Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Am I evil?

Page: 1 of 1
 darthmikeyd
07-06-2004, 11:50 AM
Lets forget for a minute that Grip is a darkside force power, and consider something. If I use force grip to pick up someone and drop them over the edge of a building or a cliff, does that make me evil? I will sometimes do this if I am facing mare then one dark force jedi. It is just an easy way to get rid of at least one of them to make the fight one on one.

Along those lines, if there are a group of stormtroopers close to the edge of a building or cliff, I will use force push to push them all off so I don't have to worry about them. It is just easier then taking them all out one at a time, not that it is a problem. Either way, they all end up dead anyway. I was just wondering what everyone thought.
 Tinny
07-06-2004, 12:01 PM
different parts of the force tend to reflect the personality of the jedi, but like kyle said its not which powers you use, but how you use them :)
 Kurgan
07-06-2004, 12:31 PM
If you look at the Jedi like policemen (which they are, according to the prequels, at least originally), then I'd look at it this way.

There's such a thing as "police brutality" and "excessive force."

Now I'm not sure what the New Republic's laws are on this, but the Jedi Order IS subject to their authority, according to everything I've read (though I hear in the much maligned NJO series the Jedi "refuse to fight" or some other such nonesense, which I guess would be akin to the LAPD or the National Guard going on strike during a war or major civil crises).

Just as police have rules they have to follow about protecting the rights of suspects, so to do the Jedi.

Now granted, there is no "option" in the game to arrest or capture any of these combatants, and its a game with programming & budgetary limitations, etc.

So we could say that excessive "torture" (shall we say) of enemies in combat would be against the rules.

So a "good" Jedi would dispatch only enemies he needs to kill and do so in a manner that is the most efficient and causes the least suffering. So if he decapitates an enemy, that's better than slowly choking him over a cliff then dropping him hundreds of stories to his death below.

In the game itself of course, your actions are completely ignored except one particular action near the end of the game (won't mention the spoiler here). So Luke doesn't care what you do, neither does Kyle, so long as you don't kill the "wrong" people (ie: whatever friendly NPC is following you on the particular mission).

But, even soldiers have ROE (Rules of Engagement).

So it would depend really on what the New Republic's rules are setup for Jedi.

As far as personal morality is concerned, a person might believe that killing ANYONE is unacceptable, except in self defense or where there is no other option to save innocents. And with a Jedi's power, they have many many options open to them to solve problems without necessarily having to resort to killing.

We see Jedi do a lot of killing in the movies, without a whole lot of explanation of the Jedi morality behind it, but I'm sure they have their own beliefs too.

One could take the somewhat machiavellian approach (though this isn't out of character with many modern religious interpretations of Just War or Jihad, statements in the Bhagavad Gita, etc), that as long as a person doesn't GIVE IN TO HATE when fighting a defensive war, they can do their "duty" without committing sin/aquiring negative karma. Of course there are also people within those same religions who would reject this idea.

So from one interpretation, as long as the Jedi aren't enjoying it and getting mad and hateful, taking pleasure in killing, they can kill all they want to in their job. Others would see this as making them "cold blooded killers" with no sense of remorse. But if you view the Darkside as merely being "negative emotions" then that is one possible interpretation.

If we view the Dark/Light as being "on the side of right" then that muddies the waters. For example, does this mean that a Dark Side user could use his powers on the side of good? Could Sith and Jedi fight together against a common foe, using their chosen powers in whatever way they deemed necessary?

When the Jedi were fighting and dying for Palpatine in his contrived war, were they fighting for the Dark Side? Etc.
 sora
07-06-2004, 1:38 PM
i like dropping people off cliffs using push, pull or grip. it gives me that hahaha feeling. like if someone is pissing you off by say one of those dark force users, you know the ones that also push and grip at you when your trying to kill a guy with a lightsaber.they piss me off. also do what you seem is right to you. if you feel like push a guy off a cliff then do so. if you dont, dont. i like to listen to them sream all the way till i hear a thud.
 Prime
07-06-2004, 3:13 PM
Originally posted by darthmikeyd
Lets forget for a minute that Grip is a darkside force power, and consider something. If I use force grip to pick up someone and drop them over the edge of a building or a cliff, does that make me evil? Nope, it makes you an upstanding individual whose consideration of the feelings of others is above reproach. :)

It doesn't make you good, that's for sure.
 CortoCG
07-07-2004, 8:17 AM
If I use force grip to pick up someone and drop them over the edge of a building or a cliff, does that make me evil?

Omg, dude can you really do that? I mean, that's actually... is not evil, it's amazing :p. Just kidding.
Making your evil fantansies or worst perversities come true in a game does not make you evil, or a pervert. In fact, releasing stress and malice on a game could help you a lot in real life.
 Slider744
07-07-2004, 8:32 AM
on my server JA+ official i always tolerate that on the map there is a ""real ffa"" zone where all is permited...

and also another zone more for honour guy with chat, duel, or role play.....emot...etc....

but i don't tolerate that player from the real ffa zone come in ""honour zone" to make easy kills with read dfa for example coming from behind you...

it seems to work fine like that ....
all player can have the way they want to play
i always encourage server owners to create this kind of servers

because beeing all the time in honour is annoying
and beeing all the time in "real ffa style" is alos annoying ....

it seems that people on my server like the possibitlity of going from one zone to another with different style of gameplay...
 CortoCG
07-07-2004, 8:40 AM
on my server JA+ official i always tolerate that on the map there is a ""real ffa"" zone where all is permited...

