everyone waiting a while.

*This may change depending on work etc.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Redwing
11-08-2004, 11:00 PM
Um, I assume the schiltrons form after the short talk between the two sides, considering that's the point when everyone will know who's facing who?

Further explanation: See PMs.
 Writer
11-09-2004, 11:14 AM
Wow! Tanara's at the front? Red only told me that Tanara was supposed to be in the battle! Gosh, can I have a little more info or am I going to find out who my opponent is when we actually start the fight? Either way works for me... whatever you decide.
 Admiral
11-09-2004, 5:59 PM
The short talk will be between the commanders of the two armies. The most of the group (that is fighting) will be well within the Aesir's formation. But since all have a Jedi's ability to increase their sight and hearing they should be able to hear what is going on.

Assignments:

Vidar vs Fenrir
Heimdall vs Loki
Tyr vs Jormungand
Freya vs Hel
Forseti vs Surt A Fire Jotun
Svafa vs Geirrod A Frost Jotun
Hirst vs Kari A Fire Jotun
Idona vs Blast a Fire Jotun
Gunn vs Gjlap a Frost Jotun
Sigrun vs Greip a Frost Jotun
Orthos vs Lokpihet
Tanara vs Darth Hellion (A High Dark Lord of the Sith)

Why is it that I have assigned Tanara to fight a Sith Lord?

It is rather simple. When I compare all the jedi characters, Tanara is the best Jedi around and at the moment the only one who really can claim the title of Jedi Knight in my opinion.
 jokemaster
11-09-2004, 7:19 PM
The short talk will be between the commanders of the two armies. The most of the group (that is fighting) will be well within the Aesir's formation. But since all have a Jedi's ability to increase their sight and hearing they should be able to hear what is going on.

Assignments:

Vidar vs Fenrir
Heimdall vs Loki
Tyr vs Jormungand
Freya vs Hel
Forseti vs Surt A Fire Jotun
Svafa vs Geirrod A Frost Jotun
Hirst vs Kari A Fire Jotun
Idona vs Blast a Fire Jotun
Gunn vs Gjlap a Frost Jotun
Sigrun vs Greip a Frost Jotun
Orthos vs Lokpihet
Tanara vs Darth Hellion (A High Dark Lord of the Sith)

Why is it that I have assigned Tanara to fight a Sith Lord?

It is rather simple. When I compare all the jedi characters, Tanara is the best Jedi around and at the moment the only one who really can claim the title of Jedi Knight in my opinion.
Really? I thought you'd put her against a sith lord to solve her personality disorder.
 Admiral
11-09-2004, 8:30 PM
JM, you don't need to quote the entire post especially since you posted right after me.

Secondly it could make Tanara's second personalty come to the surface and possible take control. Of course that is up to WJ.
 Redwing
11-09-2004, 8:39 PM
Admiral didn't say that was his ONLY reason, you know. :)

(Disregard my last post, Admiral and I have had (more) extensive discussion about it over PMs/Instant Messenger, which is really unnecessary to relate here.)
 Writer
11-09-2004, 9:43 PM
But the bottom line here is that none of us are going to escape this battle without injury, right? Will any of us defeat our opponents? or is that up to us?
 BattleDog
11-10-2004, 5:49 AM
*Grumble. Grumble.*

I'm not even going to say it this time, but if you want a great warrior to fight a Sith....................

Beyond that, what about Elella, doesn't she have a sabre staff as well?
 Deac
11-10-2004, 8:51 AM
Elella has an orange lightsaber. She's never had a double one...
 BattleDog
11-10-2004, 10:00 AM
Ok, I'm not going to argue with you about your own characters.
 Admiral
11-10-2004, 10:05 AM
Ellela is not fighting.

WJ: Given the size of the enemy army it is impossible to fight and not recieve some kind of wound (and a small cut doesn't count). Your charater only needs to worry about Darth Hellion and there is always a chance for them to be victorious.
 Writer
11-10-2004, 12:06 PM
Am I right in thinking that somebody else will be controlling Darth Hellion? So therefore it would be that person's decision if Tanara wins... I can only defend her as best I can... BTW, she'll be loosing an arm if I have anything to say about it... her left arm. That's not a minor cut if you ask me!:p
 BattleDog
11-10-2004, 12:52 PM
Ah, that I missed, Admiral.

I'm not sure whats going to happen to Hal. I don't want to perminatly cripple him so I'm not sure what to do. I mean I've given the guy so many knocks, he's now lost his whole family, he almost slipped over to the darkside in that temple, the Asier hate him.

