Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Jedi Academy or Knights of the Old Republic?

Page: 1 of 1
 KarlMarx
03-21-2004, 6:01 AM
Hey guys I'm between two paths right now either JA or Knights of the Old Republic. LucasArts couldn't really decide it for me and I know you guys are probly biased to JA but what does each game offer?
I have heard that in JA you do not play as Katarn (like MGS2, where you play the spineless chick dude for most of the game instead of Snake the badass.)
I don't care about graphics. I care about gameplay and to a much lesser degree story, then graphics.

Thanks guys.
 Samuel Dravis
03-21-2004, 6:10 AM
Well, KotOR's got the graphics, the story, the guns, the sabers, the action, the romantic action :naughty:, pretty much everything. If you want to be totally zoned out of the rest of the world for a few days then it's your game. But if you just want some casual stress relief, JA's gotcha covered. Really it's a choice between what type of game you like best.

I think that KotOR's really, really, really good. But I like JA a lot too. So...get both! :p

And we're really not biased towards JA. Check this (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=125340) out.
 Ockniel
03-21-2004, 6:12 AM
well, KOTOR doesn't have mp, and I would think that without mp there wouldn't be alot of piont in modding (if you were planning too), though some of my friends say Kotor is better, and since I havent ever played it , I can't say.

even though I've never played-- I still say JA Rules
 TK-8252
03-21-2004, 6:25 AM
KotOR is just not my kind of game. No Imperials or rebels, and way too much Jedi stuff.
 Crow_Nest
03-21-2004, 6:38 AM
Dunno, but KOTOR is better, good graphics, higher rating, fun fun fun..... :):):)

And you get that sweet Star Wars feel when you play KOTOR :cool:
 Weiser_Cain
03-21-2004, 7:22 AM
I wasn't really a starwars fan untill I played KOTOR.
 Alegis
03-21-2004, 9:00 AM
there's a demo for jedi academy, you might want to try that one.

They're both great games; if you can't get both you'll have to decide on this;

KOTOR
awesome graphics
rpg (you don't flight yourself, you click on 'do that move')
amazing gameplay+storyline

JA
SP+MP
Action game, slash and bash.. anyways just try the demo i aint good in making comparison tables like this :)
 Druid Allanon
03-21-2004, 11:18 AM
Well, it depends on what sort of gameplay you want, really. KOTOR is based on RPGing, so if you love to RP, get KOTOR. If not, buy Jedi Academy. Personally, I would choose JA because, although KOTOR is good, you would get bored of the same stuff over and over. JA MP is constantly changing, such as the people's attitude. That's what makes it interesting for me. ;) I would advise you to get JA.
 Sam Fisher
03-21-2004, 1:29 PM
Yeah, I would get JA, but then I have KotOR also :P But not to burst anyone's bubble, but KotOR really dosne't have any replay value after going through it about 8-9 times, unless you mod it :) Go to the KotOR forums, very many mods there!
 FiEND_138
03-22-2004, 4:55 AM
KotOR
 Radd
03-22-2004, 5:13 AM
RPGs or FPS games? JA is a great, fun FPS game. KotOR is by all accounts an excellent RPG. Both are set in the Star Wars universe. There's reviews for both games available online. What sort of game do you prefere?
 Kurgan
03-22-2004, 8:08 AM
Basically it comes down to this:

-If you want a "Jedi Simulator"* get KOTOR.

OR

-If you want an action FPS with multiplayer in the Star Wars universe, get Jedi Academy.

* Close as you are going to get to one anyway, in the videogame world.
 Omikron
03-22-2004, 8:15 AM
Originally posted by Sam Fisher
Yeah, I would get JA, but then I have KotOR also :P But not to burst anyone's bubble, but KotOR really dosne't have any replay value after going through it about 8-9 times, unless you mod it :) Go to the KotOR forums, very many mods there!

Yes, but it takes about 20-40 hours to finish KotOR, whilst it only takes about 5-10 for JA, so KotOR is much longer.
If i had to choose (I own both) i'd go for KotOR.
 txa1265
03-22-2004, 9:19 AM
Wow those were short times ... did you see anything along the way? I am generally taking >60 hours in my 4 KotOR trips and >20 hours in my 4 JA trips ...

My thought would be this - would you rather be playing Neverwinter Nights or Return to Castle Wolfenstein? Baldur's Gate or Half Life?

