Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

An Idea That's Tastier Than Buttercream! ("Guns Only" server)

Page: 1 of 1
 backup7
03-21-2004, 11:08 AM
Hullo,
I think that a tasty gameplay option would be to disallow sabers. Imagine a CTF or FFA game minus sabers and force...
Ohh, how delicious! Everyone would fight it out with just guns :mob:, opening up a whole new (and refreshing) style of play.
(Harking back to Raven's ELITE FORCE, which had amazingly sweet, fast paced CTF games) I was surprised upon discovering the inavalibility of this option in both JK2 and JKA. :eek:

Also, IMHO, this buttery gameplay option would help draw players away from the disasterific admin mod servers, and make it more actual-gameplay oriented. ;)

Hmm, what do you think?
 Druid Allanon
03-21-2004, 11:15 AM
Then you might as well rename JKA. Get real... this is a STAR WARS game. How can it be one without sabers/force, which are the heart and soul of the game? You want guns only, go play Halo.
 backup7
03-21-2004, 11:27 AM
Why not have it as an option? You wouldn't have to play it if you didn't like it.
 Crow_Nest
03-21-2004, 1:19 PM
Without force and sabers, its like a WW3 with only guns, but in the future. :D So whats the point without force and sabers? You wont get the star wars feel.
 Sam Fisher
03-21-2004, 1:24 PM
Yeah, no saber/force would not be the SW feel... Sorry mate, it just would not hold. :(
 Druid Allanon
03-21-2004, 1:48 PM
Originally posted by backup7
Why not have it as an option? You wouldn't have to play it if you didn't like it.

That might be feasible, but if that were to become an option, it must also apply to everyone else, which I'm sure that they wouldn't like that. In the end, you would have to play ONLY with guns by yourself, and it wouldn't be fun, would it?
 backup7
03-21-2004, 2:14 PM
Not an option for an individual person... a server option. A weapons-only server. Naturally, it would be filled with people who also want weapons-only. And in siege, people play without force or lightsabers, yet it still feels Star Warsy. Jedis aren't the only people in the Star Wars universe. :rolleyes:

Mercenaries, soldiers... bah your heads are sure in the mud!

As far as maintaining the "Star Wars feel", half the multiplayer models look way out of place using jedi-skills (Stormtroopers?), and weapons would definitely be more genuine.

This would open up a new style of play that may appeal to those who are attuned to more mainstream FPS's. More players never hurts, nor does gameplay variety.

Many people on these forums claim that they hate the slow paced jedi-rpg-whiner servers, and weapons-only servers would almost certainly provide fast, clean action.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
 Radd
03-21-2004, 3:02 PM
Though I prefere to play with sabers and force powers, and tend to dislike it when people start disabling parts of the game, I actually have to kind of agree backup7's idea. For the people that want it, why not?

As for not getting that Star Wars feel? I'd just like to point out that not everybody in the Star Wars universe is a Jedi. In fact, rather few of them are. Dark Forces was guns only, wasn't it?

On the other hand, I do disagree that guns-only servers would gaurantee fast, clean action. The problems with the JK community are common in most online games. Once again I think of Penny-Arcade's latest comic. I do, on the other hand, tend to think that RPGers would avoid CTF games and the like, as there's really little to no room for roleplay in those environments, unless you're playing on a private server with some likeminded friends. I could be wrong though.

I do agree that variety is always a good thing.
 TK-8252
03-21-2004, 3:12 PM
Hey I like this idea. It's fun to play with guns, but lightsaber-users often ruin it by Force pulling your weapons.

Although if we don't want Force and lightsabers, you could play siege, there's usually not many Jedi on the Hoth and Tatooine sieges.
 •-BLaCKouT-•
03-21-2004, 4:16 PM
Well, I can see both sides of the argument, but I'd like a guns-only option too. There's a saber-only option, so it only seems fair to have it the other way round too. personally, I get bored on saber-only servers, so I tend not to play on them.

I know it kind of lacks the feel of SW without the sabers, (and I know that Quake III exists for people who like guns ;) ) but I'd liek to see it as an option in the next patch (should such a thing occur).

Guns only = great CARNAGE!! :evil1:

B.
 Alegis
03-21-2004, 5:00 PM
i'd love a guns only game... "go play ut2K4/halo/random guns game" well its not the same at all...you still play JA but experience it diffeent (varience in gameplay->good aganist getting bored of it) and star wars DOES have mercenaries. Actually in the WHOLE Star wars universe it's more guns only than force and saber.
 saurumonk
03-21-2004, 7:24 PM
its not jedi knight without lightsabers or force....many other games have a weapons only option. maybe you can find a server like that but i seriously doubt it...
 •-BLaCKouT-•
03-21-2004, 10:43 PM
Will Clone Commando have an MP mode do ya think? :naughty: I sure so hope so...

