Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

KotOR and KotOR2 Savegame Editor (KSE) - Current Version: 3.3.3

Page: 17 of 25
 Gir19
09-15-2006, 2:44 PM
ok, I have tried using ActivePerl and nothing worked, So I figure I will try to compile the program myself on my system, that should fix any issues with the wrap, but I ran into a problem there as well. I am missing some modules needed to be able to compile, here is a screenshot showing which modules are missing, if you could let me know where I could get the missing modules I would be most greatfull.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l288/Splatt19/kse.jpg)
 Darkkender
09-15-2006, 5:09 PM
All of the modules that begin with Bioware can be located at pcgamemods. Tk102 released the source modules there about a year and half back or so. As to the other modules you will need to use the PPM utility to download them off the internet. PPM should be in the "Bin" folder for your perl installation.
 Gir19
09-15-2006, 6:05 PM
thanx for the help guys, I got the missing modules and compiled it. It works great now. Great work Tk102
 canterbrigian
09-17-2006, 1:28 AM
hi,

Newbie to Kotor2, only having just finished patched (v 1.0b), but un-modded installation on Windows XP.
on my second attempt at the game (I've only got one savegame so far (am on Peragus at the T3 section) from this run, excluding the autosave and the quicksave), I fetched a copy of the savegame editor v3.3.3 today (16 Sep 2006), but when attempting to install the editor, I got the error message about the dialog.tlk file size error, referencing spells.2da).

I checked the troubleshooting thread and tried to follow its instructions:
attempt to re-install, which results in same error
attempted to look for spells.2da in savegames, but no such file exists (globalvars.res, partytable.res, savegame.sav, savenfo.res, and screen.tga are all that exist in each savegame)

Since I have never attempted any mods (no installing or attempts at installing), the caution about un-installing a mod would seem to be inapplicable...?

Thanks in advance for advice.
 tk102
09-26-2006, 7:02 PM
v3.3.4 released

v3.3.4 - Recompiled with newer version of TLK handler. Should prevent some unexpected "Memory could not be 'read'" errors.

I've also included the source file and all the supporting Perl modules with this version. Most of the Perl modules have been works in progress and many have obsolete or unfinished functions within them -- use caution if you attempt to use them for your own devices... :)
 Lettuce
10-02-2006, 7:38 PM
I dont know if this has been mentioned before but when I tried to mod a X-Box save with v3.3.4 it didnt work. The program shows that everything was done correctly and that it saved the new version of the file but if you close down KSE and go back into the same file nothing will have changed. The save also appears the same way when loaded up on the Xbox. Switching to an earlier version to KSE seemed to fix this problem for me though.
 Non Sequitur
10-08-2006, 3:00 PM
I'm also having issues with 3.3.4. It seems that some features like simple boolean changes (ie the "cheats used" indicator) work, but more complex ones such as inventory modification and name changing result in either no change at all or a corrupt save file.
 tk102
10-08-2006, 6:52 PM
I'll roll it back then to 3.3.3 for now. Done.
 Aayla Offee
10-26-2006, 7:33 PM
Is it possible to change the options of having Revan female and good? if you've already choosed male and bad unknowningly? heh
 Tupac Amaru
10-26-2006, 8:14 PM
Is it possible to change the options of having Revan female and good? if you've already choosed male and bad unknowningly? hehYou can change those with KSE. Revan's gender is stored in the global number 101PER_Revan_Sex. Set its value to 1 for female Revan, 0 for male. For Revan's alignment you need to set 101PER_Revan_End: 1 means Revan was evil, 0 good.
 Totenkopf
11-14-2006, 11:49 PM
Tried using KSE 3.3.3 on a saved game (KOTOR) and changed PC appearance to another character (HK47), but when trying to change back to original one, the pc was headless. This happened shortly after arriving on Taris, so only NPC in tow was Carth. Can you change back to original appearance for PC or are you stuck w/headless version? thanks.
 tk102
11-15-2006, 12:15 AM
Hello Totenkopf,
This is a known issue. You can make it so that both you and HK47 have the same PC head or you can switch HK47 back to some other head and your PC's head should reappear. To be twins with HK47, read on.

