Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Bast Castle SIEGE

Page: 1 of 2
 monsoontide
02-15-2004, 4:45 PM
Hi Folks,

This is 95% done - It's taken me a while to convert from JO:SAGA - and there's a bunch of changes/fixes etc... just a few textures to make and some tweaks still to be done and I need a small crew for playbalancing since it's a SIEGE map...

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~monsoontide/NewFiles/Bast_01.jpg)

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~monsoontide/NewFiles/Bast_02.jpg)

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~monsoontide/NewFiles/Bast_03.jpg)

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~monsoontide/NewFiles/Bast_04.jpg)

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~monsoontide/NewFiles/Bast_05.jpg)
 monsoontide
02-15-2004, 4:48 PM
 monsoontide
02-15-2004, 4:52 PM
 monsoontide
02-15-2004, 4:55 PM
 Mercenary
02-15-2004, 6:03 PM
This looks really good :)
 Neverhoodian
02-15-2004, 7:18 PM
WHOA! The Emperor hologram startled me!:eek:

This looks great, I look forward to playing it in JA.
 ronbrothers
02-15-2004, 11:31 PM
Whoah .... !
 monsoontide
02-16-2004, 12:33 AM
For those of you who played the SAGA version, you'll find a host of changes.
The most major ones being I took out the "Danger Room" - i.e. Darth Vader's training room, thus making the castle 3-4 floors shorter, but I've changed the ships in the hanger into the appropriate vehicle models, so thye can be flown (Just not very far!!!)
Other minor changes include using the turbo_laser model from the JA:Wedge level instead of the prefab I had been using. Fixing all the models that were showing up with black parts.
Finishing all the trophies in the trophy cases.
Changed several other map-models as well.
Adding lifts in some of the places where you had to jump up the elevator shafts before.
Reworked the objectives a bit, so now the Jedi Team has to escape from the cells and work to power up the shuttle to escape while the Sith team has to prevent this from happening. There is a bit more of a flow to the level at least initially.
Added some npc droids just to make it more interesting as well.
 Andy867
02-16-2004, 4:02 AM
well, if you need a server to host it, mine can support about 6 people at a server rate of about 5,000 or so. And its a 2Mb, 256K upload connection (MIDWEST USA) And since its just for testing purproses (hence the "small crew" portion) I could do it, especially since my time with the Asteroids Project is wrapping up hopefully monday night and then I have a few other projects, but those are mostly done away from the server, so my server is up for for a nomination for hosting Bast Castle - SIEGE.
 Pnut_Man
02-16-2004, 4:08 AM
:eek: Holy christ wagons, that map is beautiful.
I cannot wait.
Once again, awesome job, monsoontide.
 Mercenary
02-16-2004, 4:12 PM
How did you do that hologram?
 Andy867
02-16-2004, 4:33 PM
Probably a similar way that James "XLR8" got the hologram for the emperor skin for the Project: Duality Duel map for JO
 monsoontide
02-16-2004, 5:21 PM
Hi Andy867

That would be really great!!!!
I really need it thoroughly play tested so I can if need be change objectives around and balance the player teams and so on.

I still have to do the custom teams (Since you HAVE to have a force jump of 3 to get around.)

So just let me know where to upload and I'll get onto packing it all up - the bsp is currently about 17mb!!! I've tried to keep custom textures to a minimum, but theres still a few + custom map models etc.
It's gonna be a big download!

I finally have all the SIEGE icons showing up in the right places on the objective map.

As far as the hologram goes, it's just the reborn head re-textured, reshadered and enlarged. Though I may replace it with Mon-Mothma's head since that would make more sense in keeping with the objective.
 Darth_Algar
02-18-2004, 6:00 AM
If u want an emporer head, why not use this model - http://www.jk2files.com/file.info?ID=5718)

Amazing map BTW.
 A-WingPilot
02-18-2004, 10:29 AM
is this a map based from something of star wars?
 monsoontide
02-18-2004, 2:14 PM
Darth Vader's personal castle!

