Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Classes and 2DA editing

Page: 1 of 1
 Weiser_Cain
02-09-2004, 9:47 AM
Ok lets start clean here. The first step on the path to enlightenment is to acknowledge you know nothing.

1 I want to alter some of the existing classes and create and assign new classes to npc's and party members.

2 I also want to change level requirements for some feats depending on your class.

3 I want to make a new spell gain table for a custom Prestige class(is it even possible to have three classes?)

Some questions before I pull all my hair out.

Where are the tables for feats, featgain

Do alignment restrictions work and how do they work? Can i negate levels and feats based on current alignment?

How do I get the class label to change in the menu? Is that text or a graphic?
 Ellderon
02-09-2004, 7:49 PM
I tried making a new class a while ago...

While you can add a new class to the classes.2da, it will call for powergain and featgain table of your own class (or you will be restricted to using some of the other classes).

Now, you CAN'T add a new feat gain table in the featgain.2da since, unlike classes, class-specific gains are determined in COLUMNS, not in ROWS, and the 2DA tool cannot add new columns...yet... but the next version will be able to.

Once that is done, you will have to make your own files that will determine feat/powergain that you will call in some of the other files...

EDIT: I'll try to clarify this in more detail..

Look at classes.2da...there are 10 rows there, for 10 existing classes...
The columns read: label, name, description, hitDie, attackbonustable, featgain, spellgain, powergain, skillpointgain, str, dex...etc...you get the picture...

you can add a new row and call it...let's say, Force Soldier...a soldier that can use the Force

Now you just copy all the basic entry for a normal soldier - str, hitDie, Dex, primary attribure...etc... now we want him to be spellcaster, so we set the spellcaster column to 1, and since the player can't choose the calss, we'll set it as a non-player calss, (playerclass = 0). He will allso need a Force Die in order to have Forcepoints

Now, this is all basic and simple...the columns featgain, spellgaintable, skilltable, featstable call for a SOL file (for soldier).
In order to make a new class, they have to call for a completely new file (let's name it FSOL)..

Now in the mentioned .2da files you need to add the FSOL column with it's stats...
Let's look at featgain...
It has 20 rows, for 20 levels..... the columns are names sol_reg, sol_bon, sct_reg, sct_bon...etc... the first two are for the soldeir and they seem to tell the Pc when he can get a new feat (the second, _bon column is the same for all classes)

the allmost same system is for the classpowergain.2da

The other files I still didn't find, so i don't exactly know how they work....
 Weiser_Cain
02-09-2004, 10:18 PM
Thats more helpfull...I think.
Gah! this needs to be in the next Kotor Tool so I can stop thinking!

Here's an idea, could there be a way to temporarily extend your force bar at the expense of your life bar? Or maybe some sort of force rage that ups your stats and restores some of or boosts your force points, at the cost of life and a decrese in light side points.
 Sunslayer
02-12-2004, 3:44 AM
Hey, I'd be in for helping you out with classes, I think it'd be great to add a few.

Any idea how we can add new images to appear at the class selection menu so you can slect to be a new class from the beginning? We'd also have to assign the normal class clothes... so use something already in the game, but with regular clothes states, and maybe a new texture. Here's an example:

Bounty Hunter: Mandalorian Armor (no helmet version)
 T7nowhere
02-12-2004, 4:21 AM
Now, you CAN'T add a new feat gain table in the featgain.2da since, unlike classes, class-specific gains are determined in COLUMNS, not in ROWS, and the 2DA tool cannot add new columns...yet... but the next version will be able to.

Actually you can add new colums to the 2da's useing kotor tool sort of.
what you do is save the 2da as an XML, then open that XML in word pad and edit a new Column in, save it and reload the XML to kotor tool's 2da editor. useing the classes 2da it would look like this to add a new level <effcrlvl21>1</effcrlvl21>
although you won't be able to add levels this way it's just an example to add a new column until the Fred Tetra writes it into Kotor tool.
 Ellderon
02-12-2004, 9:18 AM
Wow! - I didn't know that! I'll start doing my own class right away!
 Sunslayer
02-12-2004, 11:19 PM
That's good news.... now, how this effect the new game class selection screen? What we want here is to be able to squeeze in extra pictures so we can choose the extra class. It's going to take some researching and trial and error.... :)
 -JT-
02-13-2004, 7:07 AM
if i understand this correctly it is possibel to get a level 1 Jedi
just paste the jedi classes over the ``normal classes ``
(i on the other hand do not know if this causes the same prob as hex editing, because i do wnt to see the ingame player movies.)
 AKira Core
02-14-2004, 3:35 PM
whell i think ther is a wey but that will inqaer to change and add new gui elements and redesigning the interface in my opinion it wuld be posibel to re cunstruct some of the interface for class creation with help from the nwn sorce files but that will inqaer tomodify the key files ....o whell
 Ellderon
02-14-2004, 9:02 PM
I tough that adding columns might help, but the featgain and classes call for some other files I couldn't locate....
 Kishkuma
01-29-2005, 8:53 PM
Allright, I know this is a REALLY old topic, but I have searched these forums for the last two hours or so, and maybe I just suck at searching, but this is the closest thread I have found. Anyway, my problem is thus:

I have edited what I believe are all the necessary .2da files to completely add in a new class. (When I say completely, I mean as a class that you could apply to your character AFTER creation, via savegame editing). But I dont know how to give this class to my PC, since the Kotor Savegame Editor doesn't detect it. Is there some other way to do this?

As a sort of side note, I modified the Minion class to use the features of my custom class (ie feat/skill progression, bonus feats, vp/fp, force power progression, name, etc) and it seemed to work when I started a new game and changed my character's soldier class to Minion with KSE, except that he never got force powers. I had set it up so that this class would start gaining force powers at level 11, but he nevered gained any fp or force powers all the way up to level 14. So I dont know what that was about. I think it might be a problem with KSE, because I was also unable to give any fp to a soldier character when I tried that as a test. Anyways, any and all help is appreciated.
 Achilles
01-29-2005, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Kishkuma
Allright, I know this is a REALLY old topic, but I have searched these forums for the last two hours or so, and maybe I just suck at searching, but this is the closest thread I have found. Anyway, my problem is thus:

I have edited what I believe are all the necessary .2da files to completely add in a new class. (When I say completely, I mean as a class that you could apply to your character AFTER creation, via savegame editing). But I dont know how to give this class to my PC, since the Kotor Savegame Editor doesn't detect it. Is there some other way to do this?

As a sort of side note, I modified the Minion class to use the features of my custom class (ie feat/skill progression, bonus feats, vp/fp, force power progression, name, etc) and it seemed to work when I started a new game and changed my character's soldier class to Minion with KSE, except that he never got force powers. I had set it up so that this class would start gaining force powers at level 11, but he nevered gained any fp or force powers all the way up to level 14. So I dont know what that was about. I think it might be a problem with KSE, because I was also unable to give any fp to a soldier character when I tried that as a test. Anyways, any and all help is appreciated. Hopefully someone with a better memory than mine will jump in here, because I can't remember the exact reasons why but adding new classes isn't possible IIRC.
 RedHawke
01-30-2005, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Achilles
Hopefully someone with a better memory than mine will jump in here, because I can't remember the exact reasons why but adding new classes isn't possible IIRC.
You are correct Achilles, totally new classes aren't possible... for some strange reason. :D
 Kishkuma
01-30-2005, 9:45 AM
Yeah, I was afraid that would be the case when I couldn't find ANY threads on it aside from this one. ^^; Well, thanks for the reply.

I am curious though... why can't KSE give force powers/force points to a non force using class...? Any ideas?
Page: 1 of 1