In the meanwhile, I'll just try and convince the folks I play with to play guns only. You can disable the sabers at the server, and give everyone stun batons, but last time I tried that it messed with my config no end :(

B.
 Kurgan
03-22-2004, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Druid Allanon
Then you might as well rename JKA. Get real... this is a STAR WARS game. How can it be one without sabers/force, which are the heart and soul of the game? You want guns only, go play Halo.

Ahem, *cough* Star Wars: Republic Commando.

(That game will have a full MP component including deathmatch, team deathmatch and CTF. We don't know yet if it will have editing. Though it's prequel based, so unless there's editing there's still a reason to want to play in the "classic Star Wars universe" with the JK series).

Heck, there are actually many Star Wars games out there that don't let you play as Jedi with sabers & Force. All of the X-Wing and Rebel Assault games for example. SWG recently added Jedi, but up until that point the game was totally Jedi/Sabers/Force free. And even now it's something that's very rare, the majority of players and NPC's are non-Force based.

Star Wars is more than just Jedi and Sith hacking away with lightsabers and tossing force around.

C'mon, who doesn't want to be Boba Fett or Han Solo, Chewie or an Arc Trooper?

What isn't cool about those other characters?

Why did Raven make this great game with all these weapons if you're only going to use one or two of them?

The title "Jedi Academy" has NOTHING to do with multiplayer. Not anything really. About all I can think of is that a few of the skins you can use are of characters that are in the "Jedi Academy" at Yavin 4, and maybe one or two maps are on the same planet as the Academy, but that's about it.

In the game Jedi aren't limited to sabers and force, so "Sabers Only" is just as exclusive and "out of spirit" as guns only. I don't see the big problem.

And JA isn't the only game with melee weapons either. Yet you don't hear people saying "If you want to sword fight, go play Rune!" or "Go play Heretic II!"

Playing Quake3 or Halo doesn't let you be Star Wars characters, in Star Wars locations, using Star Wars weapons and technology in Star Wars scenarios.

3/4 of JA's Siege mode is Non-Force/Non-Saber and yet it's still loads of fun.
 Kurgan
03-22-2004, 12:54 AM
So to answer your question, YES, it IS possible to disable sabers.

You can do so (theoretically, I haven't actually tried this) using the weapon disable options, and as you know Force can already be disabled selectively or completely.

Remove the ability to use the Saber Attack, Defend and Saber Throw powers and players should be forced to use Melee and other weapons instead.
 TK-8252
03-22-2004, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Kurgan
So to answer your question, YES, it IS possible to disable sabers.

You can do so (theoretically, I haven't actually tried this) using the weapon disable options, and as you know Force can already be disabled selectively or completely.

Remove the ability to use the Saber Attack, Defend and Saber Throw powers and players should be forced to use Melee and other weapons instead. Whoa! Nice.
 Kurgan
03-22-2004, 1:02 AM
Yeah, believe me I love sabers and force, my server supports them!

What I don't do is disable stuff. On my server you can use all weapons, all powers, all tactics available to you in the game (outside of cheats of course).*

How can people who disable most force powers and most weapons get upset? I don't think they have room to talk!
; )

* Okay, fine I *do* disable one thing in the game, and that's Voting, because I've seen the way it's abused on public server after public server, so since I'm running my own server anyway, I turn off the option when I'm around.
 Amidala from Chop Shop
03-22-2004, 3:06 AM
So to answer your question, YES, it IS possible to disable sabers. Um, actually, I tried to do that, but the sabers were still there.

I ran a server (Chop Shop Fight Club) that was supposed to be for debugmelee only. I tried to disable the lightsabers but I couldn't do it. I tried weapon disable, I tried disabling Saber Attack, Saber Defend, Saber Throw, nothing worked, you still ended up with a level 1 Saber Attack no matter what.

I finally just set g_saberdamagescale 0 so the lightsabers did no damage. People who tried to use a lightsaber on that server anyway were quickly surrounded by the unarmed players (usually a gang of Jawas) and were beaten and kicked to death.