Raven did a version of it in Jedi Academy using a lot of my ideas :p (Since my SAGA map version of this for Jedi Outcast came out before Jedi Academy was released!) ;)
 wedge2211
02-18-2004, 7:25 PM
You'll have to help me out sometime, monsoon, I've got a map I want to Siegify. Gotta learn scripting in preparation for SP. :)
 monsoontide
02-18-2004, 8:47 PM
Working on making new SIEGE teams/classes for the map today but running into trouble - if you f*** it up it actually stops loading the game before you get to the menu with an error about the class not being correct!
Should have more time to work on it tonight, then I'll pak it allup for Andy867 & crew to run through the meat grinder.

PS Anyone know how to get fog to draw in front of a sky shader? - I did have a tutorail for it but have since lost it :(
 Andy867
02-19-2004, 1:04 AM
Hey monsoon, after consulting a mapping guru, he said that to do what you want to do, you could try using the fog hull. Now being a complete n00b, I am not sure what he means, except that fog hull is like multi-volume fog or something like that. Also, the testing might not be able to commence until either sunday night or early next week since I am going out of town on friday for the weekend. Unless you can get the files to me by like 10am CST
(4PM GMT. )
 Nkenobi
02-19-2004, 1:19 AM
Great job!:)
 Lil Killa
02-19-2004, 2:46 AM
A quote from Wedge for Andy and Monsoontide :)

(read the whole thing)

Originally posted by wedge2211
Example fog shader:

textures/skies/examplefog
{
qer_editorimage textures/fogs/fog1.tga

surfaceparm nodraw
surfaceparm nonsolid
surfaceparm trans
surfaceparm fog

fogparms ( 0.4 0.4 0.4 ) 8192
}

The line surfaceparm fog is what tells the game explicitly that this is a fog.

The line fogparms ( 0.4 0.4 0.4 ) 8192 is what does the real work in the fog shader. The numbers in parentheses are the RGB color values of the fog. The last number is the maximum distance (in game units) that players can see before the fog totally obscures their vision.

You can also map textures onto the surface of the fog to achieve an effect like the surface of water shaders. Look at one of the bespin fogs to see this done.

If you have this fog in your entire level, you can add the key/value distancecull 8192 to your worldspawn and nothing beyond the cutoff distance will be drawn in-game, saving your processor a little. For more on this, see the q3map2 foghull guide (http://www.shaderlab.com/q3map2/manual/foghull_guide.htm).
 monsoontide
02-19-2004, 5:17 PM
Well, after a bunch of fiddling around, I finally have the team classes set.
It's a bit twitchy though and one of them still isn't showing up properly.
Still, I have:
Luke Skywalker with his saber - (Very powerful all round but No saber throw though)
Mara Jade with her saber
Kyle Katarn dual sabers
Jan Ors with sniper kit (Also force jump 1 cos regular jump just doesn't cut it)
Jaden Korr single saber
Rosh Penin with saber staff.

What's cool is you can mix dark and light force powers, so I gave Luke force grip (Since he uses that in ROTJ) and Mara dark rage.

Also fixed a couple of minor things in the map. Added a lift. Extended the descent of another lift and made it so when the Jedi pick up the Sith Holocron, they are affected by its evil and they can't regenerate force points while holding it.
Fixed a target print and set a door to locked.

Hi Andy867 - pm me with where I can send this to you. Won't be able to get it to you till saturday night, sunday morning though as it will take about 48 hours to compile!!!! (I'll start it tonight after work)
 monsoontide
02-20-2004, 9:52 PM
OK, made a bunch of minor changes and tweaks.
There's just a bunch of little things left to tidy up and polish off.
Map is now compiling and should be ready for testing on Sunday.

I've planned some further changes that should improve things a bit, but will really be looking forward to the feedback on this map, so I can make it dynamite!

