Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

new to the game

Page: 1 of 1
 jedikumite'
05-20-2004, 7:25 PM
I am new to online gaming. My son and I would like to get started. Could some one help me...
 TK-8252
05-20-2004, 8:01 PM
If you're that lost, I don't think anyone can really help you. Read the Jedi Academy manual I suggest. It has a lot of information about multiplayer connecting, server settings, etc.
 Sam Fisher
05-20-2004, 9:05 PM
Cool, a dad wants to get on :) Well, its all practice I believe, Just get used to the sabers/ force powers in the single player campaign, then go online for Dueling,(which is the most JA game mode in JA I think) OR CTF, or FFA, or TFFA, or Seige... or whatever you want.
 Amidala from Chop Shop
05-20-2004, 9:30 PM
Originally posted by jedikumite'
I am new to online gaming. My son and I would like to get started. Could some one help me... Could you be more specific? It's almost like saying I'm new to (cooking, bowling, snowboarding, chess, etc. take your pick), please help.

Basically, you should practice against bots (artificial computer-controlled players) first and gain some experience. Start the game, pick Multiplayer, Play Solo Game, then pick a gametype (start with Free for All or Duel to make it easy), pick a map, select the number of bots, bot skill level (start with the lower skill levels first, not Jedi Master), score needed to win, etc. Then play. If you play Free for All, the rules are simple: kill anything that moves using any means necessary. Try to get good with saber\guns\Force so you can use and counter all of them.

There are other game types such as Capture the Flag (CTF) and Team FFA (team-based games with a Red Team vs. a Blue Team), Siege (one team tries to accomplish certain goals within a time limit while the other team tries to stop them), and Power Duel (2 vs. 1 dueling). You can't play Siege with bots but try all of the others.

When you can beat Jedi Master bots consistently, then go online with Join Server. Pick a gametype, sort the servers by "ping" from lowest to highest, then pick a server with a low ping (so you have a good connection).

Unfortunately, if you play Jedi Academy Free for All online, instead of the fun, action, and simplicity of "kill anything that moves using any means necessary", you will find that most servers have phony, added-on "rules" that dictate when, where, how, and under what specific circumstances you are "permitted" to engage another player in combat. If you violate these unwritten made-up "rules" you will be called names ("lamer" or worse) and cursed at, and may find your virtual character collapsed on the floor, paralyzed while someone called an "admin" tediously lectures you about violating the phony, unwritten, unofficial, made-up, added-on "rules" of engagement. Sadly, this type of thing is common in this particular game but is considered laughable and bizarre by the other 98% of the gaming community (who play games without these silly unofficial rules). Also, I don't know how old your son is, but the players who follow these rules often use very profane and vulgar language when chastising players who violate their unwritten code. You have been warned.

My advice: stay away from Free for All servers. Real Free for All has been smothered in it's crib in this game. Go to Duel or Power Duel servers if you like to fight 1 on 1 or 2 on 1, or go to Siege, CTF, or the few Team FFA servers if you want team-based action free of silly, made up, unofficial rules.

Or just stick with playing bots. They will never whine, call you names, or punish you for playing a game.
 PR-0927
05-20-2004, 9:40 PM
Hmm, a dad that likes games and plays them with his son. I wish my dad was like that!! I know that at least three of my friends' dads play games too.

I guess you should just do what Amidala said, she said what I was gonna say anyway...

BTW- Amidala, there is this one dude on PC Game Mods that spammed like every comment area. I guess he is "worse than me." His name is BASEBALLDUDE.

:fett:
 Amidala from Chop Shop
05-20-2004, 9:57 PM
Originally posted by Majin Revan
BTW- Amidala, there is this one dude on PC Game Mods that spammed like every comment area. I guess he is "worse than me." His name is BASEBALLDUDE.

:fett:

People who spam or who go off-topic in a thread are really annoying, aren't they :rolleyes:
 txa1265
05-20-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Majin Revan
Hmm, a dad that likes games and plays them with his son. My kids aren't old enough for 'T' games yet, but we have some mean battles in Rebel Strike on the GameCube (yes I know it is 'T', but versus mode is just like the arcade 'Trilogy' game).

