Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

JK2 of JA engine for CTS MOD?

Page: 1 of 1
 lkraan
02-25-2004, 12:39 PM
I have been told a whole bunch of times to make my MOD, Cardboard Tube Showdown, for JA and not for JK2.
But I have not really heard a good reason for doing this.
The reason why I wanted to stick to JK2 is:
- JK2 was more successful, more people own a copy of it.
- The MOD won't have vehicles
- Dual saber fighting isn't needed

I am at the stage that I have a couple of models working in JK2, a lot of weapons are ready to be coded in and mapping has started.
So before coding really starts and mapping starts to get serious I need to pick an engine.

Can anybody give me some good reasons why JA would be better for CTS?
 Wudan
02-27-2004, 1:31 PM
It really depends on how much of what you have done would have to be scrapped if you moved it up to JA. Doing your mod on an optimized engine, such as JA, seems like a good idea, and without vehicles and such, your coder has more variables to play around with. The only downside to JA is it's decreased player capacity, which shouldn't be a problem since CTS is for a smaller group of players anyway.

Technically, you should be able to make the mod for either engine, and perhaps both.
 Psyk0Sith
02-27-2004, 5:08 PM
I have no clue who these characters are (because i've never seen penny arcade) but i'll keep an eye on this MOD. Looks very "professional" the models are just so great!

Best of luck!.

Yeah mm sorry for being off topic...

I think you could make this mod compatible for both JO and JA. I dunno much about the code but i imagine JA might have a few extras that could be useful.
 lkraan
02-28-2004, 6:04 PM
Wudan...you're right about CTS being for a smaller audience since it's catered to Penny Arcade fans. Optimsed engine does sound better.
I can always release the player models on the side as separate MODs for JK2 and JA. That way everybody wins :D

Psyk0Sith ... Thanks! :D Never seen Penny Arcade? They have funny reviews and insights in the game industry and most of the time a funny comic to go along with the news. They udpate on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
I have used your tutorial on how to get a model to work in JK a ton of times! Great help! :D
 razorace
02-28-2004, 7:19 PM
Originally posted by Wudan
It really depends on how much of what you have done would have to be scrapped if you moved it up to JA. Doing your mod on an optimized engine, such as JA, seems like a good idea, and without vehicles and such, your coder has more variables to play around with. The only downside to JA is it's decreased player capacity, which shouldn't be a problem since CTS is for a smaller group of players anyway.

Technically, you should be able to make the mod for either engine, and perhaps both.

JK2 had a higher player limit?
 lkraan
02-29-2004, 12:35 PM
Razorace, with the player capacity I think that Wudan was referring to the amount of people that own a copy of the game. Of JK2 more copies were sold than of JA.
 Wudan
03-01-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by razorace
JK2 had a higher player limit?

JK2 maps were built with 32 players in mind, JKA was built with 16 in mind. More people own JK2, to be sure.

I know it's possible to set JKA up for more players, but you'll have that nasty 'crushed in to another dimension' or whatever it says. It's simply built for less, and it plays better that way.

Less is more. CTS is the same way, I think.
Page: 1 of 1