You never get tired of shameless self promotion, do you? This thread is about that poor guy who's concerned about him being evil or not.
 keshire
07-07-2004, 8:46 AM
Kurgan, your trying to confuse me aren't you?

http://www.nd.edu/~aford/princessbride/westleycling.jpg)

Well it won't work.
 CortoCG
07-07-2004, 8:53 AM
My name is Inigo Montoya!... never mind, lol.
 Slider744
07-07-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by CortoCG
This thread is about that poor guy who's concerned about him being evil or not.

this is not the good question
there is no evil and no good

there is just various style of wish of playing the game
and it is nice to have both on a the same server in order to fight against monotony
 CortoCG
07-07-2004, 11:26 AM
Allright allright, I give up :p.
 AJL
07-07-2004, 1:07 PM
Most powers are "neutral" and it is just the way how you use
them... But some others are definitely just Dark side Powers...
like Force Lightning...

And I think Jedi Knight games have too many different kind of
force powers... (There should be many but they should be all
different variations of few main powers...) And force powers
are overused... They are too simple...
 Kurgan
07-13-2004, 4:40 AM
Okay, fine, you got me there. Doing something "evil" in a video game doesn't necessarily make you evil in real life.

Foiled again!
 <-KRT->Dhart
07-13-2004, 7:44 AM
It's a game. Use what works and have fun doing it.

As far as grip being evil....

In ROTJ, Luke waved his hands at the Gammorean guards in Jabba's palace and they grabbed their throats like they were being gripped/choked. Was Luke evil for doing that?

Simple matter of opinion.
 Rumor
07-13-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by AJL
Most powers are "neutral" and it is just the way how you use
them... But some others are definitely just Dark side Powers...
like Force Lightning...

And I think Jedi Knight games have too many different kind of
force powers... (There should be many but they should be all
different variations of few main powers...) And force powers
are overused... They are too simple...

uh.... :rolleyes:
 acdcfanbill
07-14-2004, 10:03 AM
you ppl talk like being evil in real life is a bad thing :)
 Emperor Pangasa
07-21-2004, 3:40 AM
I have to agree with Dhart, Luke did use force grip when he killed those two gammorean guards, what he did was not evil, it was a matter of defense. As for force lightning, it is no secret the Kyle Katarn uses it, and that does not make him evil. Attacking a helpless individual with lightning is evil, however using at as an assaultive power against enemies is no big deal. Moreover, force drain is definitely evil becuase you are sucking the life out of individual. :emperor: :lightning
 AJL
07-21-2004, 7:59 AM
Originally posted by <-KRT->Dhart
In ROTJ, Luke waved his hands at the Gammorean guards in Jabba's palace and they grabbed their throats like they were being gripped/choked. Was Luke evil for doing that?

I don't think doing that makes him immediately evil guy but
anyway he used his power to crush his enemy which i think
is against the ways of the jedi...
(or old style jedi... how much did Luke learn about the jedi
ways before Obi and Yoda died... ? not much I think...)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you guys remember did any JEDI (not Luke) ever use
any "harmful" force directly against some living entity ??

I don't think they did... (They didn't push anyone, they
didn't strangle anyone, they didn't slam peoples on the
walls and such, they didn't use lightning...) I think the
only way they used force directly on living things was
in the Mind tricks...

Anakin used force against some guys (he throw stuff at
them using the force but he never attacked directly with
the force...)

AND didn't Yoda say in EP5 that jedi must Never use
force to attack...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Mono_Giganto
07-27-2004, 5:44 PM
Well if you consider droids to be alive, Qui Gon push-spammed a few battle droids in EP1. :D
 AJL
07-27-2004, 7:11 PM
Originally posted by Mono_Giganto
Well if you consider droids to be alive, Qui Gon push-spammed a few battle droids in EP1. :D

Yes they often use force on droids and such... but they ARE
NOT alive, they don't feel pain, they don't think, they are just
machines which follow their programming...
 90SK
07-29-2004, 11:23 PM
True but sometimes droids/robots develop personalities of thier own, thus making them more human...:greedo:...or whatever. Consider C-3P0. He is always screaming and whatnot. Still, battle droids dont really count I guess. They are all like "roger roger" and such.
 LightNinja
07-30-2004, 9:15 AM
ya, c3po developed too much its personality and he turned gay (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131041).
And thats Нсigo Montoya [(tu mataste a mi padre, preparate a morir...)] not Inigo lol =p
 Master Ramathor
08-01-2004, 4:29 PM
no, you are evil (in my eyes) if you kill those darkside jedi by holding them above a cliff or something and let them use push to get free; they killed themself:D

thats how i do it!
 El Sitherino
08-01-2004, 8:38 PM
long lived thread but anyway, I say stop with the force power to make it one on one and take em all on at the same time. What I like to do is take on about 4 or 5 and see if I come out a live.
Page: 1 of 1