Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Book Recommendation

Page: 1 of 2
 yaebginn
07-13-2004, 10:27 PM
Recommend your favorite book(s) so all of us can enjoy. No Star wars books.

Visions from a Foxhole- a WWII book I'm currently reading. It's very good and is written by a rifleman in the 94th Infantry Division. It's good.
 ET Warrior
07-14-2004, 3:22 AM
Enders Game, and all sequels. Fantastic books by Orson Scott Card.

Timeline by Michael Crichton - My Favorite book ever.

The Icarus Hunt by Timothy Zahn - also a great story

Harry Potter series - You can drop dead if you want to bash on it for being a "kiddie" book. This is an amazing story and you're a fool if you deprive yourself of it.
 Alegis
07-14-2004, 8:41 AM
Robert Ludlum - The bourne saga (identity,supremacy,ultimatum)

(bear in mind that the movie has nothing to do with the books. Yes you heard me. Big dissapointment)

Alistair MacLean - The satan bug
The last frontier
Athabasca

(only books ive read of him as of today so you'll might to try any alistair maclean :p)
 Doomie
07-14-2004, 9:03 AM
All stuff by tolkien.

Some stuff by Tom Clancy. I'm not gonna type it all out, since you know what tolkien wrote and i forgot what Clancy all wrote, but they're pretty good authors.

Also, i agree with Harry Potter. I read them all. People who think they are boring are probably outcast that have soemthing against popular thing and necissarily don't want to ahve anything to do with it.

Oh, and i also recommend Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer.
 B1GC
07-14-2004, 10:26 AM
Anne McCaffery: Freedom's Landing
Freedom's Choice
Freedom's Challenge

trilogy, start with the first and go down....very addicitng about a girl with a group of humans who have been captured by aliens and then are placed on a far off planet and begin to start a new civilization with the few tools they have until the eventualy become powerful enough to take over their captive
 VanLingo
07-14-2004, 11:28 AM
The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum (haven't read the others yet)

Jurassic Park and The Lost World by Michael Crichton (much more detailed and way better than the movies)
The Great Train Robbery and Congo, also by Michael Crichton

The Client by John Grisham

Dune by Frank Herbert
 yaebginn
07-14-2004, 12:49 PM
Thanx ya'll.

Armor by John Steakly(sp? there might be another e in there) It's like Starship Troopers but written like a book and better.

Tex by S.E. Hinton
and all other SE Hinton books.
 Jed
07-14-2004, 7:08 PM
The Foundation Series, includes 6 books, by Isaac Asimov. I, Robot is good too, and has just about nothing to do with the movie that will soon disgrace the book's name...
 Xirion
07-15-2004, 6:15 AM
I agree with Lingo on Jurassic Park and Lost World good stuff!
Timeline was average enjoyed his other works more!

Mystic River! top read!

LOTR!!! w00tage!
 yaebginn
08-01-2004, 1:24 AM
cool, thanx guys. I'm about to read an Aerosmith book called Walk This Way, I'll tell u about it when I finsih.
 DarthDurp
08-01-2004, 3:20 AM
This may seem weird because i'm only 15 years old but here's my list.

The Great Gatsby - the greatest love story of all time

Daisy Miller - great read

Tale of Two Cities - outstanding message

A World Lit Only By Fire - My religious views

War and Peace - those crazy russians

Anthem - why communism sucks

Canterbury Tales - really, really old, but great

My Life (Bill Clinton) - I know many of you hate him, but it's a great read

To Kill A Mocking Bird - of course
 SkinWalker
08-01-2004, 3:33 AM
I've never been able to bring myself to read War and Peace.

But the rest rock. I think I've read all except Anthem, and [A World...[/i]

I didn't like Daisy Miller, but I think its mostly because I'm biased against Henry James... He's far too boring and was very critical of Mark Twain (basically saying that history would never remember his "new style of literature." How wrong he was!).

My recommendations:

The Demon-Haunted World by Carl Sagan.

How to Think Like Leonardo da Vinci by Michael J. Gelb

"What Do You Care What People Think?" by Richard Feynman

The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins

I'm currently reading A Devil's Chaplain by Dawkins.

It's been a while since I read any good fiction (though I did read Go Dog, Go by Dr. Seuss to my daughter the other day), but I'm thinking of re-reading Moby Dick.
 yaebginn
08-01-2004, 1:45 PM
Moby ick was good, but the whole long bit about whale was boring as mess. It seemed to me that he just did it to prove he knew about whales. It was good, I enjoyed it.
 yaebginn
08-07-2004, 7:15 PM
bump, and oh, I started Icaris Hunt, I'm when they get to that one planet and cant land, right after they find the truth about tera. its awesome, so far. man, it took a chapter to get into it, but now that I am into it, its hard to put it down. good recommnedation u guys. I also rented Tiemline, and Prey both by Micahel Crichton.(sp)
 ET Warrior
08-07-2004, 8:09 PM
Michael Crichton is a fantastic author, and Timeline and Prey are both Fantastic.

