Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

How Do You Do It (hosting a game)

Page: 1 of 1
 obi wan MAXimus
03-31-2004, 2:58 AM
I am new at the jedi academy multiplayer game. and I was wondering how to set up a server so that friends(in another city)can duel with me online.so far I've tried everything.and he doesn't see me on the "join server list".HOW DO YOU DO IT!!
 --ZeeMan--
03-31-2004, 3:51 AM
very difficultily...

basically if you use your own computer you won't be able to play on it very well and it will cause you're other players to lag as well.
 Kurgan
03-31-2004, 3:47 PM
Check out the Dedicated Server forum for help! It's not that hard, once you realize what settings to change.

If you and your friends only have dialup though, forget it, you're better off just finding a server and all joining it.

If you are interested in plunking down a little cash each month (say $20-25) you can rent a server (from a site like JediServers.com) and you can get it virtually lag free with lots of players.

; )
 •-BLaCKouT-•
03-31-2004, 5:04 PM
Like Kurgan said, dial-up ain't good for hosting, but if you've got a nice connection here's the method I use for me buddies:

• Go here (http://www.whatismyipaddress.com/) and CTRL+C your IP address.

• Give the IP address to your mates in Messenger / AIM etc.

• Start JA/MP and create a server as normal.

• Once you're "in", your mates can drop the console down (SHIFT + `) and type \connect 000.00.000.00 where the 0's are the IP address you gave them. They can just type \connect and then CTRL+V the IP in if they've copied it.

And they should join you in the game. The server won't show up on any lists, which can be a plus point depending on how you look at it. It keeps the game relatively private without having to dish out passwords beforehand.

Anyways, give it a go :D

B.
 --ZeeMan--
03-31-2004, 11:04 PM
oooooh.......i like that idea enough to try it :\
 _PerfectAgent_
03-31-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan
If you and your friends only have dialup though, forget it, you're better off just finding a server and all joining it.
You can actually play with dialup and get a decent ping? Do tell!

Yeah, I get a 999 in JA and in Battlefield 1942, a 2000-9999 ping. :(
 obi wan MAXimus
04-02-2004, 9:07 PM
thanks everyone for the help!

:D

Blackout- thanks for that special tip ,but I'm not sure how my friends are soppose to get "in". when or at what screen?how do they find me. the (shift+`)brought a window down for you to type in the ip address(i was pretty happy when that worked!)
after they type /connect or \connect then the ip number, are you suppose to automatically be transported "in" the game? or do ou have to do something else.

I would love it if you can help me out again but ifyou can't,
no worries
please and thank you
 _PerfectAgent_
04-02-2004, 10:08 PM
After you do the /connect thingy, it'll connect and load the map, characters, weapons, and stuff. Basically, just do the /connect thingy and you can then play!
 obi wan MAXimus
04-03-2004, 1:18 AM
I am still doing the connections ,with my buddy.but when I check my ip address online it is 2 numbers. 3 numbers.3 numbers.2 numbers (00.000.000.00)
instead of 3 numbers .2 numbers. 3numbers2. numbers(000.00.000.00) maybe that's the problem!

I check online and that's what it gives me. I've tried to reverse the number patterns also,but nothing happened

or maybe because I'm from canada,the patterns are different
mmmmm..
pondring.
If would appreciate anyone who could help me out
thanks

obi wan maximus
 _PerfectAgent_
04-03-2004, 2:31 AM
Try this. Bring down the console. It'll tell you the IP address. I think it will. It will be after where it says IP:.
 obi wan MAXimus
04-06-2004, 1:32 AM
I think I finally got it to work.
after I type \connect [] (and ip in braquets) I got to join game and there the other player apears.in the join game. only problem is it says connecting protocol 26 and time just passes.what does protocol 26 mean

thanks for the help perfect agent!
 Amidala from Chop Shop
04-07-2004, 5:25 PM
Make sure you have all upgraded to version 1.01, available here (http://www.lucasfiles.com/index.php?s=&action=file&id=235)
Page: 1 of 1