If you want to play guns-only, go to any default CTF server (like Refresh, FluxGateway, and others). Sabers are used as a shield only and 99% of the kills are with rockets, repeater alt-fire, and the occasional Tenloss sniper-shot, flechette-alt, or pistol-alt fire.
 VaderJM
03-22-2004, 3:26 AM
Exactly, in case you haven't noticed, any base ffa server is essentially guns only. I mean sure, I see all these glowing sticks in people's hands, but it's not like they do anything...
 TK-8252
03-22-2004, 3:43 AM
Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop
I finally just set g_saberdamagescale 0 so the lightsabers did no damage. People who tried to use a lightsaber on that server anyway were quickly surrounded by the unarmed players (usually a gang of Jawas) and were beaten and kicked to death. Aaaaaaaand... nicer!
 Kurgan
03-22-2004, 5:16 AM
Amidala: Interesting.

Update: Okay I think I found a somewhat better solution (not perfect though).

g_maxforcerank -1 (yes, that's right, negative, it will show up in your MP setup as "Uninitiated," ie: no force points)
g_forcepowerdisable 262143 (this way they can't try to assign force points to anything, period).

However, there is a bug in that players will ALWAYS start with Level 1 Force Jump, Push and Heal (with with Force Balanced teams as if they were on the "dark side").

Of course those latter two powers don't do much good since you only heal 5 hp's and can't push back projectiles or push somebody very far.

The above will disable sabers completely though (giving you melee instead).

And if you add one more setting:

g_forceregentime 9999

Then once they run out of force, they are pretty much stuck without it. And since there are no force boons, you'll be in "no force land" very soon. ; )

To sum up:

g_maxforcerank -1
g_forcepowerdisable 262143
g_weapondisable 0
g_forceregentime 9999

= Virtually No Force and No sabers.
 Druid Allanon
03-22-2004, 1:23 PM
Heck, there are actually many Star Wars games out there that don't let you play as Jedi with sabers & Force. All of the X-Wing and Rebel Assault games for example. SWG recently added Jedi, but up until that point the game was totally Jedi/Sabers/Force free. And even now it's something that's very rare, the majority of players and NPC's are non-Force based.

Yup, but personally, I don't like using guns much. :( Maybe it's because my aim's crap, maybe not. I just like to use the lightsaber and the Force. Besides, it's the Jedi that made me a Star Wars fan, not those gun-shooters. ;) I could very well go watch James Bond movies that way.
 Prime
03-22-2004, 3:13 PM
We already have that option. It's called every other FPS out there.
 Radd
03-22-2004, 3:22 PM
But 'virtually every other FPS out there' aren't Star Wars games, set i nthe Star Wars universe, using Star Wars weapons and characters, now are they?
 acdcfanbill
03-22-2004, 4:09 PM
Yea, Gunning without force isnt fun at all i dont think. Its the force Gunning in these games that makes them the fastest gunning experiance ever (for me anyway). To play this game with guns and without force, just seems silly to me, and most of the gunning community, but hey, if thats your thing, by all means, go for it:D
 TK-8252
03-22-2004, 9:30 PM
Amidala: Interesting.

Update: Okay I think I found a somewhat better solution (not perfect though).

g_maxforcerank -1 (yes, that's right, negative, it will show up in your MP setup as "Uninitiated," ie: no force points)
g_forcepowerdisable 262143 (this way they can't try to assign force points to anything, period).

However, there is a bug in that players will ALWAYS start with Level 1 Force Jump, Push and Heal (with with Force Balanced teams as if they were on the "dark side").

Of course those latter two powers don't do much good since you only heal 5 hp's and can't push back projectiles or push somebody very far.

The above will disable sabers completely though (giving you melee instead).

And if you add one more setting:

g_forceregentime 9999

Then once they run out of force, they are pretty much stuck without it. And since there are no force boons, you'll be in "no force land" very soon. ; )

To sum up:

g_maxforcerank -1
g_forcepowerdisable 262143
g_weapondisable 0
g_forceregentime 9999

= Virtually No Force and No sabers. Nicest!
 GothiX
03-22-2004, 9:46 PM
Now, who's crazy enough to set up a server like that? Supply the IP, and I'm in. :D
 Kurgan
03-22-2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by acdcfanbill
Yea, Gunning without force isnt fun at all i dont think. Its the force Gunning in these games that makes them the fastest gunning experiance ever (for me anyway). To play this game with guns and without force, just seems silly to me, and most of the gunning community, but hey, if thats your thing, by all means, go for it:D

You must not like Siege then, right? Or do you just play Korriban?

; )

Original posted by Prime:
We already have that option. It's called every other FPS out there.

