Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Imperial Walkers On The North Ridge

Page: 1 of 5
 darthVADER
07-31-2004, 7:40 PM
greetings
i planning on making a siege map and not jsut any siege map no
the actual battle of hoth ive already started on it and its looking good so far

i'll post screenshots tomorow when my compile is done
curently ive made a rough echo Base North Hanger wich i am still detailing, the snow field wich wil feature the snow speeder and at-at battle

also i'd like to ask tie fighter pilot if i can use his very good snow speeder vehicle and duncans amazing at-at vehicle

also if anyone knows how i can place these vehicles in a map it would be highly apriciated

screens are gonna come tomorow

:D
 lauser
08-01-2004, 12:56 AM
LOL! Good luck using an ATAT in your map. Snow speeders I can see. But make sure your map has minimal detail so you can ACTUALLY play the thing. I tried Duncans ATAT in a map big enough to handle it. I noticed some video lag and I only had the one ATAT in it. Duncan only has the BETA out. I think he gave up on the whole idea so it's still unfinished, although seems to work well. The battle of HOTH is just too unrealistic for a game engine such as this. Especially when it's not utilized to it's full potential. I'm doing the battle on Endor or Endor_offensive if you will. But my map only has one MAIN outside area and another small one. When the outside areas get too big, expect lag of some sort. If you plan on going ahead with this project, USE FOG as much as possible. It will help loads!
 darthVADER
08-01-2004, 4:46 AM
ive already tested my map with duncans at-at and with tie fighter pilots snow speeder and i can asure you its big enoegh for 4 at-at's and for a snow speeder to fly around them quite easy

and yes my map has fog in it but only for mood
the map compiled faster without them and also lag wasent an issue even without fog

so far the map is fairly stable and i know i dont have that good of a machine

i just need to know how to get those vehicles in my map via radiant
 darthVADER
08-01-2004, 7:35 AM
 Livingdeadjedi
08-01-2004, 7:45 AM
yeah ive tested this map with Alex and i get a full fps on my machine with no slowdown, even when we spawned 5 rancors 8 wampas and 12 reborns :D

lots of area outside to manouver you AT-AT :atat:
 darthVADER
08-01-2004, 7:14 PM
gues no one likes my idea:mad:
 Lil Killa
08-02-2004, 12:27 AM
Post things like the objects and maybe a few action shots....
 darthVADER
08-02-2004, 6:10 AM
ok wel i have tought up some objectives for the imperial and rebel side

imperials

1. Break through the main Rebel defense line.

2. Take out the shield generator so reenforcements can land.
(i wil have actual shuttle's landing with troops and in the final wave lord vader wil land)

3. secure the trenches

4. secure the command center

5.vader must survive

6. 2 at-at's must survive (out of 5)

7. prevent the remaining rebels from taking off in their last docked transport
(this can be achieved by ether destroying the transport or closing the hanger doors)

rebel

1. prevent imperial at-at's from breaking trough the defense line
(do this with snow speeders with actual tow cables;) )

2. defend the shield generator

3. prevent the imperials from overtaking the trenches

4. prevent te imperials from taking the command center

5. if all the above failed give the evacuation code signal from the secondary command center.

6. head for the last transport that is docked in the south hanger
(every one playing must be aboard for it to take off)

7. make sure all transports get out safely
(make sure they dont get shot down by enemy fire)

any sugestions on these objectives are welcome
 Livingdeadjedi
08-02-2004, 7:17 AM
this will be pretty cool, what with people in the trenches while atats walk towards them

i like the idea of keeping vader alive :D
 Zappa_0
08-02-2004, 9:05 AM
Sounds good and its looking awesome!
 Scouttrooper
08-02-2004, 11:58 AM
geweldig!! ;)

I tried a hoth level in the time I was trying things with mapping but it wasn't as good as this one! :)

I guess you'r also making that somesort of medical room and communication room in the base?
 darthVADER
08-02-2004, 12:39 PM
yeppers i have to make both hangers (north and south)
the one you see in the screens is the north hanger
the south wont be as detailed as that is gonna be since you only use the south one to escape if your a rebel

i finaly got vehicles in the game without crashing btw =]

if anyone has a blue print of the ewxact layout inside echo base can you please send it to havoc373@hotmail.com
 Livingdeadjedi
08-02-2004, 1:49 PM
yeah then hopefully he will send it to me after :D :p
 Scouttrooper
08-02-2004, 2:23 PM
:P If I'm right... I've got a blueprint of echo base but I have to scan it first then
I've no idea where it is right now,... I'll search for it right now ;)

I dunno if it is that detailed...
 Scouttrooper
08-02-2004, 2:35 PM
oh woow, what a stupid blueprint :D omg, its the hangar with some xwings standing in it and on the other side some snowspeeders..