Just wait till the end of Icarus Hunt Yaeb, you'll be like this :eek:
 yaebginn
08-09-2004, 1:20 PM
wow, I finioshed it last night. wow. I had to reread the last page or two to make sure I didnt read it wrong. that was a real good book. probably my fav Zahn book, maybe second fav, I dunno. I'm starting timeline now, I saw the movie, and maybe I can read it faster, cause I can understand it better.
 BobafettMunchie
08-09-2004, 7:39 PM
:fett: Everything by R.A. Salvatore is the best! You all should read The Icewindale Trilogy! It's a really great book.:fett:
 thejeditraitor
08-09-2004, 7:55 PM
all H.P. Lovecraft! and anything related to the Cthulhu Mythos.

all Robert E. Howard!(creator of conan)

Karl Edward Wagners' Kane stories
 yaebginn
08-10-2004, 6:46 PM
thanx, man, Timeline is way diferent then the movie! I mean, for one, Chris isnt the Proffesors real son in the book, and the whole jousting thing wasnt in the film. The book is way better.
 ET Warrior
08-10-2004, 8:23 PM
Timeline the book is infinitely better than the movie. :dozey:
 yaebginn
08-10-2004, 8:29 PM
yeah, I am flying through the pages. I mean, I'll probly finish it 2morrow, and I satrted sunday. I have to finsh timeline and prey by saturday. It truly is a great book. I think its best to see the movie, then read the book, cause if u read thew book first, u will hate the movie, cause its so different. I thought the movie is ok, but the book is way better, they explain everytihng way more. and while some movies based on books just cut things out, the Timeline movie makes up new things altogether.
 Virtuosis
08-10-2004, 8:35 PM
Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk

also the Ender's Game series is awesome..
 ET Warrior
08-11-2004, 2:11 AM
Originally posted by Virtuosis
also the Ender's Game series is awesome..

Have you also read the Ender's Shadow parallel series? I've only read two of the three book so far, but they're so ridiculously good it makes me weep :)
 Virtuosis
08-11-2004, 10:19 AM
I only read the first book, kind of lost interest after that. But I've heard really good things about it. Maybe I'll pick it up in the future.
 obaraljamar
08-12-2004, 12:50 AM
The Stand - gotta be Stephen King's best

The Great Divorce - C.S. Lewis doing his thing

Catcher in the Rye - just beautiful

Catch-22 - woo! war satire here we come

How to Lie With Statistics - this was written in the like the 50s and people still dont realize that they're being tricked by numbers

thats enough for now
-Z
 Revlt Coranier
08-12-2004, 3:47 PM
Stupid White Men by Michael Moore
All the Calvin and Hobbes books by Bill Watterson
A Brief History of Time: From the Big Bang to Black Holes by Stephen Hawking
The Hole in the Universe by K.C. Cole
The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
The Feynman Processor by Gerard J. Milburn
The Road to Arnhem by Donald R. Burgett
Absolute Beginner's Guide to C by Greg Perry
The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
The Rogue Rogue by me!

I'll post more later
 ckcsaber
08-12-2004, 4:06 PM
The last book I really enjoyed was "A Confederecy of Dunces". The book is down-righ hillarious. I really recommend it if you want to read something that is not so main-stream.

"The Life of Pi" is a great book I just read it about a month ago. It deals with a persons faith and relationship with God during a horrible shipwreck, and its after-math. It is a survivor story, but it is done very differently. It is a fairly quick read.
 Fiat_Voluntas_T
08-12-2004, 4:11 PM
I enjoy the classic...Cat's Craddle.

and everyone should read Mere Christianity even if you are atheist.

Ave Maria,

Andy
 obaraljamar
08-12-2004, 7:00 PM
Originally posted by Fiat_Voluntas_T

and everyone should read Mere Christianity even if you are atheist.