Yeah and we already have another option too, it's called 'every other melee combat game out there'.
 Rumor
03-23-2004, 3:48 AM
Originally posted by backup7
Hullo,
I think that a tasty gameplay option would be to disallow sabers. Imagine a CTF or FFA game minus sabers and force...
Ohh, how delicious! Everyone would fight it out with just guns :mob:, opening up a whole new (and refreshing) style of play.
(Harking back to Raven's ELITE FORCE, which had amazingly sweet, fast paced CTF games) I was surprised upon discovering the inavalibility of this option in both JK2 and JKA. :eek:

Also, IMHO, this buttery gameplay option would help draw players away from the disasterific admin mod servers, and make it more actual-gameplay oriented. ;)

Hmm, what do you think?

id software makes this neat game called Quake III Arena. Its right up your alley.
 A Jedi
03-23-2004, 5:52 AM
Originally posted by Rumor
id software makes this neat game called Quake III Arena. Its right up your alley.

exactly
 Radd
03-23-2004, 12:06 PM
Wow. It always amazes me when people don't bother to read past the first post.
 Prime
03-23-2004, 5:49 PM
Originally posted by Radd
But 'virtually every other FPS out there' aren't Star Wars games, set i nthe Star Wars universe, using Star Wars weapons and characters, now are they? Why isn't seige good enough then?
 Radd
03-23-2004, 10:52 PM
I love siege, so don't get this wrong. But Seige is not FFA, Siege isn't CTF. Siege has you take a very specific role, with set mission objectives. It's a unique gametype all it's own.

But replaying to a thread like this with "Go play another game, then." Is exactly like telling someone who wants to play sabers only, "Go play Soul Caliber instead!" It's like telling people that want to play duel games to go play that crappy Star Wars fighting game from several years back.

Replying to threads like this with comments like, "Well, that takes away the Star Wars feel' are equally rediculous for the same reasons already pointed out, there were very few force users in the Star Wars universe, so giving everyone force powers and lightsabers is far less Star Wars-like than a guns only game.

And it's not like the guy that suggested this is telling everyone that they should play guns only, he merely suggests it would make a nifty option for those that wanted it.

Heck, I'm with Kurgan and like Jo/JA servers that don't limit any of the game's options, and yet I still can see backup7's point of view.
 backup7
03-23-2004, 11:32 PM
Well said, Radd :)
 Rumor
03-24-2004, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by A Jedi
exactly

Oh **** its the end of the world, Vegeta and I actually agree on something. :eek:
 Kurgan
03-24-2004, 5:48 AM
Yeah, there's a place for everything.

Dueling hones your saber skills (against other sabers anyway). That's another reason why I'm not a dueling master, since I don't duel very much. But I still whip out the saber and use it quite often in games.
 [ASJN] Balboa
03-24-2004, 9:19 PM
i like my game to not be disrupted at all. all guns, all force. a merc without his force is nothing really
 TK-425
03-25-2004, 2:54 PM
i like the idea i try not to play saber only :trooper:
 LukeKatarn
03-25-2004, 4:17 PM
Yes this is JKA force powers and sabers are not needed ever heard of DARK FORCES it is the mother of the JK games and it only has guns no sabers no force powers just you and your guns and it was a sweet game if you ignore the bad graphics;) so JKA without guns would be FUN not NO FUN belive me this is all true!:) :D ;) :cool:
 acdcfanbill
03-26-2004, 3:12 PM
What about us weirdo's who like to gun WITH force powers :) everyone goes 'go play Q3 or UT if u like guns' where in those games can i speed around, pull weapons, push FC's off cliffs, heal/energize my FC, block/push shots. the list goes on, forces added depth to gunning like ive never seen :D
 Prime
03-26-2004, 3:55 PM
i speed around, pull weapons, push FC's off cliffs, heal/energize my FC, block/push shots. LAMER!!1!1
 A Jedi
03-29-2004, 4:30 AM
What about us weirdo's who like to gun WITH force powers :) everyone goes 'go play Q3 or UT if u like guns' where in those games can i speed around, pull weapons, push FC's off cliffs, heal/energize my FC, block/push shots. the list goes on, forces added depth to gunning like ive never seen :D

Ya man you are right.

I just realized thats fun.
 LukeKatarn
03-29-2004, 4:41 PM
Listen DARK FORCES is not multi player so it would be nice to have a game with the same weapons in multi player without force powers dark forces was a great game so how a bout two mods one with guns only with force powers and one that is guns only without force powers!
 Jlowry1974!
04-03-2004, 3:38 AM
that have disabled some forces and removed some of the weapons from the maps. All these changes can be done by changing the config file or something( I must admit I don't know the specifics) so if somebody "wants" a server a certain way it is possible to tailor it to your preferences. Personally I never take a sword to a gunfight,lol.:fett:
Page: 1 of 1