Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

**OFFICIAL**: SIEGE Star Destroyer is OUT!!!

Page: 3 of 4
 Andy867
02-26-2004, 6:16 AM
non-functional? It ran flawlessly on my computer. In fact, I didnt even have to worry about the dynamicglow or any of that, plus I used the All-Seeing Eye and never used the in-game browsers anyways, so that didnt affect me in any way. And I dont know what bugs you guys ran into, but my game was just fine. The patch simply fixed stuff that I had no problems in the first place, or never used. Oh, and did you know the patch was out sooner than expected? Even though people bitched about needing one since Day1, which is very pathetic of the community. 99% of the community cant even make a model, more less an entire game, so be happy that they even made JA for us. And then they have shown support to those who have sought it, like the big modder groups and such. Like ChangKhan has been a tremendous help for Manquesa in fine tweaking his vehicles, and I know the AOTC:TC and other groups have been in constant contact with Raven staff for support. So I dont see this lack of support fiasco that you are referring. And plus they even gave us a christmas present of 6 maps, which is more than what anyone expected. No one really even knew about the Bonus Mappack, (cept me and maybe a handful of other people close to raven). And for support, they also provided that Siege Vehicle Tutorial (which obviously you didnt download and check out) or you wouldnt be complaining about the support. So in reality, Raven has really been there when needed and they have done a lot more, people are just too blinded to see it.
 Amidala from Chop Shop
02-26-2004, 6:25 AM
Originally posted by SpaceButler13
I meant the non-fucntional game out of the box for what was it, 3 months? The patch came out on Nov. 10 so it was less than two months.

The single-player game was fully functional from day one. Multi-player was functional except for the ingame server browser. People using the All Seeing Eye and Qtracker (granted, a minority of all players) were playing multiplayer from day one.
 t3rr0r
02-26-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Neverhoodian
Ummmm...he helped MAKE the map, so I think he knows what he's talking about.
he was talking about wade.
 tFighterPilot
02-26-2004, 1:23 PM
This is a great looking, and very fun map. It looks exactly like a real Star Destroyer (even by it's size)

I think the people that doesn't like it, doesn't like it because it was made by Raven, which is very pathetic.

Look for Red_Leader or Alpha_Leader, who keeps spamming binds, in the game :cool:
 Uber_Saber
02-26-2004, 1:40 PM
Originally posted by t3rr0r
he was talking about wade.

Thank you, t3rr0r. That is indeed who I was talking about. Actually, I can see where he got that idea. I just found that quote from ChangKhan too funny.
 Neverhoodian
02-26-2004, 2:17 PM
Oh, sorry. My mistake.
 Master William
02-26-2004, 3:12 PM
Link please?
 Kengo
02-26-2004, 4:21 PM
Originally posted by WadeV1589

Plastered all over forums...hmm...you mean those places we have to hunt down and find them or ask for what we need? Like I said I had to actually ask for a hyperspace tutorial before one was posted. They release the first siege space map and then alongside it the tutorials which we should have had with the SDK; instead they've done what a lot of people do, hold fame back for themselves, ensuring they get the first vehicle siege map out...and then they make it pure vehicles.

I can see a lot of you won't budge on this being a great map...but none of you can come up with why either, you say it's the first vehicle siege...ask yourself why it is. Aside from that, I see no fun in it after the first couple of times, it's more repetative than anything yet.

Like here for instance? Hardly obscure...
http://www.map-center.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=25)
Raven (the editor as opposed to the company) took the time to bung up a bunch of tutorials here, along with those that came with the SDK.

You can't quantify whether its great or not really, that subjective - if you enjoy the Rogue Squadron esque combat (Its no X-Wing granted, but that was a far more complex game) then you'll probabaly enjoy it. One thing it offers over KOTOR is a sense of purpose, methinks. I think its impressive they managed to code in a flight type game (infinitely better than the unbearably terrible Battle for Naboo....why LEC, why???) in what is basically an FPS.

As for terribly flawed out of the box, I don't buy that. Sure, the lack of a working ingame browser was a bad ommision, but that was the only thing that didn't work, and it has to be said most ingame server browsers really suck anyway, hence the proliferation of other ones, QTracker being my fave. It worked fine other than that, you guys should try Championship Manager 4 out of the box, that actually didn't work hardly at all without the patch they released on the day it came out....