Symptom: You change appearance to look like one of your party NPCs and all is well
until you attempt to enter a new area with that NPC. Then the NPC loses its head!
Same holds true for the PC....

Cause: SW:KotOR doesn't like two unique characters appearing together.

Fix: From T7Nowhere's post on Holowan Labs--

I know how to fix the head problem, but it will take a bit of work.

The thing about it. Bioware set it up so that you can't encounter an npc with your
head, so in appearance.2da there is a normalhead and backup head columns.

SO in order for and npc not to loose there head that npc would need an backup head.

There is a way to remedy this and it is simple open up appearance.2da with KotorTool (if you have that file in override then open that appeance.2da) go to [the PC's appearance row] and scroll over until you see columns "normalhead" & "backuphead"
and simply type [the same number that's in the normalhead column] in the backuphead column save the file back to override. And now
you and [HK47] can be twins.
 Totenkopf
11-15-2006, 1:07 AM
Have installed KOTOR tool and in process of fiddlin' w/it, but have another question. Noticed while using KSE that some of the selections can alter appearance (Gadon, Gendar...) while others (Uthar, YB...) stay appear in same clothes regardless of what you put on them. Can this be changed w/KT as well? If so, how exactly? Thanks in advance.
 tk102
11-15-2006, 3:58 AM
The answer lies in the way appearance.2da affects your uh, appearance. :) What KSE does is to change the appearance.2da lookup record for you or your party NPCs. The numerous columns in that .2da file define what textures are used for the different robes, armor, etc. You can use KotOR Tool to make any necessary modifications you like. Uthar, for example, has the same textures defined across each of the columns.

This appearance.2da walkthrough provides a lot more detail.
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=148638)
 Fred_Leonard
11-25-2006, 10:08 PM
Kotor2 problems.

It's extremely buggy on the PC!

The big problem is that I am stuck on Nar Shadda. There seems to be no way out due to the many bugs. I save often because of the constant application quitting (after all it is Windows).
I have battled in the lower levels and knocked out the Wookie.
It didn't let me switch parties afterwards, and I am just tuck there. It's like the end of round didn't trigger.
If I cheat my way out, then Mira is not availabl in my party. She in on the Hawk, and I can interact with her, but I cannot pick her in a party, and the Jedi Master will not reappear.
Does anyone know what variables to change with the editor, or how to get around this stuck situation?
I got by it easily on the X-Box, but the PC version is really bug ridden. I loaded the latest updates.
I have restarted back a ways from one of my previous saves, and I end up in the same stuck situation.
I defeat the Wookie, the Gas has no effect on me, and from what I can tell from the guide, I should change parties at that point.

Thanks for any help!
 Zer0DazE
12-06-2006, 1:18 PM
crashing when opening a xbox kotor1 save

12-06-2006 12:13:35 KSE startup v3.3.3
12-06-2006 12:13:49 KSE found KotOR1 saves directory in C:\xbox\SWKotor
Can't use an undefined value as a HASH reference at kotor_savegame_editor3.3.3.pl line 521.

kotor2 stuff works fine though

any ideas?
 tk102
12-06-2006, 2:13 PM
That's an odd place for an error to occur -- trying to read the classes.2da from the 2da.bif file yet KSE seems able to retrieve the other .2da files correctly. KSE 333 has a bound copy of chitin.key and 2da.bif which it will extract unless it finds a copy is already present.

What files did you copy over from the Xbox other than the savegame files? One thing you could try is to delete the c:\xbox\swkotor\chitin.key file and the c:\xbox\swkotor\data\2da.bif file and try again.
 Darth_pwnage
12-06-2006, 9:11 PM
does dis work with tsl?
 Emperor Devon
12-06-2006, 9:44 PM
It does. Welcome to the forums, by the way! :)
 Oligel Ronew
12-07-2006, 6:05 PM
How do you use the editor to make sure that Dustil Onasi appears on Korriban?
 Kazuya-Hartless
12-14-2006, 8:10 PM
Hi, i looked around this forum for about 2 h now and i mainly understand "nothing" to all your scripting, moding, .d2 thing and all that you say.

