Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Need some help with X Wing

Page: 1 of 1
 SD Nihil
07-07-2004, 4:44 PM
I realize this is the section of the forum most reserved for X Wing vs. Tie Fighter, but maybe you can help me with a problem I am having in X Wing Collector's CD ROM. As you know there are sometimes a few missions that are a little too hard to beat. I've tried to skip levels by using a hex editor. Even though I edited my pilot file it didn't work. I then tried looking for game save editors. I could only find one for the original X Wing. Not the collector's CD which I need. Although it did help a lot, it did not help with anything past Tour 3 (Tour 4 and 5 which has to do with B Wing and Imperial Pursuit). Can someone direct me to a game save editor for the Collector's CD ROM?

Oh if anyone wants to know where to download the game save editor I just mentioned just go here: http://cd.textfiles.com/tothemaxpcg/HELP/XEDIT12C.ZIP)

Also I heard you guys seem to have problems getting these older games to work. I have the perfect solution for you guys if I may: http://vogons.zetafleet.com/ndldownload.php?filename=VDMSound2.1.0.exe) This is such a neat little program. Games like X Wing can be very particular in what they need to run. Like for example they need a certain amount of EMS Memory or something that is no longer needed in recent computers of today. This program acts like an older computer that can adapt that older game to your newer computer. However it's like an empty computer so all you got to do tell it what you want to run from "your" computer. If your thinking right now that this program sounds like it's going to be a little too complex to use. Na. Let me break it down for ya. In my case I have X Wing that came from a CD. Here's what I typed into this program to get the game to work.

mount c c:\xwingcd

mount e e:\ -t cdrom

c:

bwing.exe

Let me explain what the above means. Remember I said this program is like a brand new older computer. An empty shell with nothing in it. Well the way to get stuff in is to mount it in there. So say your game is located on your hard drive like mine, you just put mount c for your c drive then the directory of the game. Now as you know the X Wing CD ROM game runs partly off of the disk it came from. So mount that too. The -t above simply means it's a removable disk. And of course the cdrom means duh it's a CD ROM disk. If you were say putting in a game that came from a Floppy you would put mount a a:\ -t floppy. You get it? Now that your game is in all that's left is to play it. So type C: or whatever drive your game is installed on then type in the command you use to enter your game. For X Wing surprisingly you put in bwing.exe not xwing.exe. Bam X Wing works. Just press ALT Enter for full screen view.

Want to skip having to do all of this each time. When you go to this program on your computer just below the program is something called DOSBox.conf Just go to the very bottom of the file below where it says:

[autoexec]# Lines in this section will be run at startup.

Now put in everything you used to get to the game. Now all you have to do is just go to that program and it does it all for you each time. Now all you got to worry about is how to beat the game.
 Wildstar
07-08-2004, 1:56 PM
I don't know about save game (pilot file) editors for the XWCS format, but I know where you can get help w/ missions, so you can beat them legitimately. Just follow the first link in my signature, head over to "Tactical", then find the TacOp for the mission you need (should be in the "Tour of Duty" section unless I miss my guess).

Hope this helps. :)
 SD Nihil
07-09-2004, 4:23 PM
Thank you. I will check these and see if they work.
 Nairb Notneb
09-01-2004, 3:50 AM
Wouldn't be more "fun" and sporting to beat the game as opposed to "cheat" the game? I can understand messing around with the game after beating it just to see what can be done and to have fun with it, I've done that with several games. But I always want to really beat the game on my own.
Page: 1 of 1