not much detail, I dont think you need that ;)
 darthVADER
08-02-2004, 2:40 PM
nope i already have that
 darthVADER
08-02-2004, 4:43 PM
update

some action shots of the snow speeder and the new echo base north entrance

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=103080)

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=103081)
 tFighterPilot
08-03-2004, 7:20 PM
Me and alex had a blast dueling on Tauntauns and with Snow Speeder. I told him a lot of ideas but I pretty much forgot it all now :(
 darthVADER
08-04-2004, 4:32 AM
dont worry
i still know a few of them ;)
 mergatroid
08-05-2004, 11:43 AM
This map looks great! I've seen an other Hoth map being made but this one blows the other away! If you can pull this off, it will be better then Raven's siege maps.
 tFighterPilot
08-05-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by mergatroid
This map looks great! I've seen an other Hoth map being made but this one blows the other away! If you can pull this off, it will be better then Raven's siege maps. If he'll be able to put off everything he wants to do in this map, it will be better than everything
 darthVADER
08-05-2004, 1:04 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
its posts like that that give me the willpower to go on =]
 lauser
08-05-2004, 1:17 PM
LOLL! No wonder it doesn't lag guy...theres nothing in it!
If you leave it as it is then yes you might pull it off. Now add a bunch of vehicles to it and on top of that add 10 players. Now how does it play?

Hey if you can pull it off by all means do it. Looks good so far. See how far you can push the detail limit before she starts to lag. The map looks promising. Keep it up! :D
 lauser
08-05-2004, 1:20 PM
Originally posted by tFighterPilot
If he'll be able to put off everything he wants to do in this map, it will be better than everything

I have to agree. :D
 tFighterPilot
08-05-2004, 1:37 PM
Originally posted by darthVADER
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
its posts like that that give me the willpower to go on =] That's the idea.

When people try to do something very big, they usually quit in the middle. Heck, looks like even Clone Wars TC is dead, which is really ashame, cuz I love cel shading. I will not let give up. If you'll think to give up, I'll keep bugging you through MSN to keep on going :D
 darthVADER
08-05-2004, 3:21 PM

as a thanks for suprting me :D

a new screenshot update
tfighterpilot and myself flying around in snow speeders around the atatґs

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=103909)

the new maintenance bridge for the x wings
http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=103912)

i have added a new part to the hanger
http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=103915)

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=103916)

ATATґs lined up at their starting positions

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=103917)

wadda ya think?
 TK-8252
08-05-2004, 4:17 PM
Looks great! Finally a real Battle of Hoth Siege. :D

But who is going to code the tow cables? It would take hella coding to get functional tow cables to work. Also, it's important that you don't put too many Snowspeeders, or there won't be enough players to fight in the trenches. Me thinks ship-camping could get bad for that sort of thing...
 tFighterPilot
08-05-2004, 5:18 PM
Originally posted by TK-8252
Looks great! Finally a real Battle of Hoth Siege. :D

But who is going to code the tow cables? It would take hella coding to get functional tow cables to work. Also, it's important that you don't put too many Snowspeeders, or there won't be enough players to fight in the trenches. Me thinks ship-camping could get bad for that sort of thing... Apperntly, unique will do it. He's a coder for AOTCTC
 darthVADER
08-05-2004, 5:29 PM
the coding is being done by unique1 he has or is going to get some realy good rope code with rope that actualy bend and everything from someone (cant rmemeber the name)

about ship camping
it wil be like this some players wil spawn inside the hanger and some inside the trenches
btw the trenches are also manned by rebel npc's
and dont forget the rebel turrets
 lauser
08-05-2004, 7:54 PM
Man...I'm telling you, you are pushing the limits of a game engine that is not even utilized efficiently. Keep going. I want to test this badboy with 6 or 7 other players when you get all that coding done.
 tFighterPilot
08-05-2004, 7:59 PM
Originally posted by lauser
Man...I'm telling you, you are pushing the limits of a game engine that is not even utilized efficiently. Keep going. I want to test this badboy with 6 or 7 other players when you get all that coding done. Rogue Squadron had tow cable, heck, even Shadows of The Empire had them!
 lauser
08-06-2004, 2:48 AM
Same engine? Same M/P capabilities?
 darthVADER
08-06-2004, 3:14 AM
Same engine? Same M/P capabilities?

great way to spoil the moment

question: is it possible to make the blasters visible trough the fog??

cause right now when i'm firing the at-at's guns i dont see the lasers just the impacts
same goes for the snowspeeder's blasters

Btw
i think this map wil be pretty much able to handle what i have planned for it considering i spawn 30+ luke skywalkers and reborns and the map dropped from 30fps to 26 fps
 darthVADER
08-06-2004, 3:21 AM
30fps is avarage on my computer
 Alegis
08-06-2004, 5:43 AM
seems big, but it looks liek it will be a nice product, and oen where i can test tfighters airspeeder...
 darthVADER
08-06-2004, 6:37 AM
also note that tfighter's snow speeder is gonna be modified with new sounds and some other things aswel
 darthVADER
08-06-2004, 2:08 PM
time to feed the masses again with more screenshots

ive done some more detailing on the hanger

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=104752)

some early shots of the new coridors

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=104753)

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=104754)

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=104755)

enjoy
and yes i know the frame rate ahs dropped but thats because i ahevt added hint brushes and area portals to the new area's
 lauser
08-06-2004, 6:03 PM
HINT brushes yes...area_portals????