I finally decided to just ask cuz i have a strange problem with the SaveGame Editor 333.

When trying to load NPC's from the 1st game, i arrive in my savegame area after reloading and everything is black. And in the game menus area, there is no-one in the "lightside/darkside" window.

I installed Kotor2 before installing Kotor1, is it possible the editor doesn't find Bastila, Carth etc... ?

Before this was working but i already had Kotor1 installed before installing kotor2.

But, last time i tried it, all Kotor1 NPC's worked fine for the "appearence" editor, except Bastila(all three of them). When i tried to pic her appearance, the game turns black like stated above or simply crashes.

First off, i'd like to know if you can help me for the first ishue wich doesn't let me choose NPC's from kotor 1 in kotor 2. Then, i'd like to know if i can choose Bastila in this 333 version(i had 326 before) without having trouble making her work. This really bugged me as all other NPC's of Kotor1 worked properly, except Bastila Chan :/

I'm sorry if someone posted this somewhere and i missed it.

Thank you very much.
 tk102
12-15-2006, 3:08 PM
Hello Kazuya-Hartless,
Could you describe what you attempted to do exactly with KSE? I didn't quite catch your meaning when you said you were "trying to load NPC's". Were you attempting to change the appearance of your main PC to appear like another NPC (ie. Bastila)? If so, you may find that you will have to edit heads.2da using KotOR Tool to add a backup head for Bastila.

From KSE-readme.txt (quoting T7Nowhere, a pioneer in .2da editing):
I know how to fix the head problem, but it will take a bit of work.

The thing about it. Bioware set it up so that you can't encounter an npc with your
head, so in appearance.2da there is a normalhead and backup head columns.

SO in order for and npc not to loose there head that npc would need an backup head.
As Juhani is a unique npc she doen not have a backup and when you transition from
one area to another the game checks appearance.2da(I suspect) and since your
character comes first the game will give you juhani's head and she looses hers.

There is a way to remedy this and it is simple open up appearance.2da with KT (if
you have that file in override then open that appeance.2da) go to row 8 which is
Party_NPC_Juhani and scroll ove until you see columns "normalhead" & "backuphead"
and simple type 5 in the backuphead column save the file back to override. And now
you and Juhani can be twins. if you would like juhani to have a different head when
you take hers then simply open heads.2da to find an appropriate female head (or
male. what ever make you happy) and type that number in the backuphead column and
save appearance to override.
In your case you'd want to do that for Bastila, not Juhani.

The presence of TSL doesn't affect how you edit KotOR or vice versa.

(Welcome to the forums! and don't fear, once you look at the files that KotOR Tool exposes, 2da editing will begin to make more sense.)
 Darth333
12-15-2006, 3:16 PM
Note also that some K1 models are not present in Kotor 2 even if they are listed in KSE (Jolee per example). KSE reads the .2da file and does not check if the corresponding models are present so if you happen to chose one of those models, the game will crash.

However, Bastila is in K2 so it shouldn't be a problem (unless you are chosing the wrong Bastila in the KSE list if there is more than one Bastila in the .2da file - I can't check as I don't have the game with me )
 Zer0DazE
12-24-2006, 11:52 AM
That's an odd place for an error to occur -- trying to read the classes.2da from the 2da.bif file yet KSE seems able to retrieve the other .2da files correctly. KSE 333 has a bound copy of chitin.key and 2da.bif which it will extract unless it finds a copy is already present.