Ah another C.S. Lewis doing his thing book, that man was a genius

-Z
 yaebginn
08-12-2004, 7:04 PM
Yeah he was good friends with Tolkien, too. Tolkien actually brought Lewis to Christ. a litle fun fact. I may read stupid white men just for laughs, but probably not. Yeah, the outsiders rocked, Se hinton is/was a great author. Her books are really short, though.
 Revlt Coranier
08-13-2004, 2:27 AM
Before reading the Outsiders, I had never heard of a greaser. Reading that book, when she described the greasers, it was like she was describing me. Except I don't have a bad home life. So now I can put myself in a class. Greaser :D
 yaebginn
08-14-2004, 10:25 PM
lol. yeah shes a real good author. Outsiders was good. all her books are sad, though. That was then this is now was the saddest, IMO.
 Evil Dark Jedi
08-14-2004, 11:06 PM
The Dhamon Series:Betrayal
Harry Potter Series.

Hmmmm can think of any others right now
 yaebginn
08-14-2004, 11:12 PM
I shall never read Harry Potter, but the others, I';ll check out the others next time I go to the library.
 tFighterPilot
08-15-2004, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by yaebginn
I shall never read Harry Potter, but the others, I';ll check out the others next time I go to the library. So you're gonna prejudice this like you prejudice everything else? :rolleyes:
 yaebginn
08-15-2004, 10:27 AM
If I know a cookie tastes bad, I wont eat it. same with this.
 Jaden Malip
08-15-2004, 10:31 AM
Some people don't like Harry Potter, so what?

I've just finished a book called Digital Fortress by Dan Brown. I won't give anything away but its about the NSA and one massive country threatening virus.
 tFighterPilot
08-15-2004, 10:58 AM
If I know a cookie tastes bad, I wont eat it. same with this. And how do you know the cookie is bad? The trouble is that if you eat the cookie, you'll eat it thinking it's bad, which really gonna make it taste bad. Or maybe it will make it taste even better.
 yaebginn
08-15-2004, 12:38 PM
I have no interest in reading...Catwoman the novel. it just doesnt interest me. same with harry potter. the stoty doesnt interest me. it may be good to some, but the stroy doesnt sound interesting. and the cookie is bad cause you can see whats in it. Like, if I am biting into a cookie and see it is made of beans. I dont like beans, so I wouldnt eat it. if someone who liked beans said it was good, good for them. and lets not turn this into a harry potter debate, please. it seems all my threads are now debates.
 tFighterPilot
08-15-2004, 12:47 PM
But you didn't even bite the cookie, I bet you haven't even seen it! You just heard about the cookie!

Man, I'm getting hungry
 yaebginn
08-15-2004, 12:50 PM
lol, same here I'm gonna get some soup
 tFighterPilot
08-15-2004, 1:20 PM
I ate some spaghetti with meat, now I'm stuffed.
 yaebginn
08-15-2004, 1:23 PM
wow, this thread has gotten waaay off topic.
 tFighterPilot
08-15-2004, 2:04 PM
Before you know it we will start debating about religion :D
 Virtuosis
08-16-2004, 12:47 AM
Well this is the "off-topic" forum, what do you expect to happen. Ahhh, bad joke. Sorry! :cool:
 yaebginn
08-16-2004, 12:49 AM
btw finsihed prey. it was pretty good, but timeline was better.
 ET Warrior
08-16-2004, 3:20 AM
btw finsihed prey. it was pretty good, but timeline was better.

*attempts to maintain on-topic-ness*

Agreed, Prey doesn't even come close to being as good as timeline, though it's still a fantastic book.

And as for your Harry potter debacle..
Originally posted by me
Harry Potter series - You can drop dead if you want to bash on it for being a "kiddie" book. This is an amazing story and you're a fool if you deprive yourself of it.
And I, of all people in the world, am the person to listen to about reading Harry Potter. Because I used to be one of the people who said, "no, I'm never going to read it because it sounds stupid and the movies were dumb"

I refused to read them for so long, they just weren't for me.

But finally my family convinced me to give it a try, and I read the first 4 books in one week. They are FANTASTIC stories, well written, and VERY easy to read.

You are, in fact, a fool to not even give them a chance.

dont bash it unless you've finished it.
That's from the NJO thread....kind of applies to the Harry potter series aswell neh? :xp:
 tFighterPilot
08-16-2004, 3:27 AM
What about the 5th one?

Anyway, if you read it, read it in the british version. Why are there two versions anyway? Are americans so stupid that they can't read british english? :rolleyes:

Yeah, the movies suck
 ET Warrior
08-16-2004, 3:40 AM
I read the 5th on in a day, but I read the first 4 before the 5th had come out ;)

We have trouble with British English because all y'all have such strange phrases that hold no meaning in America. Phrases like 'taking the mickey' means nothing to Americans. ;)
 yaebginn
08-16-2004, 10:19 AM
I ahvent bashed HP, though. I may read the first one, just to check it. maybe later. Is the Great Train Robbery any Good? cause they had that there, too under Crichton. Hes a great author, now one of my favs.
Page: 1 of 2