:eek:
 tFighterPilot
02-26-2004, 4:47 PM
(infinitely better than the unbearably terrible Battle for Naboo....why LEC, why???) That's also subjective, I like Battle for naboo!
 WadeV1589
02-26-2004, 5:56 PM
ike here for instance? Hardly obscure...
http://www.map-center.com/modules.p...=viewforum&f=25)

Find it on the Raven website or Lucas website then I'll agree with you, finding it in forums posted unofficially by a Raven employee is obscure. You'll also note I am a member of those forums and if you search I think you'll find the time I asked for a tutorial on hyperspace.

Oh and Raven have their own official forums of which there hasn't been many posts by the Raven guys. So it really is obscure as you'd have to know what you're looking for to find it on Google...and going with the amount of posts on here when people can't even search in these forums that's a lot of people lost!
 Kurgan
02-26-2004, 5:58 PM
Load it up as a Siege map (if you just want to check it out) and simply spawn in a bot on the opposite team.

Note that bots won't do anything useful, although on the Imp team they will sometimes get into a TIE and then crash it in short order (doh!).

\rcon addbot rebel <skill 1-5> <teamcolor: red or blue>

And no need to get upset. Bottom line: it's out NOW and it's cool, so give it a try.

No need to bash JA either because remember that Siege Destroyer was never marketed as a feature of the game (the only place you heard about it was that spanish preview that was talking about a cancelled feature, which Raven told us to remove since they didn't want to get people's hopes up about a cancelled feature).

So it's just coolness that they finally got it polished up (and let us test it) and released. It won't be the last thing that was unfinished and only hinted at in the retail release that gets hammered out later.

Personally I think they did a great job with JA. Though I'm sure we all wonder had, LA given them another year to polish and refine the game, who knows what would have happened?

Of course by then the whines of "the Q3 engine is so dated!" would be even louder than they were already!
 tFighterPilot
02-26-2004, 6:15 PM
Originally posted by WadeV1589
Find it on the Raven website or Lucas website then I'll agree with you, finding it in forums posted unofficially by a Raven employee is obscure. You'll also note I am a member of those forums and if you search I think you'll find the time I asked for a tutorial on hyperspace.

Oh and Raven have their own official forums of which there hasn't been many posts by the Raven guys. So it really is obscure as you'd have to know what you're looking for to find it on Google...and going with the amount of posts on here when people can't even search in these forums that's a lot of people lost! Show me one company who has more support for their games.
 Lightning
02-26-2004, 6:49 PM
Originally posted by tFighterPilot
Look for Red_Leader or Alpha_Leader, who keeps spamming binds, in the game :cool:

Found one was that you??
 Kengo
02-26-2004, 6:53 PM
Originally posted by tFighterPilot
That's also subjective, I like Battle for naboo!

Sure its subjective, any opinion is. Seriously, how can you like that game? :) I mean...its.....impossible to play...looks terrible....I actually got it packaged free with JO.

I guess Wade, but if there are a tonne of tutorials from a Raven employee on a forums you are a member of, well, that seems OK to me? I've seen so many companies far less supportive of the editing communities, for example Westwood (officially at least)dissaproved of any editing of their games, until they became EA Standard Games Unit 5 of 8 or whatever they are now.

Anyway, debate on the point of how good it is seems pretty pointless, you either love it or you hate it, it seems - like marmite, which I hate incidentally.
 tFighterPilot
02-26-2004, 7:15 PM
Originally posted by Lightning
Found one was that you?? yeah, both of them :cool:
 Cataphract_40
02-26-2004, 9:58 PM
On an unrelated note, has anyone noticed how annoying it is when some TK-ing idiot decided to have a huge laugh by becoming Jedi class and jumping on top of your X-wing/Z-95? It completely prevents takeoff. Friggin' annoying. :mad:
 Rumor
02-26-2004, 10:57 PM
lmao
 TK-8252
02-26-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Cataphract_40
On an unrelated note, has anyone noticed how annoying it is when some TK-ing idiot decided to have a huge laugh by becoming Jedi class and jumping on top of your X-wing/Z-95? It completely prevents takeoff. Friggin' annoying. :mad: ROFL!

Another idiot on a friendly-fire server just camped in the Star Destroyer hanger with a Disruptor Rifle and killed all the players as they spawned.
 manoman81
02-26-2004, 11:59 PM
Yeah I was on a server where this person or whatever decided it would be funny to fly ships into everyone. The team I was on couldn't even come close to completeling any objective because of this kid....