What files did you copy over from the Xbox other than the savegame files? One thing you could try is to delete the c:\xbox\swkotor\chitin.key file and the c:\xbox\swkotor\data\2da.bif file and try again.

you are my hero
works great
thanks
 jbondsr
02-10-2007, 1:19 AM
Hi.
I've just started to use the KSE editor and now the enemies are way stronger than normal (I'm at the beginning of the game).
How can I increase my strength without increasing the strength of the enemies?
 chiflutz
03-13-2007, 4:16 PM
Hi.
I've just started to use the KSE editor and now the enemies are way stronger than normal (I'm at the beginning of the game).
How can I increase my strength without increasing the strength of the enemies?

If I remember correctly, the engine scales enemy level with PC level. In fact, all of Bioware's AD&D-based games have this feature.
 Dahunterman
03-25-2007, 8:51 AM
Sorry if i sound a bit noobish, but can anyone plz help me? when i use KSE 3.33 to edit my xbox saves, i followed the readme that came with the product but it keeps saying no saves found for TSL. I even used it with all the numbers that came with it when i copied it from the xbox UDATA and it refuses to work. Can anyone plz give me a tutorial to use it with xbox saves?

Thanks in advance.
 tk102
03-25-2007, 6:18 PM
All the info I have on the subject is in the kse-readme.txt
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Manually specifying the game installation path (Xbox users take heed)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
You can manually specify the installation path for KotOR or TSL by right clicking
the node that says "Knights of the Old Republic" or "The Sith Lords". A popup
menu will appear next to your cursor. Choose 'Change Installation Path' and you
will be prompted to browse for the installation folder. The tree will be updated
automatically if savegames are found. Note that KSE expects the following files and
file structure:

\dialog.tlk
\saves\(various save folders)\savegame.sav
\saves\(various save folders)\savenfo.res
\saves\(various save folders)\globalvars.res
\saves\(various save folders)\partytable.res
\texturepacks\swpc_tex_gui.erf [OPTIONAL - for item/spell/portrait picture display]
\override\(.2da files or .uti files) [OPTIONAL]

(As of v3.3.3, the chitin.key and various .bif files are not required)

Note: Make sure you're specifying the mock installation folder when you tell KSE where you've "installed" TSL, not the "saves" folder.

Also, the savegame.sav file should be in \saves\somefoldername
There shouldn't be any other subfolders. What exactly is your directory structure that you're using? (If you're familiar with using a command prompt... from your mock installation folder you could do a "dir /s *.* > myfiles.txt" command and post the contents -- that would be quite helpful.)
 Dahunterman
03-25-2007, 8:55 PM
Thanks for that tk102. i didn't make a mock installation folder or hav a subfolder in saves.
Workin fine now and it's awesome.

Thanks again.
 Dahunterman
03-26-2007, 8:23 AM
Hi, me again. I have another problem. Whenever i copy the edited game over to my xbox, it says it is damaged if i try to load it. Anyone know whats goin on?
Also i was wondering whats with the gender options? how come there is a Both Gender? ;)

Thanks Again.
 tk102
03-26-2007, 10:51 AM
This corruption is due to the fact that KSE cannot update the SAVE_HEADER.sig file correctly, so you can only make limited modifications. More precisely, you can only replace things, you cannot add or remove things... things include character classes, inventory, force powers, even the number of letters in your character's name. You *might* be able to get away with adding something new and deleting something to balance it, but this is just conjecture on my part. I don't have an Xbox to test on.

Note the double-astrisks in this section of kse-readme.txt:
The following
fields are currently editable:
- Savegame name
- Player name
- NPC Name
- Appearance (player and party)
- Portrait (player and party)
- Attributes
- Skill Ranks
- Feats (add/remove)**
- Powers (add/remove)**
- Cheats Used flag
- Hit Points (current and max*)
- Force Points (current and max*)
- Experience Points (player and party)
- Good/Evil rating
- Credits
- Time played
- Class (see notes below)**
- Levels
- Current Party
- NPCs
- Global Booleans
- Global Numerics
- Inventory**
- Influence (TSL only)
- Chemicals (TSL only)
- Components (TSL only)
- Quests

*=Note: Max Hit Points and Max Force Points, while editable appear to be calculated
at the time the savegame is loaded. Therefore while these fields are editable, the
game will change the values back to what it calculates as correct. It is therefore
better to change your Wis/Cha and Con to affect your MFP and MHP.

