Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

A guide to "new area" creation

Page: 2 of 2
 sketch42
01-25-2005, 7:56 AM
ok so now i have another question... say i wanted to say take Nurik Sandral and make him an enemy..(meaning attack me o site) do i need to add a script for that or can i modify his utc file ???

now i understand why the doors dont show up ... i dont have the utp? files for them compiled into the mod file ... (right?)
 Darth333
01-25-2005, 8:04 AM
Originally posted by sketch42
ok so now i have another question... say i wanted to say take Nurik Sandral and make him an enemy..(meaning attack me o site) do i need to add a script for that or can i modify his utc file ???
check this thread: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=123618)

you can also make an npc hostile if you change the FactionID in the .utc file to 1 (however, the npc will be hostile right when you enter the module and no dialogue will be possible).

In order not to bring this thread off topic and to keep the forums clean, please use a separate thread when you start a new subject ;)

now i understand why the doors dont show up ... i dont have the utp? files for them compiled into the mod file ... (right?) yes. (but also check the filed ID thing I mentionned a few posts above)
 sketch42
01-25-2005, 8:23 AM
got it... thanks for all the help.. if i have any more questions pertaining to new area creation ill ask here .... theres a wealth of knowledge on this forum... i think every quest has been answered :cool:
 sketch42
01-25-2005, 4:11 PM
ok i tried compiling malak to the mod file and it didnt work... i looked at the post about the field id and didnt really understand what i was looking for in what files...

so here are some pics of what i have

Malaks star forge utc file
http://www.imagemonster.org/getimg/malak_utc.gif)

my .ifo file for the ruins
http://www.imagemonster.org/getimg/ruins_ifo.gif)

my .git file for the ruins
http://www.imagemonster.org/getimg/ruins_git.gif)
 Darkkender
01-25-2005, 4:22 PM
Are you actually inserting the sta_45malak.utc into the mod/erf file.
 sketch42
01-25-2005, 4:26 PM
Originally posted by Darkkender
Are you actually inserting the sta_45malak.utc into the mod/erf file.
yea im compiling it together

Darth333 quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
can i compile it with the Mod file???
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, it's the best solution. It keeps the override folder clean and it avoids overwriting other files which may have the same name or tag.
 Darth333
01-25-2005, 4:44 PM
If you want I can have a look at your files (but it won't be before tomorrow evening). Just PM me.
 sketch42
01-25-2005, 5:42 PM
Originally posted by Darth333
If you want I can have a look at your files (but it won't be before tomorrow evening). Just PM me.

but from wat i posted (the pics) does everything look right??

the Type id for malak i left it the same as it was for the droid... can that be the problem??? wat would be the type id for malak??? how would i find out
 Darkkender
01-25-2005, 9:47 PM
yea im compiling it together

Okay can you provide us with a screenshot of the file contents of your Mod/erf file from erf builder or kotor tool.

because the erf file itself should contain at least 4 files from what your describing the are, git, ifo & sta45_darthmalak.utc
 Darth333
01-26-2005, 4:54 AM
Darkkender, I got the files from Sketch42 and I will look at them. There is no point in posting further screenshots that will just clutter the thread. Plus he says he can go to his new module , the only problem is that new paceables are no showing up.
 sketch42
01-30-2005, 7:00 AM
still no word from Darth 333 ... i assume she is very busy with real life so is there anyone else that can take a look at this file and why it isnt working??

Check your PMs: in fact I did not found anything wrong with the creatures list of your .git file :confused: - Darth333
 brwarner
09-03-2005, 9:11 PM
Um.. I'm working in Kotor 2 and the whereami cheat doesn't do anything i can't even see the cheat box but i know i typed it in. If there is no way to get coordinates that way how can i?
 Darth333
09-03-2005, 9:19 PM
yes, there is a way to get the coordinates: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=144260) :)
 brwarner
09-03-2005, 10:51 PM
I am trying to turn an empty apartment on Cidadel Station into a mini sub quest and i can't add placeables to it. And when i try to edit placeables it doesnt change them. How do I do it?
I am working in the git file is that not what i am supposed to do?
 Darth333
09-04-2005, 12:45 AM
You have to reload a savegame from before entering that area for the first time to see the changes.
 cry_of_paine
09-04-2005, 4:23 AM
If you've saved when you've already been to that module, and don't want to have to, for example, replay the entire level, you can follow the instructions in this thread. (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=150955) In the save file, look for the module with the same name as the one you're editing, and delete it. It should then rebuild that module. I had to do that to get one of my mods to work after I made some changes.

Just make sure to back up the save before making any changes like that.

The first time through, it froze up on me trying to load the save, but I think I might have had the game open when I was making all my changes. Anyway, I rebooted and it worked fine.
 brwarner
09-04-2005, 9:25 AM
Thanks
 brwarner
09-04-2005, 10:47 AM
I appear to have another problem. I have exported all the files in the modules 203TEL.rim and 203TEL_s.rim added a placeable in the placables folder changed one of the placeables in the git by changing the templeteres thing to my placeables name and built all the files into 203TEL.mod and temporarily moved the 203tel rims out and altered the save file but now the game freezes on load of that module.
 Darth333
09-04-2005, 11:33 AM
you don't need to remove the 203TEL_s.rim out . Just leave it there. Since the files don't have the same extension, 203TEL.mod won't delete the other file and the game will use the new file instead of the old one.

Make sure that you don't have any copy of your 203TEL.mod file in your override folder.

When I want to test the location of placeables, instead of altering the savegame, i simply resave the new .mod file under a new name such as 203TEL_test.mod and warp to the new module. When I am testing a side quest and need to edit globals, then I just use KSE to set them where I want.
 brwarner
09-05-2005, 5:33 PM
Well things are starting to work and al my paceables, characters, ect. but I can't talk to them. I used the kotor tool editor to change their dialogs to my ones and they just don't talk. I'm in kotor 2 so do I have to put the dialogs in a .erf file like the others or what?
 Darth333
09-05-2005, 9:45 PM
If you modified Kotor 2 dialogues with Kotor tool, you likely have messed all the dialogues. You have to use tk102's DLGeditor for the reasons explained in this thread:
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=151816)
(and in the modding tools sticky in the general tutorials)
 brwarner
09-07-2005, 7:10 PM
If you modified Kotor 2 dialogues with Kotor tool, you likely have messed all the dialogues.

But I didn't modify them I created new ones.
 Darth333
09-07-2005, 7:33 PM
Do their .utc files point to the correct dlg?
Do you have conditional scripts to make a dlg branch available or not?
 brwarner
09-07-2005, 9:10 PM
I just made a new dialog in KotorTool no scripts no conditions just dialog for a test and it doesnt work they just look at me,
and yes the utc points to the correct dlg file.

Are you sure they shouldnt be in a .erf file like all the others in kotor 2 and not the .mod
 Darth333
09-07-2005, 9:53 PM
can you post one of those .utc files and the corresponding .dlg?
 RedHawke
09-07-2005, 11:29 PM
Are you sure they shouldnt be in a .erf file like all the others in kotor 2 and not the .mod
Pack everything in the .mod file, even the dialogues. :)
 brwarner
09-08-2005, 8:03 AM
 Darth InSidious
09-09-2005, 3:59 AM
Also, in 261TEL, orientations seem not to work in the meditation chamber very well...
Page: 2 of 2