Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

No time for timers!

Page: 1 of 1
 RenikDelan
03-31-2004, 9:17 PM
... change its shape.:)

Anyway, I'm working on a JA MP map, recreating a dojo from real life (sorry, no Matrix rip-offs here!), and keeping with the authenticity, the ceiling starts naturally at the standard height of a room at approximately 7.3ft (2.26m).

Now as we all know, that low of a ceiling for a dueling room blows. So, straying from the dimensions of the room for the sake of JA, I was going to make a switch to gradually raise the ceiling of room to the max range of a Level 3 force jump. Well, the best way that I know of (though probably not the only way) is to create a switch, like for a door.

Unfortunately, doors seem to have max timers on them, so about 16mins after I raise it up, it would drop back down to its original state. So I had to get creative.

My thinking is to create a forcefield with a ceiling texture/shader. Then be able to switch it on and off. Not as grandiose, I know, but effective.

My question is though, can that be done? And if so, how? But if you know of a way to, via wall switch, to raise and lower the ceiling without adverse side effects, that'd be even more preferrable than the whole forcefield thing. Any ideas?

"... And if at all possible, try and save the car."
 wedge2211
03-31-2004, 10:50 PM
Try hitting the TOGGLE flag on the func_door, that should make the door respond only to the switch, not to the automatic return (which you can alter by changing the wait value on the door).

The "forcefield" effect would be done as follows: Build your room with the cieling in the "raised" position. Then, put a "lowered" cieling brush in at the appropriate hieght and make it into a func_usable. A func_usable will appear or disappear when it is triggered, so just target the func_button at the func_usable. If you want the cieling to start "raised," check the START_OFF flag on the func_usable, which will start it invisible.

This is good for forcefields, holograms, animating switches, all sorts of stuff.
 RenikDelan
03-31-2004, 11:59 PM
actually I already have the raised ceiling as well as the lowered one, its just the lowered one I want to make moveable. So I just set the lowered brush to func_door with a toggle (and link it with its switch of course) and it will go up and stay until I hit it again?

PS- Its Spaceballs, when King Roland is asking Lonestar to save his daughter... and the Mercedes (he got it at a very good price :)).
 Ockniel
04-01-2004, 8:41 AM
umm, couldn't you just make a door with a delay thats -1 so it never returns and make the speed realy slow? or is that what you did and Im just to stupid?:eek: :confused: :)
 GothiX
04-01-2004, 10:01 AM
Just script it.
 WadeV1589
04-01-2004, 11:22 AM
I was just about to say, func_static scripted would solve your problems straight away.
 RenikDelan
04-05-2004, 9:07 PM
well I dont know how to script a fuct_static (yes Im a friggin newbie leeme alone!), so I guess im SOL. :mad:
Page: 1 of 1