Are those platform bridge things ASE models? If they are not...they should be...WITHOUT autoclip.
 darthVADER
08-06-2004, 6:06 PM
why without autoclip if i may ask?

and no their not i dunno how to make .ase models if your willing to tell me i'll be more than happy to do it
 Eldritch
08-06-2004, 11:00 PM
Here you go - you can thank rgoer.

How to Make An ASE Model Out of Brushwork (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Q3Map2#Creating_an_.ase_model_out_of_brushwork)
 lauser
08-07-2004, 3:15 AM
Originally posted by darthVADER
why without autoclip if i may ask?

and no their not i dunno how to make .ase models if your willing to tell me i'll be more than happy to do it

1) Because autoclip is mainly for terrain and very large simple objects. Clipping complex objects will generate a TON of extra brushes you don't need in a map of that size. Just do a general clip of the model and that's good enough. You will never notice it ingame. Clip the railing properly yes, but the rest just do a general.

2) Copy this and paste it in notepad:

"C:\Program Files\GtkRadiant-1.4\q3map2.exe" -meta -patchmeta -subdivisions 4 -game ja "C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\base\maps\WHAT.map"
"C:\Program Files\GtkRadiant-1.4\q3map2.exe" -convert -format ase -game ja "C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\base\maps\WHAT.bsp"

Replace WHAT with the name of your mapfile.

Now save it as a batch file EX: q3mapase.bat
Put the batch file in the Radiant folder...or in Q3map2 folder if you have another build of the compiler.

And THIS (http://www.map-review.com/index.php?page=tutorial_view&id=29) is a way better tutorial. rgoer is one of those guys who explains things in a way that he assumes you know how most things are supposed to work. Mslafs tutorial is much easier to understand.

Oh! and just ignore the shader part and ignore the batch file he made. :D
 Pahricida
08-07-2004, 7:59 AM
ah nice just please don't abandon this project!

And I suggest you use a foghull or at least multi volume fog since that distance cull looks kinda stupid.

otherwise:

Really nice I've been waiting for this !
 darthVADER
08-07-2004, 8:08 AM
i know i have abandoned my other projects before but people didnt realy support me for that

what exactly do you mean by fog hull?
please explain any help is welcome

(and the fact that i mapped them poorly so i couldnt compile the lights)

i wil finish this project you have my word on it

P.S. if any has some good ref pics from inside echo base please feel free to post them
 darthVADER
08-07-2004, 6:16 PM
ok here's a new offer a beta test for someone who can get the hall models raven made to work in multiplayer note it has to be working for you to get the beta spot
 wedge2211
08-07-2004, 8:01 PM
And THIS (http://www.map-review.com/index.php?page=tutorial_view&id=29) is a way better tutorial. rgoer is one of those guys who explains things in a way that he assumes you know how most things are supposed to work. Mslafs tutorial is much easier to understand.
Mslaf's bad grammar aside, his tutorial actually has incorrect information in it! I would highly reccomend rgoer's tutorial...it doesn't have the unnecesary information mslaf's includes, and it's really really simple to understand--because making an ASE model is a really really simple process!
 lauser
08-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Hehe..that's why I took the best of both worlds and made my post there Wedge. Maybe we should do that. Make it simplified and easy for beginners and repost at map-review.

You know I just reread the tutorial Wedge. It seems it has been updated from the original. I didn't look at the tutorial for that specific reason. But it looks fine to me now other than having the -game ja in the command line.
 Eldritch
08-07-2004, 11:43 PM
For that tutorial, I think rgoer assumes that if you're advanced enough to know what an ASE model is, you should know enough technical terms to follow the tutorial.

Short, sweet, to the point, and most importantly -- accurate.
 Pahricida
08-08-2004, 10:27 AM
foghull ... like that:

http://shaderlab.com/mapcenter/q3map/foghull_01.jpg)

Instead of the normal distance cull it fades out in fog so you won't see a rapid end of the level. You can adjust the values to determine the distance the fog will start from. Plus it can improve performance since everything past the opaque border won't be rendered ...

Check this out:
http://www.shaderlab.com/q3map2/manual/foghull_guide.htm)

sorry but that's the only foghull tutorial I know in english language.
 darthVADER
08-08-2004, 2:30 PM
the link doesnt work
 tFighterPilot
08-08-2004, 2:38 PM
It does for me
Page: 1 of 5