Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

April 1st?

Page: 1 of 1
 Ackehallgren
03-27-2004, 1:44 PM
What are they planning this time? :chop1:

:p
 HapSlash
03-27-2004, 4:24 PM
After the mixed emotions over the last joke, I doubt anything will be done this year,...
 Ackehallgren
03-27-2004, 5:08 PM
I think they have at least something up their sleeves... They have to be tricky to make it work!
 Jedi Luke
03-29-2004, 12:48 AM
Last year's was the best!!:D:D. I fell for it and was pissed, until I thought it was april 1st and was hoping it was only a joke. The next day, it was up :D, and i thought 'Best April 1st prank! :D'
 SlicerDude
03-29-2004, 2:34 AM
I had an interesting experience with last year's joke. When I first saw it, I thought it was an April Fool's Day prank, but I soon realized that it was not April Fool's Day. I was checking the site from school in the morning, probably on April 2 but perhaps on March 31, but in any case I was only at most 50% sure it was just a joke. I was relieved a few days later when I was able to visit the site again.

If only I saw it on the correct day, it would have been one of the best of such pranks. I still thought it was funny afterwards. It looked extremely convincing outwards; it really looked exactly like an official LucasArts page. More importantly, the text of the notice had the perfect amount of subtlety, hinting that something was up without being too obvious. For example, the part about Darth_Linux's computer being confiscated was an unusually harsh punishment, but not impossibly so.

Anyways, I'd be happy to see any sort of update on the 1st, real or hoax. (As long as it's not a real version of last year's hoax ;))
 Ackehallgren
03-31-2004, 10:32 AM
Man... that day felt like a week! :)
 ewok mercenary
04-01-2004, 11:12 AM
Hehehe, just looked at the site today :p
 TK-8252
04-01-2004, 11:17 AM
Ha ha guys, very funny (didn't get me for a second). The AOTC:TC is doing the very same thing.

;)
 ewok mercenary
04-01-2004, 11:54 AM
The DFMOD one is soooo much more convincing though - almost got me :)

In fact, I'm surprised I wasn't fooled by it, as usually I'm the really gullible type, hehe.
 Ackehallgren
04-01-2004, 12:06 PM
I actually thought that lucasarts had done something smart :p

They should though...
(looks so real...)
 michael_collins
04-01-2004, 2:02 PM
at least it shows a good phase one shot.
 Neverhoodian
04-01-2004, 2:16 PM
Lol! Nice one, guys! Very convincing design. You even got massassi.net to post it!:p
 SlicerDude
04-02-2004, 1:12 AM
Wow, even more impressive than last year's. And, even better, it includes a new screenshot (or part of one).

That's why this mod is the best. Even the April's Fools jokes are high quality!:D
 SlicerDude
04-02-2004, 2:19 AM
Wow.
:drop2:
Gamespot has an article about game sites' April Fools this year right here (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/04/01/news_6092742.html) , and DFMOD is one of four sites mentioned specifically, and a thumbnail of that Phase One Dark Trooper is the accompanying screen for the link to the article. Too bad it says it's a page on LucasArts.com, although they did get the link right. So either they just made a stupid mistake, or the page looked so real that they thought it was from LucasArts even though they realized that it was a joke. In any case, congratulations. You got mentioned right next to Blizzard Entertainment and Halo 2.
 -ST-i_stinks
04-02-2004, 7:03 AM
well i don't mind april fool jokes but HATE it being pull off twice in a row mentioning the site like for this case dark forces. it would be better if it a joke on dark forces mod and the other year another joke where dark forces isn't involved.

nice joke anyway but last year better... ..t.
 spsblue
04-02-2004, 8:27 AM
Last year was them shutting us down...
this year was a buyout - equals success.

It does have to do with the mod, and therefore with Dark Forces.
 The_One
04-02-2004, 9:58 AM
Heh, glad you lot enjoyed the joke. You were in the minority expecting a prank - it seems I fooled a large percentage of the community, with many people thinking it was LucasArts playing a prank! Either that, or people actually believed it :p

Thanks for the heads-up on the Gamespot article SlicerDude, that makes me pretty happy ;)

The AOTC:TC is doing the very same thing.

Nice to know that great minds think alike! I didn't know anything about theirs until I visited here - was a bit freaky :p

The DFMOD one is soooo much more convincing though - almost got me

Thanks!

I actually thought that lucasarts had done something smart

The words "LucasArts" and "smart" rarely seem to go together in the same sentence anymore :(

at least it shows a good phase one shot.

Yeah, I thought it would be nice to show something new at the same time...

You even got massassi.net to post it!

Actually, they picked that up themselves. I got JediKnight.net to post about it, but I think someone submitted the news to Massassi. If you look on the Massassi forums, you'll see it caused some fairly amusing threads. It's very satisfying surfing and watching people dispute it ;) Anyway, the coverage from those two sites got word out about it, so sites like GameSpot and BluesNews picked up on it pretty quickly.

I wonder if we'll be around next year to do another Fool - but I'm pretty much out of ideas. Maybe I can apply for a job at LucasArts, and write press releases for them :p
 Godzilla
04-02-2004, 2:03 PM
Heh. Nice picture of the Dark Trooper. Looks like the Empire's Terminator or something. Great joke guys.
 The_One
04-02-2004, 10:41 PM
Say what you will about the nature of the joke, but check this out:

http://www.nedstatbasic.net/s?tab=1&link=1&id=2579256)

As I expected, this really is a great advertising opportunity for the mod - just look at those hits!

Note: there are hardly any hits for April 1st as the joke page had no hit counter, and I couldn't very easily hide one on there ;)

At least it's got a bit of interest going in the mod again. See, this is why we have a reputation for these April Fool's jokes - when we get this many hits, who wouldn't sieze an opportunity like this?
 Kurgan
04-05-2004, 2:58 PM
That's the great thing about All Fool's Day, somebody ALWAYS gets suckered.

Besides, you shouldn't expect people to reveal their jokes before the day... ; )
 TK-8252
04-05-2004, 6:02 PM
Page: 1 of 1