On the subject of Jedis jumping the aircrafts, someone jumped on me right as I was lifting up to take off and I sorta killed....Sorry who ever that was....
 Cataphract_40
02-27-2004, 2:11 AM
He deserved it. Team disrupting *&^$@%.
 Andy867
02-27-2004, 2:37 AM
Well, luckily in Asteroids, Tk'ing wont be an issue... (cough cough)
 manoman81
02-27-2004, 3:51 AM
You do not know how happy I am to hear that Andy....

This maybe a tip for those that don't feel comfortable flying just yet(hope that you guys don't mind). I was playing against someone tonight and he was telling me wasn't too good flying yet. I go to thinking and told him to go and find Battle for Endor. I know it was posted a long time ago somewhere in the forums here. For me, I actually got a lot of practice in that game and helped me out here somewhat. If I can find the website, I'll try to post it again. Check it out and I hope it helps....
 Jedi Luke
02-27-2004, 4:23 AM
Downloading it now. Thanks heaps Andy! :)
 Master William
02-27-2004, 7:21 AM
I can't join a single server with this mod because I get the error "Couldn't find siege classes" or "Server uses protocol 24" or it even starts up and then suddenly shuts down.
 Andy867
02-27-2004, 7:31 AM
do you have the latest patch (1.01)?
 Crow_Nest
02-27-2004, 7:59 AM
Originally posted by Master William
I can't join a single server with this mod because I get the error "Couldn't find siege classes" or "Server uses protocol 24" or it even starts up and then suddenly shuts down.

Protocol 24 means the server is using the retail version. (1.00)
 AJL
02-27-2004, 8:54 AM
That is very good map but it would have been nice to have
FFA version of it too... :rolleyes:

And because of some unknown reason my mod doesn't
like that map very much...
 tFighterPilot
02-27-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by manoman81
Yeah I was on a server where this person or whatever decided it would be funny to fly ships into everyone. The team I was on couldn't even come close to completeling any objective because of this kid....

On the subject of Jedis jumping the aircrafts, someone jumped on me right as I was lifting up to take off and I sorta killed....Sorry who ever that was.... Happened serveral time to me. Why are those idiots jump on my X-Wing?!?

It's quite funny when 2 imperials are trying to get inside the same ship, and one of them drops down to space :D
 Master William
02-27-2004, 12:08 PM
Yep, I got 1.01. It has been giving me this "Siege classes could not be found" error even before I downloaded this map. I get the error on all Siege servers. I can create a server with the map though...
 Kurgan
02-27-2004, 1:43 PM
Maybe it's time to clean up your /base folder (remove all the mods except for destroyer) and reinstall JA and the 1.01 patch.

Then try it.

Maybe there is some file you've got that's conflicting.
 Crow_Nest
02-27-2004, 2:00 PM
Y'know when i first saw the map i was smiling, but when i played it i was like :\
 AIVAS
02-27-2004, 4:57 PM
Hey, did ya know that once the shields are down (tractor beam is all that's left) you can board the imperial hangar and take ties, I've had the rebels leave the tractor beam until 30 seconbds left after stealing all 8 imperial ties (teams were unbalanced) and leaving them stuck in the hangar!

Also, if you low down your ship as much as possible, you can pass THROUGH the shield as both imperial and rebel, but you'll usually get shot before you can try it.
 manoman81
02-27-2004, 5:42 PM
Question: Has anyone tried using Teamspeak or anything like it with this yet?
 Andy867
02-27-2004, 6:35 PM
You mean like voice commands and such? I use them all the time. Like Stick together, and I require some assistance, or I'm coming. Just stuff like that I use. and the occasional "MEDIC":)
 Amidala from Chop Shop
02-27-2004, 6:55 PM
Originally posted by Andy867
You mean like voice commands and such? I use them all the time. Like Stick together, and I require some assistance, or I'm coming. Just stuff like that I use. and the occasional "MEDIC":)

Teamspeak (http://www.teamspeak.org/) and Ventrilo (http://www.ventrilo.com) software allow Voice over IP (VoIP) communication, so you can actually talk to other people you are playing with\against in an online game.

Yes, no more typing, no more "chatkills", no more chatbinds, just real-time voice communication with wireless (cell phone) sound quality.

And it's free!

If everyone used it, online gaming would be so much better.