** Not supported on Xbox Saves, will cause "Damaged Savegame" message.
 Coren Saar
04-02-2007, 1:28 PM
I have a problem with KSE. It doesn't work. I start it and nothing happens. I am using an English OS and Windows Xp. Also, I have shut down all the protection programs (like Zone alarms). It just doesn't work. I have both KOTOR and TSL. I have a few saves (what has left) in TSL and over 700 saves in KOTOR.

PLEASE HELP

Edit: Does it have to be installed or just extracted somewhere?
 tk102
04-02-2007, 2:49 PM
Hi! Did you see this thread?
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=163778)

Take a look at the "Troubleshooting Other Errors" portion, including the creation of the kse.log file for deeper troubleshooting. When the crash occurs, the last thing in the log file will give an important clue why.
 Coren Saar
04-03-2007, 8:28 AM
I don't think you understood me well. When I launch it nothing happens. There is no crash because nothing happens really. I just click on it and nothing.
 tk102
04-03-2007, 10:31 AM
No I understand perfectly. It's not a new symptom.

Please try making a kse.log file and see if trying to launch it causes anything to be written to it.
 Coren Saar
04-06-2007, 10:26 AM
How do I do that
 tk102
04-06-2007, 10:39 AM
In Windows Explorer, first choose Tools: Folder Options and on the View tab, make sure you have unchecked Hide Extensions of Known File Types.

Then in Windows Explorer, right click in the KSE folder and choose New -> New Text Document. Rename the text document to kse.log.
 Coren Saar
04-06-2007, 10:45 AM
How was I supossed to install kse in the first place after downloading it?

04-06-2007 15:51:37 KSE startup v3.3.3
Cannot open 'C:\DOCUME~1\IRI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\pdk-Širiæ-3016/boba.bmp' in mode 'r' at /PerlApp/Tk/Image.pm line 21, <DATA> line 171.

There
 tk102
04-06-2007, 11:07 AM
So does your username contain a diacritic or do you have a non-English OS? If so...
From sticky thread (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=163778)
Symptom:
KSE closes immediately launching.

Possible Causes:
You have logged in using a username with an accent mark, an umlaut, or other diacritic. This is a known bug associated with PerlApp.
You have a non-English OS

Possible Solutions:
Try using KSEa, Kotor Savegame Editor Alternate, which is compiled with an earlier version of Perl without unicode implementations. This available at http://www.starwarsknights.com/tools.php)
 Coren Saar
04-06-2007, 11:46 AM
I have a username that contains non english characters. I'll just make another account and I'll let ya know if it's better. By the way, thx for all this time and help :))

Edit: IT WORKED!! I downloaded the alternate version and it worked. Oh man thank you, I really needed KSE. Thank you so ****in much :)
 Marauder's Fury
05-05-2007, 7:38 PM
This is a long thread and I'm sure it's been already asked, but I wasn't able to catch it. So, apologies in advance. :)

I've made some minor changes in the spells.2da file, but KSE wouldn't seem to agree with it. Then I've abandoned it and downloaded a mod named "Ultimate Sound Mod", causing the same problem. When I delete the spells.2da file in the Override folder, KSE starts working. Any way to make good friends with both the mod and KSE?

Thanks, and keep up the great work!
 Darth Manus
05-05-2007, 8:53 PM
In an unrelated note, KSE seems to refuse to run on Vista.
 tk102
05-05-2007, 8:56 PM
I've made some minor changes in the spells.2da file, but KSE wouldn't seem to agree with it. Then I've abandoned it and downloaded a mod named "Ultimate Sound Mod", causing the same problem. Hello,
What exactly is the symptom? Does it give an error message like "Attempted to read past the end of dialog.tlk" or something similar? Does it close instantly?