Saw that there were a couple of Siege maps released over at pcgamemods.com but to be honest they looked a bit er... rushed (To put it nicely - but I haven't played them so can't really comment.)
 ace_rogue1
02-21-2004, 4:01 AM
ill help beta test
and i dont think those other siege maps are very good, not balanced
im sorta beta testing a yavin siege map that a fridn is making, its good, but thats anothe story...
can wait for this and your endor
 A-WingPilot
02-21-2004, 5:59 AM
I also want to do the beta test, but when is the beta test of Endor?
 Zappa_0
02-21-2004, 11:15 AM
Wow the map looks awesome.
 Alegis
02-21-2004, 2:45 PM
too bad i can't test, since i'm leaving on vacation tomorrow...i'm really jumping from toe to toe when it involves siege maps.

yeah the new siege maps are a bit rished, its why i look so much forward to this map, except

dont fek up the classes

somethign i found which feked up the new siege maps is that jedi classes got ALL (light+dark force powers) etc, really please dont fek them up (i dont like dark and light side powers fixed)

i see you got pickuble sniper rifles..its not very siege like though (in ffa you can come to the same place several times, but in siege you move on)

I wish the best of luck for this map, it truly looks awesome!
 monsoontide
02-21-2004, 6:42 PM
Hi Andy867

Well, the latest iteration of the map has compiled and I'll have it pk3'ed tonight, so I just need to know where to send it. (It'll be a VERY large file!!! - prob about 20 - 25mb)

As far as classes go, I've set them up according to who the character is. Thus for Luke Skywalker, while he has predominantly light side powers, he also has Force Grip level 2 (As seen in ROTJ)

However, it will be up to the testers to really work out the kinks in the gameplay so it is well balanced.

This SIEGE map isn't quite like the Raven ones where you progress from one region to the next.
It's more of a cat and mouse hunt through the castle with the Jedi having to decide whether to split up to do the objectives more quickly (But thus become separated and weaker) or to keep together as a team (And do the objectives more slowly)
The Sith team has to work out how best to stop the Jedi from completing the objectives.

I still have some changes I want to make to the map, including one major strctural change - as I'm not happy with one of the rooms. But it'll really be playtesting that determines what changes need to be made at this point.

Since each side has a player type that is non Jedi, I included weapons, since I get fed up with being stuck with the same stuff the whole game. This may change, again according to playtesting.
 reapa
02-22-2004, 8:25 PM
OMG WHEN AND WHERE CAN I GET THE PK3?!?! I WANNA DOWNLOAD IT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE I CANT WAIT TO PLAY IT!! Ive been waitin for this since I heard u were converting oooooo please reply soon!
 monsoontide
02-23-2004, 12:53 AM
OK, spent til 1:15 last night reworking a major section of the map and it makes much more sense - To me at least :D
Merged the computer mainframe and the power core into one room, which allowed me to make the castle one room shorter (Thus hopefully speeding up compiling) and giving me back a few func_brushes to use on more interesting things.

Also have yet to do the bot routing - So anyone who wants to practice the map can have an opponent(s) that don't just hop around insanely!

Once Andy867 gets back from his weekend away I'll hopefully be able to upload to him and the team to playtest - which is the part I'm most interested in (And dreading also!:( )

For anyone interested, the current teams are:
Academy:
Luke
Mara
Kyle (Dual Sabers)
Jan (non-force)
Jaden
Rosh (Saber Staff)

Sith:
Noghri (Non Force - but VERY fast)
Reborn New
Reborn Boss
Reborn Twin (Saber Staff)
Cultist
Alora 2 (Dual Sabers)
 reapa
02-23-2004, 1:06 AM
so when exactly does the public(me) get to play this awsome siege map???:confused: :confused: :ewok: :ewok: :ewok: cmon man ur makin the ewoks sad lol
 Lil Killa
02-23-2004, 1:20 AM
We'll probably get to play it when it's done :P
 monsoontide
02-24-2004, 8:01 PM
Had it ready last night to send and everything was fine until I tested it out in game.
It seems that while misc_model_statics load fine in mp devmap mode they won't work in regular game mode.

So back to square one. All the models are now black (or have black parts) again. Sigh :(

Anyway I changed them all back to misc_models and it's compiling again and I should be able to get it to you later tonight. It won't effect playability but it will look like crap.

I'm really hopping mad about this. :mad:

It's a might big file though!!! I'm trying to keep it as slim as I can but it's north of 30mb! It was over 40 til I striiped out all the uneeded custom voices I did.