The guy has just started to recover. I mean compared with the last two threads he's on the up.

Right?

Or does he still seem like a psychotic meat head with two lightsabres and a ridiculasly inflated ego?
 Kuuki
11-10-2004, 1:33 PM
Um, thats how all your characters are :P

j/k XD
 BattleDog
11-10-2004, 2:22 PM
No!

Flax is the classic Warrior Statesman, adept both on the field and in the Senate. He is also a deep thinker, a compassionate man. However he has a naturally violent temper which occasionally erupts.

Kal is the apprentice Jedi, any of his faults are a result of Deac's neglect. :D He is generally thoughtful and given to considered action, his brother thinks he is not decisive enough

Mirra Is the ideal noblewoman, kind compassionate, she can play the harp and the flute. She's still very young so she's not as asertive as she might be. She's also more than politically competant, although again because of her age and station its not that evident, yet.

Sophae is politically deadly and and if she hadn't married Flax at 19 she might have been a bit of a man eater. She knows she's gorgeous and she likes to pull men's stings a little from time to time.

Sellenna: She's politically deadly and she didn't marry Flax, or anyone else so she really enjoys wrapping men around her little finger, that said she doesn't exactly have a mile long list of lovers.

Dasken works, fights, does his laundry. He's a carier officer who started out as a pilot, went spook and is now a pilot again. He's not contrained by Jedi morals and he's willing to do what needs to be done. That said he's a good guy.

Allessa she comes from a culture where women are spoiled and being beutiful and marrying a handsome man are the two most impotant things in the universe. For some reason I can't fathom she's head over heals for Halren Flax (He's tall, so what?). She has a good heart but its burried under a fair bit of fluff.

Drago is a fanatically devoted warrior, he drinks, gambles and practices cutting the left wing off flys with his longsword. In PtH he still hasn't got his wife back so he dies of alchohol poisaning at every opertunity. In the Cantina he's concerend with keeping his hugely traumatised wife sane and helping her adapt to the wider galaxy, so he's off the source. He generally has good advice and he'll stay sober until you tell him he has a day off.

Hal, well; He's pretty screwed up in PtH, in the Cantina he's a combination of his two role models, his father and Drago.
 Admiral
11-10-2004, 2:26 PM
He will not be permanetly crippled.

using Hal as an example:

When the battle is over Hal has multiple shallow cuts to his arms, A cut on his thigh, and has a lot of bruses.

Maybe he has a bloody nose, a couple cuts on the face

He can walk off the field and will heal in a couple of days.
-----------------------------------------------

The reasons for this is that the numbers of the enemy army and the type of fighting dictate that one can't leave unscathed and a single shallow cut doesn't count.

Also the Aesir do not hate Hal (You will see..)
-------------------------------------------------------

WJ: That is something I think we can accomadate rather easily.
 Redwing
11-10-2004, 4:17 PM
Deac, I hope you're not planning on killing Orthos just because he died in Cantina. He's an interesting character! :D

Besides, the universe deals EVERYONE a death card...;)

BD: Hal is an interesting character, but he rarely acts very Jedilike. :D He's not quite a psychotic meathead, though ;)
 Kuuki
11-10-2004, 4:44 PM
*wonders if putting "j/k"'s and "XD"'s in posts actually means for someone to be taken more seriously*

WJ: Yeah, even I would have a Sith to play ^_^
 jokemaster
11-10-2004, 7:02 PM
WJ: Actually here anything less than a coma-inducing injury is minor.
 BattleDog
11-11-2004, 3:54 AM
He is getting better though, when he's not in the threads I have him in perminant therapy.

*Hal is sat on the counch while Freud sits in a comfy chair.*

Freud: Tell me about your mother.

Hal: She's dead.

Freud: Ah, then tell me about you father.

Hal: He's dead.

Freud: Ziss may take a vhile.

Actually I was planning on having his hield arm shattered by a Heloki.
 Redwing
11-11-2004, 11:55 AM
Well, wildjedi, now that I can actually answer your questions...:D

Originally posted by wildjedi
Am I right in thinking that somebody else will be controlling Darth Hellion? So therefore it would be that person's decision if Tanara wins... I can only defend her as best I can... BTW, she'll be loosing an arm if I have anything to say about it... her left arm. That's not a minor cut if you ask me!:p

Obviously, I will be. :D But it's not my decision, so to speak, as to who wins, or what actually happens. ^_~

Note, Misae will be much more powerful as a Sith than the group knew her as a Jedi. All that (hardly secret) anger, hatred, and lust for vengeance she's been carrying with her since the Holocaust...