See what I'm saying? KotOR is more action-packed than most RPG's, and JA has more RPG-lite elements than most FPS, but ultimately it is a RPG vs FPS thing.

I couldn't even begin choose between what are my two favorite games ... which is when being an adult with plenty of disposable $$ helps :P

Mike
 Prime
03-22-2004, 3:43 PM
Want FPS -> JA
Want RPG -> KOTOR
Don't care -> KOTOR
Machine not top-o-the-line -> JA
 Imperial_thug
03-22-2004, 5:41 PM
KOTOR does'nt have mp or even real-time action, that is why we are still stuck with role-players and honor jerks screwing this game up. I was hoping that KOTOR was going to take them all away, and they could give up the FPS genre and stop trying to change it into an RPG.
 t3rr0r
03-22-2004, 11:21 PM
i would have bought kotor if it wasn't knights of the old republic. i didn't get very much of a star warsy feel when i tried it. if only it had been set during the classic (and on) era...
 Boba Rhett
03-22-2004, 11:25 PM
What. I. The...

Kotor has more star warsy feel to it than most of the other star wars games combined! :indif:
 t3rr0r
03-22-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Boba Rhett
Kotor has more star warsy feel to it than most of the other star wars games combined! :indif:
i don't recall mentioning any other star wars games.
 Boba Rhett
03-22-2004, 11:49 PM
Given the forums that you're on, it's implied that you feel that there are other Star Wars games that have more of a, "star warsy" feel though.
 Radd
03-23-2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Imperial_thug
KOTOR does'nt have mp or even real-time action, that is why we are still stuck with role-players and honor jerks screwing this game up. I was hoping that KOTOR was going to take them all away, and they could give up the FPS genre and stop trying to change it into an RPG.

I'm still under the impression that it's the whiners and jerks that were ruining the game. Those are hardly limited to a small group that likes to roleplay on servers dedicated to that end, or people that like to bow before you kick their teeth in.

It's the people that think you should have to bow before you kick their teeth in, and whine if you don't. And the other jerks that come in and tell you how you ought to play the game even when the server isn't dedicated to their particular style of gameplay. Whether they insist on roleplay and 'honour rules', or whether they go onto a server dedicated to such things and start hacking away at those that didn't come for that sort of thing.

It has nothing at all with how they want to play the game, and everything to do with whether or not they expect and demand other people to play their way, whining, crying, and namecalling when people refuse.

If you forget that simple truth and start telling people that like to roleplay on roleplay servers to get the hell out of JK and go to KotOR or Galaxies, or start callimg them names, either on their own servers or here, then you're every bit as bad as those idiots that jump onto a hack and slash server demanding people bow, and getting pissy when someone attacks them from behind. You become that very same type of person, just complaining about different things.

You become the very problem you were originaly complaining about.
 Radd
03-23-2004, 12:31 AM
I don't mean to single Imperial_Thug out like that, I apologize. You do have valid complaints, assuming you mean the people that jump onto servers demanding you play their way, when there's no such server rules or anything like that.

However, I see far too many people that tend to lose sight of that, and I've visited plenty of RPG servers, training servers, and even FFA servers with a few house rules to abide by (sabers down and whatnot), and seen hack and slash types jump on and just ignore those rules, or demand people play the game their way, which is just as bad.
 Prime
03-23-2004, 5:55 PM
Originally posted by t3rr0r
i would have bought kotor if it wasn't knights of the old republic. i didn't get very much of a star warsy feel when i tried it. if only it had been set during the classic (and on) era... Hmm. I found the opposite. I thought it was one of the most accurate games in terms of Star Wars feel. Even though it isn't in the OT era, just about everything has a direct counterpart in the OT.
 txa1265
03-23-2004, 6:33 PM
Originally posted by Prime
Hmm. I found the opposite. I thought it was one of the most accurate games in terms of Star Wars feel. Agree - everything is just bathed in a Star Wars-y feel - it shows you don't need Stormtroopers to get a Star Wars feel. But you do need lightsabers ... and some corny jokes, cheesy dialogue and someone whining (be it luke, anakin, rosh or carth) always helps ;)

Even though it isn't in the OT era, just about everything has a direct counterpart in the OT. Actually, there I have a subtle distinction - what makes KotOR so good is that it has analogues throughout the OT, but without 'knock-off' direct counterparts. The characters are familiar, yet different and alive of their own.