Should be ready for you Wednesday morning.
 reapa
02-24-2004, 9:28 PM
Thats what I like to hear!! Thats awsome! oh and monsoontide! big fan of ur work, but I have some questions about seige, Im making my own map and I have most of the mapping done I just need to know how to actually set objectives up, u know "If I break this object...BINGO Obj 1 complete" can u help maybe publish a tutorial on a normal persons point of view? Any help would be very helpful! Thx in advance
 monsoontide
02-25-2004, 3:46 AM
There is a SIEGE tutorial doc now available from Raven via the SIEGE Star Destroyer map & tutorial files over at www.jediknight.net) / www.lucasfiles.com)
 monsoontide
02-25-2004, 5:28 AM
Hi Andy867,

Just uploading to the site you specified now (at 56k :( )
SO will take all night (If it works!)
If not, I'll take it to work tomorrow and transfer it there.

Did some crude bot routing and checked the level to make sure all the textures/objects/models were there.

Everything is working except for a couple of broken shaders on the Sith Holocron and the hologram of mon mothma.
 monsoontide
02-25-2004, 9:36 PM
All uploaded and ready for testing...

I look forward to your feedback!
 ace_rogue1
02-26-2004, 2:06 AM
would it possible for those of us watching this thread to know the url of the site monsoontide or andy?
just wanna help make this make perfect
cant wait much longer either way :D :o
 monsoontide
02-26-2004, 3:35 AM
 monsoontide
02-26-2004, 3:36 AM
 shukrallah
02-26-2004, 2:22 PM
A lot of siege maps have been released latley, but this one looks really good. I tried DLing the JK2 version a long time ago, but the DL kept cutting off, so i quit trying.
 reapa
02-26-2004, 7:11 PM
OOOOO so how much longer till you think this map will be realeased?? I need an estimate, it's like Im a junkie goin throuhg withdrawls!
 monsoontide
02-27-2004, 12:31 AM
Well, I'm happy to report Andy867 has the map and it seems to be working fine for him. He's busy organizing a server to test it on, so once the testing is done and any necessary changes made as a result of the testing, expect the map to be released WID ;) (When It's Done!)
 reapa
02-27-2004, 12:37 AM
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WID! that might be like.... along time, oh well thx anyway monsoontide. cant wait to play it! oh can u like email me king_dude7@hotmail.com, when it is, I mean dont go out of ur way too or anything just if u have any time on ur hands. THX
Reapa
 Admiral Chemix
02-27-2004, 4:51 PM
Incredible map, however it would be great if u could make a ffa version
 Pnut_Man
02-27-2004, 7:13 PM
Originally posted by reapa
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WID! that might be like.... along time, oh well thx anyway monsoontide. cant wait to play it! oh can u like email me king_dud7@hotmail.com, when it is, I mean dont go out of ur way too or anything just if u have any time on ur hands. THX
Reapa

LOL, 30 megs in an email, I would pay to see that ;)

I would enjoy seeing a ffa-version of this map--one without barriers that must be destroyed, or doors that must be unlocked, etc.
 Andy867
02-28-2004, 2:06 AM
Actually, its only 24.2MB at the moment, but I did notice a few missing textures around pillar areas. But the server is up for those who have it

24.217.133.29:29071
its only set for 6 people so whoever has it should plan to arrive soon if you want a spot (depending upon how many beta testers there are)

The connection may be fast, but until I get the final server ready, the server used is kinda slow, so expect choppiness every now and then, but hopefully not too much.
 reapa
02-28-2004, 7:03 PM
OMG WHERE CAN I GET THE MAP I WANNA TEST!!!!!!
PLZ TELL ME QUICK AHHH!!
 Lightning
02-28-2004, 7:13 PM
Originally posted by reapa
OMG WHERE CAN I GET THE MAP I WANNA TEST!!!!!!
PLZ TELL ME QUICK AHHH!!

Well i guess just ask monsoontide seeing as he made the map.

And stop with the caps all ready:rolleyes:
 reapa
02-28-2004, 11:19 PM
lol srry just a bit excited I guess, I play JKA for mostly siege, and Ive been waitin for this one to be converted for a long time.:) :D :)
Page: 1 of 2