Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

How to alter KotOR models

Page: 1 of 1
 Glamador
07-29-2004, 9:31 PM
i saw someone working on a sword model in Milkshape3D in another thread. i am rather good with milkshape and im wondering how one would go about altering a KotOR model in milkshape3d...
 svцsh
07-29-2004, 10:02 PM
You don't !

use gmax or 3dsmax only way to get model in the game and only items ex: swords, blasters, and masks as the skin mesh is still not quite right. oh and no new sabers yet either

you have to get nwnmax to get a file out of max or gmax ( free version of max and quite good, blows milk shape out of the water )

And you need mdlops to compile it to mdl and mdx for the game to read it

http://home.comcast.net/~cchargin/kotor/) mdlops web site

http://www.discreet.com/products/gmax/) gmax

http://nwmax.dladventures.com/) nwnmax

svцsh
 Glamador
07-29-2004, 11:53 PM
thnx alot, im used to HL modelling so i use milky but i know it suxs...i have a crack for 3dsmax but i cant get the actual software anywhere...o well...gmax it is then!
 Glamador
07-30-2004, 12:39 AM
ok, got gmax working...got n_calonord.mdl and n_calonord.mdx in an isolated folder...i open up gmax with NwNmax plugin...i try to use NwNmax to load the .mdl...no dice...wtf
 TemporaryTomato
07-30-2004, 6:30 AM
That sword model would be mine...:p

You can open kotor models in milkshape, just import them into gmax or 3dsmax and save them as .3ds files. Then import into milky.:)

I use it because I can't figure out the interface of the more advanced progs yet, since I'm still learning.

And you need to convert the models before you can import them with nwnmax.
Use a program called mdlops.(like svцsh said)
:darthx
 x8c4
07-30-2004, 9:20 AM
Hello Glamador

Here is what you can do :

Extract the mdl and the mdx files of the 3d model you want to view into the mdlops 0.1 or 0.2 directory.

Then open mdlops, select your file, and click on ‘read model’, a text file will appear in this directory, it contains the names of the textures needed for the model.

You will find them in erf -> texturespacks -> swpc_tex_tpa if you want large textures, b if you want medium ones, or c if you want small ones, and extract them in the same directory as before.

Open mdlops again, select your file and click on ‘read and write model', then you will have a model-ascii.mdl which is importable by nwmax.

When you double click on nwmax, you will have a panel on the left, in the mdl loading section, you will be able to select your file by clicking on browse, then click on import. Don’t forget to have the model-ascii.mdl and the textures in the same directoryif you want to see your model textured.

I hope it helps, tell me if it works or not
 brwarner
05-09-2005, 5:38 PM
I have done everything above and now want to export the file back into the game but whenever i hit export all it says "error skin detected" and it doesnt export.
Page: 1 of 1