At home we have a wireless LAN. I've managed to see that I *could* set up a Mac vs. PC game ... but that was as far as I got.

Mike
 Kurgan
05-21-2004, 1:05 AM
My strategy page has been compared to an "online manual" for Jedi Academy (and Jedi Outcast).

So once you read the provided game manual and readme, this should be a nice introduction to Multiplayer:

http://strategy.jediknight.net/jka/)

For setting up your own server, that's a bit more complicated, but there's an entire forum devoted to it "Dedicated Server Forum."

Good luck!

If you would like to play Siege, the team based Mission-Style multiplayer mode, you are always welcome on my "Meatgrinder Redux" server. We don't follow the complicated "honor" rules and are generally helpful if you want to play and have fun. See my signature below with the IP number.

Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop
Or just stick with playing bots. They will never whine, call you names, or punish you for playing a game.

Unless they are my bots, or Chop Shop bots. ; )

But as long as you realize that zero (0) ping players are bots, you needn't worry about what they say!
 Amidala from Chop Shop
05-21-2004, 2:10 AM
Originally posted by Kurgan

Unless they are my bots, or Chop Shop bots. ; )

Speaking of which, the following happened yesterday: a player came to my full-weapon full-Force CTF server and then started whining because other players were actually using the guns that the Raven programmers had worked so had to create. One of my bots put him in his place ([WTF]Oldfhart and *Picco* are bots):

667:30 Kill: 6 3 14: ^1Roger_^4Clyne killed GothicSlap by MOD_REPEATER_ALT_SPLASH
667:54 say: ^3[^4WTF^3]^2Oldfhart: my team sucks!
667:59 say: ^1Roger_^4Clyne: lol
668:03 say: GothicSlap: whats with the guns you that much of a wimp?
669:52 Kill: 6 3 19: ^1Roger_^4Clyne killed GothicSlap by MOD_ROCKET
670:01 say: GothicSlap: pussy
670:06 say: ^1Roger_^4Clyne: :)
670:33 Kill: 10 1 8: ^1*^3Picco^1* killed Padawan by MOD_DISRUPTOR
670:47 Kill: 10 4 8: ^1*^3Picco^1* killed Nobody by MOD_DISRUPTOR
670:50 say: ^1*^3Picco^1*: the guns aren't here for decoration.
670:54 say: Nobody: lol
670:56 say: ^1Roger_^4Clyne: lol

Even my bots hate whiners.
 Samuel Dravis
05-21-2004, 2:15 AM
LOL, that's funny. I was on Kurgan's server the other day, and the bots were actually slightly challenging (and they talk smack, too). Some new players actually thought they were real, also... :D
 Ace-_Ventura
05-21-2004, 8:18 PM
another thing. download the patch. you can download it here http://www.jk2files.com/file.info?ID=20459)
 Samuel Dravis
05-21-2004, 8:28 PM
Some good servers to go to for FFA/CTF/TFFA etc are any Chop Shop server and Kurgan's Meatgrinder. For dueling, BWN servers are pretty good. Power Duel is not so fun IMO because one player stands back and lets the other take all the damage (which is quite annoying). There's a lot of Siege servers out there, and generally any one of them is ok, as long as you have a low ping. Siege doesn't lend itself to 'honor' play styles. :D
 Lightsaberboy
05-22-2004, 12:47 AM
whoa, how do you get your bots to talk back to people??
 Samuel Dravis
05-22-2004, 1:01 AM
They edited the .jkb files inside the pk3s. You know how the bots sometimes talk when they get killed? They changed that part.
 Sam Fisher
05-26-2004, 11:09 PM
Yep ^^ Chop Shop bots are pretty funny at times :P And are actually challenging. I even put all of my bots at 5 everything, and now its a little harder, since they all have PERFECT aim. Makes for good FF all guns FFA.
Page: 1 of 1