Mike
 Master William
03-23-2004, 6:46 PM
KOTOR.

KOTOR is a way of life. lol
 Prime
03-24-2004, 4:19 PM
Originally posted by txa1265
Actually, there I have a subtle distinction - what makes KotOR so good is that it has analogues throughout the OT, but without 'knock-off' direct counterparts. The characters are familiar, yet different and alive of their own. I wasn't thinking of the main characters, in particular. You are right that they are distinct and not carbon copies. I was thinking more of the general environment...

Ebon Hawk = Millenium Falcon
Lord Malak = Darth Vader
Leviathan = Star Destroyer
Swoop = Pod Racer
Sith Trooper = Stormtrooper
KOTOR weapons = OT weapons (more or less)
Republic Trooper = Rebel Trooper
Sith = Empire

and so on. They have done a great job making things original, but still very familiar.
 ksk h2o
03-24-2004, 7:45 PM
well KOTOR, like others have pointed it out, is an RPG
JA is an acion game based on an FPS engine.

apples and oranges

real time melee/shooting action ad multiplayer

and

piont and click action
 Prime
03-25-2004, 7:13 PM
Originally posted by ksk h2o
well KOTOR, like others have pointed it out, is an RPG
JA is an acion game based on an FPS engine.

apples and oranges

real time melee/shooting action ad multiplayer

and

piont and click action And both are kick ass in their own way :)
 ksk h2o
03-25-2004, 9:55 PM
And both are kick ass in their own way :)

Oh yea... I liked kotor. I especially liked the character design and the way they re created a long gone epoch. I like RPG's in their own right... but I wanted to point out that they are VERY different games. I mean when I'm in the mood for action, if I run KOTOR it wont cut it. If I'm in the mood to get into the atmosphere and play through an immersive tale, I would play KOTOR.

An exagerated comparison would be the dynasty warrios series on the PS2 and the romnce of the three kingdoms/kessen series. One is a beat-em all type action game, the other is a strategy game, both treat the same subject of medieval china during the three kindgom epoch with the same characters. =)
 PR-0927
03-25-2004, 10:36 PM
O.K. Both games are excellent. Here are their good points:

Knights of the Old Republic:
1. It is the best RPG that I have ever, heard of, played, or seen.
2. It has 112 awards, 35 of them are Game of the Year awards.
3. It is like an epic story, it makes you think, you get a lot of action, the music is awesome, the gameplay rules all, the graphics are the best for the next ten years because RPG's have been known to have better graphics, and FPS graphics systems are a bit different.

Jedi Academy:
1. Single Player is good, although a bit too short.
2. The mods rock for it, DO NOT GET IT FOR XBOX.. XBOX JA sucks, no mods, maps, downloads, etc.
3. Flying is fun (with mods of course)!!

There are the good points for these games. I hope that I have influenced your opinion and helped you decide. My opinion is that you get KotOR first, because it is grand and you can play on light side and dark side.
C'ya!!
:fett:
 Master William
03-26-2004, 9:47 AM
I in fact cannot play JA anymore after playing KOTOR and SWG, when you play high-quality games the low-quality ones don't appeal to you anymore. I think JA is a huge load of crap now, the SP is ok though. I like Jedi Outcast more, that game was wonderful. JA is just a cheap copy.
 txa1265
03-26-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Master William
I in fact cannot play JA anymore after playing KOTOR and SWG, That doesn't make any sense ... especially when you refer to the SP as being OK ... shouldn't it be the SP that would suffer in your opinion based on comparison to KotOR due to the plot, etc?

Playing Fallout 2 doesn't obviate Deus Ex, nor does BG2 or NWN obviate Diablo or Dungeon Siege. They have similar themes but different genres. You can prefer one over the other, sure, but they needn't be mutually exclusive.

Oh well, to each their own. I love each in their own way.

One more thing - since when were we only allowed to like one? Personally, I like the feeling of having a difficult choice when I finish a game deciding what to do next. Difficult because of so many choices, that is ...

Mike
 Prime
03-26-2004, 5:22 PM
I in fact cannot play JA anymore after playing KOTOR and SWG Ugh. Galaxies. I see our opinions competely differ since to me Galaxies = teh suck.