Unfortunately, 95% of people are too lazy to download free maps, map packs, client-server mods, etc., even semi-offficial JA Bonus Map Packs from Raven, much less something like Teamspeak or Ventrilo that takes 5 minutes to set up, so forget it.
 Andy867
02-27-2004, 6:59 PM
Ahh ok, never head of teamspeak, but I use ventrilo, actually thinking about using at our "testing", Amidala:) have a couple people be on the rebel server, couple be on the Imperial server, and let them have their commands.
 tFighterPilot
02-27-2004, 7:51 PM
Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop
Teamspeak (http://www.teamspeak.org/) and Ventrilo (http://www.ventrilo.com) software allow Voice over IP (VoIP) communication, so you can actually talk to other people you are playing with\against in an online game.

Yes, no more typing, no more "chatkills", no more chatbinds, just real-time voice communication with wireless (cell phone) sound quality.

And it's free!

If everyone used it, online gaming would be so much better.

Unfortunately, 95% of people are too lazy to download free maps, map packs, client-server mods, etc., even semi-offficial JA Bonus Map Packs from Raven, much less something like Teamspeak or Ventrilo that takes 5 minutes to set up, so forget it.
I'm just fine with my ocasional
(when with rebels) Red_Leader: Red leader standing by
(when with empire) Alpha_Leader: Alpha leader standing by
(yes, I have binds that changes my name :cool: )
 manoman81
02-28-2004, 1:28 AM
OK I was just wondering. I have yet to use it while playing. Is there any difference between Ventrilo and TS, one better than the other?
 Crow_Nest
02-28-2004, 5:31 AM
Originally posted by manoman81
Question: Has anyone tried using Teamspeak or anything like it with this yet?

No, it causes lots of lag with everyone speaking. Chatting normally is better.
 Jedi Luke
02-28-2004, 7:22 AM
HOLY SH!T THIS MAP ROCKS!!! :rock:
 Andy867
02-28-2004, 9:07 AM
Contemplates onto whether he should tell the public that Asteroids is now coming with a new version of... Or maybe tell them the new version has new... Or maybe...

Oops I've said too much
 Kurgan
02-28-2004, 2:21 PM
Now Andy, what did I tell you about not getting the fans too excited before it's time? ; )
 Crow_Nest
02-28-2004, 2:35 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan
Now Andy, what did I tell you about not getting the fans too excited before it's time? ; )

Andy has gone mad ever since the day before the release of the star destroyer map :D
 tFighterPilot
02-28-2004, 3:13 PM
remember me in the game |GG|Crow_Nest? I was Red_Leader and\or Blue Leader :)
 Kurgan
02-28-2004, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the tips AIVAS!

Those voice programs sound interesting. As long as they don't require any special equipment (maybe I'll get one of those microphone headsets just the same) or cause extra lag I'm all for trying them out.

I remember back in the day people raved about Roger Wilco, but it was shareware and didn't work with my soundcard (at the time). I never did get around to trying it for online gaming...

Voice Commands are rather helpful in Siege and in Destroyer especially!
 Master William
02-29-2004, 11:25 AM
Wait a second... I thought Asteroids was the siege_destroyer map? Oh god I'm confused...
 SlapNut
02-29-2004, 1:39 PM
not many servers have it yet, and the ones that do make me have 300-400 ping and i have broadband.
 tFighterPilot
02-29-2004, 1:59 PM
Originally posted by SlapNut
not many servers have it yet, and the ones that do make me have 300-400 ping and i have broadband. You leave to far from anywhere. I can usually find some european server with less then 150 ping.
 Kurgan
02-29-2004, 2:43 PM
Wait a second... I thought Asteroids was the siege_destroyer map? Oh god I'm confused...

Destroyer is the two hangars and the small asteroid field around the ISD.

Asteroids by contrast is two (slightly different) hangars and a HUGE asteroid field. It actually has two maps, one with an addition giant asteroid in the center that you can fly through, and the other without the giant asteroid.

Asteroids adds four new ships plus numerous tweaks and bug fixes to the formula as well.
 tFighterPilot
02-29-2004, 3:42 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan
Destroyer is the two hangars and the small asteroid field around the ISD.

Asteroids by contrast is two (slightly different) hangars and a HUGE asteroid field. It actually has two maps, one with an addition giant asteroid in the center that you can fly through, and the other without the giant asteroid.

Asteroids adds four new ships plus numerous tweaks and bug fixes to the formula as well. I assume it's impossible to explain the difference without advertising Astroids :rolleyes:
Page: 3 of 4