Take a look at this thread first.

You can get a lot more information about what exactly is causing KSE to crash if you follow the steps under the "Troubleshooting Other Problems" header at the bottom of that thread.
 tk102
05-05-2007, 8:59 PM
In an unrelated note, KSE seems to refuse to run on Vista.
Have you tried running in "XP Compatibility Mode" and "Run As Administrator" ?
 Marauder's Fury
05-06-2007, 10:55 AM
Hello,
What exactly is the symptom? Does it give an error message like "Attempted to read past the end of dialog.tlk" or something similar? Does it close instantly?

Take a look at this thread first.

You can get a lot more information about what exactly is causing KSE to crash if you follow the steps under the "Troubleshooting Other Problems" header at the bottom of that thread.Thanks for your interest, tk102. :)

I took a look at the topic you mentioned. The editor doesn't give me such an error message; it's just Windows' usual error report. It occurs whenever I put a modified spells.2da file into the Override folder. When I remove the file, things return to normal. For example, after installing the Ultimate Sound Mod, I had to delete the spells.2da file from override in order to get KSE up and running. The mod seems to be running with no problems after removing that file, so I don't have an actual trouble with it at the moment, but I wanted to let you know about the problem in case you may encounter a similar problem in the future.
 tk102
05-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Ah, is the 2da file that's in your override readable in notepad? If so, these are called v2.0 2da files and KSE only knows how to read v2.b 2da files. You can convert between the two by opening the v2.0 2da file in Excel (space delimited) and then "Write 2DA" using the Excel 2DA Add-in available from http://www.starwarsknights.com/tools.php)

Did you try creating a kse.log file for KSE to write into? In windows explorer just right click and choose New->New Text Document and then rename the file to kse.log and say yes when it asks you if you want to change the extension. Then try opening KSE again (with spells.2da in the override). After KSE crashes, look at the contents of the kse.log in notepad.
 Darth Manus
05-07-2007, 9:54 AM
Have you tried running in "XP Compatibility Mode" and "Run As Administrator" ?
Yes, both at the same time. I double click the executable but there's no visible response. Nothing new shows up on the Task Manager either.

Edit: 3.3.2a seems to be working.
 tk102
05-07-2007, 10:47 AM
Edit: 3.3.2a seems to be working.
Ah! So you have a non-English OS or a diacritical mark in you username?

symptom #1 (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=163778)

Glad 3.3.2a worked for you. I guess we can't blame Vista after all.
 Marauder's Fury
05-07-2007, 11:10 AM
Ah, is the 2da file that's in your override readable in notepad? If so, these are called v2.0 2da files and KSE only knows how to read v2.b 2da files. You can convert between the two by opening the v2.0 2da file in Excel (space delimited) and then "Write 2DA" using the Excel 2DA Add-in available from http://www.starwarsknights.com/tools.php)

Did you try creating a kse.log file for KSE to write into? In windows explorer just right click and choose New->New Text Document and then rename the file to kse.log and say yes when it asks you if you want to change the extension. Then try opening KSE again (with spells.2da in the override). After KSE crashes, look at the contents of the kse.log in notepad.

The file isn't totally readable. But I've created a kse.log file, and here is the crash report KSE generated:

05-07-2007 17:07:00 KSE startup v3.3.3
05-07-2007 17:07:00 KSE found KotOR1 saves directory in D:\Oyunlar\SWKotOR
05-07-2007 17:07:00 KSE found KotOR2 saves directory in D:\Oyunlar\SWKotOR2
05-07-2007 17:07:04 KotOR2 spells.2da override detected.

Somehow it didn't like my spells.2da. Strange.
 eagle235
05-08-2007, 11:12 AM
TK, i've just reinstalled TSL on a new comp, running vista, and had a friend install tsl in compatibaility mode. My problem now is that when I try to use KSE, none of my changes take effect. any suggestions?
Page: 17 of 25