Finally, for those introducing new characters, or family of new characters (;)), note that the current plan is that early next thread, the group is going to be crossing dimensions. (Not without a few stops first, though.) Also, there will be no several-month time skip between threads; just a day or so, this time. However, there may be a time skip of years involved near the middle/end of the thread, while in another dimension. Characters may or may not age in this time hiccup. This time skip may be as long as 18-19 years; anyone not with the group would be older by that number of years when the skip is over. This may affect people's future plans, and if that is going to be a problem then the skip can be delayed some time (even several threads, to put it near the end of the PtH chapters). The purpose of this skip is to leap over the twenty years required for the Holocaust timeline to end. (plus it's an interesting story idea.)

Just something to think about. :)

Also, everyone with their own story ideas may be interested to know that while I have (most of) the next PtH chapter planned out, (more details on this later), the chapter after that, Admiral and I have planned absolutely nothing for. :) (I have a couple ideas, but they could just be subplots.)
 BattleDog
11-11-2004, 2:50 PM
Hmmmmmmm, Allessa and Hal need to stay together.

I was going to have Drago and his two mates dropped off.

That is, of course, unless everyone votes that he's so cool he has to stay!:D

I have something that needs doing before any time skips, it will probably involve a two day jaunt, depending on how fast the Asgardried is.
 Admiral
11-11-2004, 6:42 PM
BD. The Asgardried is to put it simply the fastest ship in the galaxy. The Slipstream drive is far faster then hyperspace.

Doesn't mean that the ship will be going where you want though. ;)
 Writer
11-11-2004, 8:51 PM
I want Tanara's sister introduced before the time skip... she's gotta be younger than Tanara at all times... just gotta be that way, ok?:) Things won't work if it's not that way.
 Redwing
11-11-2004, 9:11 PM
BD. The Asgardried is to put it simply the fastest ship in the galaxy. The Slipstream drive is far faster then hyperspace.

Doesn't mean that the ship will be going where you want though. ;)

Not necessarily. Warp-space travel can be far faster. On the other hand it can be slower...it's less predictable. :)

BD: I think it could be really interesting if Drago stayed with the group, for the time being at least. :D

wildjedi: I figured as much, which is why I'm mentioning this now. (Maybe I ought to just put 'Do we time-skip now or later?' up to a vote next thread :D)
 Writer
11-11-2004, 9:34 PM
Red, the time skip doesn't have to be delayed long... just a few posts into the next chapter even... as long as it takes me to confirm that Tanara's sister (called Elaina, BTW) is going along with her sister... I've got a little plan for the two of them... if you want the details so you can plan it into the thread, PM me.
 BattleDog
11-12-2004, 4:38 AM
The problem is I have an army of what amounts to mad Saxo-Celtoi-Vikings. If I don't give them some leadership they'll, well..... Viking.
 Kuuki
11-12-2004, 10:34 AM
F***, let BD's forces join up with what remains of the Aesir forces for the duration of when the group is outside the dimension

IE: Drago and Allessa and Vidar (maybe??? i donno ^_^) come up with an agreement, due to the fact that the Sith armies are so large, and BD's and Admiral's armies basically have the same goal. reguardless of the situations, and/or opinions on how 'fit' each other's armies are (size and how trained they are...)

but thats just in my humble opinion
 Redwing
11-12-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by wildjedi
Red, the time skip doesn't have to be delayed long... just a few posts into the next chapter even... as long as it takes me to confirm that Tanara's sister (called Elaina, BTW) is going along with her sister... I've got a little plan for the two of them... if you want the details so you can plan it into the thread, PM me.

The time skip won't happen, if it does happen next thread, until at least midway through the plotline. I'm guessing you mean the dimension jump? :)

BD: Would that be such a bad thing? :)

("You've been viking again, haven't you? I can tell by your hat.")

Oh, and just so you know Scar, the remainder of the Aesir's forces will be going along with the group across dimensions at this point, subject to Admiral's final decision.
 Admiral
11-12-2004, 11:18 AM
BD: I wonder if Drago will remember what he told Vidar when he first arrived on the planet.

Scar: Only a handful of Aesir are going to survive the encounter, and they are staying on the Asgardried which will be crossing dimensions.

Side Note:
and going viking means going on a voyage nothing about raiding and plundering. Although I have to wonder why these goodguys would be plundering in the first place. ;)
 Redwing
11-12-2004, 11:33 AM
I know what it meant, I just don't understand why it's a bad thing for the story. This is about the end of the universe, and BD's forces will not survive it anyway. ;)
Page: 4 of 5