Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Ragdoll Physics in Multiplayer

Page: 1 of 1
 _PerfectAgent_
02-09-2004, 12:33 PM
I know how to do ragdoll physics in multiplayer (/broadsword 1), but does it cause lag in an internet game? Thanks in advance.
 Crow_Nest
02-09-2004, 12:40 PM
1 word:

Nopes :p

Im using it all the time i get the same amount of lag as normal
 _PerfectAgent_
02-09-2004, 2:22 PM
Thanks! That's good to know! :thumbsup:
 Kengo
02-09-2004, 2:27 PM
I wonder why its off by default, its pretty good?
 DarkLord60
02-09-2004, 9:38 PM
I wonder why they turn of all the other things they do.
 Kengo
02-10-2004, 1:19 AM
Originally posted by DarkLord60

What other kinda stuff do you mean? Never really looked into this, so I'm completely in the dark on server options etc :)
 Crow_Nest
02-10-2004, 5:23 AM

Well most of the options from SP (like dynamicglow, shadows... etc) are not showed in MP. Dunno why Raven/LA has to do this to us.

But OJP will make all options from SP appear in the more videos settings in MP.
 Druid Bremen
02-10-2004, 12:41 PM
They're sadistic!
 Kengo
02-10-2004, 4:23 PM
Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest
Well most of the options from SP (like dynamicglow, shadows... etc) are not showed in MP. Dunno why Raven/LA has to do this to us.

But OJP will make all options from SP appear in the more videos settings in MP.

I guess in the case of those its to avoid lag and overal performance hits on a server? I find glow, shadows and such really hit my PC had when I try them in SP.

Still, cool for OJP to give us the extra options.
 Doomtrooper
02-10-2004, 7:01 PM
How do you activate ragdoll when joining a server that you didn't host?
 DarkLord60
02-10-2004, 9:33 PM
I could see why they turn of shadows or you would get lag city.
 _PerfectAgent_
02-10-2004, 9:58 PM
Originally posted by Doomtrooper
How do you activate ragdoll when joining a server that you didn't host?
/broadsword 1 (If that doesn't work, then try 2 instead of 1.)
 Crow_Nest
02-13-2004, 11:32 AM
I could see why they turn of shadows or you would get lag city.

Not lag, low fps. i think the lag depends on the number of people in the server, the country the server is in and stuff like that.....

And if the server crashes, you get the same lame old boring message that says: "Connection Interuppted"
 Kurgan
02-17-2004, 11:16 PM
\broadsword 1 works fine, and it's an individual command (no g_ cg_ or rcon needed before it). It will only turn the effects on for you, every person who plays needs to turn it on for themselves.

Some people say it looks unrealistic, but then so does the "stiff mannequin" bodies we have without it, so it's up to you.

For me (and before the patch) ragdoll sometimes would seemingly crash JA (for example when I was hit by a ton of mines on Siege_Korriban), but post-patch it doesn't seem to have any problems.

As to shadows, I just use simple shadows, since it saves a few FPS on my GeForce2, even though it doesn't look as cool.

Try it!
 shukrallah
02-18-2004, 1:28 AM
Notice how like half of the saber animations were removed from MP. Go play a quick SP level, or spawn some NPCs in SP, and swing your saber at it, Jaden will swing the saber horizontally, it has better animations, its just plain better. The saber animation isnt the same over and over, it varies, even when your just running straight and swinging. Its a lot nicer. They removed this from MP because it lags (or... to reduce lag) or something..... thats why i prefer SP. Its got more animations, and things like that... just looks better, and loads faster.... just better, in my opinion.
 TiE23
02-18-2004, 2:30 AM
(CLUELESS ALERT!)

Wow, I didn't know there was ragdoll in JA!
Can I have a pic please? Just send it to me reigell23@hotmail.com if you take the picture your self, i just have to see this! :rolleyes:

TiE
 Crow_Nest
02-18-2004, 8:09 AM
You mean you've been playing JA MP/SP and you didnt even know there was ragdoll?

Does that also mean you didnt play the demo?
Page: 1 of 1