Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Need help in X Wing 95

Page: 1 of 1
 SD Nihil
07-29-2004, 12:07 PM
I need some help guys. I am stuck on this one mission in X Wing 95. It's the one on the 4th Tour, Imperial Pursuit. The mission is called Destroy Comsat. I hate mine missions. I can't beat the darn thing. Those GUN's keep killing me and I can't get about 3 mines without getting badly damaged. Please help.
 Wildstar
07-30-2004, 4:20 PM
Hey Jeff

You actually have a choice of whether you want to try the "A" mission or the "B" mission for this one. In my experience, the "A" mission is actually easier despite there being more mines in the mission...the mines are really the only thing you have to deal with. If you insist on doing the "B" mission, though, here's what you do (courtesy of the Morning Star TacOp library):

First thing you want to do is dump your warheads into one of the Corvettes to give the Y-wings a better chance at the other one, then move in and weave around the mines until you get to the Com-Sat. Have your ELS at 75/75* and your lasers linked in quad mode for better chance of hitting the mines. Destroy the Com-Sat first and then finish off the mines that are in the area. A third Corvette will jump into the area, as well as a total of nine Assault Gunboats; take them all out if you want to, but you don't have to.

Feel free to visit the TacOp library if you're stuck on other missions (use the link to the Morning Star site in my signature; find the "Tactical" section). ;)

*set both lasers and shields for "increased" recharge
 SD Nihil
07-30-2004, 9:29 PM
Tried that those GUN's keep following me and fireing missiles while I'm in the mine field. I try killing all of them after the torpedo dump into the corvette, but they keep shooting me down.
 Wildstar
07-31-2004, 2:19 PM
Jeff

Like I said, take the "A" mission. It's easier. ;)
 SD Nihil
07-31-2004, 6:58 PM
Well which one is the one where you get the Shield of Yavin. I noticed once you get to a mission where you have a choice of A or B that usually if you choose the right one you get a big medal. Is Mission A that one?

Update: Tried Mission A. I stop before the mines charge up while firing the torpedos when I get a red lock. I then went in. I can only shoot about 5 or 6 with lasers before I have to retreat back and I usually get hit bad. After 2 times of going in again I can only get 1 each. Then Pleah 1 comes and gets destroyed. I can't beat this. It's really hard. Is there some way of skipping it or making these things less accurate? I can weave, but I obviously stink at this. That walkthrough on A makes it sound so easy finish off the mines. It's not. And what's this in the hints area about make it lowest detail in this mission? I need help here.
 Wildstar
08-01-2004, 2:06 PM
Jeff

I thought the Shield of Yavin was the medal awarded upon completion of the "Imperial Pursuit" Tour of Duty.

You can improve your accuracy in hitting mines by flying X-Wing Historical Combat Simulation #3 (the "Satellites Near Coruscant" mission) over and over again, with the goal of completing the mission in the least possible time. This is called "mineracing", and your score is not the actual debriefing score, but the amount of time left on the mission clock when you destroy the last object. A good pilot should be able to finish the mission w/ at least 7:00 left, and the CIS Alliance's official record for the mission is 7:36, set by Vince "Stryker" Rambo, a former Rogue Leader.

I don't know if XW95 kept the film room in, but you can also record the mission using a utility that records what happens in DirectX to a movie and use that to analyze your performance. And, of course, if you should happen to beat 7:36, we'd like to see it.
 SD Nihil
08-15-2004, 3:39 PM
Now I know this sounds like the answer you would not like to hear, but I just cannot beat that mission. Am I able to just remove it and keep it in a seperate area and be able to get to the next mission? And am I right in knowing that the 2 files are called T4M08XMB.XWI and T4M08YMA.BRF?
 Wildstar
08-15-2004, 3:52 PM
Jeff

Here's another hint you can use to beat the "A" mission: Start on the left side of the minefield...the field seems to be less dense in that area.
 SD Nihil
08-15-2004, 9:48 PM
Well let me just say I never beat a mine mission ever. Even that historical X Wing 3 mission I had to use a game save editor to skip it because i just can't do those type of missions. I also tried your tip. I still die. Is there some way since I cannot find a save editor for this version of the game, to skip this mission? Is it as simple as pulling out a few files or what do I need to do. I think these type of missions the mines suck. I can star fight, heck I beat Tie Fighter as a General and I am the Emperor's Hand in the Secret Order so it's not like I stink or anything it's just that I just cannot do these mine missions. Is there some files or something I can do to skip this darn awful mission please?
 Wildstar
08-16-2004, 3:38 PM
Jeff

I don't know if there's anything you can do other than hack the pilot file, which I've never tried to do.

I have a TacOp from the original CRS Liberty site (Rogue Squadron's former home) about mineracing which covered general minesweeping tactics. I saw this in my early days w/ the X-Wing games and found it to be very helpful. If you'll PM me w/ your email address, I'll send it to you.
 Nairb Notneb
09-01-2004, 3:11 AM
RA-Jeff, have yo beat that level? Don't give up man! The Force is with you!. I can feel it!
Page: 1 of 1