Oh well...
 shukrallah
03-28-2004, 3:21 AM
rpg (you don't flight yourself, you click on 'do that move')

That sort of puts KOTOR on the bottom of my list (and the fact that i need a new vid card...)

but still, JA is good, SP is fun, but short. MP would be fun, if i didnt get banned so much.

Tonight, I joined a server, and heres what happend:

I join.
I turn my saber on.
I run around the tatooine map looking for players.
I see a crowd of players, close together.
I jump in the middle of the crowd.
I do a kata - 1 Kill
I swing my saber 2 more times - 1 kill.
Someone says "Nice laming skywalker"
Menu screen comes up "Server Disconnected: was kicked"

In total, about 30 seconds of gameplayer. Maybe 7 seconds without the walking. So... umm... yeah, JKA would be great, if the community wasnt crap. :( I know of 5 servers I can play on without getting kicked:

Kurgans
Chop Shop
2nd Chop Shop
Some laming server
Hunting Wabbits.

Other than that...... well.. ill probably get banned.

Another good point about JA is, you can DL all the maps I make for it :D - J/K...

but really... check out any lukeskywalker1 maps...
 Weiser_Cain
03-28-2004, 9:26 AM
Hmm I hadn't thought about getting kicked...
 Imperial_thug
03-28-2004, 6:32 PM
Originally posted by Radd
I don't mean to single Imperial_Thug out like that, I apologize.

Naw, you got a good point there. I think it would be a lot better community if everyone stopped trying to impose their wills on eachother.
 Suhn-Ank Asasi
03-29-2004, 2:05 AM
I like both games, it really depends on what your looking for. JA offers alot of action while Kotor has a really great storyline, but its more like an rpg.
 Rad Blackrose
03-29-2004, 6:41 AM
If you want story, a true character development system, and something that falls outside the Republic/Imperial bit, KotOR is for you.

On the other hand, if being able to shoot people and handle lightsabers with your own controls is your thing, then you would want JKII.

But at the same time, you have to remember that both games have their limitations on depth. Even though mods such as xmod reintroduced certain gameplay elements, it's still not as strategically in-depth as it can be if Raven had worked harder at it (JA reference).
 Master William
03-29-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by txa1265
That doesn't make any sense ... especially when you refer to the SP as being OK ... shouldn't it be the SP that would suffer in your opinion based on comparison to KotOR due to the plot, etc?

Playing Fallout 2 doesn't obviate Deus Ex, nor does BG2 or NWN obviate Diablo or Dungeon Siege. They have similar themes but different genres. You can prefer one over the other, sure, but they needn't be mutually exclusive.

Oh well, to each their own. I love each in their own way.

One more thing - since when were we only allowed to like one? Personally, I like the feeling of having a difficult choice when I finish a game deciding what to do next. Difficult because of so many choices, that is ...

Mike

I just like the SP because it is smoother and has a bit more features, it feels different from the MP. In SP there are no whiners or cocky people, just you and lots of NPCs to spawn and kill.
 Prime
03-29-2004, 4:15 PM
In SP there are no whiners or cocky people There are no whiners, but there are plaenty of cocky people in SP. Those Reborn keep talking trash to me!
 txa1265
03-29-2004, 8:35 PM
There are no whiners, but there are plaenty of cocky people in SP. Those Reborn keep talking trash to me! The funniest thing is when they are in the middle of saying something like 'you will die' and you kill them ...
:D

Mike
 Master William
03-29-2004, 10:06 PM
True, very true.

"Hokey religions aint a match with a good /npc spawn vehicle command at your side, kid."
 Batdroid
04-01-2004, 12:58 AM
I only rented KOTOR and it is a good rpg but if u don't like rpgs it does get boring in about 5 days,
i got ja on xmas and still play it. mp is good even on xbox, but i did find sp a little short but it does has replay value for both sp and mp. if u like rpgs and only have the money for one of them get KOTOR, But if u like fps more get ja, But get them both if u have the money
 Prime
04-01-2004, 5:59 PM
Originally posted by Batdroid64
But get them both if u have the money This is really the best option if at all possible. They are both a lot of fun IMO...
 Ham Yoyo
04-02-2004, 8:14 AM
JA all the way. :cool:
Page: 1 of 1